Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:51:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Belles v Everton  (Read 4800 times)

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Re: Doncaster Belles v Everton
« Reply #30 on May 18, 2013, 10:12:16 pm by VivaRovers »
Currently on the train back to London having travelled up for the game today. Probably should be enthused by a good performance by the Belles and the long-awaited return of Sue Smith, but more than anything I'm annoyed at the lack of support this town gives the Belles. Sign an online petition? Yeah sure. Actually get off my arse and do something? "Ooh, err, well, Eurovision is on tonight isn't it, and, well, err, you know"

Thank you to all who were in that 301.

Please please please can the rest of you get along to the next Belles game. It's your football fix for the summer right on your doorstep, battling against the odds, for your town. Just give them a chance

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 18, 2013, 10:44:19 pm by Dare to dream! »
I'm a Doncaster Rovers fan not a Doncaster Belle's fan. I don't go to every football game/sporting event in Doncaster just because its in our town. Some people are interested and support the belles well done to them but the majority don't. Get over it.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 18, 2013, 10:52:43 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes I thought there would be a few more there however, no doubt quite a few folk all togged up for the races and, there must have been about 1000 down at Finningley to see the Vulcan on it's first outing of the year.

I left there early to get to the Keepmoat. I was a bit stunned that they were still charging £4 for the Car Park, when it was £6 to get in!

I thought the Belles played very well and had the lions share of the game and perhaps with better finishing, it would have been a different result. Everton looked more polished in possession but Belles were more gritty and direct. Very impressed with the two up front and 3 or 4 other really good players.

The crowd that was there seemed to enjoy themselves and just like any match, once you settle in to watching the game, it's just as entertaining and absorbing as any other.

Shame about the result, They deserved better. 

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 18, 2013, 10:53:38 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm a Doncaster Rovers fan not a Doncaster Belle's fan. I don't go to every football game/sporting event in Doncaster just because its in our town. Some people are interested and support the belles well done to them but the majority don't. Get over it.

Got to agree.

Sorry guys but you can't act incredulous and pissy just because people do not like something that you like. I have watched women's football down the years but there was no chance of me attending today's game. Not only did I have better things to do with my family, but quite frankly women's football still has a long way to go before it is marketable as a national sport that garners plenty of interest. The quality just isn't there, and as a result neither are the fans. I also don't think that this new WSL was a well executed idea by the FA, an 8-team closed shop league isn't the way to go to try and instill competition and interest in the women's side of the sport.

Good luck with the appeal, as I don't think it's fair to relegate a team based on the perceived size of the club one game into the league season. But if the Belles finish in their current position, last place, I think you will be hard pressed to find a legitimate reason why the Belles shouldn't be demoted to the second tier.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 19, 2013, 12:05:19 am by eastender »
Why a 6pm Kick off on a Saturday night ? no chance of a decent crowd.  :(

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 19, 2013, 08:34:01 am by The Red Baron »
Good luck with the appeal, as I don't think it's fair to relegate a team based on the perceived size of the club one game into the league season. But if the Belles finish in their current position, last place, I think you will be hard pressed to find a legitimate reason why the Belles shouldn't be demoted to the second tier.

You know what? If the FA had said that the team that finishes bottom in the WSL would be relegated I'd have no problem with that either. Neither would anyone associated with the Belles. That's how football is supposed to work.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 19, 2013, 10:20:07 am by FuzzyDuck »
Exactly.  Had the method been that the 7 leading clubs in WSL + the WPL champions will be invited to form WSL 1.  All other applicants will be invited to play in WSL 2 there would be no complaints.  That is not what has happened.

It is such a shame that our town cannot get behind this.  Had the 10 or so who turned up at the Frenchgate to protest been 50 or so.  And around 1000 at the match there would be momentum to our protest.  As it is, it's hit the buffers as it looks like even the town isn't interested.

To be honest, I'm not a women's football fan and I don't look out for the Belles' results.  I just think this issue is bigger than women's football.  It's a clear example of the FA tipping the playing field in favour of who they perceive will be successful due to their finances.  They've done this subtly and not so subtly for years in the men's game.  On this occasion it's so blatant that it's laughable.

Sadly, very few seem to have the will to go an extra mile and ensure this remains highly visible and embarrasses the FA

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 19, 2013, 11:00:33 am by VivaRovers »
Perhaps I was a bit strong in my message up thread, but I was genuibely annoyed. One of the town's sports clubs really need support, more so than ever, and folk aren't there. I thought principle, in regards to the FA, would outweigh feelings on women's football in general, but obviously not. I think my annoyance stemmed from when we were flyering in town in the day and were waved away by people wearing Rovers shirts or jackets or those of other football teams. Whether its being played by men, women or kids its still football and the issues are still prevalent.

My point about under supporting doesn't just apply to the Belles. How many times have we questioned where Rovers support is? And the Dons as well. The town seems to want to consume its sport in pubs and front rooms rather than at actual sporting venues. How do we begin to change that?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 19, 2013, 12:25:17 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Was good to see you there Glen along with Paul Mayfield and Lee Croft however, there also seemed to be a lack of former Belles Players who I thought would have turned out. Not many representatives from DRFC either that I could see.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 19, 2013, 01:17:23 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Good points by many here excluding the "I'm not a Belles' fan so why should I bother?" merchants.

The point is if an injustice has been made against someone, if they're not interested, who else is?  If ex-Belles couldn't come along you've got to ask why.  The same applies for DRFC.

Nice of all who have signed the petition but that's easy.  Putting yourself out to go to a match takes a bit more.  Disappointing that more couldn't make the effort, disgusting that people wearing Rovers shirts couldn't even take a flyer with grace.

Anyway.  The battle rages on.  I'll be dropping strategic EMails, Tweets and Forum posts as long as the FA continues with this disgraceful stance.  My Leeds supporting wife will do the same.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 19, 2013, 01:42:04 pm by RoversAlias »
Aye, good points and I was merely objecting to the tone of the disgruntled posts. I know it is frustrating that people can't get behind the Belles but like I said there are many reasons for this beyond just the people of Donny being lazy or anything like that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012