Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:52:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lost pubs  (Read 29688 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Lost pubs
« on July 29, 2013, 08:36:50 am by roversdude »
Heard that the Newton is shutting down, can't believe how many pubs have disappeared
Anyone have any favourites now gone
I can remember happy times in Blue Bell, Cecil et al

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
Re: Lost pubs
« Reply #1 on July 29, 2013, 08:41:50 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
It's not shut down, but I used to enjoy The Cumberland, it was a pub that sold food (decent food as well), but they did it up a few years ago and it's more of a restaurant that sells beer.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 29, 2013, 09:34:37 am by roversdude »
Thursday night when nurses got paid was a cracking night in Cumberland

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 29, 2013, 10:08:15 am by nightporter »
Not in town but the Westminster club in Intake's now gone.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 29, 2013, 10:10:04 am by RobTheRover »
Bloody hell, I never knew that Nighty.

Where is Basher Morris going to drink now?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 29, 2013, 10:12:12 am by RobTheRover »
The Station Hotel in Rosso was always the first port of call on my friday night pub crawls, and the first pub I bought a beer in (aged 14).  I had my 18th birthday party there, and the landlord wouldnt believe me as I'd been coming in there for years.  lol

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 29, 2013, 11:12:52 am by roversdude »
Westminster has been gone a while, Benbow was knocked down recently too

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 29, 2013, 12:21:00 pm by podrover73 »
Heard that the Newton is shutting down, can't believe how many pubs have disappeared
Anyone have any favourites now gone
I can remember happy times in Blue Bell, Cecil et al

Went past the Newton the other day ,it was a hot day and there were plenty of people out there drinking -thought it was doing well?

Others that have gone recently -Cheshire Cheese looks like it has been reglazed for a new venture.
Benbow recently pulled down completely.

A new one opening on August 5th The House Martin on Wheatley Hall Road - not sure if there is the clientele around there to sustain it but will see (Marstons Pub)

nightporter

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 29, 2013, 12:54:28 pm by nightporter »
Park Hotel is on its arse too.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 29, 2013, 01:14:11 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The Whisper in Bentley's gone. A pub I lived in (my Dad was the landlord) in Hoyland was demolished a few years ago too...

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 29, 2013, 03:23:36 pm by drfc1951 »
The Royal in Rosso, also Radburn club dodgy commitee there.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 29, 2013, 05:23:59 pm by Mike_F »
The Wessie club was the first place I ever worked. Started as pot wash lad at 15 then went onto the bar. Some right "characters"* back in the day. The smoking ban will have been the cause of its demise, no doubt. It saddened me to see the place I spent many nights and just about the whole of one Christmas working reduced to a pile of rubble. When I think about it the memories come flooding back. I used to take great pride in polishing the brass beer taps, chucking beer mats at the concert room clock at the end of a shift and stealing bag after bag of bar snacks! Then there was the initialtion of showing a new glass collector how to clean the glass wash machine:

"You need to get the filter out of the back to put the salt in. No right at the back. No, get your head in there" Then turning the f**ker on and holding in the door closed sensor. What larks!

It's also the place where I sampled my first "Blastaway" (Diamond White cider & Castaway in a pint pot topped up with vodka). It's making me more nostalgic the more I type and bringin back memories of a few folk who are no longer with us. Eeh, the times I had in there when I were a lad. All for a little brown envelope wi' 50 quid in at at end o' week. It were a small fortune to a lad o' 16 wi' world at his feet and a pint in his hand!

*alcoholics

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 29, 2013, 05:26:09 pm by Mike_F »
Thinking about it, I'm evidently a right old git because one of my old schools (Wheatley Hills Middle), the first place I worked (above) and the football ground where I fell in love with the game and my club are all gone now. Near brings a tear to me eye!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 29, 2013, 06:11:38 pm by RedJ »
The Buffalo in Moorends and the Benbow I think in Wheatley are gone too now.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 29, 2013, 06:13:31 pm by roversdude »
Yeah part of my old school boarded up in town waiting to become part of the cultural quarter (I think)
Add to the list
Vine
Prince of Wales

Park hotel really is run down mate sad its always been our pre match pub

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 29, 2013, 06:19:02 pm by jonnydog »
I thought they were shutting the Park hotel, last I heard anyway.

The question is, from all of this, how the hell the 'Staff of Life' remains open.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 29, 2013, 06:35:22 pm by Al4475 »
At least two of em (if not three) in Bentley are all boarded up too - The Drum and The Bayhorse(?) I noticed on passing through the other day - the other one on that stretch of road is for lease again too!

The sidings also gone - but I think that's been closed a year or so at least!

Park Hotel - many a great Friday Night, New Years Eve and Chrimbo Eve in there as a younger fella!

