Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:47:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Dons today  (Read 18554 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Dons today
« Reply #30 on February 17, 2014, 04:19:47 pm by roversdude »
Quite a few of Dons trained at same gym as me and miraculously changed physique at that time

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on February 17, 2014, 04:22:34 pm by Filo »
I thought occurred to me the other day as I was passing Tattersfield, the Dons still have a board on that site advertising their next home game. Now the Dons are owned by Rovers I wonder if any one at the club has thought about utilising that board to also advertise Rovers next home games?

Filo don't often go through Bentley but had to last week and thought exactly the same
Maybe worth a bit of advertising at each junction to Doncaster from A1 M18 etc

The thing is, the board is already there, if there's a cost to the board, that must already be in place, so there would be no extra cost to the club at all. It's free adverising space going begging

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 17, 2014, 04:42:05 pm by the vicar »
Do you get discount if your a rovers season ticket holder
I think they are doing something for them but at £10 is a very good price anyway

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on February 17, 2014, 08:55:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I played in the same side. It was the old Barker and Wigfalls team. I think it had changed to the Castle at that point but could be wrong. I remember playing out at South Elmsall against a team called Tank FC in the Sheffield cup. They took a dislike to Jamie. Interesting game that. Not much ball kicking went on!
Like you said, nice guy and he also went out with my mates sister.

That game will stay in my memory for a very long time !!

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 18, 2014, 06:36:47 pm by The Beast »
I remember playing against the Castle with Jamie Bloem in the net for my local the Ridgewood. I was a scrawny 17 year old at the time and a bit in awe to be playing against one of my sporting heroes. Midway through the second half I got put clean through, as I closed in on goal Bloem came charging off his line like a wild Rhino, I knocked the ball past him and he totally cleaned me out. The referee pointed to the spot and Bloem stood over me, steam coming out of his nostrils, accusing me of being a 'diving #@#~%'. Diving??? I'd never been hit so hard in all my life! Needless to say I never gave him any lip back. I managed to pick myself off the floor and Nick Cotton put away the penalty. Luckily Bloem had calmed down by the time the referee blew up for fulltime and had a good crack with us all after the match.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:50:32 pm by The Beast »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 19, 2014, 12:36:26 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I remember playing against the Castle with Jamie Bloem in the net for my local the Ridgewood. I was a scrawny 17 year old at the time and a bit in awe to be playing against one of my sporting heroes. Midway through the second half I got put clean through, as I closed in on goal Bloem came charging off his line like a wild Rhino, I knocked the ball past him and he totally cleaned me out. The referee pointed to the spot and Bloem stood over me, steam coming out of his nostrils, accusing me of being a 'diving #@#~%'. Diving??? I'd never been hit so hard in all my life! Needless to say I never gave him any lip back. I managed to pick myself off the floor and Nick Cotton put away the penalty. Luckily Bloem had calmed down by the time the referee blew up for fulltime and had a good crack with us all after the match.

I Hope ''Nick Cotton'' wasn't bothering his ma for a fiver again :coat:

vietaff

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on February 19, 2014, 03:54:22 pm by vietaff »
I see the ref was one Jamie Bloem. Isn't he the former Dons player?

He was a beast and in hindsight if he hadnt been on anabolic steroids he would have played for one of the top teams. I can remember the dons season the the Super League, it was fantastic for so e great performances and some drubbings, the first game away at Knowsley Road where they beat the then Champs St Helens.....they beat Hull at home about 44-38 it was a brilliant game. They had some great players such as Jamie, Vila Matutatai, Sonny Whakaru, Alex Green who was about 2 foot tall but skilful and like a whippet and Audley Pennant who ran like he was shagged after 5 mins but was a work horse.
Great memories and even now when I go past the old ground in Bentley I still here the long shout from the crowd.....Cooooooooome oooooooon yooooooooooooou doooooooooooons.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 19, 2014, 09:44:20 pm by BobG »
Some good names there Vietaff. Top of the Super league they were :)

BobG

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 20, 2014, 12:30:53 am by newyankee »
Sorry to tell you BobG, it was Division One, Super League had not come into being then. If it had they would not have been relegated back to Division Two.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on February 20, 2014, 07:50:50 am by RedRover45 »
Yep, at one point, the Dons were actually the top of Division 1 for 44 hours...

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 20, 2014, 07:58:04 am by Al4475 »
If I remember correctly the Rovers were top of the Fourth Tier of football at the same time! I may be wrong though - they may have been up and around the top. I remember reading in the Green 'un something along the lines of.

'Well there's no doubt which town in our area are proudest looking at the league tables this weekend!'

I played a bit of Rugby League at Middle School and enjoyed it. We even went and did a 'Bobby Charlton Soccer School' (Yes I know) for Rugby League.

Vicar - I'm sure you were one of the coaches that worked with us at the Booby Charlton School or with the work we were doing at the Dons at Tattersfield!

