Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:15:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Paul Dickov by an Oldham Athletic Fan  (Read 18449 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Re: Paul Dickov by an Oldham Athletic Fan
« Reply #30 on May 22, 2013, 12:01:52 am by les@donr »
JR makes it public of what he expects from the 1st team prior to the start of the season, every manager who has managed under JR knows from the start what is expected of them in no uncertain terms. I think JR in putting BF DoF was an act of genius. If PD appointment works out then fine, if not, JR can sack the manager and put BF in temporary charge. Either way JR can't lose.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:11:49 am by les@donr »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 22, 2013, 12:09:29 am by Dagenham Rover »
JR makes it public of what he expects from the 1st prior to the start of the season, every manager who has managed under JR knows from the start what is expected of them in no uncertain terms. I think JR in putting BF DoF was an act of genius. If PD appointment works out then fine, if not, JR can sack the manager and put BF in temporary charge. Either way JR can't lose.

:that:   :that:   :that:

and  if BF had stayed as manager,  and made a ducks arse of it he would be sacked, possibly further alienating fans as he could be looked at as a hero for taking us up, its a bit of genius moving him upstairs

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:15:51 am by Dagenham Rover »

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on May 22, 2013, 07:15:10 am by BigH »
Dickov is just the latest in the hotseat and will be given a go. If it's not working then he will be out, simple as. It's not as if he's been signed on a ten year contract that would bankrupt the club if it needed to be terminated.

Last year over half of all Championship clubs replaced their manager during the season. This churn means that experienced Championship managers regularly become available so there will always be other options if needs be.

If I were Dickov I'd be thanking my lucky stars: a Championship club, a squad with talent and self-belief, the most supportive Chairman in the league and a Director of Football with  an encyclopaedic knowledge of Welsh footballers and a list of contacts as long as your arm.

Forget the false start at Oldham, this is his real chance. He'll know it. Screw it up and he'll be consigned to lower league Asst Manager roles and the odd bit of TV/radio punditry.

paulprendy

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 22, 2013, 08:47:39 am by paulprendy »

[/quote]

If oldhams youth players weren't good enough and they'd no money to spend what other options available are there to get a squad together??
[/quote]

That's the issue, the Youth players and others like Matt Smith WERE good enough but didn't get a proper chance under Dickov, he picked his team week in week out from the same 12 or 13 players despite having other options. We had nearly a fully fit squad once Lee Johnson came in, yet he picked two or three of the kids and gave Smith an extended run - this proved the catalyst for League One survival. Lads like David Mellor and Kirk Millar when faith was shown in them, proved what talented young lads they are. Smith in the final month of the season was unplayable yet Dickov only saw fit to use him when we were behind for 10 minutes here and there.

Yes, he started him against Liverpool but he had no choice given our injuries back then.

Two of the lads being overlooked week in week out are under 21 Internationals and have made brief appearances for the full NI team, yet time and again these lads were overlooked for mercenaries on loan. I don't know what his brief at Donny will be, if he's able to throw money at it then your youth will be nowhere near the team. If he has to build a team, I'd still expect a lot of short-term fixes and plenty of kids in on loan.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 22, 2013, 09:17:28 am by Sprotyrover »
Penney fell out with players wouldn't play them and used rigid doctrine which was only suitable for Div 2.
He was totally out of his depth in league One.there are some striking similarities in the post from the Latic on Dickov.

Yes that's why we had consecutive top 10 finishes under him in League One and on one occasion we only missed out on the playoffs on final day.

But obviously totally out of his depth in League One eh.

Yes let history be my judge !!!! Penney went on to better things when he left us and showed his calibre as a manager!

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 22, 2013, 10:02:22 am by Yargo »
Well after reading that it dont bode Well
Cobblers you idiot,anyone writing/saying that tired old boring rubbish "tactically naive" wants tying to a stake and burning

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 22, 2013, 10:29:50 am by dickos1 »
It doesn't matter what other fan think about him, look what they thought about Wellens, probably our best player in recent times, Bournemouth fans slagged sod off turned out to be probably our best ever manager, furman got slagged off, so did stock, paynter, brown, jones, spurr.
The list is endless, it's just one persons opinion and is totally and utterly irrelevant

roversam

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 22, 2013, 10:37:12 am by roversam »
Well after reading that it dont bode Well
Cobblers you idiot,anyone writing/saying that tired old boring rubbish "tactically naive" wants tying to a stake and burning
Well said Yargo, i  dont believe 1% of any of that shite the Oldham fan posted, you've only got to view their forums to see what sad barstewards most of them are.