I heard the Westminster had gone Nightporter - but haven't been up that end of Intake for a while - in fact last time I was in there was more than likely with you about 10 years ago.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 29, 2013, 06:47:23 pm by Filo »
The Fox (Alick Jeffrey used to be landlord), Peacock, King George Hotel, Demi, Welfare, Mosses (Reform Club), all now closed or demolished in Stainy, and the Harvester is up for sale. The Abbey in Dunscroft is no longer around either!

White Hart in Thorne is shut and boarded up

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 29, 2013, 06:59:41 pm by Pintolager »
At least two of em (if not three) in Bentley are all boarded up too - The Drum and The Bayhorse(?) I noticed on passing through the other day - the other one on that stretch of road is for lease again too!

The Bay Horse re-opened on Friday, but I have heard that the Drum will be knocked down, but that is just a rumour. Bentley used to be great for a pub crawl back in the day, but has gone the same way as lots of places with closures.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 29, 2013, 07:38:09 pm by RedJ »
The Fox (Alick Jeffrey used to be landlord), Peacock, King George Hotel, Demi, Welfare, Mosses (Reform Club), all now closed or demolished in Stainy, and the Harvester is up for sale. The Abbey in Dunscroft is no longer around either!

Is the Mailed Horse being shut down? last time I drove through that had them metal window things up.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on July 29, 2013, 07:46:33 pm by Filo »

Is the Mailed Horse being shut down? last time I drove through that had them metal window things up.

Mailed Horse is still open,although it has closed and reopened a few times, I think it`s for sale now

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 29, 2013, 08:39:05 pm by MrFrost »
Newton is my local. First i've heard of it, although I wouldn't be surprised.
The local pub scene is dead. Give it 10 years, there won't be many pubs around at all.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 29, 2013, 10:31:17 pm by afro goal machine »

The Bay Horse re-opened on Friday, but I have heard that the Drum will be knocked down, but that is just a rumour. Bentley used to be great for a pub crawl back in the day, but has gone the same way as lots of places with closures.

good companions been closed a while, now flats  :(

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 29, 2013, 10:33:09 pm by roversdude »
Daughter goes in and came home saying its due to shut end of the month

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 29, 2013, 10:34:48 pm by roversdude »
From my time digging coal, York now wok1
Royal gone

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 29, 2013, 10:44:27 pm by jonnydog »
Greyhound in Edlo is long gone too. Used to frequent it regular in my later school years.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 29, 2013, 11:06:18 pm by BobG »
What was that pub called, years ago, up by the high rise flats just south of the railway station? Used to sell Darleys. Whether you liked Darley's or not, it's always good to have some variety. And the Corner Pin better not be gone. I shall personally nuke Donny if that ever closes. And the Magdelene in the Market Place. I heard its a toffee nosed joint now though. Used to be a shit hole of the highest order. Shit literally (and I do mean that) running on the floor in the bogs. But the beer... Oh that Tetleys. It was sublime. IanH can tell you all about that. Last port of call it was on many a Saturday night.

Is the Turf Tavern still there? My first ever regular watering hole. Brendan and Peter K used to drink on there too. Can't think why i used to go there!

Cheers

BobG

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 29, 2013, 11:13:08 pm by jonnydog »
What was that pub called, years ago, up by the high rise flats just south of the railway station? Used to sell Darleys. Whether you liked Darley's or not, it's always good to have some variety. And the Corner Pin better not be gone. I shall personally nuke Donny if that ever closes. And the Magdelene in the Market Place. I heard its a toffee nosed joint now though. Used to be a shit hole of the highest order. Shit literally (and I do mean that) running on the floor in the bogs. But the beer... Oh that Tetleys. It was sublime. IanH can tell you all about that. Last port of call it was on many a Saturday night.

Is the Turf Tavern still there? My first ever regular watering hole. Brendan and Peter K used to drink on there too. Can't think why i used to go there!

Cheers

BobG

I believe the corner pin is still up and running. Was it the Corporation Brewery Taps you were on about near the high rises?

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 29, 2013, 11:51:10 pm by jonrover »
The two I miss the most are the Yarborough and the Moon in Carcroft. Back in the day the Yarborough was brilliant on a Sunday if the Dons were at home. Without sounding biased the Yarborough was without doubt the best boozer close to a rugby ground anywhere in the country, and in the early to mid 90s' I'd done every ground on my travels. Real shame when it shut and burned down. And the Moon was our local for work in my first job. We used to pile into the moon on a Friday dinner without fail, couple of pints and a chip butty and a few games of pool. Happy days!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 30, 2013, 02:13:32 am by RobTheRover »

good companions been closed a while, now flats  :(

The Druids has reopened though I noticed last week.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012