Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:58:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Away fans in home end  (Read 20592 times)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re: Away fans in home end
« Reply #120 on December 18, 2013, 04:41:33 am by hoolahoop »

There was a suggestion from Twinkletoes that those who don't want trouble should be able to go and sit quietly and watch the game.... pretty much everything I hate about the game at the minute. The atmosphere and match day experience is being sanitised by people who 'just want to sit quietly'....

:that: I used to feel so much 'safer' at Belle Vue though, we had much more of a territory, it felt a lot more like a tight nit community of supporters on the Pop side. We are constantly out-sung and often out-supported at the KMS, would i have detested Leeds games at Belle Vue? Probably not - id have probably welcomed the sense of big occasion, the tense atmosphere.

Its been covered a million times over but we have such a need to dissect those supporters who want to sit down (like in the Main stand of old) and quietly enjoy the game and those who want to chant and create an intimidating atmosphere for travelling teams.

So much safer at Belle Vue?

You obviously weren't around in the late 70's early 80's when the popside was invaded by various opposition fans on a regular basis!

As I recall, our fans used to create mayhem virtually every where they went to . That's what happened then but unlike Leeds fans we have moved on except in isolated cases.
Nowadays violence one on one seems to be kept 'in house' I.e. we fight amongst ourselves now !

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on December 18, 2013, 07:17:26 am by Bentley Bullet »

Read my post above, I know plenty... Family, friends, colleagues.... Most of them are good people, some of them get a bit stupid when they go to the football, as do some Rovers fans I know.

That's why segregation is such a good idea!

Part of me hopes that Leeds get promoted (rather than us getting relegated)

What does the other part of you hope for?

Rovers getting promoted?

Heaven forbid, then we'd have all those nasty Premiership fans in the home ends and it would cost too much to watch us away.

Why would we?

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on December 18, 2013, 08:26:26 am by RedRover45 »

Read my post above, I know plenty... Family, friends, colleagues.... Most of them are good people, some of them get a bit stupid when they go to the football, as do some Rovers fans I know.

Rovers getting promoted?

Heaven forbid, then we'd have all those nasty Premiership fans in the home ends and it would cost too much to watch us away.

Not sure it would on either count to be honest with you. Looking at the teams in the Prem, I think only Man Utd and possibly Liverpool and Newcastle would have fans in the home end, and as for prices, we've played over half the teams in the Prem in the last few years anyway. Also add to that, most would only charge a smaller amount because we're not fashionable opposition. For example it only cost £20 for Norwich v Swansea at the weekend. Fair enough, it would cost at Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc but they would be the exception not the norm. And let's face it, most Rovers fans would probably pay it for a once in a lifetime experience, I know I would...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on December 18, 2013, 09:22:11 am by Filo »

Rovers getting promoted?

Newcastle, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Bolton, WBA, Blackburn, Hull, West Ham are all recent premiership clubs that have been to the KM, add that to Sheff Utd and Sheff Wednesday who bring large followings, and we never had a problem with any of their fans in the home ends, in fact the only time we've had problems with it is with the Leeds fans, so I think your nasty premiership fans comment is way off the mark

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on December 18, 2013, 09:41:22 am by Jenny »
Maybe I should have added a tongue in cheek emoticon at the end of that post.....

Although in all seriousness, I don't think you can judge some of the above teams away support on visits to the Keepmoat for cup/Championship or League One games.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on December 18, 2013, 09:42:16 am by hoolahoop »

Rovers getting promoted?

Newcastle, Tottenham, Aston Villa, Bolton, WBA, Blackburn, Hull, West Ham are all recent premiership clubs that have been to the KM, add that to Sheff Utd and Sheff Wednesday who bring large followings, and we never had a problem with any of their fans in the home ends, in fact the only time we've had problems with it is with the Leeds fans, so I think your nasty premiership fans comment is way off the mark

Seems we've almost come full circle in that even including local rivals and most Prem teams we only have a problem with one set of fans.
In all these recent years we've had the Wall , Hammers and the 2 Welsh teams as visitors ; all carry reps but little or no bother ever.
Then there is the Scum who seem to either start trouble or antagonise our own into starting trouble EVERY time.

It has to be because of that little but troublesome group of mouthy Tw#ts the lowlife Donnyshites.

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on December 18, 2013, 03:12:55 pm by stuey »

Rovers getting promoted?

But of those, I know there were fans of Sheff Weds, Newcastle, and Spurs in the home end, but, like you say, the difference being, with no trouble. I personally think the only PL fans which would cause a problem would be Liverpool and Man Utd due to the massive amounts of Doncaster based fans of those clubs.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on December 18, 2013, 04:24:07 pm by hoolahoop »
I don't know Citee and the Arse are very 2014 amongst the armchair supporters of the Borough too these days don't you think ?

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on December 18, 2013, 04:43:07 pm by Crowle Rover »
 Remember when we played Spurs in the league cup a few years ago?

A couple of lads in front of us were Spurs fans but behaved themselves. They won 5-1 and did not celebrate when the goals went in and applauded the Rovers goal. No problem with these supporters.

Remember when we played Leeds for the first time at the Keepmoat?

They score after 20 minutes and a few mouthy t**ts stood up, cheered and gestured at the Rovers fans like the retards they are. One did get a face full of hot coffee though so not all bad.

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on December 18, 2013, 05:00:27 pm by German Rover »
Remember when we played Spurs in the league cup a few years ago?

A couple of lads in front of us were Spurs fans but behaved themselves. They won 5-1 and did not celebrate when the goals went in and applauded the Rovers goal. No problem with these supporters.

Remember when we played Leeds for the first time at the Keepmoat?

They score after 20 minutes and a few mouthy t**ts stood up, cheered and gestured at the Rovers fans like the retards they are. One did get a face full of hot coffee though so not all bad.

