Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 08:30:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Who should replace Dickov?  (Read 123079 times)

les@donr

• Forum Member
Re: Who should replace Dickov?
« Reply #120 on May 03, 2014, 09:37:02 pm by les@donr »
The fact that were learning as a club will take us up

We'll be strong as hell in league 1, definitely the team to beat

It will depend on the manager we have in place. Can't see us challenging for promotion if Dickov is still in-charge. He doesn't get the best from his players, plays them out of position and is tactically inept.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on May 03, 2014, 09:37:12 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Thinking back to our short list, one of the hot favourites was Lomas - he did well at Millwall?  Butcher was on there too, interesting that no one else in the championship or league one has snapped him up.

Dickov will take us up next year in second spot. Blades will be champions.

Time for our team to evolve into an attacking force which befits dickovs vision

Lomas was but a very poor interview did for him. Butcher was using us to get a pay rise at Inverness (allegedly!).

My choice would have been Michael Appleton.

And Michael Appleton is so good he's managing who exactly now?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on May 03, 2014, 09:38:15 pm by dickos1 »
I think if those in charge have sense they'll make a change. You can't let a manager fail and then keep him on. He said if they backed him he would succeed - he's failed.

Can't you??
Dean Saunders!! We've heard all these statements before, but he proved all the doubters wrong.
Scroll back two years this forum was full of the same statements just moaning about a different name.
And you were all wrong, I think you'll be wrong again

Dean had half a season and didn't bring a single of his own players in. He had to deal with the French revolution so didn't have the easiest job, plus we looked like we were going down anyway. We still managed to look a threat going forward at times unlike this season. Dickov has had a full season and was backed towards the end of the summer and allowed to bring in Turnbull, Robinson, Wellens and Khumalo then backed further in January with Sharp, Meite and Tamas joining. Only one has had the ability to build his own team and he's failed.

I agree with everything you say, but the point made was you can't keep someone on who has failed.
They've both failed, and I believed Saunders should've been given the chance then and I believe Dickov should now.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on May 03, 2014, 09:39:29 pm by dickos1 »
The fact that were learning as a club will take us up

We'll be strong as hell in league 1, definitely the team to beat

It will depend on the manager we have in place. Can't see us challenging for promotion if Dickov is still in-charge. He doesn't get the best from his players, plays them out of position and is tactically inept.

This post could've been cut and pasted from May 2012, and swapped Saunders with Dickov..

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on May 03, 2014, 09:46:31 pm by Lifelong supporter »
I think its gonna be more a case of who'd want to come here.. The budget wont be great,it never is  especially in league 1. Lets sit back and see who applies.... but the more I think about it, the more i want Dickov to go.

We were in the top 3 or 4 in terms of budget in Lg1 the last time. Where do you get this mis-information from?

SM can you tell us what the board's opinion is currently of Dickov?

I'm sorry I can't. It's not normally a subject I raise with the club, I have my opinion and they have theirs. They see much more of a coach ( and to be honest that's what he is) than any supporter ever does.

Does that mean things have changed since you posted this in January in answer to a similar question?

He's not going anywhere, not unless he chooses to.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on May 03, 2014, 10:11:45 pm by les@donr »
Dickov all season has failed to read the game and make the changes in his tactics to bring Rovers back into the game if losing, or win the game if drawing. We need a manager who tactically astute.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on May 03, 2014, 11:41:05 pm by grayx »
I think its gonna be more a case of who'd want to come here.. The budget wont be great,it never is  especially in league 1. Lets sit back and see who applies.... but the more I think about it, the more i want Dickov to go.

We were in the top 3 or 4 in terms of budget in Lg1 the last time. Where do you get this mis-information from?

If you read my statement again SM, I said the budget wont be "great". I really hope that you're telling me I'm wrong. Doubt it though.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on May 03, 2014, 11:52:49 pm by River Don »

If you read my statement again SM, I said the budget wont be "great". I really hope that you're telling me I'm wrong. Doubt it though.

The budget isn't great in League 1?