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 22, 2013, 10:51:17 am by Pintolager »
I take on board the OP's opening post and PD has said he has learnt alot from his time at BP. What he has learnt and how he can fit it into DRFC'S philosophy, we shall have to wait and see. Oldham was only his first managerial job, everyone makes mistakes and I am happy to give him time to prove himself at our club.

Bald Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 22, 2013, 11:19:23 am by Bald Rover »
Just a thought and to further enforce the "one mans view".......would you`re view of SOD be the same as a Bournmuff-Forest-Crawley-Bristol cityu fans?

Would you`re view of Saunders be the same as say a Wolves fan?

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 22, 2013, 11:49:18 am by DonnyNoel »
Dickov is just the latest in the hotseat and will be given a go. If it's not working then he will be out, simple as. It's not as if he's been signed on a ten year contract that would bankrupt the club if it needed to be terminated.

Last year over half of all Championship clubs replaced their manager during the season. This churn means that experienced Championship managers regularly become available so there will always be other options if needs be.

If I were Dickov I'd be thanking my lucky stars: a Championship club, a squad with talent and self-belief, the most supportive Chairman in the league and a Director of Football with  an encyclopaedic knowledge of Welsh footballers and a list of contacts as long as your arm.

Forget the false start at Oldham, this is his real chance. He'll know it. Screw it up and he'll be consigned to lower league Asst Manager roles and the odd bit of TV/radio punditry.

Agreed, I bet there a load of managers out there wishing that JR was their Chairman for so many reasons.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 22, 2013, 03:05:23 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Every manager does differently at every club that's for sure. Makes it tricky to compare. Look at mourinho. Loved at Chelsea not so much at Madrid.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 22, 2013, 03:37:53 pm by RedJ »
Penney fell out with players wouldn't play them and used rigid doctrine which was only suitable for Div 2.
He was totally out of his depth in league One.there are some striking similarities in the post from the Latic on Dickov.

Yes that's why we had consecutive top 10 finishes under him in League One and on one occasion we only missed out on the playoffs on final day.

Yes let history be my judge !!!! Penney went on to better things when he left us and showed his calibre as a manager!

But he did achieve consecutive top 10 finishes once only narrowly missing out on the playoffs.

So he wasn't "totally" out of his depth, now was he?

As I said I think on here but possibly another thread - it says a lot about the way our club is set up for managers to thrive.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 22, 2013, 04:17:18 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Interesting to read, gives some pointers to watch for and there's no point in commenting till we see what he does here.

I've said it before, Dickov is joining our club and fitting into a slot within our established management team that includes JR, Gavin, Flynn and to some extent Jones. That is a big difference to how it sounds it was at Oldham.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 22, 2013, 06:37:02 pm by Sprotyrover »

But he did achieve consecutive top 10 finishes once only narrowly missing out on the playoffs.

As I said I think on here but possibly another thread - it says a lot about the way our club is set up for managers to thrive.
Look at his stats at Oldham and Brizzle they are appalling he was clearly being carried by a quality team an coaching staff here, that's why he is unemployed now!!!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 22, 2013, 08:47:49 pm by RedJ »

Look at his stats at Oldham and Brizzle they are appalling he was clearly being carried by a quality team an coaching staff here, that's why he is unemployed now!!!

If you look at the thread it's already been outlined why he did shit at Oldham and Bristol. Both acceptable explanations and circumstances under which most managers would struggle.

Besides, he isn't out of work - doesn't he run an academy nearby now?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 23, 2013, 12:52:30 am by BobG »
Thank you Paul. some positives, and some negatives in there. As there should be. Odd that the one that sticks in my mind though is your point about the impact of Paul Dickov on dean Furman.  I really do hope that that doesn't happen again. It would waste a bloody fair player.

