Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 04:34:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: "Goals from midfield"  (Read 2383 times)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
"Goals from midfield"
« on August 07, 2013, 11:53:23 am by NickDRFC »
There seems to be a general consensus that we need a goalscoring striker on here to replace/assist Brown. However, I've noticed a couple of threads where people have said we don't need one as our midfield should be scoring all the goals. This sort of attitude worries me a bit - it's a striker's job to score goals, not the midfields. You would hope that the midfield will chip in with a few (obviously Cotterill's goals in the first half of last season really heped), particularly the ones playing further forward, but I'd be wary of putting too much pressure on them to score goals. It can be frustrating when they are seemingly shot shy, but a few of the groans last night when Duffy/Copps/Cotts looked for a pass rather than shot from 30+ yards out weren't necessary and I don't think will help at all.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
Re: "Goals from midfield"
« Reply #1 on August 07, 2013, 11:59:07 am by DonnyNoel »
I think people mean that we need more from midfield given the current formation - only 1 up top but 3 roaming attacking midfielders behind him. Plus given the amount of hold up/target man duties that Brown is performing he's not going to be central the whole time and needs players getting closer to him. Something that our midfield (other than Syers) haven't really adapted to yet. Its always a strikers job to score goals but this system also put responsibility on the midfield  unless its changed to focus purely on the striker to score the goals but that will require a massive change in the way we move the ball up the field.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 07, 2013, 12:00:15 pm by River Don »
When you are playing with a five man midfield, you have to expect them to weigh in with goals.

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 07, 2013, 12:05:15 pm by roverssam1879 »
I do understand th OP, but i do feel the others have summed it up, Brown is playing as a deep forward who knocks the ball down for usually the faster smaller striker. but the system we have soesnt allow that and i think if te 3 attacking midfielders dont start grabbing the goals then the system needs to change.

Brown cant just be the lone striker and expect to bang in 20 goals because his role doesnt have room for that.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 07, 2013, 12:08:42 pm by GazLaz »
I would play Syers in the 3 behind Brown. He has goals in him.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 07, 2013, 12:12:08 pm by MachoMadness »
As long as we're scoring goals who cares where they come from? It's a team game. If PD believes his midfield can get goals then I support him playing that system. Remember Spain cruised through the Euros last year without playing a striker at all, it's just the way the game is going. The problem is when the gap between up front and midfield is as big as it was at times last night.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 07, 2013, 12:13:26 pm by DonnyNoel »
I would play Syers in the 3 behind Brown. He has goals in him.

Agreed - he's a traditional "bombing on" midfielder in my eyes. The thing that seems to be counting against him at the moment is his lack of versatility. Cotts, Copps and Duffy all interchange with each other but Syers would have to stay through the middle. You could see Copps wasn't happy with that slight tweak when Syers came on last night and was told he would have to stay a bit wider.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on August 07, 2013, 12:46:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What I don't understand is how Richie Wellens can pinpoint a pass from 50 yards but seems reluctant to shoot. Why doesn't he pinpoint a pass to an imaginary team mate in the back of the net?!!!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 08, 2013, 01:53:27 am by RobTheRover »
Brown is playing as a deep forward who knocks the ball down for usually the faster smaller striker. but the system we have doesn't allow that

Sam, didnt you see Browny chest that cross into the path of Duffy on Saturday?  It was sublime.  If Duffy had an ounce more composure it would have been a goal, but it went over the bar.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 08, 2013, 02:24:09 am by RedJ »
Brown is playing as a deep forward who knocks the ball down for usually the faster smaller striker. but the system we have doesn't allow that

Sam, didnt you see Browny chest that cross into the path of Duffy on Saturday?  It was sublime.  If Duffy had an ounce more composure it would have been a goal, but it went over the bar.

I suspect unless we bring in a finisher we'll be seeing an awful lot of that this season. Going to be a very long old slog for us.

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 08, 2013, 08:52:49 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
What I don't understand is how Richie Wellens can pinpoint a pass from 50 yards but seems reluctant to shoot. Why doesn't he pinpoint a pass to an imaginary team mate in the back of the net?!!!

I remember that screamer he scores at home to Coventry when we were last promoted to the Championship

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 08, 2013, 10:30:09 am by River Don »

I suspect unless we bring in a finisher we'll be seeing an awful lot of that this season. Going to be a very long old slog for us.

A five man midfield demands versatility and one quality a midfielder will need is enough composure to be able to finish. I'm not saying the group we have can't its still early days and they're still getting used to the system.

I just wonder if PD had free reign, if he might not invest the budget differently, rather than put so much into the purchase of Billy? Sure he would like to have him but I do wonder if there might not be ways to get better value for money?

Just putting that one out there.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012