Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:51:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Singing section  (Read 71641 times)

StickToTheRules_61

• Forum Member
Re: Singing section
« Reply #300 on March 20, 2014, 07:40:00 pm by StickToTheRules_61 »
- It's not open for the Sheff Weds game
- The club had 2 days to decide what to do after trouble (police) that's why the Watford scenario happened.
- Will look into allowing the regulars from that section who had purchase history, into the section for the remainder of the season.
- Will look into having memberships/some sort of I.D for the singing section so trouble makers can be more easily sorted (may stay away if their details are known). Depends whether the police would be happy with that.
- They'd prefer to make the south Stand/sections unreserved for a singing section.

It went around in circles tbh because the same stuff kept getting said by people. 14 people turned up for it, then you had Shaun, the SLO's, Stadium manager etc. in attendance too.

I personally don't think it'll work in the South Stand due South Stand STH's not wanting to move seats, and people not wanting to move from the west to the south. I don't think it'll end up being allowed back in the West North either.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on March 20, 2014, 07:46:07 pm by MrFrost »
Did they mention about people being able to buy season tickets there next season, seeing as its where half the Cat C seats are?

Malc Morling

• VSC Member
singing section Meeting
« Reply #302 on March 20, 2014, 08:56:14 pm by Malc Morling »
Any news from the meeting hope it went well 4 u :scarf:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #303 on March 20, 2014, 09:45:36 pm by bobjimwilly »
there is already a unreserved section in the south stand - you get tickets for it from the cash turnstiles. We've also been told previously that people who want to stand in those seats won't be told to sit down.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #304 on March 20, 2014, 09:50:37 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Well obviously you will as it's down at the bottom. Shame it's not like Old Trafford where all 20,000 behind each goal stand up for 90 minutes.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on March 20, 2014, 09:54:23 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Having said that Palace seem to have developed an unreserved as they refer to it as an 'ultras section' behind the goal but in between the corner flag and the penalty area from the front row upwards. Possibly now the best idea if the club aren't going to allow fans near the away fans. Probably best to do it the west side of the south stand wouldn't want to upset the family image.

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #306 on March 20, 2014, 10:09:11 pm by RJHeader »
there is already a unreserved section in the south stand - you get tickets for it from the cash turnstiles. We've also been told previously that people who want to stand in those seats won't be told to sit down.

Well seen as only the back 4 rows stand up. Its gonna be hard for someone to come along on row K and stand up is it?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #307 on March 20, 2014, 10:13:02 pm by River Don »

I had no idea!

That is a great initiative but they have to let people know about it.

How about a sign, by the entrance of every turnstile promoting it?

Tokyos Boot

• Forum Member
« Reply #308 on March 20, 2014, 11:03:16 pm by Tokyos Boot »
I couldn't attend the meeting tonight, but my brother went and let me know all the gossip...

So the chief concern is in 'costings' now...

I'd be interested to know how our Policing and Stewarding costs stack up against the other teams in this league?

Also, what our 'matchday incidents' stats for trouble are in comparison too.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #309 on March 20, 2014, 11:12:19 pm by Sad-Rovers »
I'm not long back in the house from the meeting.

The club admits that they acted hastily on closing WSG but felt there was little option at such short notice.

Discussions centred around the "youth" element that have been causing the problems and we're hopeful that a solution will be found to reopen that section after the Wednesday game and help to identify the ring leaders so they can get what they so richly deserve.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on March 20, 2014, 11:26:22 pm by RedJ »
I really don't understand how you can compare a club like us to one like Manchester United in terms of supporters...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #311 on March 21, 2014, 12:14:54 am by Filo »
I'm not long back in the house from the meeting.

The club admits that they acted hastily on closing WSG but felt there was little option at such short notice.

Discussions centred around the "youth" element that have been causing the problems and we're hopeful that a solution will be found to reopen that section after the Wednesday game and help to identify the ring leaders so they can get what they so richly deserve.

