Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Weather 'darn sarf!  (Read 5061 times)

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
Weather 'darn sarf!
« on February 06, 2014, 09:38:13 am by rover-n-out »
Hi everybody, well here I am in Lympstone, near Exmouth Devon, having driven down yesterday to see my sister and celebrate my wife's birthday tomorrow. The journey, thankfully was uninterrupted by road works, but the driving conditions kept me well alert with heavy rain and driving winds.
Looking at the forecast for tomorrow, more of the same with the south coast being battered with heavy rain and wind.
It's absolutely teaming down at the moment, and is forecast to continue over the weekend.
As we passed Bridgewater and crossed over the River Tone, from the M5 you could see the scale of the flooding for miles and continued that way onwards. I couldn' t help but feel sorry for all the villages in it' s path, and how miserable and thouroughly pi+++ d off the inhabitants must be.
My point is, I do hope those of you travelling down to Brighton have a safe and trouble free journey, and hope the match isn't called off when you get down there. For those of you driving down, take care, and don't forget your Wellies and Brollies, you're gonna need 'em. COYR!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedRover45

• Forum Member
Re: Weather 'darn sarf!
« Reply #1 on February 06, 2014, 11:01:23 am by RedRover45 »
On a purely selfish point of view, I really hope it is called off, as I have to work and am missing it grrrr !
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:48:54 am by RedRover45 »

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 06, 2014, 11:24:44 am by hoolahoop »
Sounds really shitty doesn't sound like a day to look hard just sporting your rovers colours that's for sure.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 06, 2014, 11:31:48 am by Jenny »
Brighton on a Tuesday night? YUK!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 06, 2014, 11:42:54 am by hoolahoop »
Brighton on a Tuesday night? YUK!

I can't think of anything worse :(

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 06, 2014, 11:43:47 am by Padge_DRFC »
Surely a ground like Brighton's will have the pitch covered if it's throwing it down non stop.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 06, 2014, 01:58:10 pm by Northants Nomad »
Surely a ground like Brighton's will have the pitch covered if it's throwing it down non stop.

They probably will, but it's also raining outside the stadium, and that's not all covered. The ground may be playable, the journey there and the surrounding area may be a little more difficult.

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 06, 2014, 02:10:54 pm by BrightonEye »
If the game were to be called off, this would be a first for the Amex. I don't know about pitch covers, but the drainage has always been excellent, with no surface water ever visible.

But if I were sitting in the front few rows, I'd certainly make sure I'd brought a decent mac and sou'wester!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on February 06, 2014, 08:23:27 pm by 1879Rovers »
I am near Reading. Chucked it down for the past few days. Friday in the south of England looks a reasonably nice day. Saturday is forecast for heavy showers. Last thing you want is to get down here and it be called off but it could be hard to call until late on with a nice day forecast for Friday.

ReadingViking

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 06, 2014, 08:58:17 pm by ReadingViking »
I am near Reading. Chucked it down for the past few days. Friday in the south of England looks a reasonably nice day. Saturday is forecast for heavy showers. Last thing you want is to get down here and it be called off but it could be hard to call until late on with a nice day forecast for Friday.

Fancy going halves on an arc.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 06, 2014, 10:30:12 pm by 1879Rovers »
I have been building mine. Getting hard work to get anywhere at the moment with so many roads closed for flooding. Took me an hour this morning to get 10 miles to get to work.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 06, 2014, 11:07:50 pm by BobG »
Southern Gloucestershire appears to be a lake - with occasional pimples sticking up. I've already heard of two cricket clubs who have cancelled their outdoor training sessions that were due to start in late March. There isn't going to be a sensible pitch anywhere round here until the end of June already - even if the sun came out tomorrow and never went away again.  Even getting to the compost heap at the bottom of my garden is an adventure in mud.

It's the end of the world ah tell thee.

BobG

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 06, 2014, 11:27:07 pm by 1879Rovers »
My local non-league football ground has been 3 foot under since the turn of the year. I actually work for a lawn treatment company and we are supposed to be starting our spring treatments in just three weeks time!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on February 06, 2014, 11:42:27 pm by BobG »
So that's a shed load of spiking then!

Bob

ReadingViking

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 07, 2014, 01:26:52 pm by ReadingViking »
My lad hasn't played football for 9 weeks now due to waterlogged pitches - talk about bouncing off the walls - at this rate his league wont finish until July.   At least it means we can get to Brighton tomorrow.

South Coast Rover

« Reply #15 on February 07, 2014, 01:57:47 pm by South Coast Rover »
As a Rovers fan living 25 miles from the Amex in Eastbourne, despite the weather I'd be very surprised if the game is off!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 07, 2014, 02:15:19 pm by albie »
Brighton area weather forecast shows heavy rain tonight, OK in the morning, but then high winds (60mph) and heavy showers by ko time.

Could become a bit of a lottery if that forecast is correct!

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 07, 2014, 05:48:33 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Hope our fans have save journeys !

Those wind speeds are going to at best ruin the game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2654710

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 08, 2014, 12:17:09 am by BrightonEye »
Fully enclosed stadium, with its highest stand in the West... will mean very limited wind effects at pitch level. So don't worry - besides, our respective teams' silky skills will surely determine the day!!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on February 08, 2014, 03:35:39 am by hoolahoop »
Fully enclosed stadium, with its highest stand in the West... will mean very limited wind effects at pitch level. So don't worry - besides, our respective teams' silky skills will surely determine the day!!

Seems the planners thought of everything, the huge overdraft no doubt evading the ffp rules somehow, the referee on the day of full inauguration and the fatted calf to be slaughtered on the orders of a mad Uruguayan :(

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 08, 2014, 08:47:18 am by IDM »
I would be very surprised if this fixture is at risk.

Some folks on here were doubting our last two home games due to the amount of rainfall, but for the time of year I would have said the pitch was as perfect as it could be.

I have no doubt that Brighton will be the same, with decent drainage etc.  Different matter if the stadium is literally flooded but I don't think waterlogging is a problem?

BrightonEye

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 08, 2014, 10:25:04 am by BrightonEye »
Seems the planners thought of everything, the huge overdraft no doubt evading the ffp rules somehow, the referee on the day of full inauguration and the fatted calf to be slaughtered on the orders of a mad Uruguayan :(
Well, at least that won't happen today!

On the more serious matters you raise, there is no 'huge overdraft'.  BHA's debt to chairman Tony Bloom is an interest free loan, and repayable in 2013 - but then 100% convertible into equity.

And FFP constraints apply only to the current account, not capital investments, so no rules have been evaded.

But, as for those 'big clubs', currently overspending massively on their 2013-14 playing budgets...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012