Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:16:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Do you trust the police?  (Read 41194 times)

IC1967

• Forum Member
Re: Do you trust the police?
« Reply #120 on March 12, 2014, 01:52:53 pm by IC1967 »
A moment ago this thread had 886 views, and all your posts on it have attracted the grand total of ONE "like".

Go figure the "silent majority" there?

I don't post to be liked. That is a poor indicator of how the silent majority feel. The numbers of views are a far better indicator of what's happening with the silent majority.

I'm sure many more would like to like my posts but fear they will then be vilified by the hard left members of the forum. Anyone with a whiff of a right wing attitude is totally looked down on on this forum. Luckily I am made of stern stuff and can take it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on March 12, 2014, 02:00:02 pm by IDM »
How do you know the folks who have viewed the thread agree with you?

Here again you are drawing a conclusion without logical evidence.  Possibly, the thread readers enjoy seeing your arguments being countered, but then again I am not making any such claims, am I?

I don't claim that the folks agree with me. I reckon a lot of them don't. All I do is point out the counter view when required and hope it makes people think. That is all.

I like the fact that my arguments are countered. It gives me pause for thought before realising I was right all along. It is for others to decide who is right or wrong. I wouldn't be so presumptuous.

"It is my experience though that the silent majority enjoy reading my posts" - OK there is maybe a difference between "enjoy reading" and "agree" but do you actually read what you put?

"It gives me pause for thought before realising I was right all along. It is for others to decide who is right or wrong" - either you are unknowingly contradicting yourself, or are exhibiting arrogance of the highest order, or both? Or misquoting someone like Brian Clough?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on March 12, 2014, 02:03:53 pm by IDM »
A moment ago this thread had 886 views, and all your posts on it have attracted the grand total of ONE "like".

Go figure the "silent majority" there?

I don't post to be liked. That is a poor indicator of how the silent majority feel. The numbers of views are a far better indicator of what's happening with the silent majority.

I'm sure many more would like to like my posts but fear they will then be vilified by the hard left members of the forum. Anyone with a whiff of a right wing attitude is totally looked down on on this forum. Luckily I am made of stern stuff and can take it.

The number of views signifies how many times the thread has been viewed, nothing more, nothing less.  It gives no indication of what the readers think of the posts.

What's all the guff about left wing/right wing?  The only poster bring that up, is YOU!

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on March 12, 2014, 02:04:04 pm by IC1967 »
There is a world of difference between 'enjoy reading' and 'agree'.

I don't think I've contradicted or displayed arrogance myself. You'll have to show me where this has happened. To my knowledge it has never happened.

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on March 12, 2014, 02:04:34 pm by Jenny »
I view the threads normally without contributing to them, but that isn't because I am part of this so called silent majority who you think seems to enjoy them, its more just so I can watch you make a fool out of yourself time and time again.

We aren't 'laughing' with you, we are laughing at you.

I think you've contradicted yourself a bit there Jenny. I think if you're laughing at me then you must be deriving some enjoyment from my participation in the debate. I can live with this.

Deep down though I suspect my views have sometimes given you pause for thought. Just be grateful I am around to counter the hard left view of life prevalent on this forum.

No enjoyment here, I kind of liken it to watching a car crash through your fingers as you don't want to see...

I think you've gone round in circles so many times now and spout the same shite that there really is nothing more to see from your posts.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on March 12, 2014, 02:05:50 pm by IC1967 »
The number of views signifies how many times the thread has been viewed, nothing more, nothing less.  It gives no indication of what the readers thinkof the posts.

Why would people keep reading my posts if they didn't derive some enjoyment from it?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on March 12, 2014, 02:07:39 pm by IDM »
There is a world of difference between 'enjoy reading' and 'agree'.

I don't think I've contradicted or displayed arrogance myself. You'll have to show me where this has happened. To my knowledge it has never happened.

How about here:

It gives me pause for thought before realising I was right all along. It is for others to decide who is right or wrong

If you believe that you realise you were in the right, then how can it be up to others to decide?