Cheers

BobG

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 23, 2013, 10:32:01 am by Yargo »
Thank you Paul.
Jesus H Christ another bonehead raises his head, Thank you?for what?some bitter and twisted clown posts his sour grapes and clueless fools cant wait praise the idiot,let me let you idiots into a secret that the fool has somehow forgotten to mention...i watched an FA cup game earlier this year,an Oldham team that PD put together more than matched Liverpool and only got beat in a replay at Everton,can any of you fools thanking this idiot ever imagine Rovers fans writing about Dave Penney not mentioning victories over Man City and Villa? Thought not,want to thank me for bringing that up anyone,form a queue

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 23, 2013, 10:42:42 am by AbsolutDRFC »
Thank you for the time and effort Paul. I suspect your comments are accurate but I think our saving grace is the fact that we have a very strong character in Rob Jones backed up with BF who has proved himself very capable. I hope the chemistry of these individuals works because if it doesn't we will be well in trouble. Talk is cheap but lets see what happens in his first 10 games until then the jury is out.

So we're only giving PD 10 games then; and then you'll judge him?
Or does that include friendlies too :)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on May 23, 2013, 11:04:26 am by silent majority »
Thank you Paul.
Jesus H Christ another bonehead raises his head, Thank you?for what?some bitter and twisted clown posts his sour grapes and clueless fools cant wait praise the idiot,let me let you idiots into a secret that the fool has somehow forgotten to mention...i watched an FA cup game earlier this year,an Oldham team that PD put together more than matched Liverpool and only got beat in a replay at Everton,can any of you fools thanking this idiot ever imagine Rovers fans writing about Dave Penney not mentioning victories over Man City and Villa? Thought not,want to thank me for bringing that up anyone,form a queue

Jesus, you are on a roll with your constant whinging and abuse of fellow posters. I suggest a man of your age should learn some manners.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 23, 2013, 11:18:26 am by Wild Rover »
Stand by for his usual response "i'm  ( insert name ) from (insert name). If you have a problem you now know where and who I am". Gets monotonous , but you can spot the build up.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on May 23, 2013, 12:35:45 pm by BobG »
I think it's pretty clear that Yargo has some issues in his life. Not only can he not hold his temper in check, but he also can't see beyond his own prejudices and emotions. We all suffer from that sometimes, but most folk do at least try to work out, most of the time, what the points are that are being made and then figure out some evidence about why they're wrong. Not simply yelling and throwing toys around. Yargo: you are a sad, sad man. There are places and people who can help you. look up anger management as the first step on your road to what I hope will be at least a half way recovery.

Cheers

BobG
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:47:21 pm by BobG »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 23, 2013, 02:48:38 pm by RoversAlias »
That has got to be one of the most unnecessary pops at someone I've seen on this forum.

How dare you say 'Thank you' to someone Bob, utterly contemptable actions for some reason  :huh:

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 23, 2013, 02:59:31 pm by Alickismyhero »
Thank you for the time and effort Paul. I suspect your comments are accurate but I think our saving grace is the fact that we have a very strong character in Rob Jones backed up with BF who has proved himself very capable. I hope the chemistry of these individuals works because if it doesn't we will be well in trouble. Talk is cheap but lets see what happens in his first 10 games until then the jury is out.

So we're only giving PD 10 games then; and then you'll judge him?
Or does that include friendlies too :)

A...DRFC,

Where do I say I only give him 10 games? I think 10 games gives a good indication of how the team will perform under Dicky and you can start to make an assessment. No it doesn't include friendlies that's the time to experiment.

I want to see an effective well organised team put together cost effectively with a strong priority placed on the youth team. Why the club got rid of Ball I just don't understand unless young Dicky had a say before the result of his interview came out? otherwise he would have no idea as to the boys potential.

SM I think you make a good point about the respect made by a certain poster! Well done Bob in your respectful response.

walter the red

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 23, 2013, 03:27:36 pm by walter the red »
I think the earlier poster (Yargo ) must be the same as "ashes to glory /sj is king " from a certain other fan-site !!
His comments are really disgraceful and disrespectful to the Vsc and members .

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on April 26, 2014, 08:41:00 pm by pib »
Bump.

We were warned!  :whistle:

RedArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on April 26, 2014, 10:15:58 pm by RedArmy »
The similarities are scary..

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on April 27, 2014, 12:50:31 am by podrover73 »
Well dragged up, we were also warned about Sod from a Bournemouth fan and no doubt we will be warned about our next manager from another disgruntled fan. Your point? 

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 27, 2014, 01:13:27 am by mushRTID »
Interesting comments on Furman. Waste of wages this year.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on April 27, 2014, 01:19:43 am by Surrey Rover »
and no doubt we will be warned about our next manager from another disgruntled fan.
Probably in the not too distant future. The OP point is transparently obvious.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012