We've always done pretty well with this group of owners, in League 1.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on May 03, 2014, 11:55:22 pm by Akinfenwa »
We're one owner down this time though. Don't know what effect that will have.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on May 03, 2014, 11:56:31 pm by River Don »
We're one owner down this time though. Don't know what effect that will have.

Are we?

He was talking positively in the press this week.

VikingRich

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on May 04, 2014, 12:01:35 am by VikingRich »
I saw JR after the game and asked him if he was coming back - his response was "we'll see".

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on May 04, 2014, 12:02:42 am by River Don »
I saw JR after the game and asked him if he was coming back - his response was "we'll see".

Didn't say no then?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on May 04, 2014, 12:22:32 am by BobG »
Oh God....

BobG

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on May 04, 2014, 12:40:19 am by Draytonian III »
Dean Saunders is the same  as Paul Ince ,average player,playing for a good side at the right time. Sky sports love them . Talk the talk,but should never ever manage a league side again. Both to fond the camera and talking about when they played  15years ➕

silvesterp

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on May 04, 2014, 01:00:41 am by silvesterp »
Keep dickov. Lack of depth in squad and injuries as well as awful refereeing got us relegated. Not dickov. 

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on May 04, 2014, 06:25:54 am by mjg »
no one

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on May 04, 2014, 04:34:39 pm by les@donr »
I think there is a misplaced loyalty by the club in keeping Dickov. He did not fulfil what was asked of him, namely keeping Rovers in the Championship, and as a result has cost Rovers  millions of pounds in lost revenues. In any other job he would be fired.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on May 04, 2014, 04:48:54 pm by silent majority »

Well I'm not sure I understand you then. Our budget was very good by lg1 standards last time and I'm expecting the same. TB and DW are very ambitious for DRFC, they just articulate it in a different way. Supporters as old as me realise that this is a golden era for our club, we have owners who are prepared to spend their money on our hobby. Have a look back over the last 50 years and tell me when we ever did this.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on May 04, 2014, 04:53:24 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think there is a misplaced loyalty by the club in keeping Dickov. He did not fulfil what was asked of him, namely keeping Rovers in the Championship, and as a result has cost Rovers  millions of pounds in lost revenues. In any other job he would be fired.

Agree with that. But it seems to be the decision they've made. I disagree with it but it's their decision and we get behind it in my opinion. Let's hope Dickov improves and learns. I don't think he's awful but the end to this season has been shocking.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on May 04, 2014, 04:53:47 pm by silent majority »

SM can you tell us what the board's opinion is currently of Dickov?

I'm sorry I can't. It's not normally a subject I raise with the club, I have my opinion and they have theirs. They see much more of a coach ( and to be honest that's what he is) than any supporter ever does.

Does that mean things have changed since you posted this in January in answer to a similar question?

He's not going anywhere, not unless he chooses to.

I don't see your point. In January I was asked a question and I knew the answer to it. I hadn't discussed this in recent weeks therefore I didn't know the answer and stated so.

Anymore digs you want to make at me Lifelong?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on May 04, 2014, 04:58:37 pm by silent majority »
Thinking back to our short list, one of the hot favourites was Lomas - he did well at Millwall?  Butcher was on there too, interesting that no one else in the championship or league one has snapped him up.

Dickov will take us up next year in second spot. Blades will be champions.

Time for our team to evolve into an attacking force which befits dickovs vision

Lomas was but a very poor interview did for him. Butcher was using us to get a pay rise at Inverness (allegedly!).

My choice would have been Michael Appleton.

And Michael Appleton is so good he's managing who exactly now?

His record as a coach is outstanding. He's the one who put together Roy Hodgsons team at WBA, and has continued to coach at various levels for the England national team. He's managed at Portsmouth, Blackburn and Blackpool. But his record as a coach is what made him attractive and realistically that's what we need at Doncaster.

Still analysing my posts Lifelong?

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on May 04, 2014, 05:58:22 pm by les@donr »
Joe Royle, has bags of experience.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on May 04, 2014, 06:00:24 pm by Dare to dream! »
Joe Royle, has bags of experience.

