Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:29:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Wellens update: contract terminated  (Read 5617 times)

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
Wellens update: contract terminated
« on July 23, 2013, 03:16:18 pm by DMnumber4 »
#LCFC reaches mutual agreement with midfielder Richie Wellens for the cancellation of his remaining contract.

From clubs official twitter.

More on their OS too: http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/230713-wellens-departure-agreed-938543.aspx

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

colincramb

• Forum Member
Re: Wellens update: contract terminated
« Reply #1 on July 23, 2013, 03:17:03 pm by colincramb »
Also confirmed on their official web site

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 23, 2013, 03:20:23 pm by jonnydog »
Well if he's training with us today which has been reported then he is obviously Barnsley bound  :coat:

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 23, 2013, 03:27:01 pm by DonnyNoel »
This news genuinely has me giddy.

:rtid:

DRFCBRADFORD

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 23, 2013, 03:41:37 pm by DRFCBRADFORD »
wellens has had hes day

ArmthorpeRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 23, 2013, 03:44:12 pm by ArmthorpeRover »
wellens has had hes day

I think he is more back up until De Val is fit again, I can't see him playing a full season but as a fill in goes....he ain't too shabby.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 23, 2013, 03:44:39 pm by dickos1 »

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 23, 2013, 03:48:50 pm by Dare to dream! »
would be happy with Wellens and Furman in cm till De Val get back

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 23, 2013, 03:50:24 pm by Phoenix »
wellens has had hes day

Nonsense

Why?

It stands to reason. He's 33, and the general consensus among Leicester fans is that he's gone rapidly downhill as a player.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 23, 2013, 04:23:57 pm by dickos1 »
He's same age as gerrard, who's just signed a new contract with Liverpool. He played week in week out for Leicester until he got injured,
2 years ago he won Leicesters player of the year and was their captain

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 23, 2013, 04:26:13 pm by Chris »
I'd welcome the addition of Wellens, despite his age. We have a few players in the midfield who have little or no Championship experience so Wellens will fill that void at least.

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 23, 2013, 04:27:50 pm by Phoenix »
He's same age as gerrard, who's just signed a new contract with Liverpool. He played week in week out for Leicester until he got injured,

What the fook has this got to do with Gerrard? You present some bizarre logic at times.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 23, 2013, 04:29:12 pm by dickos1 »
Your argument was he's 33 so too old, obviously 33 is not too old.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 23, 2013, 04:30:14 pm by RedJ »
He impressed for Ipswich at the same age and I think the only reason he didn't go back was because they couldn't afford him at the time.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 23, 2013, 04:30:23 pm by IDM »

What the fook has this got to do with Gerrard? You present some bizarre logic at times.

The logic is the players are the same age.  Some folks are claiming Wellens is past it at 33, whereas lots of players aren't so why not Wellens?

We're not comparing his talent to that of Gerrard, just his age and ability to maintain his current level of play.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 23, 2013, 04:32:11 pm by Akinfenwa »
He's older than James Harper, who 5 years ago was a key player for Reading in the Premier League. See, anyone can present an example for anything.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 23, 2013, 04:33:04 pm by dickos1 »

The logic is the players are the same age.  Some folks are claiming Wellens is past it at 33, whereas lots of players aren't so why not Wellens?

We're not comparing his talent to that of Gerrard, just his age and ability to maintain his current level of play.

Thanks idm,
Don't think Phoenix understands his own argument

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 23, 2013, 04:35:41 pm by Phoenix »
Your argument was he's 33 so too old, obviously 33 is not too old.

I never said 33 was "too old". I said it stands to reason that he's past his peak at 33, which it does. The original point was never that he was "too old", it was that he was past his peak.

Since you're so keen to allude to Steven Gerrard here, would you say Gerrard is at his peak now, at 33? Or would you say he was much better earlier on in his career when he undoubtedly had the top clubs in Europe queuing up to sign him?

