Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 09:26:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Best place you have watched football?  (Read 4277 times)

RobbieDRFC

• Forum Member
Best place you have watched football?
« on October 16, 2013, 05:59:48 pm by RobbieDRFC »
oslo's on a different topic speaking about the experience he had watching football in Moscow, got me thinking to the best place I have watched football.

While in Argentina I watched River Plate V Racing, the stadium was massive holding 75'000, it was half empty but the noise which was coming for around the ground was deafening. All of surrounding areas would stop selling beer up until kick off.  They were some of the most passionate fans i have ever seen, non stop singing and drumming for 90 minutes.

Apart from the Keepmoat, wheres the best place you have watched the beautiful game?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
Re: Best place you have watched football?
« Reply #1 on October 16, 2013, 06:05:24 pm by normal rules »
the position and view from the top of the away stand at st james park (Newcastle not Exeter!) takes some beating.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 16, 2013, 06:12:39 pm by Filo »
Top of the old Rosso end at BV, great view when it was a proper banked terracing

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 16, 2013, 06:35:26 pm by German Rover »
Parkhead, Celtic, rangers was awesome, the noise was something like I've never heard before or since.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 16, 2013, 06:46:28 pm by not on facebook »
Top of the old Rosso end at BV, great view when it was a proper banked terracing

The away end up in the clouds at the nou camp is a very interesting place to watch a game ,as you Get a view Of how the game is played When Your team does not have the ball that you can never grasp in 99% Of other stadiums i guess.

You are so high up you can see Your team move as one whole Unit whenever the ball is passed Across the pitch.

Barca had the ball iand were passing it Across Their defencesive line in Their own half.
If the ball was passed to barcas LH side Of play the whole chelsea team Stepped Across to Their RH side to count effect the distance the ball had travelled.

From the chelsea forward,to midfielders,defence and Even Peter chech in goal.

When Barca then passed the ball Throu Their ranks to barcas RH side then the whole chelsea team side Stepped to Their LH side as one Unit.

Anyone recall billy shankly on the bench at Wembley doing that Odd looking sidewards movenment with his hands,the penny dropped for me on
What i think shankly was saying after watching chelsea that night.

You ate that high up you Cant really work out who is which player only what team he plays for in most cases

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 16, 2013, 07:10:18 pm by scaley back rover »
Agree with that oslo went to barca a couple of years back sat right under the scoreboard next to the away end , amazing seeing a game from that view as you see everything .

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 16, 2013, 07:12:23 pm by wilts rover »
Stadio San Paolo Naples. I saw the Napoli - Roma derby a couple of years ago, now that is a football crowd.

My favourite British stadium is the Millennium in Cardiff. We didn't have a particularly great view at the Johnstone's Paint Final, but I have been there several times for various events and always enjoyed it. I like how steep the stands are.

CGJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 16, 2013, 07:25:27 pm by CGJ »
Again Parkhead against Rangers on a New Years day. From behind the goals, I looked up at the front edge of stand roof above me and it was actually moving up and down from the crescendo of sound below. Had to be seen to be believed. Worthy use of the word Awesome.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 16, 2013, 07:27:50 pm by not on facebook »
Agree with that oslo went to barca a couple of years back sat right under the scoreboard next to the away end , amazing seeing a game from that view as you see everything .

When i was up in the the clouds at nou camp and that was march time,i was far more colder Than anytime When i was in moscow in november for a CL game.

You just dont Expect Barcelona to be that cold.i thought somert was a miss
When i noticed all the riot Police kitted out with full face baraclavas on

Was not untill i got up top after what Seemed a life time climbing stairs that i noticed how cold it was.

Quite an impressive view from the back Wall Across the outside and Roof tops

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 16, 2013, 07:28:48 pm by Wellred »
1982 in the Sarria stadium in Barcelona to see Brazil beat Argentina 3-1.
Maradonna was sent off right in front of us.
You have never been to a football match until you have witnessed Brazil play Argentina.
Amazing atmosphere. Samba music from start to finish. Totally surreal.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 16, 2013, 07:37:08 pm by not on facebook »
Again Parkhead against Rangers on a New Years day. From behind the goals, I looked up at the front edge of stand roof above me and it was actually moving up and down from the crescendo of sound below. Had to be seen to be believed. Worthy use of the word Awesome.

Recall When England played Holland in Rotterdam  in the 1993 Word cup group qualifying game

The game that graham turner did not like.

The ground was two tiers,and  i was in the second tier Holland section just next to the England fans.

Fcuk me When Holland scored Their first ...that free kick by Kollmen.....
The ground errupted and i kid you not we was just standing in our seats
Ad the whole top tier Seemed to moving

I thought it was going to fall down as it felt unreal and very iffy but non Of
The dutch round us Seemed worried as they was still going mad a
Due to the goal.

A dutch bloke said you can allways tell When Its the first time anyone has Been to This ground in second tier When the ground starts rock and sway after a goal

Too fcuking right i said

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 16, 2013, 07:45:14 pm by Highland Rover »
Olympic Stadium Berlin , early 1970's..........Hertha BSC at their peak drawing 3-3 with Bayern Munich ( Beckenbauer et al )in front of 80,000 .

