Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:04:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 15993 times)

IC1967

• Forum Member
Re: Scottish Independence
« Reply #120 on February 26, 2014, 05:29:34 pm by IC1967 »
RedJ you take pedantry to a new level. I suggest you take a simple challenge. The next time you go to Scotchland wear an England football shirt for the duration of your stay. I guarantee we will never see or hear from you ever again.

However if a Scotchman came to England and wore a Scotchland football shirt for the duration of his stay no one would bat an eyelid. He would be able to return safely to his homeland.

Do you think I'm right or wrong? A one word answer will do.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on February 26, 2014, 05:33:42 pm by Filo »
My mate went to Glasgow in an England cricket shirt, a Scotsman in a pub growled at him that cricket was a puffs game, my mate replied that was rich coming from a bloke wearing a skirt, he came back to England unharmed and friendly with a few Scotsmen

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on February 26, 2014, 05:35:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Mick! Mick! Mick!

Anybody in? You've stopped answering my straight questions again.

If RedJ went to Scotland in an England shirt and was beaten up, would it be  "The Scots" who did it?

PS

I'm running out of toes as well as fingers now Mick. Is it a New Year resolution of yours to stop answering straight questions?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on February 26, 2014, 05:37:53 pm by RedJ »
RedJ you take pedantry to a new level. I suggest you take a simple challenge. The next time you go to Scotchland wear an England football shirt for the duration of your stay. I guarantee we will never see or hear from you ever again.

However if a Scotchman came to England and wore a Scotchland football shirt for the duration of his stay no one would bat an eyelid. He would be able to return safely to his homeland.

Do you think I'm right or wrong? A one word answer will do.
Wrong.

Partly as I've worn an England shirt out in Aberdeen before. Next?

Besides, I don't know how you of all people can pick up on pedantry.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on February 26, 2014, 07:11:07 pm by wilts rover »
So we seem to have gone from 'all Scots hate anyone English' to 'if you are wearing an England football shirt in the wrong area on a Friday night there might be trouble'. If you are wearing a Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, football shirt in the wrong area on a Friday night you might find trouble - so what does that prove?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on February 26, 2014, 07:52:34 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Mick, I think you'll find the only English the Scots hate are those who refer to them as Scotch.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on February 26, 2014, 11:46:11 pm by IC1967 »
If RedJ went to Scotland in an England shirt and was beaten up, would it be  "The Scots" who did it?

Thats an easy question to answer. It would be the Scotch.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on February 26, 2014, 11:47:06 pm by IC1967 »
My mate went to Glasgow in an England cricket shirt, a Scotsman in a pub growled at him that cricket was a puffs game, my mate replied that was rich coming from a bloke wearing a skirt, he came back to England unharmed and friendly with a few Scotsmen

He is the exception that proves the rule.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on February 26, 2014, 11:50:22 pm by RedJ »
I take it you've no response to what I said then.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on February 26, 2014, 11:51:15 pm by IC1967 »
Wrong.

Partly as I've worn an England shirt out in Aberdeen before. Next?

You must be mad. It must have been very dark and you must have had it covered up with a coat or something. What you did was very reckless. Take my advice and don't do it again. You've had a very narrow escape. You won't be so lucky next time.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on February 27, 2014, 12:11:24 am by RedJ »
:laugh: Think what you like.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on February 27, 2014, 12:14:29 am by IC1967 »
I'll ask you again with no more hope of a cogent reply than ever: have you ever met "The Scots"?

The jury is out on that one. Though it appears you have already made your mind up. I offer up the following for your consideration:

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/articles/scotsirish.htm
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:22:56 pm by Forum Admin »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on February 27, 2014, 12:18:29 am by RedJ »
So who've you copied that off then? :)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on February 27, 2014, 12:23:26 am by Filo »
Mick, you've been warned before about copy and pasting articles without providing the link, so here it is

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/articles/scotsirish.htm

Try and produce your own arguments
Mick, you look rather sad googling things all the time

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on February 27, 2014, 12:24:40 am by RedJ »
Mick, you look rather sad googling things all the time

As if regularly trolling the forum of a football team he obviously couldn't care less about didn't look sad enough. :laugh:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on February 27, 2014, 07:28:15 am by wilts rover »
Neil Lennon, the very Irish football manager has been attached and had death threats to his family by Scots.

Terry Butcher the very English football manager has not.

Therefore proving my point the Scots hate the Irish and dont care about the English.

Game, set...match.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on February 27, 2014, 09:27:08 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Mick

Well done on your photographic memory. Unfortunately, it doesn't help to replace a lack of thinking.

To make it simple for you, I wasn't asking for a socio-historical treatise on The Scots.

I was asking whether you had met "The Scots" as as a plural. As an all-embracing collective. Or whether you had met "some Scots".

Actually, we all know that in reality you never leave your bedroom, so I suspect you've never met "any Scots".

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on February 27, 2014, 11:20:58 am by Wild Rover »
I'll ask you again with no more hope of a cogent reply than ever: have you ever met "The Scots"?