Either way, it's such a ludicrous argument that "Gerrard can still do it at 33 so why can't Wellens". Maybe he can, but it's ridiculous because they are DIFFERENT HUMAN BEINGS. Just because one 33 year old is still a capable footballer in the division they were playing in when they were 28, it doesn't mean the same applies for every other 33 year old footballer.

Jesus christ. Such absurdity. "Wellens can still be good because Steven Gerrard".

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 23, 2013, 04:40:01 pm by dickos1 »
No, the original post stated he'd had his day, which to me implies he's passed it, you backed this up by saying he was 33. Age is totally irrelevant,

The L J Monk

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 23, 2013, 04:43:18 pm by The L J Monk »
For a player like Wellens, who had no pace to begin with, age is less of a factor. I'd imagine he can quite happily sit in midfield and dictate the game with a few probing passes, positional nouce etc.

Look at a player like Pirlo. Obviously he's a class apart, but his game has arguably improved as he's understood the game better as he's aged.

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 23, 2013, 04:46:34 pm by Phoenix »
No, the original post stated he'd had his day, which to me implies he's passed it, you backed this up by saying he was 33. Age is totally irrelevant,

I interpret "had his day" to mean "past his peak" which I said stands to reason, because how many midfielders are at their peak at 33?

I didn't say he DEFINITELY had had his day in my opinion, but I said that at 33, it is not "nonsense" to suggest so, like you said. I also backed it up by saying that many Leicester fans, who have watched the guy play for the past four years, have seen a significant decline in his ability to play at this level, but I notice you have chosen to ignore that.

I bring you back to a point in the previous post that you also chose to ignore... IS STEVEN GERRARD AT HIS PEAK, NOW, AT 33? Is he? Your point is that it is "nonsense" to suggest that Wellens is past his peak at 33, because Steven Gerrard is 33.... IS STEVEN GERRARD AT HIS PEAK? Is he as good as he was when he was in his 20's when he almost single-handedly dragged Liverpool back from the dead to win the European Cup final? I never disputed that Gerrard, or Wellens weren't still capable players at 33 years old... but it is not "nonsense" to suggest that they are no longer at their peak.

Bloody hell. I can't spell it out any clearer than that, it's like pulling teeth on here sometimes.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 23, 2013, 04:51:12 pm by dickos1 »

I interpret "had his day" to mean "past his peak" which I said stands to reason, because how many midfielders are at their peak at 33?

I didn't say he DEFINITELY had had his day in my opinion, but I said that at 33, it is not "nonsense" to suggest so, like you said. I also backed it up by saying that many Leicester fans, who have watched the guy play for the past four years, have seen a significant decline in his ability to play at this level, but I notice you have chosen to ignore that.

I bring you back to a point in the previous post that you also chose to ignore... IS STEVEN GERRARD AT HIS PEAK, NOW, AT 33? Is he? Your point is that it is "nonsense" to suggest that Wellens is past his peak at 33, because Steven Gerrard is 33.... IS STEVEN GERRARD AT HIS PEAK? Is he as good as he was when he was in his 20's when he almost single-handedly dragged Liverpool back from the dead to win the European Cup final? I never disputed that Gerrard, or Wellens weren't still capable players at 33 years old... but it is not "nonsense" to suggest that they are no longer at their peak.

Bloody hell. I can't spell it out any clearer than that, it's like pulling teeth on here sometimes.

Are you on a wind up, Steve wonder would come to the conclusion that a 33 year old is not at their peak.
Doesn't mean they're passed it, like monk has said there's numerous examples of players who adapt their game to be just as successful as they ever were.

Anyhow end of the day I think he'd be a great signing you obviously don't, only one way we'll find out

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 23, 2013, 05:02:15 pm by Phoenix »

Are you on a wind up, Steve wonder would come to the conclusion that a 33 year old is not at their peak.
Doesn't mean they're passed it, like monk has said there's numerous examples of players who adapt their game to be just as successful as they ever were.