Rather see Jim

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on May 04, 2014, 09:13:38 pm by les@donr »
I think we need someone with the knowledge and experience to get us out of L1, Dickov does not have this experience, he managed Oldham in L1 and didn't do much there. He doesn't fill me with confidence that he knows how to get Rovers out of L1. We need someone of Joe Royle's ilk, who has been there and done it.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on May 04, 2014, 09:50:10 pm by dickos1 »
Joe royle??
U having a laugh?
He hasn't managed for about 20 years he has no knowledge of league 1 now,

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on May 04, 2014, 09:53:19 pm by pib »
Joe royle??
U having a laugh?
He hasn't managed for about 20 years he has no knowledge of league 1 now,

He managed Oldham in 2009.

I agree with you that I wouldn't hire him, but at least offer some accurate information in response if you're going to ridicule somebody's suggestions.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on May 04, 2014, 10:11:17 pm by dickos1 »
Aye he did.
For a month

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on May 04, 2014, 10:19:07 pm by pib »
Aye he did.
For a month

And he managed Ipswich Town for 3 years between '03 and '06.

My maths isn't that strong. Can anybody let me know whether it's been 20 years since 2006?

Also, can you, Dickos, let me know how you got into Joe Royle's brain to assess his knowledge of League One. I wouldn't mind using your services if you have the capability to do that.

GloucesterRover31

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on May 04, 2014, 10:44:38 pm by GloucesterRover31 »
I think the board have made the right decision! But if we did go for someone else paul hurst at Grimsby wouldn't break the bank done a really good job and I hear they play cracking football on the floor attacking football they concede a few but score a few too

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on May 05, 2014, 01:20:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I Think Dickov has strengths as a manager,he in the main identifies the player needed to improve the side,and when they sign most of the players haven't needed a settling in period,he's not afraid to drop the bigger named players in the side,he's always positive in the interviews,you don't hear him moaning and groaning about lack of funds.
He makes the best of what he has,there's no doubt he has an extensive contacts book in the game.
Players who wouldn't normally sign for us have joined probably because he does have respect in the game.
He doesn't show the pressure he's under,because the players always see him irate about something every day i would think.
He has a great strength of producing performances against the top sides.

His weaknesses seem to be not identifying problems in the team set up early enough,and makes changes when it's too late.
I Never thought i'd list this as a negative,he's too positive,always chasing the win,it's cost us staying up this season.
Very early on it was obvious how he set the team up away,wasn't working,he seemed to cotton on about march with a few decent results on the road.

His press interviews though he's always positive,do seem naive at times,stating we would win all our games left,not a good thing to say,though i admired his bravado,and at the time agreed.
One it will have got the opponents backs up,the opposing manager didn't need to rile the team up after that,two complacency set in to our team,i have no doubts about that,even us as fans became little complacent.
He doesn't seem to know how to motivate the side against teams of a similar size.
He seems stick with either 4-3-3 0r 4-4-2 when may be at times they don't suit the players he has at his disposal.

I Will be interested to see if we do better away from home next season,he needs to have learnt from his mistakes this season,or we as a club will go backwards,he seems a little pig headed at times,and continues doing a thing or playing a system that doesn't work.
He's a work in progress,he's at a crossroads this coming season,does he develop as a manager,use what he has learnt this season?
Or does he continue with some of his weaknesses and show he's learnt nothing.

A Lot of the things Paul has done have been good,the team has competed,we have nothing to be embarrassed about,if you looked at the teams as a neutral before we kicked off,our team would have been one who would have been favourite's to go down.
He didn't quite manage it,but just remember he is still the same guy who had us seven points clear of relegation.
He made some major mistakes over the last month,interviews,allowing complacency to creep in,picked the wrong team for quite a few games,plus he had bad fortune with refereeing decisions,injuries that came just at the wrong time.
For the season 6-7 out of ten for me,he needs to correct the errors he made,and continue with the things he has right.
I Would like decisive action on players he wants in,and players he wants to release,and also a pre season where we play difficult games,not too many non league opponents,get the players doing the right things against tough opponents.
Build a squad where everybody is all together.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:24:17 am by Sammy Chung was King »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012