There is no evidence in the archaeo­logical record for any population movement from Ireland to Scotland, other than travel by occasional individuals.

In modern use, "Scottish people" or "Scots" is used to refer to anyone whose linguistic, cultural, family ancestral or genetic origins are from within Scotland. The Latin word Scotti originally applied to a particular, 5th century, Goidelic tribe that inhabited Ireland.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:23:45 am by Wild Rover »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on February 27, 2014, 11:52:13 am by The Red Baron »

That kind of ties in with my experience of dealing with Scots people when in Scotland. Rather like Aussies, they think of the English as stuck-up toffs, but if you're prepared to have a bit of friendly banter with them, they are usually OK with you.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on February 27, 2014, 11:57:14 am by IC1967 »
Neil Lennon, the very Irish football manager has been attached and had death threats to his family by Scots.

Therefore proving my point the Scots hate the Irish and dont care about the English.

Game, set...match.

I think you are mistaking some Protestant football fans as being wholly representative of the Scotch. They are not. It is true that some Scotch protestants hate the Irish but only because they are Catholic. Most Scotch love the Irish as the two nations have many cultural ties.

If the Scotch don't care about the English can you explain away the real life experiences of BFYP and Rios? Don't bother replying as you won't be able to.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on February 27, 2014, 11:58:46 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I've just stumbled across this quote from the great German poet Freidrich Schiller. I wonder if he ever sparred with Mick?

"Folly, thou conquerest, and I must yield!
Against stupidity the very gods
Themselves contend in vain."

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on February 27, 2014, 12:05:51 pm by Filo »

Game, set...match.

I think you are mistaking some Protestant football fans as being wholly representative of the Scotch. They are not. It is true that some Scotch protestants hate the Irish but only because they are Catholic. Most Scotch love the Irish as the two nations have many cultural ties.

If the Scotch don't care about the English can you explain away the real life experiences of BFYP and Rios? Don't bother replying as you won't be able to.

That's easy Mick, I'll use one of your in depth explanations

They are the exeptions that prove the rule ;)

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on February 27, 2014, 12:48:49 pm by Wild Rover »
2 of my 4 friends are Scots, 3 of the 4 girls I slept with are Scots. If there is so much hatred Why do so many Scotsmen and Scotswomen marry English folk.

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on February 27, 2014, 02:04:52 pm by Rios »
Seems my post has been taken to mean whatever your agenda wants it too.  Maybe I should have been a bit clearer.  Those of us who live here or have english friends are far less likely to "hate" the English than those of my family who have lived in the same town all their lives and don't interact with them.  It's the same reason people fear all muslims are terrorists, all working class people are dole scrounging chavs and all gay men fancy all straight men.  All proposterous and fear and hatred born out of ignorance rather than finding out what someone (or a particular group of people) are like before judging them.

I'd also point out seeing as the footy shirt (which was a throw away comment) has become so important, that I would never wear any of my Scotland shirts to an English football league ground.  I'd like to think it wouldn't be a problem, but it only takes one dick with alcohol in him (as they would have on a Friday night in Glasgow) to prove me wrong.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on February 27, 2014, 08:50:31 pm by Sprotyrover »
Couple of things I need to point out,Billy the Germans did not lose the First World War, they were not beaten but their leaders signed a very unfavorable Armistice agreement,which left a very bitter taste in their mouths which certain persons later exploited.
And Mick, Edward the First did not have it in for the Scots, He was consistent in treatng everybody like something he had just trodden in!
He persecuted the Jews, Persecuted the Welsh ,the Scots and his own
English and French subjects, he was a 'Great and terrible King' the book by that title is a superb read,you just have to admire him for being consistent.!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:13:30 pm by Sprotyrover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on February 27, 2014, 09:23:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Sproty

They signed an Armistice because they had been routed in the field and their troops were devastated by the flu pandemic. They tried holding out for better terms but the Allies threatened to resume hostilities and the Germans knew that they would be pushed back over the border and have the western part of the country occupied. Their main ally, Austro-Hungary was effectively out of the war after having its army smashed by Italy at Vittorio-Veneto and leading Germans (Prince Rupprecht for example)  thought that the German army would not be able to hold out over the winter. In fact, that is as near to a military defeat as makes no odds. But of course, the fact that they hadn't been pushed back into German, and their own towns and villages occupied made a useful foundation for you-know-who's myth making later. Just like Robbie Burns and that devious t**t Salmond can play the card that Scotland would always have been alright if only they hadn't let England bail them out in 1701 and take them over in 1707.

It's the exactly the same trick that folk use when they say, "Ah well, if Brown hadn't bailed out the banks and borrowed for stimulus in 08-10, we'd now be OK". Its counterfactual myth making that tells some people what they most want to hear, without having the responsibility of ever having had to put your own policy into action at the time.

Malc Morling

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on February 27, 2014, 11:43:56 pm by Malc Morling »
Has Doncaster as not been handed back over to England does that mean we can vote as well??? :chair:

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on February 28, 2014, 07:56:10 am by Wild Rover »
Has and as need swapping MM

TinyPortal © 2005-2012