Anyhow end of the day I think he'd be a great signing you obviously don't, only one way we'll find out

Thank you. We're making progress here. Baby steps.

Now, next bit. I did not say he was past it. I said, it's not necessarily "nonsense" to say he's past his best. Okay? If he wasn't past his best, I doubt Leicester would be paying to offload him, when they spent over a million quid on him a few years ago.

The last line is more ridiculousness that you've plucked from thin air. Where did I say he wouldn't be a good signing for us? I pulled you up on the "nonsense" comment in the first place to defend Bradford Rovers' comment, not to put forward my own view on Wellens. I'm not sure how you can say I "obviously don't" think he'll be a good signing. I know that a lot of Leicester fans are almost throwing parties that he's gone, they think he's declined that much, so I'm not expecting to get back the same player that we lost four years ago. But at the same time, I know full well that we're operating on a completely different level to Leicester in terms of finances and expectations, so despite not being good enough for them, he may be adequate for us. As I said before though, I'm realistic enough not to expect that we're getting back the same version of Richie Wellens that we all enjoyed watching last time he was here.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 23, 2013, 05:06:13 pm by dickos1 »
Remind me what oldhams fans view of wellens were when we signed him, also their views on furman, preston fans view on stock, sheff utds on sharp, leeds on painter, leeds on Sullivan, Wednesday on jones,

Do you want me to keep going??

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 23, 2013, 05:07:18 pm by colincramb »
He might not come back yet! :)

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 23, 2013, 05:13:29 pm by Phoenix »
Remind me what oldhams fans view of wellens were when we signed him, also their views on furman, preston fans view on stock, sheff utds on sharp, leeds on painter, leeds on Sullivan, Wednesday on jones,

Can you read?

I did just type before something along the lines of: "despite Leicester fans views on RW, he may be adequate for us", didn't I?

FWIW, I can't remember that much negativity (beyond the usual) about Wellens from the Oldham fans when he signed for us. Nor PNE with Stock, or Leeds fans with Sullivan (the only negativity I remember about Sully was from Dennis Wise). And Wednesday fans absolutely loved Rob Jones. Sheff United told us that Sharp didn't suit them as he was trying too hard to score for his boyhood team, not that he was a bad player.

This is getting ridiculous anyway. It's gone totally beyond the original point. Bye!

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 23, 2013, 05:15:46 pm by glosterred »
Can he play in central defence? Might have to if, and it is still an if, he does sign for the Rovers

COYR

GloucesterRover31

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 23, 2013, 05:26:02 pm by GloucesterRover31 »

Brilliant post, it happens at every club last year a lot of people slated gillet, went on to play every game for Forrest and linked to premiership clubs! Wellens is one of the best passers of the ball I've seen in a rovers shirt!

Phoenix

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 23, 2013, 05:29:38 pm by Phoenix »

Brilliant post, it happens at every club last year a lot of people slated gillet, went on to play every game for Forrest and linked to premiership clubs! Wellens is one of the best passers of the ball I've seen in a rovers shirt!

Simon Gillett went on to play every game for Forest? No wonder they didn't make the play-offs if they only played 25 games all season!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 23, 2013, 05:31:41 pm by dickos1 »

Can you read?

I did just type before something along the lines of: "despite Leicester fans views on RW, he may be adequate for us", didn't I?

FWIW, I can't remember that much negativity (beyond the usual) about Wellens from the Oldham fans when he signed for us. Nor PNE with Stock, or Leeds fans with Sullivan (the only negativity I remember about Sully was from Dennis Wise). And Wednesday fans absolutely loved Rob Jones. Sheff United told us that Sharp didn't suit them as he was trying too hard to score for his boyhood team, not that he was a bad player.

This is getting ridiculous anyway. It's gone totally beyond the original point. Bye!

Memory must not be the best then

TinyPortal © 2005-2012