Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:01:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: It's all gone quiet over where?  (Read 19292 times)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
It's all gone quiet over where?
« on July 04, 2014, 08:23:05 am by Jonathan »
What on earth is going on with this farcical 'takeover?'

Around a month back an article appeared in the local press, the gist of which was that Sheffield Wednesday could learn lessons from the protracted debacle that halted our preparations last summer. Who cares about Sheffield Wednesday? Here we are again in a seemingly even more shambolic position.

Aside from a hurried and confused press conference that seemed to have been staged in someone's back room, and a few frankly ludicrous statements about how we want to build our brand bigger than Manchester United, I'm at a complete loss to understand what the aims are and where we're actually going. Kids continue to make heartfelt pledges in return for key rings and posters, but this is a football club, a serious business for the town, and football seems to have been strangely lost in all of this.

I've no axe to grind with Louis Tomlinson at all, he's a kid from the town that's done well and I'm sure he wants to help, but he is just a kid. Does anyone honestly think that he has the time to be making key decisions at board level? I mean seriously? If anything he'd have to place an enormous level of trust in delegating authority to the Chief Exec and in reality, as remarkable as Louis' success has been, his wealth is nowhere near the level to run a football club and even further from that of the previous owners. A few signing on fees and modest contracts would eat considerably into his fortune. Neither he or his management will realistically sanction somebody making those decisions on his behalf with his money.

This leaves John Ryan, deserving of his legendary status for what he's done for this club, but by his own admission unable to financially underpin the level of ambition he actively promotes. We all know that he's worked closely with other consortia / hedge funds (call them what you like) but didn't have the voting rights to push it through. If, and it seems to remain if given the current state of flux, this takeover ever progresses to the level that change is actually tangible rather than just spoken of, then I've no doubt that's the way we're heading. Whilst I have my own reservations about that model, if it's now an inevitability then I wish we'd just get on with it.

When all's said and done, fans want a football team and that's what's been lost amidst all this bullshit (there's no other word for it). Right now we're 5 weeks from the season, we barely have enough players to field a team, there's clear discontent in the camp, we've lost good players and signed nobody. We're linked with a series of names ranging from the reasonable to the downright pathetic, meanwhile we have to digest this conjecture about becoming bigger than Manchester United! Can't we just set about being Doncaster Rovers, I know I'd happily settle for that but at this moment I'm not sure I know what it is?

If somebody can explain what's actually going on, where we are and where we're heading, then please do, because it's all gone quiet on that and I'm utterly lost.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:26:15 am by Jonathan »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: It's all gone quiet over where?
« Reply #1 on July 04, 2014, 08:37:29 am by Filo »
Amen!

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on July 04, 2014, 08:42:10 am by Not Now Kato »
Somebody HAS to be waiting in the wings.

Maybe until after the takeover when TB and DW have no say.

Wonder who it is.

I know who I hope it's not.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 04, 2014, 08:44:31 am by GazLaz »
August 9th is the time to take stock I think.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 04, 2014, 08:47:58 am by wing commander »
   The opening post is what should give the club huge concern...Not posts from me,sm,filo and all the people who voiced big concern from day 1...That's the view of a guy who is quietly sitting back and watching it unfold and then giving his view...People are lost with it,they haven't connected with it...The JR support thread now has as many doubters as supporters.....

The club...No JR needs to come out and put some meat on the bones to all this because people are getting might suspicious that all is not what it seems....

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 04, 2014, 08:53:05 am by Norfolk N Chance »

Around a month back an article appeared in the local press, the gist of which was that Sheffield Wednesday could learn lessons from the protracted debacle that halted our preparations last summer. Who cares about Sheffield Wednesday? Here we are again in a seemingly even more shambolic position.

Aside from a hurried and confused press conference that seemed to have been staged in someone's back room, and a few frankly ludicrous statements about how we want to build our brand bigger than Manchester United, I'm at a complete loss to understand what the aims are and where we're actually going. Kids continue to make heartfelt pledges in return for key rings and posters, but this is a football club, a serious business for the town, and football seems to have been strangely lost in all of this.

I've no axe to grind with Louis Tomlinson at all, he's a kid from the town that's done well and I'm sure he wants to help, but he is just a kid. Does anyone honestly think that he has the time to be making key decisions at board level? I mean seriously? If anything he'd have to place an enormous level of trust in delegating authority to the Chief Exec and in reality, as remarkable as Louis' success has been, his wealth is nowhere near the level to run a football club and even further from that of the previous owners. A few signing on fees and modest contracts would eat considerably into his fortune. Neither he or his management will realistically sanction somebody making those decisions on his behalf with his money.