Did you really need me to point that out to you, again?  I mean, really?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on March 12, 2014, 02:09:34 pm by IDM »
The number of views signifies how many times the thread has been viewed, nothing more, nothing less.  It gives no indication of what the readers thinkof the posts.

Why would people keep reading my posts if they didn't derive some enjoyment from it?

I wonder!!!!!

Perhaps, just perhaps, they're reading the whole thread out of interest?  Do you ever watch the news, lets say about that recent airliner crash?  You may be interested in that story, but I doubt you get enjoyment from it....

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on March 12, 2014, 02:09:40 pm by IC1967 »
No enjoyment here, I kind of liken it to watching a car crash through your fingers as you don't want to see...

That's what's known as perverse enjoyment but enjoyment all the same. Anyway I'd encourage you to be more of a poster than a reader. We could do with a bit more of a female perspective around here. I promise to not be as pugnacious with you as I am with some of the other posters if that reassures you.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on March 12, 2014, 02:13:30 pm by IDM »
We could do with a bit more of a female perspective around here. I promise to not be as pugnacious with you as I am with some of the other posters if that reassures you.

Do you realise how arrogant and condescending that sounds?

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on March 12, 2014, 02:14:32 pm by IC1967 »
How about here:

It gives me pause for thought before realising I was right all along. It is for others to decide who is right or wrong

If you believe that you realise you were in the right, then how can it be up to others to decide?

Just because I decide I'm right doesn't mean I expect everyone else to agree I'm right. They can have their own opinion. If others decide I'm wrong I'm still not going to change my mind if I think I was right all along anyway.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on March 12, 2014, 02:16:31 pm by IC1967 »

I think it sounds very gentlemanly. If I was a woman I too might be a bit scared about going up against me on a very male forum.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on March 12, 2014, 02:20:44 pm by IDM »

Just because I decide I'm right doesn't mean I expect everyone else to agree I'm right. They can have their own opinion. If others decide I'm wrong I'm still not going to change my mind if I think I was right all along anyway.

:facepalm:

I rest my case....

I think it sounds very gentlemanly. If I was a woman I too might be a bit scared about going up against me on a very male forum.

Your user name is IC1967, you could have been a woman for all I know - or care, for that matter.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on March 12, 2014, 02:42:50 pm by jucyberry »
Most people will read the threads that pique their interest, most will not comment.. It doesn't mean they agree, it doesn't mean they disagree, it is more likely that they aren't bothered enough to take the time to comment or that they have no thought either way.

Many people also skim read over those they don't find as .....interesting....

As  you say it is your right to believe what you want, as is it the right of every other poster to again either agree or disagree..

Going round in circles, dismissing people for being 'lefties' when they disagree, using the written word to shout down anyone who you don't agree with isn't particularly appealing. it can also be taken two ways...

1, you really are a pugnacious little man with an over bearing nature, the male version of Roald Dahl's miss Trunchbull...

2, Or secretly you are a man with an inferiority complex that only feels comfortable vocalising on a forum in complete anonymity.

Of course there is a third, you could be a very nice man who just really enjoys pulling the chains of the fellas on here because you know it irritates them like a burr under the saddle of a seaside donkey......

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on March 12, 2014, 02:47:18 pm by IDM »
it irritates them like a burr under the saddle of a seaside donkey......

there's a euphamism in there somewhere ;)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on March 12, 2014, 02:57:10 pm by Filo »
Another untrustworthy policeman

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/news-syp/south-yorkshire-pc-dismissed-following-misconduct-hearing

Hope it was the one that dished out a £100 seatbelt fine to me!

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on March 12, 2014, 03:05:21 pm by IC1967 »
There is part of the problem. If you do anything wrong as a police officer then there are serous ramifications. Joe public would not as a general rule be sacked from their job for this misdemeanor. Sometimes it is the fear of being sacked that makes the police 'cover' up things.

