Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:00:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Anyone Else Feeling Depressed?  (Read 2623 times)

BigH

• VSC Member
Anyone Else Feeling Depressed?
« on May 05, 2014, 10:45:27 am by BigH »
I thought we had enough in the tank to do it, just. And we only needed a low points tally to make it happen. And Bolton were winning 2-0 with 15 minutes left against a really poor Birmingham side. And we were holding out at nil-nil.

And now reality bites. We were never good enough were we. We had delusional moments, like the first half dozen or so games. Like the purple patch in March. But in the end we were one of the three worst teams in the division. The truth hurts but we were that bad.

I could handle it better if we'd been really crap all year and been relegated two or three weeks ago. Like Yeovil who knew they had it coming to them all season. Or like the season before last when we were a joke and knew what would happen playing with a squad of misfits, mavericks and shirkers.

PD, redeem the sen. Next season make us play with a verve and belief that produces goals and sees teams off. Give us options that avoid over-relying on single individuals. Give us fit players and consistent, winning line ups. Give us victories away; lots of them. And prove your class by avoiding last day 'must do' scenarios.

Or at least give us free valium with every season ticket.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

boro_rover

• Forum Member
Re: Anyone Else Feeling Depressed?
« Reply #1 on May 05, 2014, 10:49:55 am by boro_rover »
I'm over it now to be honest. I was pissed off on Saturday I didn't speak to anyone and once Manish came on the tv towards the end of MOTD, I felt sick, turned the tele off and went to bed.

I woke up on Sunday thinking I expected us to struggle and I was still disappointed, but I sucked it up and cracked on. That's football isn't it? We have had the rub of the green in all I the massive games for this club in the past ten years but this one, we were about due a fall. On to league one and back aboard the roller coaster that is DRFC.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 05, 2014, 10:50:30 am by GazLaz »
My mrs said to me yesterday after a blazing row "why are you being so mardy" to which I replied "why do you think? We've just been relegated!" "But that was yesterday" she said.

They just don't get it do they.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 05, 2014, 10:56:11 am by since-1969 »
After the tragic news of loosing one of our own, league 1 is just the ticket as we need to put some pride and meaning back after a such poor season with a terrible ending. Onwards and upwards !!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 05, 2014, 10:57:18 am by Filo »
Shit happens, I've seen the most part of my Rovers supporting life struggling in the bottom tier, we're still riding the wave as far as I'm concerned, disappointed, yes, depressed, not one little bit! A man lost his life suddenly watching a game of football, you are still here, what on earth have you got to feel depressed about?

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 05, 2014, 12:07:57 pm by ridgewoodrover »
when I  started my love affair with the rovers if  we didn't have to apply for re-election it  was a good season. we are now a yoyo club into the 5th or 6th biggest league in the world, depressed yes peed off yes. still have to pinch mi sen sometimes how far we've come. rip ray dunning all our thoughts are with the family at  this awful time.   

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 05, 2014, 12:17:27 pm by Sprotyrover »
The year I started supporting Rovers we were in the bottom 2 looking at applying for re election, we sacked Maurice Setters and set on Stan Anderson and won 5 in a row.its been a long and tumbling ride since then, the only thing I get depressed about is the apathy in the town towards Rovers.
Having said that I will be well chuffed if we can average 7 k  in the home end next season and I think we will  :rtid:

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 05, 2014, 12:28:31 pm by BigH »
That's more like it brothers. Feeling better already. Play it right and we will have a hell of a side in L1. Think Brentford and how they overcame their depression at the end of last season to turn it around this time.

I think we're all sorry for the Dunning family's loss. Terrible, terrible, but if it could galvanise the club and fans into doing something great next season wouldn't that be a fitting tribute to the man.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:37:38 pm by BigH »

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 05, 2014, 12:31:00 pm by gillinghamrover »
Pissed of on Saturday, seconds from staying up, however on reflection, it'll be better next season. Winning more games, no longer been the minnow in a big pond, we're now sort of a medium size carp!

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 05, 2014, 12:58:00 pm by pib »
I got over it surprisingly quickly on Saturday. Maybe it'd have been worse if I'd gone to the game, but sat at home listening to in unfold, it was no surprise when Birmingham got their equaliser. They had been throwing the kitchen sink at Bolton all game, and were a bit unfortunate on the balance of play to be 2 down.

Plus, I'd been sort of expecting relegation for quite a few weeks beforehand. When we lost the two consecutive home games against Birmingham and Bolton, I was struggling to see where another win was coming from out of the remaining fixtures, so I kind of saw the writing on the wall.

And I don't mind so much being in League One. I think it's a level we're quite well suited to at the moment, and I have absolutely no qualms swapping Pride Park and the Riverside for Boundary Park and (potentially) Bootham Crescent. It's nice to be mixing it with big sides, but I've always enjoyed visits to these more 'characterful' grounds. The number of local derbies we're set to potentially have is also perking me up quite a bit.

I remember when Dave Syers joined us 2 years ago, and he said that Rovers was an "unbelievable club." Considering he'd been at Bradford, which is a pretty big side at lower league level, I thought it was testament to what a desirable club we've become for aspiring players to join. It gives me confidence that while we're at this level, Rovers have a good chance of snapping up decent players that our rivals may be after as well.

