Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 01:34:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lost generation rubbish...  (Read 22209 times)

andysly

• VSC Member
Re: Lost generation rubbish...
« Reply #150 on May 24, 2014, 01:18:53 am by andysly »
I'll give you an example of the current mentality that stops Rovers and clubs outside the PL getting good crowds.
I was at a fund raising function for Retford United tonight and Paul Mayfield brought along some Donny stuff for raffle prizes.
A couple of people nearby won DVDs from the promotion season, now I'll admit it's not everybody's cup of tea, but these were on tables where blokes consider themselves football fans.
The DVDs were being chucked about from one to other as nobody wanted it, but they'll all be in pub watching Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester's and the rest next season.
And that is a big part of the problem, it's all about watching big teams with a pint in your hand, putting no effort in on your own part to get to a game, putting no money in yourself other than buying ale, and deriding any other team apart from your own TV team as shit.
Sky has done a lot of good for some clubs and the profile of the sport, but it's also turned a lot of potential real football supporters into total halfwits.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #151 on May 24, 2014, 08:50:19 am by idler »
I think that you've hit the nail on the head there Andy.
People used to have a pint go to the game then go to the pub and talk about it.
Now a lot meet at the pub and sit supping and analysing putting nothing in to their local team.
It is even more sad when they are sitting there with a Man Unt. Chelsea Arsenal etc. shirt on. Usually teams that they have had no historical affinity with.
When I was younger fans watched their local team and then had a favourite second team.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #152 on May 24, 2014, 11:34:45 am by The Red Baron »
I think that you've hit the nail on the head there Andy.
People used to have a pint go to the game then go to the pub and talk about it.
Now a lot meet at the pub and sit supping and analysing putting nothing in to their local team.
It is even more sad when they are sitting there with a Man Unt. Chelsea Arsenal etc. shirt on. Usually teams that they have had no historical affinity with.
When I was younger fans watched their local team and then had a favourite second team.

And we get back to where we started actually. These guys are the sort of people who would have been growing up in the 90s when (a) Rovers were rubbish and (b) live televised football took off in a massive way, and fundamentally changed the way in which people "consume" the game.

That's one of the lost generations. The other was back in the 70s.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #153 on May 24, 2014, 11:57:43 am by Savvy »
I'll give you an example of the current mentality that stops Rovers and clubs outside the PL getting good crowds.
I was at a fund raising function for Retford United tonight and Paul Mayfield brought along some Donny stuff for raffle prizes.
A couple of people nearby won DVDs from the promotion season, now I'll admit it's not everybody's cup of tea, but these were on tables where blokes consider themselves football fans.
The DVDs were being chucked about from one to other as nobody wanted it, but they'll all be in pub watching Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester's and the rest next season.
And that is a big part of the problem, it's all about watching big teams with a pint in your hand, putting no effort in on your own part to get to a game, putting no money in yourself other than buying ale, and deriding any other team apart from your own TV team as shit.
Sky has done a lot of good for some clubs and the profile of the sport, but it's also turned a lot of potential real football supporters into total halfwits.

Thnk that clubs have got to think from a more business like point of view when it comes to supporters. Not one of the 92 league clubs have a devine right to the disposable income of fans, they have to realise that they have to have a product. People are not going to turn up year on year nowadays just because that's what they've always done! Take a look at the Supermarkets and how the big 4 have been shocked by the rise of Aldi and Lidl. Don't expect your target market to put up with sub-standard or highly priced poor quality product anymore!!!!!!!

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #154 on May 24, 2014, 12:00:38 pm by andysly »
By being a TV fan you miss out on so much.
By investing your time, money and emotions every win, loss or draw means so much, otherwise it must be more like watching a sports reality tv show, which runs a new series every August.

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #155 on May 28, 2014, 10:34:45 am by wesisback »
It's a tough decision to make when you're young with a certain amount of disposable income.
A 90 minute game at the Keepmoat (if I get a pie) can cost me £30 for what is generally a poor atmosphere. For the same amount of money I can have an afternoon in town watching a better standard of football with my mates and most of the time get my tea on the way home.
The lost generation isn't a Doncaster Rovers thing, its a national thing where young peoples priorities have changed. Look at all the out of town pubs being flattened around Doncaster - they failed to appeal to a changing market.

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #156 on May 28, 2014, 09:10:49 pm by andysly »
What you've written above just about sums up the problem. You'd rather get pissed with your mates watching Aston Villa v Stoke than actually support a proper club.
Don't you think pubs were open on a Saturday afternoon 30 years ago.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #157 on May 28, 2014, 09:27:16 pm by IDM »

Actually no, they weren't.  Shutting time after lunch was 3pm.  All day opening didn't come in until quite late in the 80's...

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #158 on May 28, 2014, 09:30:22 pm by idler »

Actually no, they weren't.  Shutting time after lunch was 3pm.  All day opening didn't come in until quite late in the 80's...
I think the pubs in the market place were ten until four on market days, Tuesdays and Saturdays. Race was great as well as it was 11 o'clock at night all week.  :)

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #159 on May 29, 2014, 12:41:19 am by wesisback »
What you've written above just about sums up the problem. You'd rather get pissed with your mates watching Aston Villa v Stoke than actually support a proper club.
It is your right. Football was a lot more reasonably priced and wasn't paying for eye watering wages.
I'm a self confessed part timer. I work most Saturdays so miss the majority of the games regardless but don't and won't buy into this support your team at any cost. I have plenty of other hobbies away from football that takes its cut of my disposable income and will get to Rovers when I can afford it or when the price is reasonable. I won't make apologies for the fact I don't see value for money in a trip to the Keepmoat. I don't enjoy the experience one little bit like I used to and the closing of the singing section shows the club's apathy to trying to catch the young adult market.
I'm know there is plenty in my age range who feel exactly the same, it's the club at fault for the fact we'd rather sit in a pub with an atmosphere than a ground with none.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012