Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 10:16:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Who should replace Dickov?  (Read 123047 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Who should replace Dickov?
« Reply #570 on October 07, 2015, 09:49:51 pm by Jonathan »
The level of negativity is soul destroying. If we're not moaning about what happened last night, we're moaning about what happened last week, month, year, sometimes what happened 5 years ago. And if we're not criticising what's gone before, we're finding fault with what's going to happen, what might happen or could happen. Of course I don't expect people to be happy with everything, it just feels like there's barely any positivity about anything sometimes. We've just beaten one of our local rivals, we're still in the third tier with reason to look up, and we're meant to be heading towards a new era that we can't seem to stop complaining about before it's even begun!

As for these godforsaken win ratios. There are so many other factors to take into account. Budgets, cultures, resources, opposition. They're indicative of some qualities but by no means definitive, and I'm sick to death of them!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:03:51 pm by Jonathan »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #571 on October 07, 2015, 11:36:01 pm by dickos1 »
Looking forward to our new high calibre manager. The Board's word not mine.

Said as if you're just desperate to be disappointed by it. A strange approach, really.

Disagree, I have said either on this thread or elsewhere that I do believe the Board when they say they are seeking a high calibre new manager. I have also said it could be someone who none of us had either named or considered for the manager's post.

Regarding match stats, how can a manager be judged if his on field performance isn't taken into consideration, it was the reason why Dickov lost his job, and will be a key reason for the next appointment.

Judged on on field performances isn't the same as judged on match stats, I couldn't care less how many corners we have or shots in target, or how much possession we have, it's irrelevant if you're winning.
As for the moaning yorkie, you can't have been on this forum when we won the league , the moaning was just as bad that season as it is now

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #572 on October 07, 2015, 11:54:49 pm by RoversAlias »
As for these godforsaken win ratios. There are so many other factors to take into account. Budgets, cultures, resources, opposition. They're indicative of some qualities but by no means definitive, and I'm sick to death of them!

I have nothing to say on the rest of the discussion about negativity and all that, but I must say this is SO true. I've rolled my eyes every time I've seen someone either play up or deride a managerial candidate by pointing out their 'win ratio'. It is so irrelevant...someone who managed a team to a top 6 finish three years running but never got promoted will have a good win ratio, but maybe from that job is not well regarded. Likewise, somebody managing a low budget relegation battler will have a crap win ratio even if he did really well and kept them up three seasons running against the odds. Such percentages count for very little in real terms.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #573 on October 07, 2015, 11:59:19 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Has anybody mentioned Paul Ince, Not particularly the manager who i would go for, But without a job at the minute. ''The Best Coach in the World'', is also available John Carver!.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #574 on October 08, 2015, 12:39:55 am by les@donr »
Has anybody mentioned Paul Ince, Not particularly the manager who i would go for, But without a job at the minute. ''The Best Coach in the World'', is also available John Carver!.

Sammy, maybe there is a reason why Paul Ince isn't in a job.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #575 on October 08, 2015, 01:04:41 am by les@donr »
Danny Wilson only needs to manage us and Rotherham to have a full house of managing SY teams.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #576 on October 08, 2015, 07:54:03 am by LincsRover »

I wouldn't mind carver - thought he did ok at Newcastle keeping them up and look at them now under the ex-England manager, but Ince? I would put him alongside Lee Clark as a f*ck*ng useless liability with an ego far bigger than his talent and unemployable as s manager!

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #577 on October 08, 2015, 12:48:11 pm by les@donr »
No to Ince, No to Clark, Yes to a manager with proven experience who turn around our sinking ship.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #578 on October 08, 2015, 01:05:45 pm by dickos1 »
If you're only looking for experience then Ince and Clark fit the bill

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #579 on October 08, 2015, 01:39:04 pm by RoversAlias »

I wouldn't mind carver - thought he did ok at Newcastle keeping them up and look at them now under the ex-England manager, but Ince? I would put him alongside Lee Clark as a f*ck*ng useless liability with an ego far bigger than his talent and unemployable as s manager!