So after all this, by the time I was having my tea on Saturday night, I was already starting to feel a lot better after a few hours of sulking and not saying much. I care a hell of a lot about Rovers, and it always hurts to see us get relegated, but it's not all that bad.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 05, 2014, 01:08:07 pm by dknward2 »
I was very pissed off on saturday but on Sunday i had calmed down and with the other news thought its not the worst thing in the world.
Positives
no sky moving games
no stupid international break
Back in a cup that we can win jpt (but maybe get knocked out and stay on the league)
No idiot Leeds fans
We could be classed as a big club 1st time ever
Close the north for most games and save money

Any more anyone

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 05, 2014, 01:15:06 pm by ravenrover »
Players come players go, managers come managers go, the one constant is 11 players in red and white starting 1st week in August. Get the holidays out the way and back to the KM, it'll come quicker than you think. Roll on!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: (No subject)
« Reply #12 on May 05, 2014, 01:22:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not a bit depressed. As highlighted at the weekend, lifes too short to fester on things. There's another season ahead after a nice break. Enjoy the summer everyone!

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 05, 2014, 02:11:45 pm by andysly »
Strangely I've felt more pissed off at some of our other defeats than Saturday.
Stevenage in cup, Birmingham at home and Reading at home are 3 which spring to mind.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 05, 2014, 02:13:49 pm by Dare to dream! »
It's hit me today just how close we actually were to staying up

Lipsy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 05, 2014, 02:14:47 pm by Lipsy »
My friends organised a semi-surprise (it would have been a surprise if I hadn't twigged what was going on) stag do for me on Friday night, so I watched/followed the game wrapped in the cotton wool fog of an almighty hangover. In hindsight, it's the way to watch cruel events unfold.

When the whistle went, I crawled back to bed. Tbh, I feared the worst some time ago when other teams seemed to at least try to dig themselves out of their respective plights and we seemed unable to pick up that point we needed.

It is what it is. I do at least think that the squad and manager will be stronger because of this season - we've chucked everything at PD and the squad - even without [insert your own choice of 'shite/injuries/boardroom farce/inexperienced manager/relatively small budget' here] it would have been a pretty big ask to stay up, so I think we've done very well to have been 2 minutes away from survival.

Have to say that I'm not entirely convinced we'll come straight back up though, but we'll almost certainly win a few more games this season and - hopefully - there'll be a lot less drama this time around. Much as I do believe that at some point in the future we'll be back in Championship (and stay there), I actually enjoyed our last spell in League One (partially because the season before it was so utterly woeful). I just hope that we build properly this time and win promotion with a team that's more than good enough to sustain Championship football the season after.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 05, 2014, 03:21:20 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Not at all, I'm very much enjoying the ride! That was a disappointing relegation, a dip on the rollercoaster, but not as painful as far as relegations can go.

Stepping back, we've had a glorious decade and a bit. Yo yo status is inevitable and after this season we are stronger as a club and as a team than we have ever been. We've survived a terrible relegation in 2011/12 and an inevitable boardroom shuffle. We know what our potential support is in the different leagues - planning can be done on a more solid basis. AND we have a very strong core squad already.

We will possibly lose a couple of players but I expect the squad building to continue. We might or might not go up next season, but next time we go up I believe we will be stronger than ever before.

Looking good to me  :scarf:

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 05, 2014, 03:29:25 pm by IDM »
Shit happens, I've seen the most part of my Rovers supporting life struggling in the bottom tier, we're still riding the wave as far as I'm concerned, disappointed, yes, depressed, not one little bit! A man lost his life suddenly watching a game of football, you are still here, what on earth have you got to feel depressed about?

This.

I got this far on the thread and stopped reading.

Being very competitive in the 3rd division is ok with me.  I want to be entertained, that's what football is for me.  And as we saw on Saturday, the relegation is insignificant compared to the sad loss.

I want next season to start next weekend!

Depressed, no way!

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re: Anyone Else Feeling Depressed? MPP
« Reply #18 on May 05, 2014, 03:40:25 pm by hoolahoop »

This.

I got this far on the thread and stopped reading.

Being very competitive in the 3rd division is ok with me.  I want to be entertained, that's what football is for me.  And as we saw on Saturday, the relegation is insignificant compared to the sad loss.

I want next season to start next weekend!

Depressed, no way!

:that:  :)  :rtid:

ExileRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 05, 2014, 03:44:28 pm by ExileRover »
Like others have said I am now over it after being a bit "mardy" and "ratty" on Saturday and yesterday according to the missus. I don't think I would have been too bothered, in the sense that I expected it after losing to Reading last week. Had Birmingham won the game comfortably or it even ended 0-0 I don't think it would have taken so long to get over the disappointment. The hardest bit was the fact we had such a party for 93mins for it to be taken away. As they say what goes around comes around we snatched both promotion and the title in the last 13 seconds last season. It doesn't help that in these new stadiums you don't seem able to get on the internet on the phone to find out other scores. As far as I knew Bolton were still 2-0 up until a small section of Leicester fans were singing Donny are going down which then dawned on me that Birmingham must have pulled it back. League one looks a good division next year with local derbies, let's hope Rotherham don't go up and York do. Bring it on!

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 06, 2014, 08:04:28 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Was disappointed on Saturday at how close we came to staying up.

But then to cheer me up on Sunday I watched the 'Champions' DVD from start to finish.  That sorted me out!  Bring on League 1  :scarf:

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 06, 2014, 11:05:59 am by Lincoln Rover »
Yes on Saturday evening I was at home and feeling very low. The tragic event to one of our own left me in tears.
In many respects we can't undo anything now, but we can like all true Yorkshire folk pick ourselves up and move on.
I for one can't wait for the fixtures to come out, see the friendlies arranged and sit having a nice cream at the back of the goals at Retford.
Bring it on I say. OUR team is here.
Remember things could always be worse.
You could be a Barnsley fan.
😜😜😜

TinyPortal © 2005-2012