It's time the punishment fitted the crime and sanctions on the police were similar to what the general public experiences.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on March 12, 2014, 03:08:06 pm by IC1967 »
Thank you Jucyberry for your contribution. It's nice to hear from one of our female forum users. Maybe you could try and encourage Jenny to get more involved. You talk a lot of sense and display great intuition.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on March 12, 2014, 03:15:17 pm by Filo »
There is part of the problem. If you do anything wrong as a police officer then there are serous ramifications. Joe public would not as a general rule be sacked from their job for this misdemeanor. Sometimes it is the fear of being sacked that makes the police 'cover' up things.

It's time the punishment fitted the crime and sanctions on the police were similar to what the general public experiences.

If a professional driver gets convicted of Drink Driving he loses his job,  why should a Traffic Officer be any different? He needs to drive in his job, it's his stupid fault!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on March 12, 2014, 03:16:53 pm by IDM »

If I got a drink driving conviction I would potentially face the sack, even though driving is not my primary job. Anyone who is a driver would almost certainly be sacked, unless they were self employed.   And in the case quoted by Filo, this is a traffic policeman - there is a higher expectation therefore for he/she to act within the law particularly related to driving offences.  I would contend that the punishment does fit the crime.

And to relate this to the thread theme, how could you "trust" a traffic policeman/woman to do their job properly if they had a non-expired drink driving conviciton?

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on March 12, 2014, 03:19:50 pm by IC1967 »
He could have been given a role that didn't require him to drive for the duration of his ban. If I got a drink driving ban then I could always get to work somehow without driving. I would not automatically lose my job.

Do something wrong as a police officer and you lose your job. This is too harsh a punishment in many cases and leads to a culture of cover up.

Also all you that don't trust the police. Who was it that caught him? Yes it was the police! Think about that for a second.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #141 on March 12, 2014, 03:29:34 pm by IDM »
He could have been given a role that didn't require him to drive for the duration of his ban. If I got a drink driving ban then I could always get to work somehow without driving. I would not automatically lose my job.

Do something wrong as a police officer and you lose your job. This is too harsh a punishment in many cases and leads to a culture of cover up.

Also all you that don't trust the police. Who was it that caught him? Yes it was the police! Think about that for a second.

He's a traffic cop, should be whiter than white in relation to driving offences.  He has trust and authority placed in him to apply those laws to other drivers.  He has broken that trust.  As for you, you're lucky if you are in a situation where a driving ban is less of a problem.

I am definitely more likely to trust the police as a whole entity, when cases like this are prosecuted.  If they are not, then I would be more worried.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on March 12, 2014, 03:32:57 pm by Filo »

A traffic cop that can't drive is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on March 12, 2014, 03:36:46 pm by IDM »

A traffic cop that can't drive is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard!

A traffic cop who not only can't drive but who has flouted the very laws he is employed to enact, should be removed from a position of authority.  As other roles within the police will also carry authority, how can he then be trusted to take those other responsibilities?

shaun from thorne

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on March 12, 2014, 03:50:28 pm by shaun from thorne »

Wid Rover

I was a wild miner for many a year
And I spent all my picket money on whiskey and beer
the question was asked do you trust the police force
and the answer I gave was with no remorse

and its no,nay never
no nay never no more
I won’t trust a policeman
No never no more

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on March 12, 2014, 03:52:41 pm by RedJ »
I don't understand how anyone could possibly trust a person to uphold the law when that person has broken the law...

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on March 12, 2014, 03:57:19 pm by IC1967 »
Using your logic there would be no-one left in the police force.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on March 12, 2014, 04:01:07 pm by IDM »

Where has anyone said that every member of the Police force has broken the law?

You question other folk's logic, yet don't post a logical argument yourself?

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on March 12, 2014, 04:02:47 pm by IC1967 »
We have all broken one law or another. It's just that we rarely get caught.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on March 12, 2014, 04:03:24 pm by Filo »

So what you are saying, considering that you stated no one would be left in the Police force, is that every Policeman is dishonest, even though earlier in this thread you stated that not all Policemen are dishonest, make your mind up Mick, do we tar them all with the same brush, or do we not?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012