Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:59:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Roy Hodgson has some very difficult decisions to make.  (Read 5611 times)

Wellred

• Forum Member
Roy Hodgson has some very difficult decisions to make.
« on June 20, 2014, 08:58:50 pm by Wellred »
The most important being......does he want an aisle seat or a window seat?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

not on facebook

• Forum Member
Re: Roy Hodgson has some very difficult decisions to make.
« Reply #1 on June 20, 2014, 09:10:31 pm by not on facebook »

Who would replace him?

Keep him on i say despite yer joke

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 20, 2014, 09:12:15 pm by Wellred »
Does it really matter? Not for me I'm afraid.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 20, 2014, 09:13:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We're coming home
We're coming home
We're coming
England's coming home.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 20, 2014, 09:20:32 pm by Boomstick »

So does Greg dyke

I would start with a new manager before the qualifiers for 2016.
Pardew? Redknapp? Mouriniho?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:24:11 pm by Boomstick »

Nicknitros

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 20, 2014, 09:31:10 pm by Nicknitros »
Not Redknapp or Pardew! Doubt Mourinho would leave chelsea

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 20, 2014, 09:49:22 pm by bpoolrover »
Do you really think pardew is better than hodgson,it's the players that have under performed not the manager

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 20, 2014, 09:49:35 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Brendan Rodgers would be my choice.

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 20, 2014, 09:55:16 pm by afro goal machine »
Lets see who forest green rovers sack this season then maybe give them a go ?

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 20, 2014, 09:59:15 pm by Dare to dream! »
He has to go for me, it's been an awful WC and the performaces haven't been good enough

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 20, 2014, 10:01:42 pm by Orlandokarla »

So does Greg dyke

I would start with a new manager before the qualifiers for 2016.
Pardew? Redknapp? Mouriniho?

Whomever you bring in still has the same pile of crap to pick from.
Mourinho would be a disaster at international football.
Redknapp/Pardew? I really don't think things are THAT bad yet!
Roy has extensive experience of international football, and Liverpool aside, at least Roy has experience of over-achieving with average players.
Rodgers has done well with a relatively average, massively overrated squad this season... He sounds like the ideal England manager to me!

newyankee

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 20, 2014, 10:03:06 pm by newyankee »
The one British manmager, although he is Welsh who I think would do well is Tony Pulis. He seems to do well with poor players so he will be well at home.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 20, 2014, 10:07:59 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I like Roberto Martinez and how he goes about things a lot. I'd like to see him as England manager someday, whether that's sooner or later.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 20, 2014, 11:00:19 pm by dickos1 »
The performances in this World Cup have been a lot better than in South Africa, it was an embarrassment there.
We've had a tough group and both games could've gone either way, in Africa we struggled against 3 terrible sides and then got battered against the first decent side we played, we've improved a lot since then and I reckon we'll keep improving under hodgson.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 20, 2014, 11:30:28 pm by bpoolrover »
Can't see why people always blame the manager and never the players, yes he picks the team and to be fair he probably picked the best team he could,some of the defending was shocking how woy can take the blame for that beggers belief

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 20, 2014, 11:35:43 pm by Copps is Magic »
Martinez is a great shout. Did someone mention 'on her head son' Pardew? haha.

Orlandokarla

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 21, 2014, 04:23:58 am by Orlandokarla »
Can't see why people always blame the manager and never the players, yes he picks the team and to be fair he probably picked the best team he could,some of the defending was shocking how woy can take the blame for that beggers belief

I've heard PLENTY of blame attributed to the players. As a manager, Roy has previously done a lot more, with a lot less, and deserves the criticism.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 21, 2014, 06:19:46 am by PDX_Rover »
I like Roberto Martinez and how he goes about things a lot. I'd like to see him as England manager someday, whether that's sooner or later.

Decent call. He's one of the ESPN pundits over here and is excellent. A very good manager also.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 21, 2014, 07:11:30 am by River Don »

Would you ruin your managerial career just as it's really getting into gear by going and trying to manage England?!

He'd be nuts to contemplate it. The same goes for Martinez.

International football manager is a job suited to an older bloke, particularly the England managers job.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:13:58 am by River Don »

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 21, 2014, 08:07:20 am by mushRTID »
Pardew  haha

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 21, 2014, 08:38:06 am by Milepostuk »
No decent manager would leave a top club to potentially ruin his reputation with England. Having said that I don't really understand why it needs to be a full time role. As far as I can see 90% of being an England manager is a bit of a "jolly". You just travel around watching prem games. You can do that 2 days a week (Sat/Sun or Mon games every week) even if you have to manage your own team on one of the match days.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 21, 2014, 09:47:10 am by wilts rover »
Being England manager may not be a fulltime job, being being a top club manager certainly is. One sometimes two games a week, taking training, reviewing games, scouting the oppo, scouting players, media commitments and then having to deal with reluctant rival clubs in an England role, no way it would work.

