Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:34:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Charlton at it again  (Read 3865 times)

donnyguy61

Charlton at it again
« on January 11, 2014, 01:21:30 pm by donnyguy61 »
Game called off two hours before kick off

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Charlton postpone another fixture
« Reply #1 on January 11, 2014, 01:23:12 pm by Filo »
Let the Barnsley fans travel before calling a pitch inspection at 1pm, disgrace of a pitch!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
Re: Charlton at it again
« Reply #2 on January 11, 2014, 01:29:38 pm by jonnydog »
I can't see how they're pitch gets that wet to call of as many games as they have so far... It's not like it's in a valley or owt!!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 11, 2014, 01:30:57 pm by Filo »
The only sport that pitch is fit for is the Haxey Hood

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 11, 2014, 01:38:18 pm by nice one rovers »
It's all gone downhill since they changed their postcode to SW4 4MP.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 11, 2014, 01:42:39 pm by Dare to dream! »
I can't remeber them having this many games called off before something must have changed

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 11, 2014, 01:46:43 pm by Beerseller »
The drains have collapsed at one end of the pitch and it can't be repaired during the playing season.

This is from their website:

With the state of the pitch becoming a growing concern, Deputy Head Groundsman Nathan Chapman discussed the options to return it to optimum condition.

He said: “We're going to place a dome on the surface for a week to dry the pitch out and then we can work with the bigger machinery to get it flat and dried out to a level where it's playable.

Chapman revealed the Valley pitch's woes of late are attributed to a partial collapse of its drainage system which cannot be rectified until the end of the current campaign.

“We're in this predicament because the pitch hasn't had any sufficient drainage work done on it for the past 16 or 17 years," he said.

"The drainage system is collapsed at one end which prevents any water from going through and as a result it just holds on the surface.

“The drainage runs are all sealed and capped and don't run into the main chamber so there is no movement. The water just sits at the top, taking a very long time to go through.”

He continued: “The only way to permanently solve the problem is to wait until the summer when we will put into action plans of a new drainage system which will then be sufficient enough.

“The reason we can't do it now is because we need to dig the whole pitch up and pretty much start again. We are hopeful we won't have a problem getting through these next tricky few months." 

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 11, 2014, 01:50:16 pm by Al4475 »
Their games will keep stacking up! Good be a good thing! But they could also do what they did to us in the rescheduled game! Caught between a rock and a hard place or a swamp and a wet place - whichever way you wanna look at it!

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 11, 2014, 08:22:33 pm by Draytonian III »
Games maybe stacking up ,but they about to have some major investment,which will bring new players etc,just a thought

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 11, 2014, 08:44:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Wasn't Ronnie Biggs a Charlton Athletic fan? Makes me wonder if he was the mastermind behind the collapsed under-pitch water pipes, causing today's postponement, despite him not living long enough to see it?

He was alive when Rovers were robbed due to similar reasons though. Maybe that was just the start of the 'great drain robbery'.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 12, 2014, 09:00:41 am by The Red Baron »
I don't often have sympathy for Barnsley fans, but I do in this case. There was no overnight rain in that part of London, nor was there on the day of the game, yet it was called off at 1pm when the Barnsley fans were en route to the ground.

Charlton should have held a pitch inspection on Friday afternoon or asked the match referee to come early and look at it first thing Saturday morning. The ref turned up at the normal time, had a look and realised there was a problem. Charlton even told Barnsley fans who inquired if the game would be OK that it was definitely on (shades of Dave Morris!)

Charlton should be fined by the FL for failing to hold precautionary inspections and made to compensate Barnsley and their fans for their costs incurred in a needless journey.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 12, 2014, 09:06:06 am by Filo »
Looking at TV pictures of that pitch, it's clear that pitch will need an extended period of dry weather for it to dry out, they're going to have an almighty fixture pile up unless they find somewhere else to play

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 12, 2014, 09:11:41 am by The Red Baron »
Apparently they're going to blow hot air onto the pitch. (Maybe they could borrow the normal residents of the House of Commons?) They have a FA Cup game scheduled for this week- already postponed twice- and if that is called off again they may have to move it to a neutral venue.