Did well to keep them up? Carver was deluded and his record as Newcastle manager is woeful. He didn't do well to keep them up at all, in fact it was quite an achievement to come as close to getting relegated as they did.

Ince is tosh as well, has he ever truly succeeded in a managerial position? It only ever seemed to click for him at League 2 level, anything above that and it didn't go well at all.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #580 on October 08, 2015, 05:33:44 pm by les@donr »
I wonder if the manager appointment is taking so long because our first choice said No, and maybe the second choice did so as well. We might be looking for not a high calibre manager, but one that will do for now.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #581 on October 08, 2015, 10:38:28 pm by les@donr »
bump

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #582 on October 09, 2015, 05:52:34 pm by les@donr »
It won't be Redfearn, now the Millers manager.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #583 on October 09, 2015, 06:03:06 pm by Al4475 »
Mentioned on another thread but the more I think about it the more it becomes possible! Maybe we have shortlisted a couple or three guys who have applied but due to commitments with clubs (am assuming here they are not out of work) could only do interviews in this current international break!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:52:51 am by Al4475 »

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #584 on October 09, 2015, 06:39:24 pm by bedale rover »
Mentioned on another thread but the more I think about it the more it becomed possible! Maybe we have shortlisted a couple or three guys who have applied but due to commitments with clubs (am assuming here they are not out of work) could only do interviews in this current international break!
I think they have their man (men) but are crossing the t's
And dotting the  i's
Otherwise why announce that they will be in situ by next week?

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #585 on October 09, 2015, 10:59:43 pm by les@donr »
Or a short list of 2 or 3 names to be re-interviewed this coming week.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #586 on October 10, 2015, 09:56:58 am by IDM »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #587 on October 10, 2015, 10:36:47 am by steve@dcfd »

Will the big weight be worth waiting for?

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #588 on October 10, 2015, 07:14:47 pm by les@donr »

Slim down version of our new manager perhaps? Steve Evans has been quoted in the Star, that he is ready for his new challenge, could it be Rovers?

Gary Megson

« Reply #589 on October 10, 2015, 11:40:35 pm by Gary Megson »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #590 on October 11, 2015, 09:52:08 am by RedJ »
That is truly disturbing.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #591 on October 11, 2015, 10:14:57 am by grayx »
If you're only looking for experience then Ince and Clark fit the bill

Experience of being losers? No thanks.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #592 on October 11, 2015, 11:30:46 am by dickos1 »
Both have had success and failure, same as every manager going

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #593 on October 11, 2015, 11:33:03 am by Jonathan »
Both have had success and failure, same as every manager going

This is true. The only manager we could ever appoint that hasn't had a spell judged as 'failure' will be a manager that's not yet had a job.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #594 on October 11, 2015, 12:59:12 pm by Colin C No.3 »
This thread is dripping with banality.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #595 on October 11, 2015, 01:34:14 pm by Copps is Magic »
What happened to Nigel Clough?

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #596 on October 11, 2015, 08:36:35 pm by les@donr »
What happened to Nigel Clough?

The only success he has had is at Burton. Another Daddy's aka Ferguson jr.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #597 on October 14, 2015, 05:04:47 pm by les@donr »
Danny Wilson only needs to manage us and Rotherham to have a full house of managing SY teams.

I wrote this in jest. But looks as if my comments might have more truth about them. We shall see tomorrow.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #598 on October 14, 2015, 11:44:41 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Wilson had a sky high opinion of him as a manager when he got Barnsley to the premier league. But apart from the odd exception every club he has gone to since, his reputation has got lower and lower.
If we got him, we would be getting 'Yesterday's man'!. Steve Round another one not considered, but he is said to be joining Allardyce at Sunderland.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:01:05 am by Sammy Chung was King »

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #599 on October 15, 2015, 04:04:27 pm by les@donr »
Didn't do much at either of the Sheff clubs.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012