I'm pleased that you seem to have opened dialogue, I'm sure there's some compromise in there somewhere, I reckon some of you older heads might have to self police the area to a certain extent. There has to be goodwill on both sides for this to work, I had visions of the meeting been hijacked by green street wannabee's that have already decided what the club are doing without having heard them 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #312 on March 21, 2014, 09:13:14 am by silent majority »
So, meetings do work then?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on March 21, 2014, 09:47:52 am by Filo »
It has to be a two way thing between the club and the fans, the club can't be seen to condone a singing section if a few d**kheads want to use it as a platform for trouble

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #314 on March 21, 2014, 09:52:52 am by wing commander »
   I think this is one of those cases were less haste will have longer success..The club could rush something in place for the rest of the season to please the fans but if it goes wrong the costs to both club and fans will be high...In theory its a great idea so both the club and fans can now work together to come up with a system that can be implemented from next season that addresses the issues created and safeguards against them..That way its something that can be sustained and grow with a long term future...

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on March 21, 2014, 10:06:21 am by Padge_DRFC »

« Reply #328 on March 20, 2014, 11:26:22 PM by RedJ »

I really don't understand how you can compare a club like us to one like Manchester United in terms of supporters...

Very true tbf. If only comes to mind.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #316 on March 21, 2014, 10:33:56 am by silent majority »

Nice attempt at a dig.

We shouldn't NEED meetings with the club to arrange a singing section, it SHOULD be fan lead but the actions of a few school kids and, IMO, the clubs overreaction have forced this situation on us.

Neil, not a dig, a fact.

But I would disagree with you with regard to meetings. Every time singing sections (mostly euphemism for standing sections) have been done without the clubs cooperation and understanding they have gone wrong. Clubs have a responsibility, and a legal requirement, to operate within the confines of their safety certificate which is managed by the local SAG. A complete disregard of this leads to all kinds of sanctions against the club and has been documented numerous times.

However where cooperation and participation has been evident then it's worked very well. The examples are numerous. Red Faction at Middlesborough were the whipping boys until they got around the table, same at Sunderland, Cardiff, Leicester, Derby etc etc. and I should know as I was involved.

Sad-Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #317 on March 21, 2014, 10:44:14 am by Sad-Rovers »

Neil, not a dig, a fact.

But I would disagree with you with regard to meetings. Every time singing sections (mostly euphemism for standing sections) have been done without the clubs cooperation and understanding they have gone wrong. Clubs have a responsibility, and a legal requirement, to operate within the confines of their safety certificate which is managed by the local SAG. A complete disregard of this leads to all kinds of sanctions against the club and has been documented numerous times.

However where cooperation and participation has been evident then it's worked very well. The examples are numerous. Red Faction at Middlesbrough were the whipping boys until they got around the table, same at Sunderland, Cardiff, Leicester, Derby etc etc. and I should know as I was involved.

Is it a fact because you say it is?

It shouldn't require meetings and concessions to organise an atmosphere, it should come naturally. Unfortunately some young, daft lads seem to have confused banter and singing with football violence. IMO the club have acted hastily in closing WSH and should have used the tools at their disposal to remove the undesirables, rather than dishing out "collective punishment". They haven't used those tools and now we have a a small degree of animosity between us and them however nothing than can't be resolved.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on March 21, 2014, 11:01:28 am by bpoolrover »
I thought u would back sad rovers on this sm,you have stated numerous times just because of the minority all fans should not be tarred with the same brush

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #319 on March 21, 2014, 11:42:11 am by silent majority »
Bpoolrover,