However, a fixture pile-up of home games might suit them quite nicely in a relegation battle.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 12, 2014, 09:18:43 am by RedJ »
On the other hand it could get the crowd right on their backs if it doesn't go to plan.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: (No subject)
« Reply #14 on January 12, 2014, 10:03:31 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
This is something that happens every season and gets swept under the carpet. There should be a mechanism for pitch inspections being timed specifically to consider the travelling support. If there is an amber warning then it should be made clear 'travel at your own risk'. If any travelling support is given the green light and the game is called off then compensation becomes payable. There is enough money in football to set up a pot of insurance money to support this. Over to you S_M.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 12, 2014, 10:10:37 am by Filo »
I was thinking of something along the lines of insurance pots, maybe filter some TV money into it each season, and fines for clubs that don't stick to any guidelines, taking fans for granted has to stop. Apparently the ground staff at Charlton didn't feel the need to call anyone in to look at the pitch on Friday, these will be the same ground staff that did nothing to try and ensure our game finished, while the Rovers players were doing their jobs. I would n't be surprised if Charlton are using this pitch to their advantage, apparently they have a lengthy injury list

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 12, 2014, 11:06:13 am by silent majority »
There has always been an insurance scheme running for travelling supporters, well at least those that travel by coach anyway. The FSF have been doing this for years.

It will be interesting to hear the views of the FSF Chair of the Yorkshire division as he was one of those caught up in it yesterday. I'll call him in a bit in the hope he's calmed down.

MiKA

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 12, 2014, 12:18:25 pm by MiKA »
What I find annoying is that the game will be rearranged to midweek where the Barnsley fans can't get so Charlton get an advantage.  I was one of those who was at Charlton when our game was called off and I feel for our Dingle friends who also made that journey

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 13, 2014, 08:37:28 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
As much as I don't like Barnsley, you've got to feel sorry for their fans! Two hours before KO is just an absolute farce! That's 4 games they've had postponed/abandoned this season, and there's a strong chance their FA Cup game vs Oxford tonight won't go ahead!

Surely it's a fineable offence!? It's probably the difference between them staying up and going down! I mean they've pinched three points off relegation rivals already this season! (us).

Beerseller

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 13, 2014, 09:33:02 am by Beerseller »
I'm Just thinking again about this drain collapse.    We played Charlton back in August in the abandoned game and I suspect the drains were gone then.  If that's so, why didn't they carry out the repairs last summer? 

Belle_Vue

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 13, 2014, 09:35:32 am by Belle_Vue »
It's funny I mentioned this after their f.a cup and got moaned at as 'they cannot change the weather'

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 13, 2014, 10:21:02 am by TheFunk »
I'm Just thinking again about this drain collapse.    We played Charlton back in August in the abandoned game and I suspect the drains were gone then.  If that's so, why didn't they carry out the repairs last summer? 

I think it was because they were skint.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 13, 2014, 11:01:09 am by Colin C No.3 »
Yet another example of fans being the last ones to be given any thought to.

Disgraceful.

Someone should be made accountable, but of course we know that'll not happen.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 13, 2014, 12:33:46 pm by Muttley »

Surely it's a fineable offence!?

I'd rather they had points deducted!

donnyguy61

« Reply #24 on January 13, 2014, 02:11:08 pm by donnyguy61 »
See what tomorrow brings

SkySportsNews 3m
FA Cup third round tie between Charlton and Oxford Utd to go ahead tomorrow after pitch passes inspection

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 14, 2014, 06:13:28 pm by RedJ »
Apparently this has been called off too.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 14, 2014, 06:21:30 pm by The Red Baron »
Still on according to their official site.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on January 14, 2014, 08:20:02 pm by eastender »
Still on according to their official site.
Charlton 2 -0  down , i wonder if they'll put the sprinklers on at half time .  :whistle:

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 14, 2014, 08:20:40 pm by RedJ »
They'd be buggered if they had Diouf. :laugh:

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 14, 2014, 08:24:12 pm by Dare to dream! »
Just seen a picture of their pitch tonight it really is ridiculous.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012