After the best part of 50 years without winning anything, or even getting to a final, if there was an easy solution I think they would have found it by now.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on June 21, 2014, 10:26:27 am by The Red Baron »

Would you ruin your managerial career just as it's really getting into gear by going and trying to manage England?!

International football manager is a job suited to an older bloke, particularly the England managers job.

Agreed- I offer you Steve McClaren. Regarded as one of the best young coaches in England he took the England job relatively young and it ruined his career. He is still regarded as a laughing stock by some in this country, although the move to Derby seems to have worked out well for him.

Donnyrovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 21, 2014, 10:40:54 am by Donnyrovers »

I think nearly everyone in country would be happy with Martinez, I don't think it will be too long before he's managing one of the top European clubs.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 21, 2014, 10:48:20 am by The Red Baron »
The performances in this World Cup have been a lot better than in South Africa, it was an embarrassment there.
We've had a tough group and both games could've gone either way, in Africa we struggled against 3 terrible sides and then got battered against the first decent side we played, we've improved a lot since then and I reckon we'll keep improving under hodgson.

I agree with that. The problem that Hodgson faced and that any manager would have done is the profile of the squad. The remnants of the "old guard"- Gerrard, Lampard, Cole-are past their best and the promising youngsters are just that- promising. There are too few players who are anywhere near their peak. Rooney should be, but in many ways he peaked too early and is now on the long downhill slide.

I hope Hodgson will use the Costa Rica game to give some of his young bloods a taste of tournament football- Shaw, Barkley, Wilshere and Oxlade-Chamberlain are four obvious ones. I think we'll do much better in two years time at the Euros.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on June 21, 2014, 11:06:52 am by Wiltshire Exile »

I think we'll do much better in two years time at the Euros."

Remember, you read it here first!  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:21:14 am by Wiltshire Exile »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on June 21, 2014, 11:13:42 am by Filo »

I agree with that. The problem that Hodgson faced and that any manager would have done is the profile of the squad. The remnants of the "old guard"- Gerrard, Lampard, Cole-are past their best and the promising youngsters are just that- promising. There are too few players who are anywhere near their peak. Rooney should be, but in many ways he peaked too early and is now on the long downhill slide.

I hope Hodgson will use the Costa Rica game to give some of his young bloods a taste of tournament football- Shaw, Barkley, Wilshere and Oxlade-Chamberlain are four obvious ones. I think we'll do much better in two years time at the Euros.

I think he needs to pick the young lads and give them licence to express themselves, and not stiffle their talent by playing too rigid

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 21, 2014, 12:18:29 pm by River Don »

Agreed- I offer you Steve McClaren. Regarded as one of the best young coaches in England he took the England job relatively young and it ruined his career. He is still regarded as a laughing stock by some in this country, although the move to Derby seems to have worked out well for him.

I give you Fabio Capello. Admittedly he was an older guy but look what happened to his reputation. Going from one of the most renowned coaches in Europe winning scudettos and European cups only to see it all forgotten and his reputation trashed. In this country he's seen as a clown.

The England managers job can be a poisoned chalice.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 21, 2014, 01:02:23 pm by BigH »
This all seems a bit like deja vu all over again.

Does anyone remember following England in the late 80s? A half decent run to the Quarters in the World Cup 86 in Mexico was followed by an abysmal showing in the 88 Euros; a tournament where we lost all 3 group games and came home well and truly with our tail between our legs. More was promised by and expected from that group of players and to say it was a crushing disappointment was an understatement. It was a shame that some very talented individuals didn't get to play later on in that tournament. Sound familiar?

And yet the FA persisted with Bobby Robson for the next campaign; Italia 90. Watching the rerun of the Germany game the other night I couldn't help but appreciate how a core of highly experienced individuals (Shilton, Lineker, Beardsley, Wright, Waddle) mixed with some very talented newcomers (Gascoigne, Platt, Walker) to provide a blend of flair, energy and steel in that competition.

And Hodgson is very much like Robson. A fundamentally decent guy who players like playing for, who knows the game inside out but who perhaps lacks that final insight/killer instinct necessary to be a truly great international manager.

Plenty of reasons to stick with Roy and to keep the faith.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 21, 2014, 02:38:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB/Wilts

I remember having a discussion with someone after the last WC, him telling me how much better we'd be next time round with the likes of Hart, Baines, Cahill and Jagielka at the back.

That turned out well...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012