Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:10:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Radio Sheffield  (Read 5112 times)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Radio Sheffield
« on May 21, 2013, 05:37:09 pm by Wellred »
A pal of mine was telling me he heard on Radio Sheffield that they were saying Paul Dickov has been appointed to be the new Manager of Doncaster Rovers and many Rovers fans were unhappy with this news.

Just goes to show where they get their information and how much damage some "fans" on this forum can cause.

I can just imagine JR hearing that and thinking. "Here we go, just got promoted to the championship after coming top of the table, hoping season ticket sales will take a boost and all I hear is negativity."

Maybe it might be a good idea to just stop and think before you post on here and give more ammunition to our "favourite" radio station to have yet another dig at us.  :chair: :chair:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
Re: Radio Sheffield
« Reply #1 on May 21, 2013, 05:42:55 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
98% of the fans on here support Paul Dickov (re-read the other threads). A very select few said they were uninspired by the appointment. Pretty much every media outlet nowadays sensationalise everything to pull in more listeners/readers. This is hardly the fault of a tiny minority on here. A don't see the link and think you're talking rubbish.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 21, 2013, 05:45:27 pm by jonnydog »
Speaking of ST sales, does anyone know what the figure currently stands at?!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 21, 2013, 05:57:43 pm by graingrover »
I have not understood this ' social' phenomenon , of moaning groaning and negativity . Having lived 'away' for 50 years .. dare I ask is it a regional thing as I honestly don't come across it very often over 'ere !

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 21, 2013, 06:00:23 pm by Donnyrovers »
It is a forum and people are allowed to express their opinions whether they are disappointed or pleased, you will find that most fans will get behind him and give him a chance even if it wasnt the appointment they wanted.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 21, 2013, 06:04:00 pm by LincsRover »
And as has already been expressed - where is the story in "Doncaster Rovers fans happy with Dickov appointment"?????. The media always focus on the most sensational story, and unfortunately it is usually the negative which is the bigger story!!

:clapping: :scarf: :clapping: :scarf: :clapping:

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 21, 2013, 06:39:01 pm by Wellred »
98% of the fans on here support Paul Dickov (re-read the other threads). A very select few said they were uninspired by the appointment. Pretty much every media outlet nowadays sensationalise everything to pull in more listeners/readers. This is hardly the fault of a tiny minority on here. A don't see the link and think you're talking rubbish.

For someone who portrays himself as a cut above everyone else on this forum you do surprise me.

Are you suggesting there is something "select" about the 2% of moaners?

I hardly think that by "sensationalising" the fact that a number of Doncaster Rovers fans are not happy at the appointment of Paul Dickov will encourage more people will listen to Radio Sheffield.

I am surprised you don't see the link. I would have thought someone as astute as yourself would have seen the link straight away.

Talking rubbish? I guess by not agreeing with you I must be then.

Oh well keep feeding the local radio station and let the other clubs in south Yorkshire's fans so how pathetic some of our fans are.

Rovers-on-Thames

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 21, 2013, 07:24:05 pm by Rovers-on-Thames »
I really can't tell whether you are being ironic or not now. Compared to the two Sheffield clubs (and probably every other club in the division barring Yeovil and B'Mouth) our fans are a godsends for giving managers a chance and supporting generally what the club does. Dickov is lucky in that regard - imagine if he got the job at the shame of South Yorkshire - there would be a 6/7k with no shoes on for the rest of the season.

And the only reason I listen to Radio de dar is to the laugh at the moaners/Brian the blade. I don't take it too seriously as a journalistic outlet to care beyond that point.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 21, 2013, 08:34:07 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Wellred, that is probably only the 2nd thing you have ever posted on here that I can agree with, but well said.

BTW, I am given to exaggeration occasionally, it's possibly the third time I've been able to agree with you.

mina75

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 22, 2013, 01:07:23 pm by mina75 »
I think both you and Radio Sheffield have mis-undertsood a few of the posts. I would say that these posts aren't negative more cautious in there approach, I am one the posters that have said i'm uninspired with choice, but have also said i will get behind him and that i trust JR, these were the only type of comments i have seen since his appointment.

It's typical of a media outlet to take the negatives out of comments, but i'm sure members of the board will visit this forum and see the comments aren't really negative.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 22, 2013, 05:41:30 pm by Wellred »
I think both you and Radio Sheffield have mis-undertsood a few of the posts. I would say that these posts aren't negative more cautious in there approach, I am one the posters that have said i'm uninspired with choice, but have also said i will get behind him and that i trust JR, these were the only type of comments i have seen since his appointment.

It's typical of a media outlet to take the negatives out of comments, but i'm sure members of the board will visit this forum and see the comments aren't really negative.

and you have misunderstood my original post.

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 22, 2013, 05:50:43 pm by scaley back rover »
quite simply radio dee dah is by dee dahs for dee dahs . That could be their new slogan

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 22, 2013, 06:02:26 pm by Lincoln Rover »
I feel certain that in the not too distant past that in a poll RS was the media outlet we as rovers fans used the most in terms of radio stations. Please correct me if I am wrong

docothered

« Reply #13 on May 22, 2013, 08:14:58 pm by docothered »
Radio Sheffield is a poor excuse for a local radio station, The topics which are highlighted about Doncaster are always negative whereas they put a positive spin on stories regarding de da land.This is the same on look north and calendar especially around local sports issues.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 23, 2013, 09:24:02 am by Sprotyrover »
Radio Sheffield is a poor excuse for a local radio station, The topics which are highlighted about Doncaster are always negative whereas they put a positive spin on stories regarding de da land.This is the same on look north and calendar especially around local sports issues.