I am backing him. I have always supported football supporters of all types and my work over the last 12 years or so proves it. However there are always easy ways of going about this, ways that experience has taught us in the fans movement. It's that experience that Neil chooses to ignore. I applaud his efforts, at least he's done something about it, which puts him firmly in the same camp as me rather than the 99% of keyboard warriors whose comments I read on a regular basis.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on March 21, 2014, 11:46:57 am by MrFrost »
Can I ask what was the exact nature of the trouble in that corner that has caused all this?
What was the specific act of violence or behaviour that occured?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #321 on March 21, 2014, 11:49:30 am by silent majority »
It might not have been one particular incident Mr Frost. You may have to ask the Police about that one. Incidentally the Police are present at all SAG meetings so if they wished they could impose any sections they want to on the club with no recall.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on March 21, 2014, 11:51:39 am by MrFrost »
Well the only trouble I've witnessed or even heard about was the Barnsley fans lobbing flares and bottles at us. If that incident is one of the  maybe it's the away blocks in that corner that should be closed? No?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on March 21, 2014, 11:51:53 am by bpoolrover »
Good reply sm thank you

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #324 on March 21, 2014, 12:05:24 pm by silent majority »
Neil, the club need to be involved for all the reasons I've stated above. The club operate with the permission of the local Safety Advisory Group (SAG) who are responsible for the safety of the ground. The club have a representative on that committee, but so do the council, the Police and other authorities. If the Police make representation to the SAG about the club not observing the ground regulations, such as allowing fans to stand, or even SAG observers doing the same thing, then they will act. That leads to all kinds of restrictions, including the closure of certain sections of the ground.

I'm sure the club will have acted in advance to ensure that doesn't happen. Once the SAG start to do things like this then it's very, very hard to get them to retract. Most SAGs up and down the country are draconian in their outlook and don't give a flying fig about football supporters.

At Cardiff for instance they had all the electronic season tickets cancelled so ensuring fans couldn't get in at all. At Sunderland they roped off whole sections of seating and suspended their STs holders or anyone else from occupying those seats.

Atmosphere doesn't need committees or meetings, you're right, but getting the cooperation of the club to bend ground regulations does.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #325 on March 21, 2014, 12:09:12 pm by silent majority »
Well the only trouble I've witnessed or even heard about was the Barnsley fans lobbing flares and bottles at us. If that incident is one of the  maybe it's the away blocks in that corner that should be closed? No?

No. Under FL rules the club have to provide a minimum number of seats for away fans. Why restrict the away fan attendance therefore cutting total attendance numbers when it's simpler to move the home fans? It's not about apportioning blame, and in this instance we ( apparently) had trouble at three games, therefore the common denominator has to be the home fans does it not?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #326 on March 21, 2014, 12:29:57 pm by silent majority »
Neil,

Well in my opinion the club were being naive in expecting that to happen without any reaction from the authorities. As I've said before, experience shows that these sections of ground always have these issues.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #327 on March 21, 2014, 01:12:43 pm by bobjimwilly »

there was trouble at the hudds game, with fans from both sets of supporters in the north west corner leaving the match early at the same time, presumably to fight outside. There was initially maybe 10 or 20 left from each set at first, following be a steady stream a few minutes later, presumably those who wanted to go and watch? And this was against Huddersfield, not exactly our closest rivals.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on March 21, 2014, 01:27:21 pm by bpoolrover »
To be fair the trouble prob would have happened if they were in the south stand,my opinion is it should be given more time,many grounds have away fans next to vocal home fans with very little trouble

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #329 on March 21, 2014, 03:24:54 pm by wing commander »
   Neil,
         Whats done for this season is done,for me its put the issue into quarantine to keep it alive..I can understand why they have done it, the club have to protect themselves and whilst us mortal fans think its a bit OTT the fact remains it is what it is.....You have worked hard to get it this far and the opportunity is there to have a proper system in place from day 1 of next season..thats what people need to concentrate on now..The hard part is done and that's to get everybody to accept that the idea CAN be implemented...Now its a case of the fans and club working together on a set of proposals that both works for the club and the fans and by the sounds that's more than possible...Keep going and hopefully your efforts will be rewarded....

TinyPortal © 2005-2012