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 20, 2014, 10:29:16 am by Wild Rover »
Ha!. The only way "The Vicar" would be a coach is if he had all his teeth out and bus seats fitted.  :lol: :) :P Sorry Dave, couldn't resist.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 20, 2014, 11:59:42 am by Al4475 »
This was well over 20 years ago WR

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 20, 2014, 12:12:12 pm by Wild Rover »
Vicar was at his best 40 years ago. Trust me.

colin cramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on February 20, 2014, 05:27:10 pm by colin cramb »
im gonna go alot more this season, think its more than a tenner though?

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on February 21, 2014, 01:17:37 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Couldn't the club do a ticket where if you are a season ticket holder,you get five free games a season,plus the rest of the season at a fiver,The Dons win because they are getting said extra fiver's,that they wouldn't normally get,the extra crowds and income would help the season after this if they were in a position to be good enough to be in the top league,once this season was over,season ticket holders still get 5 free games,plus the amount for the rest of the season goes up to £7.50.

Also if non season ticket holders produce a ticket stub from a Rovers game from the season,they could get 2 free games,and any other game £7.50 going upto a tenner the following season,again extra money for The Dons.

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 21, 2014, 03:32:44 pm by newyankee »
Based on your arguement, Dons season ticket holders should get a similar deal for the Rovers. I can't see many Rovers fans liking that. Anyway, why treat the DONS as a second rate set up, they are now urinating in the same pot.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 22, 2014, 01:52:35 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Based on your arguement, Dons season ticket holders should get a similar deal for the Rovers. I can't see many Rovers fans liking that. Anyway, why treat the DONS as a second rate set up, they are now urinating in the same pot.

Not's not my intention Yankee,just trying to think of ways to bump up The Dons crowds,maybe the offer could go both ways,and try and develop a ''Doncaster'' supporters team spirit :thumbsup:

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 22, 2014, 02:36:55 am by newyankee »
 I was just working on the comments on here about the Dons supposedly ruining the playing surface. If the Rovers were to offer Dons supporters "FREE" tickets to the Rovers, just imagine the outburst on this forum.  I agree with you Sammy, they should work together far more, it could be the blueprint for many more joint ventures in sport in other towns.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 23, 2014, 03:52:55 pm by Metalmicky »
According to the Beeb we are currently beating Keighley 14 : 4 at the Keepoat stadium......

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 23, 2014, 05:05:39 pm by raggytash »
What a terrible attendance 657!!! Thought they got over a thousand at most games??

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on February 23, 2014, 05:09:00 pm by drfc1951 »
Won 30-12 up to 3rd in league now excellent.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 23, 2014, 05:25:54 pm by Muttley »
What a terrible attendance 657!!! Thought they got over a thousand at most games??

Rare that they get over a 1000 to be honest, unless they're playing a well-supported team.

Did you go today?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 23, 2014, 05:29:39 pm by the vicar »
just got back from the game what a win keep it up lads

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on February 23, 2014, 05:52:00 pm by dknward2 »
Home again next week fancy going have to see if i can get me dad to come with

donnyguy61

« Reply #55 on February 23, 2014, 06:14:58 pm by donnyguy61 »
Adult - £13
Concession* - £11
Juniors (5-16) - £3
Under 5's - FREE
Family Ticket - free child ticket available with every adult or concession purchase
* Concessions include seniors and young adults (aged 17-20), disabled fans will pay the price appropriate to their age and will be entitled to claim a free carer.

sf9944

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on February 23, 2014, 07:58:53 pm by sf9944 »
I know most Rovers fans have no interest in the Dons.  However if any of you are curious and have been meaning to give it a go I would recommend going to the Keepmoat next Sunday Dons (3rd) v Dewsbury (2nd).  I reckon it will be a very good game!

I was really impressed with how they played today against a good team.  I reckon the Dons might be going places.  I also noticed today that the Dons shorts have a Rovers badge on.

Believe me if Dons can get into Super League this will bring A LOT of revenue into the club!

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on February 23, 2014, 08:12:16 pm by newyankee »
Good win today for the Dons, could be a great season for them, get behind them, they always put in 100% and get a hell of a lot less per game than the Rovers players.

They may knock six buckets of you know what out of each other, but at the end of the game they are all mates.

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on February 23, 2014, 08:25:10 pm by Milepostuk »
I remember seeing Jamie drag 3 defenders over the line for a try at Tattersfield. I thought there was something superhuman about him then. What a player he was though.

I always have the same memory of him. Wonder if it was the same game!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on February 23, 2014, 08:30:44 pm by the vicar »
Adult - £13
Concession* - £11
Juniors (5-16) - £3
Under 5's - FREE
Family Ticket - free child ticket available with every adult or concession purchase
* Concessions include seniors and young adults (aged 17-20), disabled fans will pay the price appropriate to their age and will be entitled to claim a free carer.
its just what Gavin Baldwin said to me that they was going to do something with Rovers fans but hay 13 quid int bad for quality rugby is it' better than sitting on your ass in the house on a sunday afternoon COME ON YOU DONS
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:36:29 pm by the vicar »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012