Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:33:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Singing section  (Read 71547 times)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
Re: Singing section
« Reply #90 on March 12, 2014, 01:35:09 pm by ravenrover »
How did the singing go last night, again I never heard anything from our singing section, heard the Watford fans and the odd chant from the South Stand. Is there something seriously wrong with the acoustics in the stadium? I'm all for the singers getting together in one area, but I think that end of the West Stand for whatever reason is not working the noise the singers make is being drowned out by the away fans. At least that's how it appears and sounds from my seat in the West Stand
I made the same point after Saturday never heard a peep

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on March 12, 2014, 01:41:27 pm by silent majority »
I tell you one thing they'd never be told to go into the away end and tell them what to do and sit down and be quiet. It really is pathetic. Then again wouldn't want to ruin our 'family club' image.

Did we go in the home end and tell them to sit down and be
I witnessed part of it. They weren't, and they were checking all tickets as people went up, regardless of whether they had just come down or not.
Now, I'll be diplomatic, but the chant "are you watching Shaun Lockwood" is really good advice, particularly given the stewards were at odds with the club policy.

Apparently the stewards were acting under instruction from the club.

And I would suggest the club were acting under instructions from the Police.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on March 12, 2014, 01:43:16 pm by RedRover45 »
I tell you one thing they'd never be told to go into the away end and tell them what to do and sit down and be quiet. It really is pathetic. Then again wouldn't want to ruin our 'family club' image.

I witnessed part of it. They weren't, and they were checking all tickets as people went up, regardless of whether they had just come down or not.
Now, I'll be diplomatic, but the chant "are you watching Shaun Lockwood" is really good advice, particularly given the stewards were at odds with the club policy.

What police ? I didn't see any last night. Was it not a non-police fixture. If it wasn't, it certainly should have been.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on March 12, 2014, 01:44:46 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Well they make enough noise to be heard by the away fans,  judging by their reactions, and the players seem to respond to it, so I suppose it's having the right effect. Maybe if you got closer to them, or better still joined them, you wouldn't miss out.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on March 12, 2014, 01:46:27 pm by River Don »

The Police probably wouldn't be so concerned if the singing section wasn't quite so close to the away fans.

It'd be a shame if the singing section is stopped before it gets going because it's not situated in the ideal position.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on March 12, 2014, 01:47:18 pm by IDM »
[
What police ? I didn't see any last night. Was it not a non-police fixture. If it wasn't, it certainly should have been.

Maybe the reasons why some fixtures are "non-police" is because the stewards take on some of those responsibilities, on instructions from the police received before the games?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on March 12, 2014, 01:48:27 pm by silent majority »

Do the Police have to be present to issue instructions? Even at Police free games pre-match meetings will have a Police presence. It's at those meetings the decisions are taken and instruction given to the club.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on March 12, 2014, 03:26:14 pm by MrFrost »
So SM, has the singing section in that part of the stadium now been scrapped? As that's what people were being told by the stewards last night.

It's a shambles, and no wonder people can't be arsed to go to games at the Keepmoat any more. Another good idea that has fallen flat on its face because those with power can't or won't get behind it with any true enthusiasm.

We might as well make it compulsory to sit for the entire game, not sing, have no atmosphere, after all, it all goes against the "family club" image.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on March 12, 2014, 03:30:20 pm by Filo »
So SM, has the singing section in that part of the stadium now been scrapped? As that's what people were being told by the stewards last night.

It's a shambles, and no wonder people can't be arsed to go to games at the Keepmoat any more. Another good idea that has fallen flat on its face because those with power can't or won't get behind it with any true enthusiasm.

We might as well make it compulsory to sit for the entire game, not sing, have no atmosphere, after all, it all goes against the "family club" image.

I think you should be aiming that question at the person who liaised with the club in the first place regarding the singing section and then promoted it, I would have thought he's the one that should be following up the issues raised

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on March 12, 2014, 03:33:51 pm by MrFrost »
Who would that be?
Whatever, anyway, it seems we are now back to square one with any kind of singing section, its one step forward and two steps back. And then people wonder why attendances are dwindling.....

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on March 12, 2014, 04:07:26 pm by normal rules »
i think you will find there is a police presence at every game, you just don't see them if they are in the ground control room ;)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on March 12, 2014, 04:13:58 pm by bpoolrover »
Don't call it a singing section then just all arrange to meet there

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on March 12, 2014, 04:17:19 pm by Filo »
Don't call it a singing section then just all arrange to meet there

Call that area of the ground unofficially the Choir and then you could have a firm called the Choirboys :)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on March 12, 2014, 04:20:10 pm by silent majority »

Why are you asking me? I was just speculating that it would be a Police decision if anybody's. You need to read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote.

And who are you referring too exactly when you talk about those with the power who won't or can't get behind this?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on March 12, 2014, 04:22:30 pm by MrFrost »

Why are you asking me? I was just speculating that it would be a Police decision if anybody's. You need to read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote.

And who are you referring too exactly when you talk about those with the power who won't or can't get behind this?

I thought as a link between the club and the supporters you might know the answer.

Tokyos Boot

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on March 12, 2014, 04:36:12 pm by Tokyos Boot »
I think all of these Stewarding / Alleged trouble situations that are arising from the new fangled singing section are just teething problems.

I believe theres no smoke without fire where Police are concerned, if you want to stand with a bunch of lads who are known for inciting trouble or who try to put on some sort of 'criminal' hardman persona then you are going to be treat accordingly, if you look like your causing trouble and don't want to be accused of causing trouble - don't look like your causing trouble!!