I listen to radio Sheffield but I doubt anybody else on the forum does.So why slag it off?
Example Tuesday morning they had an interview with John Ryan. Nobody on here but me must have heard it.
Why?...because in it John stated That we had targeted a group of quality players a Striker,two midfielders,a central Defender and a Goalkeeper! If all those signings come off. We will have a very strong squad. So no posts  on here indicate nobody listens to the station.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 23, 2013, 11:27:27 am by RedJ »
But it'd already been stated in the papers that we were after 5 key players and it would have been fairly obvious to most what positions we'd be adding to.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 23, 2013, 11:49:19 am by Sprotyrover »
Yes it has been stated on here by a few exponents of 'Championship manager' but not by John Ryan.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 23, 2013, 02:52:06 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Sprotyrover I agree with you. Because we listen to RS we appear to be in a minority. There ARE more of us, trust me. RS doesn't ALWAYS get it right but on the whole they are accurate. The presenters are knowledgable with good contacts. They are there to prompt discussion and to sometimes challenge your view. I like that. Perhaps some people just like to have a go with little or no knowledge, and dare I say sometimes ever speaking to the presenters or calling in RS. The simple reason we don't get the callers on is WE are DRFC hardly call. I listen intently to my fellow rovers fans calling in with their views and am heartened by the fact our numbers are slowly increasing.We will not have the numbers that the Wendy's or blunts have in terms of callers, but whose bothered. It's your show its your team, but if cant be bothered to ring in, but can slag the station without exploring the facts.... Then whose fault is that? That's just my opinion.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 24, 2013, 12:46:00 pm by RobTheRover »
You've got a season ticket on Football Heaven havent you , Derek?

;)

docothered

« Reply #19 on May 24, 2013, 05:59:49 pm by docothered »
I've rang radio Sheffield 6 times this year 3 to Football Heaven 2 to Toby Foster 1 to Rony Robinson , So ive contributed significantly more than most, that said I still find that it is biased towards the Sheffield clubs and our town that's why I ring about Doncaster to put a more positive light on our Massive Town and the fantastic pub team that they over look .

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 24, 2013, 06:19:41 pm by River Don »
In the car home after a match we always have Radio Sheffield, moan & grumble on. I sometimes listen to the midweek show too but that is normally unremittingly Sheffield callers. When they cover our games live, I think they do a decent job and always have a good co-commentator, the likes of Dave Penney or Mickey Walker.

On the whole I find them to be pretty fair to the Rovers unless we're competing with a Sheffield club, either in a match or this season in the places at the top of the league. Then it can be like they have to remind themselves that Rovers are a local side. That and Paul Walker. He doesn't try too hard to disguise his sympathies for the blunts anymore. Seth Bennett was genuinely enthusiastic about the Rovers, shame he moved on.

Things would probably improve if more Rovers supporters phoned in. Then again none of us who share the car have ever bothered.

docothered

« Reply #21 on May 24, 2013, 06:30:01 pm by docothered »
Maybe we could get at least 10 rover's fans to call or at least try to get on after every game and see how many get though, That way we can show South Yorkshire just how passionate we are about our club and then we would see how many rovers fans get on the show

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 24, 2013, 06:44:39 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Well seeing I am a season ticket holder " on the show" I will certainly sign up to that one. I totally agree we're never gonna match the big two in terms of callers, but we can certainly put over the positive side of our magnificent team.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 24, 2013, 06:49:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Never had a problem with RS. In fact the opposite. On the whole they have done some wonderful commentaries on Rovers games. The phone ins are great for hearing your rivals suffer!

Totally agree with Derek.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 24, 2013, 08:05:20 pm by hoolahoop »
Sprotyrover I agree with you. Because we listen to RS we appear to be in a minority. There ARE more of us, trust me. RS doesn't ALWAYS get it right but on the whole they are accurate. The presenters are knowledgable with good contacts. They are there to prompt discussion and to sometimes challenge your view. I like that. Perhaps some people just like to have a go with little or no knowledge, and dare I say sometimes ever speaking to the presenters or calling in RS. The simple reason we don't get the callers on is WE are DRFC hardly call. I listen intently to my fellow rovers fans calling in with their views and am heartened by the fact our numbers are slowly increasing.We will not have the numbers that the Wendy's or blunts have in terms of callers, but whose bothered. It's your show its your team, but if cant be bothered to ring in, but can slag the station without exploring the facts.... Then whose fault is that? That's just my opinion.

I listen to RS too every day but there is a massive bias and that's just what I would expect. There's no point in pretending otherwise.

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on May 25, 2013, 12:47:58 am by scaley back rover »
i tried for a couple of weeks when i came back to donny and gave it up . Whilst we are not as big as the dee dah two i felt they didnt care about us or the dingles or rotherham just those two . I did try and when i need a laugh i do put raisen crumble on but they again thought sheff utds promotion push was more important than ours. On a positive note brian the no brain blade cheers me up no end the amount of shit that bloke talks he should be in politics

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on May 25, 2013, 01:34:21 am by RedJ »
i tried for a couple of weeks when i came back to donny and gave it up . Whilst we are not as big as the dee dah two i felt they didnt care about us or the dingles or rotherham just those two . I did try and when i need a laugh i do put raisen crumble on but they again thought sheff utds promotion push was more important than ours. On a positive note brian the no brain blade cheers me up no end the amount of shit that bloke talks he should be in politics

Similar to the promotion push thing - anyone remember the year before our relegation season (i.e. two seasons before the one just gone) when Bennett I think it was went on ranting and raving about how miraculous and fantastic it would be if United were to manage the impossible and survive at our expense? Absolutely nothing about how tragic or damaging it would be for us. Not a second thought.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012