Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:44:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Singing section  (Read 71608 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Singing section
« Reply #330 on March 22, 2014, 11:56:28 am by Filo »
I'm not long back in the house from the meeting.

The club admits that they acted hastily on closing WSG but felt there was little option at such short notice.

Discussions centred around the "youth" element that have been causing the problems and we're hopeful that a solution will be found to reopen that section after the Wednesday game and help to identify the ring leaders so they can get what they so richly deserve.

I'm pleased that you seem to have opened dialogue, I'm sure there's some compromise in there somewhere, I reckon some of you older heads might have to self police the area to a certain extent. There has to be goodwill on both sides for this to work, I had visions of the meeting been hijacked by green street wannabee's that have already decided what the club are doing without having heard them

We had dialogue with the club from day 1 Filo, they were supportive but (rightly, IMO) didn't want to be too "hands on" with the promotion of a singing section.

Self policing was a big theme of the meeting but obviously the club don't want to see any sort of vigilantism!

The biggest problem is identifying the troublesome element. CCTV only goes so far, without names it's difficult for the club to act however GB confirmed they DO monitor Facebook / Twitter so I'm sure after that PATHETIC thread on the FB group the other night they'll be well aware who's who. We're now waiting for the club to confirm, via the SLOs, that they'll reopen WSH for ticket sales providing people provide ID at the point of sale. Not ideal but if it means the club can positively ID these little Kitsons and ban them I'm all for it.

Nothing is ever easy, is it?

That facebook thread lol!

I see one of the self proclaimed DDR hardmen has his Mummy sticking up for him, how embarrassing!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

KieronDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #331 on March 22, 2014, 06:14:46 pm by KieronDRFC »
Awful atmosphere again today and there was still trouble after the game. No wonder 17-22 year olds would rather support leeds or wednesday. Clubs a joke.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #332 on March 22, 2014, 06:57:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
No wonder 17-22 year olds would rather support leeds or wednesday. Clubs a joke.

You cannot be serious. How the hell is the club a joke? Wednesday fans are renowned for being one of the noisiest fans in the league, How much did you here from them in the 2nd half? They had a half hearted chant when Johnstone saved that shot but that was it.

And why was that. They knew they were second best on the pitch. From our perspective, all I saw were people absorbed in the match. That's good enough for me. Seems you're looking for something else. 

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #333 on March 22, 2014, 08:15:53 pm by bobjimwilly »
Awful atmosphere again today and there was still trouble after the game. No wonder 17-22 year olds would rather support leeds or wednesday. Clubs a joke.

Youre probably right, clubs a joke. I think you should go and support Leeds or Wednesday, or Blades or Scunny. I'll follow, promise.

robchester

• Forum Member
« Reply #334 on March 22, 2014, 08:23:00 pm by robchester »
Heard more from the south stand today than i did from the singing section and i sit in the west stand but then its basic physics.  Sound is an energy and dissipates over distance if the wave length increases. you are better in the south stand.  I will post diagrams tomorrow to explain.

KieronDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #335 on March 22, 2014, 08:42:39 pm by KieronDRFC »
As soon as fans try to create any sort of atmosphere ie drum, band, singing section the club squashes it. Thats why the club is a joke and thats why 17-22 year olds will continue to choose leeds/wednesday over us. Its not just wednesday, we get out sung every week. We was 1-0 up against one of out biggest rivals and the home end was like a morgue.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #336 on March 22, 2014, 08:56:57 pm by hoolahoop »

Nonsense Kieron absolute nonsense. If you thought those Wendy fans were noisy then it was all in your imagination.
Consolidate the ''singing section'' idea and it will improve but if you can't wait then run aqway like all those brave 17-22 year olds. I hope you are more grown up than that.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #337 on March 22, 2014, 09:01:20 pm by hoolahoop »
We've won again cue the moaners re.atmosphere, food and drink prices etc etc.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #338 on March 22, 2014, 09:02:50 pm by silent majority »
As soon as fans try to create any sort of atmosphere ie drum, band, singing section the club squashes it. Thats why the club is a joke and thats why 17-22 year olds will continue to choose leeds/wednesday over us. Its not just wednesday, we get out sung every week. We was 1-0 up against one of out biggest rivals and the home end was like a morgue.

