Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:44:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Manager decision imminent  (Read 8087 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Manager decision imminent
« Reply #30 on May 18, 2013, 03:35:51 pm by RedJ »
Why would we accept that it's one of them?? Maybe it will be but there's no evidence it will be at the minute..
The bookies don't have a clue, they proved that in January

no, there is evidence to suggest it will be one of them. John Ryan saying its down to 2, they are both bookies first and second favorite, people from Yorkshire post who have contacts saying them two have been interviewed and the daily mail a national newspaper already claiming Dickov has got the job. That could all turn out to be bullshit but atm its all there is and it strongly suggests it will be one of those two. What evidence do you have that suggests it will be someone completely different?

All your evidence is a bit tenuous though, isn't it?..

but thats all there is and all you can go on you cant just say it wont be any of them two when theres nothing to suggest it

You can't say it's absolutely bound to be one of them either, just going by all that.

I'm not saying there's no chance it'll be either of them, but there's nothing to say that it definitely is one of the two, is there?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 18, 2013, 03:36:28 pm by dickos1 »
Nobody is saying it won't be one of those, but your saying it definitely will be.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 18, 2013, 03:45:31 pm by graingrover »
Aidy Boothroyd most likely out of the 4 play off team "'mangers'' .

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 18, 2013, 03:49:19 pm by bedale rover »
Still hoping that it is phil Parkinson..............

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 18, 2013, 03:55:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Unless you've sat in the interviews and heard what each had to say how the hell can you judge?

I still remember how many groaned when o'driscoll was appointed.  I assume most of you grumbling want a name? Perhaps we should wait, see and give the guy a chance.

Im just going on what i've seen and read which strongly suggests it will be one of those two. Other people are going on hope and claiming it will be someone completely different.

Don't think anyone's bothered about a name tbh but at least o'driscoll had a good reputation before we got him neither Dickov or Appleton do.

My point is idiots are proclaiming it's the end of the world if it's so and so or so and so. Frankly that is ridiculous.

As far as I can see it keeping Oldham in league one and doing well in the cups was a good effort from dickov. Again we don't know what his plan would be to do. He's done better than Appleton who struggled in his career so far but seems highly rated all over.

But people seem to want someone seen as more fashionable which I'm not so sure is right.  Football fans are strange writing someone off despite having no facts on them based on a whim. Now I'm sure someone will bring up 'well Oldham fans didn't rate him'. Well they didn't rate wellens or furman either.

It's funny you never know what a manager has to battle with. Saunders takes over a club in turmoil and is derided as useless. Sod at Bristol takes over and does nothing yet he's ok they were in trouble before.  It's amazing that near the same situation gets different thought behind it.

lambert1989

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 18, 2013, 04:01:37 pm by lambert1989 »
I think the original post been pieced together from two tweets from Rob Staton, JR was apparently tight lipped about the 2 candidates

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 18, 2013, 04:12:42 pm by MiKA »
Of the 2 i'd take Dickov but Appleton is a big no for me and would choose DS over him ant day.  Hopefully JR still has an ace to play from under his sleeve 

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 18, 2013, 04:15:25 pm by Pintolager »
If Dickov is appointed as the new manager, I think we had better be prepared to be on suicide watch judging by how some posters on here are likely to react.......  :crying:

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 18, 2013, 04:17:07 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Why would we accept that it's one of them?? Maybe it will be but there's no evidence it will be at the minute..
The bookies don't have a clue, they proved that in January

no, there is evidence to suggest it will be one of them. John Ryan saying its down to 2, they are both bookies first and second favorite, people from Yorkshire post who have contacts saying them two have been interviewed and the daily mail a national newspaper already claiming Dickov has got the job. That could all turn out to be bullshit but atm its all there is and it strongly suggests it will be one of those two. What evidence do you have that suggests it will be someone completely different?

Yes, just like everybody nailed it and knew it was going to be SO'D from the moment DP was sacked up until he was unveiled, eh?

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 18, 2013, 04:21:40 pm by Dare to dream! »
If Dickov is appointed as the new manager, I think we had better be prepared to be on suicide watch judging by how some posters on here are likely to react.......  :crying:

Can you blame people though? Coming into a tough league with one of the smallest budgets and we go and get an unproven manager. I think people will support him anyway even though most people don't want him. majority of our support will give him a chance. Could you imagine if this was Leeds he would lose one game and they would want him out.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 18, 2013, 04:27:01 pm by Pintolager »
But you rightly make the point that the majority of fans will get behind the new appointment (whoever it is) and let him get on with the job. We can all be disappointed with things in life but it's how we react to situations that matters. Dickov and Appleton wouldn't be my choice but if either of them were appointed, then so be it.....we just move on and see what happens.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 18, 2013, 04:47:53 pm by silent majority »
I think its poor form to state it's down to two candidates when the interview process is not complete yet and we still have other candidates to see and hear from.

My second point is that I'm glad some of you on here are not part of the interview panel with such massive overreaction based on opinion and gut feeling. This interview process is probably the first time that we haven't, or the majority of football clubs, have based a managerial appointment on sentiment or other emotional attributes.

As has been made public on more than one occasion an 18 point checklist was produced which candidates had to meet, and then a very thorough job description and briefing document has been produced for all candidates.