Remember that and some t**t covered me in coffee as well, but it's alright he was throwing it at a Leeds fan, never mind the women and kids sat around there.  w**ker

Tokyos Boot

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on December 19, 2013, 02:31:26 pm by Tokyos Boot »

There was a suggestion from Twinkletoes that those who don't want trouble should be able to go and sit quietly and watch the game.... pretty much everything I hate about the game at the minute. The atmosphere and match day experience is being sanitised by people who 'just want to sit quietly'....

:that: I used to feel so much 'safer' at Belle Vue though, we had much more of a territory, it felt a lot more like a tight nit community of supporters on the Pop side. We are constantly out-sung and often out-supported at the KMS, would i have detested Leeds games at Belle Vue? Probably not - id have probably welcomed the sense of big occasion, the tense atmosphere.

Its been covered a million times over but we have such a need to dissect those supporters who want to sit down (like in the Main stand of old) and quietly enjoy the game and those who want to chant and create an intimidating atmosphere for travelling teams.
Okay, when have we been outsupported at the Keepmoat? The Leeds League Cup game is the only time there's been anywhere close to the same amount of away fans as home fans.

By out-supported i'm not talking in terms of populus, i mean in terms of actual support. That can be a combination of atmosphere created by singing songs, staying power throughout the game, a want to give the team a lift on the pitch, a bit of passion!

I know away day fans are always more raucous, but our support (although the attendances are higher) are a shadow of what they used to be in the lower league days!

'Rovers till i die' needs to be reworded to 'Rovers till we're 3-0 down and i need to get out of the car park before full time'.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on December 19, 2013, 10:35:21 pm by hoolahoop »

Okay, when have we been outsupported at the Keepmoat? The Leeds League Cup game is the only time there's been anywhere close to the same amount of away fans as home fans.

By out-supported i'm not talking in terms of populus, i mean in terms of actual support. That can be a combination of atmosphere created by singing songs, staying power throughout the game, a want to give the team a lift on the pitch, a bit of passion!

I know away day fans are always more raucous, but our support (although the attendances are higher) are a shadow of what they used to be in the lower league days!

'Rovers till i die' needs to be reworded to 'Rovers till we're 3-0 down and i need to get out of the car park before full time'.

Look around you at games , our support consists mainly of youngsters and older men/women. It will come but in time providing we can keep this young crop into adulthood and interested in the club.
This will involve a lot of hard work on behalf of the club. We have to make sure we don't price them out of the market.

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on December 19, 2013, 10:54:57 pm by Belle_Vue »
Problem here in donny, university.
Loads and loads of kids ssupport rovers home and away and they turn that age, and they move away to university in other cities. Maybe to return after but not likely and certainly not to the same extent

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on December 19, 2013, 11:12:02 pm by Muttley »
Loads and loads of kids ssupport rovers home and away and they turn that age, and they move away to university in other cities. Maybe to return after but not likely and certainly not to the same extent

Surely that's the same for every club as I'd guess that most kids don't go to university in their home town?

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on December 19, 2013, 11:22:45 pm by Jenny »
I'd say it's less of an issue in a town like Doncaster to be honest. Lots of youngsters never do leave....

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on December 19, 2013, 11:26:42 pm by Belle_Vue »
Jenny don't you live in Leeds? !

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on December 19, 2013, 11:28:22 pm by Jenny »
Yes but like many youngsters in Doncaster I didn't really leave for university.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on December 19, 2013, 11:37:32 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
As pointed our earlier in the thread, the demographic of our fans base means we are not breeding the next generation of Rovers/football fans quick enough.  But there's more to it than that.

I'm sure over the next 5 to 10 years at least, we'll see a continued decline in support up and down the country. It would take something massive like England winning the world cup to re-invigorate the game.

You can foresee The League Cup struggling to find sponsorship, you can foresee the JPT being scrapped. THE FA Cup is teetering as it is no longer regarded as the pinnacle of club football.

Sometimes you have to go backwards before you go forwards. We've been going backwards for a few years now and until we reclaim the game we loved, we will not move forward as a league and as a nation.

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on December 20, 2013, 12:09:17 am by Belle_Vue »
So maybe improving the little things such as atmosphere is key, which could be improved by going backwards to standing?

Tokyos Boot

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on December 20, 2013, 10:38:51 am by Tokyos Boot »

I can relate to that.

I went away to university following our League 2 and 1 romp, left a loud and proud 30 game a season supporter...
of course you then find yourself in a different city (perhaps) and i got my footie fix watching The Imps at Sincil Bank for a tenner a match and loved it! Obviously every now and then i'd be back for a bit of Rovers but i think i found myself spoilt by lower league prices and the charms of a rough and tumble small club again!

I have to admit since graduating i literally couldn't afford to get to Rovers like i used to, and became a little disenfranchised with Rovers even with us at our highest level ever!
It then becomes a habit that is hard (and financially unappealing) to pick back up! I still get to games, but i much prefer an away day to the KMS - i feel its better value for money as an experience. (which is a shame as its money not going in to DRFCs pocket)!

I don't know what football as a game can do to keep this age bracket, i still feel as passionate about Rovers as i ever did, i just lead with my head (and my wallet) when choosing what games to attend.

The saddest truth in it all is, i'd probably be there every week if we were League 2, at League 2 prices!

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on December 21, 2013, 11:08:49 am by Al4475 »
So maybe improving the little things such as atmosphere is key, which could be improved by going backwards to standing?

Agreed B_V

And when we tried to set a Match Atmosphere Group up to help try and set things in motion very few people bothered to turn up.

In three meetings I think we managed 10 different people at the most including two of us that managed each meeting.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012