Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:42:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Calling all exiles  (Read 10110 times)

Rosso Exile Deux

• Forum Member
Re: Calling all exiles
« Reply #90 on March 20, 2014, 02:48:57 pm by Rosso Exile Deux »
Exiled from Rosso rather than to Rosso.  Rarely at KM but do try to do S.Wales and S.West games...although not many of them now :(

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on March 20, 2014, 02:58:41 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Exiled since 1969 - first  5 years at Uni in a strange area where they speak funny in the south-west-ish of the country, followed by 2 years in Germany and 37 years in the Netherlands (they didn't speak too clearly in those two either  :saywhat: ) .

Then in 2013, after retirement, just when it seemed I might move nearer, we have moved to my wife's old stomping ground in Northern Ireland - so still some water to cross.   :headbang:

Rios

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on March 20, 2014, 03:29:03 pm by Rios »
Live on the Salford/Wigan/Bolton border (I know, three shitholes and I couldn't decide which one to live in!)  Mostly come across on the train, but will be giving that a miss and driving due to our opponents on Saturday.

Missed last Tuesday's game due to an accident on the M62.  I really have taken a dislike to midweek games since moving away from Donny, I used to love them under the lights at Belle Vue.  Now they're just a pain in the arse to get to, away from and being shattered the next day at work.

ch-ch rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on March 20, 2014, 06:00:41 pm by ch-ch rover »
Red Rover 45 i met Nick the tightest man in Britain at the second cricket test here in NZ in Wellington last march had along chat with him both in our rovers shirts i also met 5 others from Donny

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on March 20, 2014, 08:46:31 pm by Plumbster »
I live just north of Hexham, STH and get to about 30 games a season. Always travel by train if poss- the drive to Yeovil and back the other week wasn't much fun.  Love going home and away but one thing that would make life easier is the train times after home games, especially midweek.  At the moment it's impossible to get back into Newcastle before midnight on a Tuesday night without leaving half way through the second half.  Don't suppose there is a lot we can do about that.  Swift exit from car park would also be good.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on March 20, 2014, 08:52:21 pm by 1879Rovers »
I usually stick around for 30 minutes after a game. Often good to stay and applaud the players off and not feel in a rush to get away. Usually have a browse in the club shop before setting off back home. Probably costs me 10 minutes overall.

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on March 20, 2014, 09:09:55 pm by philsky »
Hi BJW how about free transport up and down the A1?

As long as Philsky can't cadge a lift  :lol:

See U saturday Johnski

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on March 20, 2014, 09:21:49 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Hi BJW how about free transport up and down the A1?

As long as Philsky can't cadge a lift  :lol:

See U saturday Johnski

:P Naaaahhhhhh  tbh Phil I'm working and can't get out of it, however on your recent record I think we might just allow you   :thumbsup:

Now keep it up or else the barricades come back   :rolleyes:

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on March 20, 2014, 09:26:46 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Yet another Rovers fan living in Wiltshire!

Sad to say though, after 62 years of being involved in football as a player (Branton United and crap!), Rovers fan (always will be) administrator and referee, (average!), my love affair with the game seems sadly to be coming to an end. The cheating, gamesmanship, and lack of integrity on the pitch, coupled with the idiots who run the game and those owners, especially those in the Premier League,  who don't give a stuff about the fans but only themselves, is taking its toll. Just can't be bothered any more. Very sad!

Please, somebody, convince me that it's just the male menopause!  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:29:02 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on March 20, 2014, 09:48:21 pm by bobjimwilly »
I know a few *ahem* older fans feel the same way Wiltshire; I wouldn't be surprise if its from the same generation where we've "lost" some season ticket holders. My dad has been watching the Rovers for 40 years, and he nearly packed it in last season.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on March 20, 2014, 10:46:38 pm by hamiltonrover »
Just short of a 500 mile round trip for me, living in a tiny village near Hamilton/Motherwell. Get to about a dozen games a season. Coincidentally our upturn in fortunes coincided with my move up here, I pretty much went to every game home & away between 1988-2003 when we were really shite, since my move up to Scotland in 2003 things have improved massively, which is a bit frustrating, but pleasing !

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on March 20, 2014, 11:05:59 pm by River Don »
The issue with getting away from the stadium quickly at the end of the game is really an opportunity for the club.

GIVE PEOPLE A REASON TO  STAY LONGER!

Keep the food outlets open and sell food and drink cheaper at full-time. Allow supporters up into the lounges to meet players and watch the results come in.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on March 20, 2014, 11:23:57 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
On that point, it is noticeable that more people seem to be coming in to the Belle Vue bar after the game for a relaxing pint to avoid the traffic, chat about the game and watch the other results coming in/see the league tables etc.

May be we can persuade the powers that be to send in a couple of players to mingle with us 'normal' folk after the game. Keep it more informal than the post match events in the Premier lounge.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on March 20, 2014, 11:28:24 pm by RedJ »
Allow supporters up into the lounges to meet players and watch the results come in.

I can't see it happening, but that'd be a great idea. Especially for dads taking a son or the like.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on March 20, 2014, 11:32:57 pm by RobTheRover »
Just short of a 500 mile round trip for me, living in a tiny village near Hamilton/Motherwell. Get to about a dozen games a season. Coincidentally our upturn in fortunes coincided with my move up here, I pretty much went to every game home & away between 1988-2003 when we were really shite, since my move up to Scotland in 2003 things have improved massively, which is a bit frustrating, but pleasing !

I think we've found the new Philsky , guys.  Who has the barbed wire and landmines?

;-)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on March 20, 2014, 11:44:26 pm by River Don »
Allow supporters up into the lounges to meet players and watch the results come in.

I can't see it happening, but that'd be a great idea. Especially for dads taking a son or the like.

Why not, there are plenty of Premier club members who don't hang around at the end of a game, I can't imagine the lounge would be overwhelmed by fans wanting to stay behind. How many wait at the players exit at the end of a game?

Or does it come down to we don't want their sort in our lounge? I don't think that sort of attitude is what Doncaster Rovers stands for.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:02:02 am by River Don »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on March 21, 2014, 12:02:37 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
RD, yeah, but why not have one or two players come in to the Belle Vue Bar. The home changing room is about 10 yards further down the corridor!
Could do a bit of both.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on March 21, 2014, 12:05:44 am by River Don »
RD, yeah, but why not have one or two players come in to the Belle Vue Bar. The home changing room is about 10 yards further down the corridor!
Could do a bit of both.

I agree completely.

We're a community club and the players should be expected to interact regularly with the community.

Opportunities for that kind of access would be another reason to support the club. AND it would be of benefit to the players too, to hear the opinions of supporters and to have access to the people who are paying for their wages. We are their fans after all.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:26:17 am by River Don »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on March 21, 2014, 05:55:31 am by idler »
I'm sure that if Colin Douglas was still playing for us it would be hard to keep him out of the bar.
Even during a game. :lol:

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on March 21, 2014, 07:05:22 am by southwestexile »
I took a couple of Norwegians up to Villa Park for the cup game a few years ago. First footy match for one of them, and probably the last. The other guy now follows the mighty Donny, albeit after checking out the scouse Reds. They were stuck between villa with the creakily tall Norwegian striker and the obvious viking connection to us. History won in the end

TinyPortal © 2005-2012