Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:34:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Squad  (Read 3499 times)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Squad
« on July 23, 2013, 01:51:21 pm by MrFrost »
Who does our squad actually consist of at the moment?

We've lost M'voto. Have no keeper who has played a professional game.
Forrester still hasn't signed. Still several players out of contract.

Less than 2 weeks to the start of the season. Sorry to be alarmed, but it isn't exactly a good situation is it? But the DRFC propganda machine keeps rolling with sound bites to keep the fans happy.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnygeoff

• Forum Member
Re: Squad
« Reply #1 on July 23, 2013, 02:09:47 pm by donnygeoff »
PD and JR keep saying all will be ok and judge us on 3rd August. Well like a lot of others I am getting worried.  Chance of a good start with 2 homes games appears to be diminishing. Clarification required from the club I think.

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 23, 2013, 02:11:03 pm by Phoenix »
It's becoming increasingly concerning.

Almost 3 months since the end of last season, two months since the manager was appointed, and almost a month since pre-season training started, and we still have barely sorted anything.

The Championship is going to be difficult enough as it is, but I fear we're going to make it even harder for ourselves through poor preparation. Our current squad is...

GK
Maxted

Defenders
Husband
Jones
McCombe
Wakefield

Midfield
Syers
Cotterill
Harper
De val (injured anyway)
Bennett
Furman
Coppinger
Keegan
Duffy

Strikers
Paynter
Brown

That is not a Championship quality squad, IMO, and has no depth whatsoever.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 23, 2013, 02:12:02 pm by MrFrost »
It seems we won't get an offical explanation, so I will speculate. It's my opinion that we haven't got a pot to piss in until this investment comes off. (If there is even to be an investment) Hence the lack of signings, lack of contract renewals etc.

Unless someone else can come up with an alternative?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 23, 2013, 02:16:14 pm by DRNaith »
It seems we won't get an offical explanation, so I will speculate. It's my opinion that we haven't got a pot to piss in until this investment comes off. (If there is even to be an investment) Hence the lack of signings, lack of contract renewals etc.

I would think it's more likely that they are waiting to see just how big that pot is so a squad with a balance of skill can be produced, that's just my feeling though, I know nothing more than the ordinary guy.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 23, 2013, 02:18:28 pm by MrFrost »

I would think it's more likely that they are waiting to see just how big that pot is so a squad with a balance of skill can be produced, that's just my feeling though, I know nothing more than the ordinary guy.

Is that not a dangerous game to play, when 10 days before the end of the season we have a squad as above.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 23, 2013, 02:19:08 pm by Lipsy »
If that is the case (and something is going on) then I feel for PD. We appear to be "playing chicken" with the squad, so finger's crossed that it gets sorted pronto. There are suggestions that there might be a player announcement later today, which should shed some light on what's going on.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 23, 2013, 02:19:57 pm by DRNaith »
I'm more than happy to trust Mr Ryan to play any game he likes, as far as I'm concerned he hasn't let us down yet.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 23, 2013, 02:21:05 pm by MrFrost »
I'm more than happy to trust Mr Ryan to play any game he likes, as far as I'm concerned he hasn't let us down yet.

McKay?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 23, 2013, 02:21:39 pm by Wellred »
If that is the case (and something is going on) then I feel for PD. We appear to be "playing chicken" with the squad, so finger's crossed that it gets sorted pronto. There are suggestions that there might be a player announcement later today, which should shed some light on what's going on.

I'm afraid that there have been many suggestions that there might be an announcement today before. We seem to get them most days now.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 23, 2013, 02:22:11 pm by Lipsy »
Agreed.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 23, 2013, 02:22:24 pm by DMnumber4 »
I'm not sure we've lost M'Voto (OP) in so much as he was never OURS.

I never count them as one of us until they're there with the scarf or shirt etc

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 23, 2013, 02:22:37 pm by Wellred »

McKay?

Bremner?

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 23, 2013, 02:23:01 pm by Lipsy »
One day the announcement about an announcement will be right, Wellred.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 23, 2013, 02:23:21 pm by craigdrfc »
Kinnear?

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 23, 2013, 02:24:14 pm by Wellred »
I think I can safely announce that is true Lipsy.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 23, 2013, 02:24:29 pm by DRNaith »

McKay?

Whereas we'd have be able to stay up otherwise?

We could have crashed out of the league with a worse points haul than we actually had. None of us can say we'd have stayed up.

John Ryan has not let us down.