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm not) it was the club, and Shaun Lockwood in particular, who introduced the band into the South Stand. So now you claim the club squashes it? How come?

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #339 on March 22, 2014, 09:06:09 pm by RTID75 »
Because the truth is an inconvenience in an otherwise great story?

The Wendies were loud - until our goal went in, then they suddenly felt far less 'massive' and became very meek.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #340 on March 22, 2014, 09:10:25 pm by Dagenham Rover »
They've been meek at our place since 2008 by all accounts    ;)

KieronDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #341 on March 22, 2014, 09:13:13 pm by KieronDRFC »
Consolidate what singing section? They was a lot louder than us. What happened to the band? Im not going to go support any other team its just frustrating when the atmosphere is so poor and any attempt to improve it is ruined by the club. If the singing section created the trouble against Huddersfield and barnsley what was the reason for all the trouble today after the game?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #342 on March 22, 2014, 09:14:20 pm by RedJ »
Away fans are almost always better than home support though most places you go to be fair, especially when they bring that kind of number.

I do agree that it needs sorting though.

KieronDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #343 on March 22, 2014, 09:21:43 pm by KieronDRFC »
We've won again cue the moaners re.atmosphere, food and drink prices etc etc.

On the pitch, i couldnt have asked for anything more in the past two seasons.  :thumbsup:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #344 on March 23, 2014, 10:43:54 am by bobjimwilly »
If the singing section created the trouble against Huddersfield and barnsley what was the reason for all the trouble today after the game?

:facepalm:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #345 on March 23, 2014, 12:23:56 pm by Rios »
Well the only trouble I've witnessed or even heard about was the Barnsley fans lobbing flares and bottles at us. If that incident is one of the  maybe it's the away blocks in that corner that should be closed? No?

there was trouble at the hudds game, with fans from both sets of supporters in the north west corner leaving the match early at the same time, presumably to fight outside. There was initially maybe 10 or 20 left from each set at first, following be a steady stream a few minutes later, presumably those who wanted to go and watch? And this was against Huddersfield, not exactly our closest rivals.

I walked right into the middle of that having left slightly early to catch my train.  It was nothing exciting and considering there were 50 or so Hudds and 20+ Rovers, there were less than half a dozen coppers so if they'd been determined to fight then they'd have got on with it.  Lot's of posturing, nothing more.

There were problems yesterday with people fighting on the grass wasteland next to the Premier Inn though.

Personally I think the club have over-reacted as local derbies are always going to bring out the hard of thinking.  I do think however that putting a "singing section" right next to the away fans was never going to sit well with the police and it was only a matter of time.  Maybe those energies should now be concentrated on the south stand now?  There's plenty of clubs out there who don't need to be right next to the away end to generate an atmosphere and if you keep banging on for a few seasons people will migrate away who dont want to be a part of it and those that do will migrate in.  It won't happen overnight though...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #346 on March 23, 2014, 12:33:50 pm by Filo »
After Yesterdays events, I think the club should review their ticketing policy regarding away fans easily obtaining tickets for the home end. If the club are going to make knee jerk decisions over the singing section in the west stand to try and curb any potential trouble, the least they could do is get their house in order and stop making it easy for away fans buying tickets to the home end at our ticket office, they've already said this week that they monitor social media and forums and there were plenty of warnings that this was happening all week, yet they did nothing about it!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #347 on March 23, 2014, 12:40:45 pm by bpoolrover »
Agree with that filo

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #348 on March 23, 2014, 06:53:33 pm by DonnyRTID »
After Yesterdays events, I think the club should review their ticketing policy regarding away fans easily obtaining tickets for the home end. If the club are going to make knee jerk decisions over the singing section in the west stand to try and curb any potential trouble, the least they could do is get their house in order and stop making it easy for away fans buying tickets to the home end at our ticket office, they've already said this week that they monitor social media and forums and there were plenty of warnings that this was happening all week, yet they did nothing about it!