Having said that, young lads who want to get raucous at matches get treat like thugs, and watched heavily - its almost like when everyone labels someone a 'bad lad' in school they may as well be bad! Boys will be boys, football is a sport that has a sense of vitriol and aggression between supporters - thats part of the game, no matter how you want to rebrand the sport a 'family' thing, these supporters are part of the drfc community, they pay their money and get behind the lads and are the beating heart of what a support is!

It might upset the grumpy rovers bourgeois to hear the odd 'swear' or see people stood up, but the truth is you'd get it at every other club in the country - embrace your singers, these are the people who travel away, who spend their minimum wages and pocket money on rovers, and (if made to feel welcome) will keep coming back no matter what level we're at!!

SLO@DRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on March 12, 2014, 05:38:47 pm by SLO@DRFC »
Members of the clubs senior management would like to meet with members of the singing section next week in order to discuss the singing section. 

The meeting will take place on Wednesday 19th March, 5.30pm at the Keepmoat Stadium.  Please attend if you can.

KieronDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on March 12, 2014, 05:44:49 pm by KieronDRFC »
Members of the clubs senior management would like to meet with members of the singing section next week in order to discuss the singing section. 

The meeting will take place on Wednesday 19th March, 5.30pm at the Keepmoat Stadium.  Please attend if you can.

Can this be put on the clubs website for all our fans to see?

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on March 12, 2014, 05:54:57 pm by Boomstick »
And the Facebook and Twitter page

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on March 12, 2014, 06:13:43 pm by Padge_DRFC »
There is an official singing section page on FB, I would say more view that than this forum tbh.

BigColSutherland

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on March 12, 2014, 06:18:14 pm by BigColSutherland »

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on March 12, 2014, 06:20:22 pm by MrFrost »
Can't see it happening there in the future. Which is crazy, other clubs allow their fans to congregate next to away fans.

Funny how the club didn't act against Barnsley or Huddersfield fans who let smoke canisters off in the stadium, many of them remained in the stadium.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on March 12, 2014, 06:45:04 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
From a neutral perspective, you can understand if there is evidence of unruly behaviour in that section then the club want to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand. Moreover, I'm sure you're all aware, policing costs can be a high burden on the club.

I'm sure, in one form or another we support a singing section however, as said above if this is being used as an excuse for unruly behaviour and to intimidate away fans, then those in favour of it need to understand the difference between this and creating an atmosphere. The two are not the same.

I've always maintained the South Stand is the best place to grow a kop/singing section, call it what you like. Creating a good atmosphere in a ground takes much more than this though. 

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on March 12, 2014, 07:08:08 pm by MrFrost »
From a neutral perspective, you can understand if there is evidence of unruly behaviour in that section then the club want to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand. Moreover, I'm sure you're all aware, policing costs can be a high burden on the club.

I'm sure, in one form or another we support a singing section however, as said above if this is being used as an excuse for unruly behaviour and to intimidate away fans, then those in favour of it need to understand the difference between this and creating an atmosphere. The two are not the same.

I've always maintained the South Stand is the best place to grow a kop/singing section, call it what you like. Creating a good atmosphere in a ground takes much more than this though. 

Why isn't more done then to stop away fans doing the same thing? The way the Barnsley fans were allowed to continually throw things into the home fans without anyone being ejected was disgusting.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on March 12, 2014, 07:13:29 pm by MrFrost »
Also, as a point, the singing section is there the cheap season tickets are being sold for next season, what if they sell or have already sold a large number of season tickets in those blocks to these people? What happens then?

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on March 12, 2014, 07:15:35 pm by knockers »
There was no bother from the lads last night and they also tried to spread the singing by some going top and some bottom of the stand. At one point the stewards moved the lads at the bottom for no reason at all. The section is working, it's quite funny to listen to and it adds to the entertainment. Keep it up and if I were you I'd all buy season tickets in that area as there are enough left and the club would have to leave you where you are.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:30:51 pm by knockers »

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on March 12, 2014, 07:18:54 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Those kids would be going for handbags at the end of the game anyway. I hope this doesn't stop. It will and we'll carry on letting away fans do what they want as per.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on March 12, 2014, 07:32:24 pm by wesisback »

The meeting will take place on Wednesday 19th March, 5.30pm at the Keepmoat Stadium.  Please attend if you
can.
Is it solely those from the singing section?
I wouldn't mind attending this to find out exactly why tje club are intent on keeping the Keepmoat as quiet as a morgue. A better atmosphere would surely encourage more through the door.

SLO@DRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on March 12, 2014, 07:51:32 pm by SLO@DRFC »

The meeting will take place on Wednesday 19th March, 5.30pm at the Keepmoat Stadium.  Please attend if you
can.
Is it solely those from the singing section?
I wouldn't mind attending this to find out exactly why tje club are intent on keeping the Keepmoat as quiet as a morgue. A better atmosphere would surely encourage more through the door.

Hi,

While the focus of the meeting will be surrounding the singing section and the club mainly want to meet with these fans specificly, any fan who would like to put their view across on this topic are welcome.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on March 12, 2014, 07:58:35 pm by wesisback »
Sums up my feelings exactly Sad.
Ive made my feelings clear on Facebook but feel the club owe it to our fans to give this it's best stab and act sensibly in its approach. It would be fair to describe tje Keepmoats atmosphere as shite at best!
Any section like this will always bring in a certain amount of idiots with it but the club need to manage that and it seemed they were to an extent.
Out of interest what happened to Julie? Where's this Andy fella come from?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012