It's that type of thoroughness which is unusual in football circles, but is becoming part of the Doncaster Rovers way of doing things. What the club want and need is somebody who 'gets' what Doncaster Rovers is about and can accept the limitations of being here but also shares the ambitions of the owners and directors. That is more difficult to quantify, but I can assure you that there is a balance between success on the pitch and accepting our position in the community and the responsibility that comes with that.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 18, 2013, 04:52:27 pm by MrFrost »
I think its poor form to state it's down to two candidates when the interview process is not complete yet and we still have other candidates to see and hear from.

My second point is that I'm glad some of you on here are not part of the interview panel with such massive overreaction based on opinion and gut feeling. This interview process is probably the first time that we haven't, or the majority of football clubs, have based a managerial appointment on sentiment or other emotional attributes.

As has been made public on more than one occasion an 18 point checklist was produced which candidates had to meet, and then a very thorough job description and briefing document has been produced for all candidates.

It's that type of thoroughness which is unusual in football circles, but is becoming part of the Doncaster Rovers way of doing things. What the club want and need is somebody who 'gets' what Doncaster Rovers is about and can accept the limitations of being here but also shares the ambitions of the owners and directors. That is more difficult to quantify, but I can assure you that there is a balance between success on the pitch and accepting our position in the community and the responsibility that comes with that.

So is JR incorrect in his interview stating it is down to 2?

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 18, 2013, 04:54:25 pm by scaley back rover »
in jr i trust

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 18, 2013, 04:57:10 pm by wilts rover »

Any chance of getting one of those for the 'fans' to SM - I think several might fail it?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 18, 2013, 04:59:47 pm by RoversAlias »
Did J.R. say anything of note after that snippet of audio posted? Cos it cuts off with the interviewer mid-sentence about to ask J.R. another question about the manager.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 18, 2013, 05:00:08 pm by Filo »

It does n`t help speculation when JR says things publicly that conflict what we have been told

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 18, 2013, 05:00:54 pm by silent majority »
Mr Frost,

What I put is that I think it's wrong to quote numbers before the process is complete. What I do know is that we have at least one more candidate to see and then follow up sessions will take place with the most likely candidates before a decision is taken. There is a process to this that will be followed, for the very reason that the club want to get this right and select the best candidate. My guess is that we will not hear anything until Tuesday at the earliest.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 18, 2013, 05:02:53 pm by silent majority »
Filo,

We all know John can comment publicly when it's not appropriate, just count his FA fines!! He lets his enthusiasm get away with him, just like most football fans do.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 18, 2013, 05:04:31 pm by wilts rover »

Its not really clear is it? Does he mean they are down to two from the three they have interviewed? Or is it one from the three they have interviewed plus Monday's interviewee? Or maybe there isn't really an interview on Monday - maybe its a second interview for the two strong ones? Or maybe they have only interviewed two so far and they are both strong candidates? Or maybe its all a smokescreen and Lee Butler has already been appointed.

I haven't got a clue but see how easy it is to make things up from a vague quote.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 18, 2013, 05:05:05 pm by Filo »
Filo,

We all know John can comment publicly when it's not appropriate, just count his FA fines!! He lets his enthusiasm get away with him, just like most football fans do.

Yeah I know that, can`t some one put a media gag on him when we go through process`s like this?

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 18, 2013, 05:05:44 pm by SkellowRover »
Fingers crossed that it's Phil Neville. Highly regarded and respected, knows what he's doing as a coach with the work he's been doing off the field at Everton (Is also wanted on the england coaching team alongside Gary) and i think would relish the opportunity. Not to mention we might get a season out of him in midfield next season too!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 18, 2013, 05:06:09 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I think your being generous there Wilts, most would fail it. What SM has just stated proves yet again that DRFC are light years ahead of other Clubs in wanting what is best for the community as a whole and being responsible in who they appoint to fulfill that demand. Whoever gets the job will be the best person at this time for that role and deserves 100% support despite any personal reservations we may have.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 18, 2013, 05:22:36 pm by Wellred »
i cannot understand why some people are wanting Phil Parkinson because he has had one good season at Bradford. He was a failure at Charlton in the championship so why would he be any better with us?

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 18, 2013, 05:40:33 pm by Drover »
Maybe JR should be asked to only make comments like this in the Rumours site?  :whistle: :silly:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 18, 2013, 05:42:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Its not really clear is it? Does he mean they are down to two from the three they have interviewed? Or is it one from the three they have interviewed plus Monday's interviewee? Or maybe there isn't really an interview on Monday - maybe its a second interview for the two strong ones? Or maybe they have only interviewed two so far and they are both strong candidates? Or maybe its all a smokescreen and Lee Butler has already been appointed.

I haven't got a clue but see how easy it is to make things up from a vague quote.

I think the thing to remember is its one man who'll get the job. Whether that's one from two ten or fifty is irrelevant I guess. We'll know when it's down to one. I think people should just be that little more patient.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 18, 2013, 06:43:53 pm by dickos1 »
If dickov is unproven then what's Neville, definitely needs to learn the ropes somewhere before being thrown into a relegation battle in probably the most competitive league in world football..

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 18, 2013, 07:07:43 pm by Red wizard »
I'd rather Appleton over Dickov. I just can't see how Dickov ticks many of the boxs.

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 18, 2013, 07:54:45 pm by PaulRover08 »
I don't think you can say he deserted Portsmouth. He showed them great loyalty when others would have walked away. Blackpool however is another story. You are quite right on that one.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 18, 2013, 08:08:02 pm by southwestexile »
Tbh, I've had enough manager talk for now. Lets get it done, buy some players and get ready for a survival attempt. Likely to be a nervy time in S.Yorks next season. What odds we all go down?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012