What can they do to stop it though?

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #349 on March 23, 2014, 06:57:30 pm by Donnybax »
If you buy a ticket for a home game against leeds/weds then you have to buy one for a following home game

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #350 on March 23, 2014, 07:21:23 pm by drfc1951 »
If the 15 or so young kids,aged about 14 to 17 who were sat near us in sw corner,thought they were creating a good atmosphere by swearing for 90 minutes then they were wrong.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #351 on March 23, 2014, 08:25:08 pm by hoolahoop »
If the 15 or so young kids,aged about 14 to 17 who were sat near us in sw corner,thought they were creating a good atmosphere by swearing for 90 minutes then they were wrong.

Strange sat right in the middle of SW and didn't hear them. Mind I was listening out for sounds coming from the hordes in the away end...........didn't hear them after 30 minutes either ;)

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #352 on March 23, 2014, 08:45:50 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I sit level with the 18 yard line at the south end west stand and haven't once heard the singing section.  And talk of poor acoustics at the Keepmoat is just total bollox.  I hear home and away support singing every match from behind each goal.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #353 on March 23, 2014, 08:56:32 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Weren't they all too busy sprinting down to the other end of the South Stand every 5 mins?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #354 on March 24, 2014, 01:39:01 pm by wing commander »
    The trouble that happened yesterday was mainly due to both sets of fans been let out at the same time, going the same way..When we are away in local games they keep us in for 15 minutes at the end to let the crowd disperse...Some just posture for effect like the youths who waited till the Wednesday boys who were thrown out were halfway down the stand before jumping out there seat and going after them knowing full well they wouldn't get near them...Although one or two seemed to be getting stick from our own fans when they skulked off back to their seats...As for the trouble in the wasteland whilst im not saying our fans are blameless,they wendy lads were all bladdered and looking for it.....

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #355 on March 24, 2014, 01:57:01 pm by MrFrost »
    The trouble that happened yesterday was mainly due to both sets of fans been let out at the same time, going the same way..When we are away in local games they keep us in for 15 minutes at the end to let the crowd disperse...Some just posture for effect like the youths who waited till the Wednesday boys who were thrown out were halfway down the stand before jumping out there seat and going after them knowing full well they wouldn't get near them...Although one or two seemed to be getting stick from our own fans when they skulked off back to their seats...As for the trouble in the wasteland whilst im not saying our fans are blameless,they wendy lads were all bladdered and looking for it.....

I've not known our fans being kept behind after a game for a very long time.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #356 on March 24, 2014, 02:11:11 pm by wing commander »
   We were at Brentford and im sure we were at Hillsborough...but it would make sence on days like Saturday...

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #357 on March 24, 2014, 02:13:02 pm by MrFrost »
   We were at Brentford and im sure we were at Hillsborough...but it would make sence on days like Saturday...
Wasn't Brentford more of a case of us staying behind out of choice? I left straight away at Hilsborough because I needed to be back quickly.
I'm sure I read somewhere keeping fans back after a game had been stopped some time ago.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #358 on March 24, 2014, 02:27:35 pm by Jenny »

We definitely weren't held back at Hillsborough.

I can't recall us being kept back for a long time, in fact one of the last times I can recall was when we were held back at Nuneaton in the Conference. If I remember rightly it was to do with intelligence that a bus load of Donny Whites was in the area looking for trouble?

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #359 on March 24, 2014, 02:29:26 pm by Rios »
Wasn't Brentford more of a case of us staying behind out of choice? I left straight away at Hilsborough because I needed to be back quickly.
I'm sure I read somewhere keeping fans back after a game had been stopped some time ago.

We were kept back for a good fifteen minutes whilst the Police cleared the area at Brentford (we were near the turnstiles as we also thought a quick getaway was in order to catch the train home), although some fans wouldn't have noticed as the alleyway at Brentford acted as a bottleneck meaning they had to stay in the stand.  I'm surprised we don't keep away fans in for five minutes, especially with a lot of fans on foot walking the same way back to town or to the buses.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012