Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 05:03:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A Public Statement from the VSC Regarding Investment Negotiations  (Read 9623 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
And I aim to be again when circumstances dictate..one or two should remember the board could make this a members only board at a flick of a switch after all the members pay for it, but they don't as they believe everyone has a voice providing they stay in the rules.They put up with the abuse that brings...By no means agree with them,we all love debate but really I'm saddened by some comments today.....:-(

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Rios - I support much of the work of the VSC. I think it's been involved in some excellent initiatives.

What I balk at though is, what I perceive to be, an attempt to overstate the role of the VSC in what goes on behind the scenes at the Club, and then, conversely, an overly defensive, and at times hypocritical, stance when things don't run smoothly.

In this situation, if someone is offering a hypothetical £20m cash injection into the Club, I find it hard to believe that the three main shareholders would sit down with a bunch of replica shirt wearing middle aged men and say "well, if you boys are not happy we'll tell them we're not interested". Sure, there's a role as a critical friend for the VSC in this scenario.  But with any real gravitas? I have my doubts.

First of all, I personally am not middle aged. And I only wear replica shirts at matches.

Second, I believe you are missing the point someone L J. The VSC Directors obviously know that the trust itself cannot get in the way of a takeover, not matter how much we may disagree with one; if the DRFC's major shareholders want to sell, it will happen. But knowledge is power my friend. And if the VSC, and ultimately it's members, know the plan before it is allowed to go through, it can prepare itself better if any retrospective action needs to be taken. Conversely, if the plan sounds great, and we believe the long term interests of the club have been considered, we will still know who we are getting into bed with and how to approach matters in the future. If we didn't have a supporters trust, and we didn't have the relationship we now have with the club, we would be in the dark if things did go tits up, and would be ill prepared to mount any sort of challenge (which is actually why the trust was formed back in the dark days!)

Remember as well the VSC is an IPS registered with the FCA (previously the FSA) and is a legal personality recognised by national organisations such as Supporters Direct and the FSF. We have certain powers and recognition that supporters clubs don't, and this makes it possible to attract additional support if needed who do have the power to influence key decision makers, such as the clubs and businessmen who like to invest in them.

Right, I've had too many vodkas I think. Bed time, and sweet dreams of Billy scoring 30 this season :)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Given the tiny size of our fan base it is very easy to quickly whip up opposition to any new ownership we didn't particularly like the look of. Unlike much larger clubs where overseas supporters provide a much larger proportion of income, unless any potential new owner fancy financing 100% of the costs of the club then they better be thinking very hard about how to keep the good folk of Doncaster onside.

silent majority

• VSC Member
Cbcb,

Waiting until you have to do something is too late, you need an organisation set up and structured to fight battles long before they are needed.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
I first joined the VSC when approached by Andy Liney on the terraces at Hayes. I think they sent me a membership card. I lapsed after a few years.
Then I rejoined when JR and the VSC were looking for support, paid my £50 down at the KM. This time I didn't even get a membership card, heard nothing else.
I mentioned this on here before and was told by a director I'd hear something.
Guess what? I haven't. So wont be rejoining.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
I first joined the VSC when approached by Andy Liney on the terraces at Hayes. I think they sent me a membership card. I lapsed after a few years.
Then I rejoined when JR and the VSC were looking for support, paid my £50 down at the KM. This time I didn't even get a membership card, heard nothing else.
I mentioned this on here before and was told by a director I'd hear something.
Guess what? I haven't. So wont be rejoining.

I've Pm'd you Tommy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012