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 23, 2013, 02:26:25 pm by jonnydog »
Surely there must be a contingency plan in case the Investment doesn't happen (if indeed it is true at all?!). I'd have thought that they would have some idea by now of a completion date (again, if it is true). If not what were they going to do, wait until the season had started then invest and start signing players that weren't already snapped up.

If this is the scenario then I too feel for PD, but if it isn't the case and the investment is just rhubarb, then he is ill prepared and what Oldham fans were saying may be repeated. 2 signings - one of which is already possibly a long-term injury, and only 2 contract extensions finalised with about 10 days till kick off.

Doesn't read good does it, I just hope I am proved wrong and wait in anticipation.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 23, 2013, 02:28:03 pm by Wellred »
Surely there must be a contingency plan in case the Investment doesn't happen (if indeed it is true at all?!). I'd have thought that they would have some idea by now of a completion date (again, if it is true). If not what were they going to do, wait until the season had started then invest.

If this is the scenario then I too feel for PD, but if it isn't the case and the investment is just rhubarb, then he is ill prepared and what Oldham fans were saying may be repeated. 2 signings - one of which is already possibly a long-term injury, and only 2 contract extensions finalised with about 10 days till kick off.

Doesn't read good does it, I just hope I am proved wrong and wait in anticipation.

I fail to understand how you can blame any of this on the manager?

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 23, 2013, 02:28:42 pm by Lipsy »
None of us know what's going on (and I think that we can assume that something is). If there's no contingency (and it seems that there isn't), doesn't that imply that whatever is going on is for the good of the club, and we'll all be happy about it?

I sort of think that it does...

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 23, 2013, 02:30:28 pm by jonnydog »
Nobody knows the real reason about whats taking so long to sort contract extensions out, signing new players and all of that. What I'm saying is if it's a reason which is out of PD's hands then I feel for the guy. But if not and it's down to preparation and a plan B (or the lack thereof), then surely he has failed?

Sadly 'tis all speculation.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 02:32:30 pm by jonnydog »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 23, 2013, 02:34:27 pm by dickos1 »
Won't have anything to do with dickov, he just says who he wants then its down to the board to sort it out

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 23, 2013, 02:35:13 pm by jonnydog »
fair f**ks to him then

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 23, 2013, 02:37:47 pm by MrFrost »
Looking at that squad we need

2 goalkeepers (Dickov's statement)
A right back
A left back
Another centre half (1 minimum)

Midfield looks ok, but possibly another one as De Val is injured.

2 strikers. (Dickov's statement)

That's 8 players at a minimum.
In 10 days.
Not going to happen.

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 23, 2013, 02:43:04 pm by Lipsy »
It might happen. What if PD has all of his ducks in a row, just waiting to get all-new ammunition?

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 23, 2013, 02:44:50 pm by Phoenix »
It might happen. What if PD has all of his ducks in a row, just waiting to get all-new ammunition?

What has happened so far to suggest this will be the case?

Wishful thinking if you ask me. Like with the M'Voto thing, people telling themselves that he didn't sign because we've got someone better lined up, because that's what they want to believe.

AbsolutDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 23, 2013, 02:45:33 pm by AbsolutDRFC »

A right back
A left back

In 10 days.
Not going to happen.

How do you know it's not going to happen?
Now that is being negative.....

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 23, 2013, 02:51:49 pm by jonnydog »
I feel a signing a day thread coming on ;)

A right back
A left back

In 10 days.
Not going to happen.

How do you know it's not going to happen?
Now that is being negative.....

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 23, 2013, 02:54:04 pm by Lipsy »

What has happened so far to suggest this will be the case?

Wishful thinking if you ask me. Like with the M'Voto thing, people telling themselves that he didn't sign because we've got someone better lined up, because that's what they want to believe.

I just find it interesting that two of our supposed targets have said nothing on the matter or whether or not they will be coming to the club or not. Not one thing. Nada. It's very interesting that they haven't is all. Could mean nothing, or it could mean quite a lot. Either way, I have faith. It might prove to be blind faith, but I don't for a single second believe that we are heading into this season blind/without knowing what's up against us.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 23, 2013, 03:00:10 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

A right back
A left back

In 10 days.
Not going to happen.
The minimum is one keeper, one defender, one striker. That would be ample for the Blackpool game.

Extra or loans would be a striker (season long loan I reckon), a defender and a midfielder (whilst de Val is out) and a keeper as and when we need one.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012