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 16, 2013, 07:54:51 pm by Draytonian III »
Belle Vue,
Keepmoat,
Wembley,
St James Park,
Britannia Stadium,
The Oval

uptonson

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 16, 2013, 08:10:09 pm by uptonson »
POAK Salonica for a pre season friendly with West Ham. The ground was about a quarter full but I have never heard a crowd as loud and the atmosphere was incredable.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on October 16, 2013, 08:33:17 pm by Tiddysdad »
Watching Rovers away against Rochdale in the 70's the only ground we sat down at. The old Rochdale cinema had closed and Rochdale had their old seats. Soft padded chairs and an ask tray on the back of the seat in front.
them where the days.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 16, 2013, 08:35:14 pm by Wellred »
Watching Rovers away against Rochdale in the 70's the only ground we sat down at. The old Rochdale cinema had closed and Rochdale had their old seats. Soft padded chairs and an ask tray on the back of the seat in front.
them where the days.

Not when it had rained and them bloody sets were damp.

Tiddysdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 16, 2013, 08:40:35 pm by Tiddysdad »
them where the days.

Not when it had rained and them bloody sets were damp.

The 70's were my halcyon days nothing but good memories - the sun always shone.
well except for at Hartlepool after someone burned part of the stand down leaving a big hole. so they put away fans there and the wind blow of the north sea through it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 16, 2013, 09:03:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »
does anyone recall the concrete terracing bouncing at Boston when Rovers won the League 2 title?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 16, 2013, 09:22:21 pm by silent majority »
Far too many great memories, but a handful I recall,

Soldier Field, Chicago.  Eng v USA
NY Giants, New York.  Eng v Columbia
Luzniki Stadium, Moscow. Eng v Russia
Benfica, Lisbon. Eng v France & Croatia
Zagreb, Croatia. Eng v Croatia (2)
Olympic Stadium, Berlin. Eng v Germany

And a lot more!

Pintolager

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 16, 2013, 09:30:40 pm by Pintolager »
Nou Camp
St James Park Newcastle
Millennium Stadium.

Agree totally about the comments regarding the Nou Camp....a totally different perspective of movement of play from up above.

Would have liked to have watched a game at the Luzhniki when I went to Moscow, but it was the weekend of Russia's National Day celebrations so they were having concerts there at the time.

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 16, 2013, 09:54:44 pm by ponte_ricky »
Ive not been to countless grounds but I saw one of the olympic matches at old trafford. Thats a pretty surreal stadium.
First ground I went to see rovers was sheff utd a few years ago. I actually really liked it there i couldnt have asked for a better game to start supporting rovers.

Also really like brentford. Bit of a shithole but made for a great atmosphere as its not on a retail park

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 16, 2013, 09:55:19 pm by IDM »
Victoria Park, Dingwall.  Ross Co 0 Inverness CT 3, when both were in the bottom tier of the SFL.  If memory serves, the date was the same as when England drew 0-0 in Rome to qualify for the 2008 WC.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 16, 2013, 10:23:26 pm by mushRTID »

When i was up in the the clouds at nou camp and that was march time,i was far more colder Than anytime When i was in moscow in november for a CL game.

You just dont Expect Barcelona to be that cold.i thought somert was a miss
When i noticed all the riot Police kitted out with full face baraclavas on

Was not untill i got up top after what Seemed a life time climbing stairs that i noticed how cold it was.

Quite an impressive view from the back Wall Across the outside and Roof tops

I went to watch barca in mid january 2 years ago. I can honestly say it was the coldest iv ever been at football.....and iv been to Oldham!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 16, 2013, 10:28:53 pm by jonnydog »
My mates house. He provided all the beer I could drink, rovers won and his missus even made proper kebab on their BBQ.

I even got my leg over that night in their spare room... Magic!!

Just shows, a proper good match day experience costs nowt :thumbsup:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 16, 2013, 10:43:51 pm by RedJ »
Ive not been to countless grounds but I saw one of the olympic matches at old trafford. Thats a pretty surreal stadium.
First ground I went to see rovers was sheff utd a few years ago. I actually really liked it there i couldnt have asked for a better game to start supporting rovers.

Also really like brentford. Bit of a shithole but made for a great atmosphere as its not on a retail park

Agree with Brentford. Loved every minute of it, even without the added time. I loved London Road too, won't be the same without the terrace.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 17, 2013, 12:20:28 am by Mr1Croft »
I always enjoyed watching from the scaffolding at Blackpool...

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 17, 2013, 08:12:02 am by moses »
I always like going to Glanford Park. We are always go in the Scunny end, meet up with a few old Scunny friends and we always seem to do well.
And if we dont I remind them about the Micky Norbury 0-5.
Best for me as it is one of the few times you can watch a live game with the opposiing fans, have a bit of banter and get a completly opposite view of the game.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 17, 2013, 08:50:48 am by GazLaz »
The Lawn, Forest Green.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 17, 2013, 11:10:21 am by Colin C No.3 »
Nou Camp 1970. Barca beat Celta Vigo 3-0.

I couldn't believe it when the players entered the pitch from 'underneath' the ground.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 17, 2013, 12:37:01 pm by Barmby Rover »
Very parochial I know but beating the Dingles at Oakwell on a famous foggy night with Donny Dog having a mock fight with their mascot and a thrashing for them was brilliant.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012