Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 09:35:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Would Dickov do a Deano?  (Read 3377 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
Would Dickov do a Deano?
« on September 23, 2013, 08:34:17 pm by Copps is Magic »
If say .... for example .... Sunderland came acalling?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MiKA

• Forum Member
Re: Would Dickov do a Deano?
« Reply #1 on September 23, 2013, 08:37:28 pm by MiKA »
I would like to think that our board have learnt their lesson and tied him down to us more but i doubt it

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 23, 2013, 08:44:22 pm by Copps is Magic »
Personally think Dickov would jump at a club like Sunderland. Bookies have di Matteo as early favourite. Premiership clubs love two types of manager: Glasgow mafia type or continental tippy tappy type.

Have a feeling Zola might be in the frame.

FuzzyDuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 23, 2013, 08:47:46 pm by FuzzyDuck »
Can't see Sunderland calling but, yes I think he would and that's no criticism.  At 40, he's likely to be ambitious particularly with the sort of money success in this business can bring.

I'd advise him not to go too quickly though.  Donny, playing a league above where they belong financially is a fantastic training ground and great CV builder if he can get us even slightly competitive at this level.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 23, 2013, 08:48:34 pm by StocktonRover »
Whoever takes the job will be thrir 3rd manager in 6 months.
Ellis Short doesn't give them a great deal of time to deliver so would someone who's already in a stable job go for it?

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 23, 2013, 08:54:37 pm by Dare to dream! »
I don't think he would, he's young got plenty of time and he's still learning his trade. I think his relationship with jr will help us keep him if other clubs come calling

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 23, 2013, 09:05:17 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Does "Doing a Deano" mean "leaving a relatively low-level, relatively low paid job for a higher level, higher paid job?"

Worra bastid that Deano were, eh?

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 23, 2013, 09:06:18 pm by newyankee »
 Stockton Rover, I would think anyone in their right mind in a stable job, would be far better off looking after the horses than the Black Cats.   :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

podrover73

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 23, 2013, 09:35:32 pm by podrover73 »
Does "Doing a Deano" mean "leaving a relatively low-level, relatively low paid job for a higher level, higher paid job?"

didn't do his cv any good though did it, would have enhanced it if he stayed where he was

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 23, 2013, 09:40:22 pm by donnyallday »
Yes he would.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 23, 2013, 09:41:05 pm by Copps is Magic »

Wow. Case closed. Everyone will leave their job for better money regardless of other considerations. Thanks for the insight.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 23, 2013, 09:44:48 pm by RobTheRover »
I don't agree. I've always had the approach if I get enough to be comfortable and can afford to do the things I want I don't necessarily need more money,  and have taken the conscious decision not to go for jobs for this reason plus I'm happy in the job I have.

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 23, 2013, 10:04:57 pm by TheFunk »
 I don't think he has the relevant qualifications to manage in the PL. Didn't he have to do his course this summer to manage in the Championship.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 23, 2013, 11:35:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I don't agree. I've always had the approach if I get enough to be comfortable and can afford to do the things I want I don't necessarily need more money,  and have taken the conscious decision not to go for jobs for this reason plus I'm happy in the job I have.

Rob. I catch your drift bruv. But with respect, me and (I suspect ) thee are not the sort of people who are driven by the overwhelming need to succeed that gets people on in togger.

You don't go into high level football in order to get a enough money for a decent semi in Rosso and the odd Fray Bentos luxury (that latter one is me by the way). You go into it because you are f**king sure that you can pip Pep Guardiola given half a chance.

Look at it like that, and it's the ones who DON'T take the bait who are questionable.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 23, 2013, 11:40:04 pm by wilts rover »
Of course he would.

Will he get the chance? He took Oldham to the brink of relegation and has won 1 out of 7 games in the Championship, it would be a very, very brave PL chairman who took a chance on that record....

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 24, 2013, 08:35:18 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
I don't think he would.........................

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 24, 2013, 08:42:12 am by roverssam1879 »
I think he will count his blessings having fallen on his feet here at donny.

Cant see him jumping ship in the current circumstances. I think that he would stay here if we were relegated given the chance too.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on September 24, 2013, 10:30:39 am by Rios »
Can't see Sunderland calling but, yes I think he would and that's no criticism.  At 40, he's likely to be ambitious particularly with the sort of money success in this business can bring.

I'd advise him not to go too quickly though.  Donny, playing a league above where they belong financially is a fantastic training ground and great CV builder if he can get us even slightly competitive at this level.

His CV won't look better if he gets us relegated though, which could easily happen given a run of poor form/injuries/etc.  I'd question the mental capacity and ambition of any manager in the FL who didn't take a PL job.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 24, 2013, 10:46:58 am by hoolahoop »

:that:

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 24, 2013, 11:41:17 am by The Red Baron »

... which anyone could have told him was the ultimate poisoned chalice.

Sunderland is also in that category. However, I think we should be safe as they seem keen on another Italian- perhaps because the DoF and a large number of the playing staff are also Italian.

So, Di Matteo or Zola then!

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 24, 2013, 01:47:10 pm by drfcsteve »
Can you blame Dean for taking the Wolves job? Not really. But in hindsight he'll wish he hadn't. Could be a long time before he's back in football management.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 24, 2013, 03:23:43 pm by RobTheRover »

Rob. I catch your drift bruv. But with respect, me and (I suspect ) thee are not the sort of people who are driven by the overwhelming need to succeed that gets people on in togger.

You don't go into high level football in order to get a enough money for a decent semi in Rosso and the odd Fray Bentos luxury (that latter one is me by the way). You go into it because you are f**king sure that you can pip Pep Guardiola given half a chance.

Look at it like that, and it's the ones who DON'T take the bait who are questionable.

I was responding the the "everyone would leave their job for more money" part, Billston.  Clearly not true.  If you offered me £100k a year to clean out your drains with my tongue I'd probably refuse.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on September 24, 2013, 03:52:43 pm by Jenny »
Not a fair comparison Rob. If someone offered you more money doing the exact same job I imagine you would at least consider it, much like most people would.

I don't know why so much is placed on loyalty in football - at the end of the day, for the players and managers, it is just a job. The players especially have a very limited career, they need to make the most from it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 24, 2013, 04:00:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We place a high value in loyalty in football because we want to buy in to the idea that a player or manager holds our club as close to his heart as we fans do. It's a nice comforting fantasy but for the most part it's nowt more than that.

Duggy going to Rotherham disabused me if any such feeble-minded notions.

Alan Smith at Leeds was the perfect example. A compulsive badge kisser, loved by the fans. Soon f***ed off to Old Trafford though when the Risdale experiment went tits up.

Rob. I was talking about a step up in job but there are limits. You picked a singularly bad analogy mate. Any job relating to personally attending to my emissions is so valued that I'd expect an orderly queue to form for the honour of being allowed to do it for no more reward than a couple of Prem sarnies and a kick in the b*llocks.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:02:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on September 24, 2013, 09:00:52 pm by RobTheRover »
Rob. I was talking about a step up in job but there are limits. You picked a singularly bad analogy mate. Any job relating to personally attending to my emissions is so valued that I'd expect an orderly queue to form for the honour of being allowed to do it for no more reward than a couple of Prem sarnies and a kick in the b*llocks.

Well, why didnt you say so?  Some things transcend monetary considerations....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 24, 2013, 11:05:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Christ, even by my standards, that were a particularly rambling and verbose load of b*llocks.

In mitigation, I wrote it whilst sat on the pan at work after a long and rather terse argument with a customer over the precise meaning of some phrases in a contract.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012