Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:29:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ex Rover called Dixie?  (Read 6660 times)

Savvy

• Forum Member
Re: Ex Rover called Dixie?
« Reply #30 on December 09, 2013, 10:55:58 pm by Savvy »
Thanks for that!!! Like I've been saying you just don't forget goals like that!!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 10, 2013, 09:25:56 am by The Red Baron »
Thanks for sorting that out, Jon. I recall now that I missed the York game (not sure why but as it was a Sunday I might not have been able to get a train up to Donny- I didn't have a car in those days). Sounds like I missed a special goal, but I did see the screamer he scored at Rotherham.

BST- I do recall Neil Woods scoring a goal from distance but it wasn't against Rotherham. He never scored at Belle Vue against them. It's possible you might be thinking of the goal Paul Holmes scored against York on Easter Monday 1986. He let fly just after crossing the halfway line and the ball flew in the top corner. It was the only goal he scored for Rovers.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on December 10, 2013, 11:34:34 am by GazLaz »
Dixie? Was his second name Normous?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on December 10, 2013, 12:37:41 pm by RobTheRover »
Ray went on to work for DMBC after finishing his playing days.  I came up against him in an inter-departmental 5-a-side competition in the early 90s.  He was a big, big fella by then but was still the best player on the park by a country mile.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 10, 2013, 03:53:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Jon

I'd have put good money on Deans's goal against Rotherham being into the Tivoli End. I can picture him picking the ball up near the touch line next to the little stand down the side of the alley and hitting it away from us.

Dougie had stuck a gem of a header into the same goal earlier. And late on, Kilmore had a chance to equalise in front of us, lobbed the keeper and it stuck in the mud. Which is what makes me so sure we were kicking away from the Railway End in the 2nd half.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 10, 2013, 04:11:12 pm by RedRover45 »
Jon

I'd have put good money on Deans's goal against Rotherham being into the Tivoli End. I can picture him picking the ball up near the touch line next to the little stand down the side of the alley and hitting it away from us.

Dougie had stuck a gem of a header into the same goal earlier. And late on, Kilmore had a chance to equalise in front of us, lobbed the keeper and it stuck in the mud. Which is what makes me so sure we were kicking away from the Railway End in the 2nd half.

Sorry Bill, I agree with Jon. It was definitely in front of us lot in the Railway End. I remember running down the terrace to celebrate and falling arse over tit on the concrete......

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on December 10, 2013, 06:49:56 pm by TheRev »
He can also be found in the Doncaster Town Cricket Club, where his young lad plays for the juniors. I think he also coaches the juniors.

That's correct donnyplant and his lad is quite useful too. Dixie is still a huge figure......

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 10, 2013, 11:54:16 pm by JonWallsend »
Jon

BST, definitely into Railway End. We attacked the Tivoli in first half. Went in at half time 2-2.(Dougie header and John Buckley) Ray Deans winner would have knocked me over, standing on the Railway end, had the net not got in the way.

I remember Kilmore's lob getting stuck in the mud, but I think that was in the first half at our end. He hit the bar with a curler in the second half with Dennis well beaten.

I don't ever recall us getting anything else at Millmoor, a 0-0 early in SODs tenure apart, other than pelted with bricks on the way up Millmoor Lane.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on December 11, 2013, 12:10:55 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Right lads, I'll accept the consensus. My memory is obviously on the way out. Too much Alpine Ayingerbrau over the years...

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on December 11, 2013, 01:01:19 am by PDX_Rover »
Happy days anyway eh? I remember that Tommy Gaynor goal against Rotherham. We thought we'd got a superstar. Then I think Cloughie took him to Forest didn't he a couple of years later?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012