This leaves John Ryan, deserving of his legendary status for what he's done for this club, but by his own admission unable to financially underpin the level of ambition he actively promotes. We all know that he's worked closely with other consortia / hedge funds (call them what you like) but didn't have the voting rights to push it through. If, and it seems to remain if given the current state of flux, this takeover ever progresses to the level that change is actually tangible rather than just spoken of, then I've no doubt that's the way we're heading. Whilst I have my own reservations about that model, if it's now an inevitability then I wish we'd just get on with it.

When all's said and done, fans want a football team and that's what's been lost amidst all this bullshit (there's no other word for it). Right now we're 5 weeks from the season, we barely have enough players to field a team, there's clear discontent in the camp, we've lost good players and signed nobody. We're linked with a series of names ranging from the reasonable to the downright pathetic, meanwhile we have to digest this conjecture about becoming bigger than Manchester United! Can't we just set about being Doncaster Rovers, I know I'd happily settle for that but at this moment I'm not sure I know what it is?

If somebody can explain what's actually going on, where we are and where we're heading, then please do, because it's all gone quiet on that and I'm utterly lost.

He's me thinking it was clear they take over on the 17th July.....

Utter rubbish once more!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on July 04, 2014, 08:57:42 am by bobjimwilly »
what's utter rubbish? The well thought out and put together post voicing sensible concerns about DRFC?

Great post.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 04, 2014, 08:59:27 am by wing commander »
 Well Norfolk you can beat your drum all you want but that the view that's starting to be felt by a lot of people wether you agree with or not...PD doesn't seem to be under the impression he can do anything till the T/o date..If nothing can be done or said until that date then they shouldn't have started there funding campaign till then either....You cant expect people to blindly hand over yet more cash yet tell them nothing....

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 04, 2014, 08:59:42 am by DonnyNoel »

He's me thinking it was clear they take over on the 17th July.....

Utter rubbish once more!

Yes because that was quite clearly what the OP was talking about....

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 04, 2014, 09:00:24 am by drfcsteve »
Anyone who is thinking for themselves has had similar thoughts to you Jonathan, I'm worried where we'll be in 5 years time. The problem is we can't have a sensible debate on here because some posters are just willing to blindly defend supreme leader Ryan no matter what the facts are.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 04, 2014, 09:06:27 am by DonnyNoel »
Anyone who is thinking for themselves has had similar thoughts to you Jonathan, I'm worried where we'll be in 5 years time. The problem is we can't have a sensible debate on here because some posters are just willing to blindly defend supreme leader Ryan no matter what the facts are.

In fairness I don't think comments like that help much either. Bemoaning lack of sensible debate then leaving a massive carrot for people to chomp on won't take this thread in the right direction...

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 04, 2014, 09:08:46 am by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Have to say I totally agree with every point Jonathan has made here.

JR has openly admitted in the past that he can't fund the club on his own.
LT has done well and fair play to him, but I dont think his wealth is anywhere near able to run a club.
The 2 million target will be nowhere near hit at this rate - what happens when it isn't?
Football HAS been forgotten amongst all this.  Not enough players/contracts being offered.

Not a great start & more questions than answers at the moment.

Hope I'm proved wrong

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 04, 2014, 09:13:06 am by Jonathan »
The last thing I want is for this to just transcend into another Ryan vs KM2 / SoD vs Saunders row. I just want to know what's actually going on, by which I mean what's actually HAPPENING, not just Norfolk throwing out a date.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 04, 2014, 09:14:20 am by GazLaz »

One of the problems is that there are not many facts, but if you speak to fans of other clubs that have experienced takeovers this is usually the case.

I think it will be a busy couple of weeks regarding signing players and then comes the big day... 17th July. We will know a lot more then. Politics take a bit of time to unravel themselves usually and new regimes take time to settle in and for it to become clear what the direction is. We all know whenever JR is involved in something it's always a bit of a pantomime from the outside, that's just the way he is.

Like I say 17th July is the next date to make a judgement and then 9th August.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 04, 2014, 09:15:42 am by the vicar »
You will have to wait till the 17th for that mate

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on July 04, 2014, 09:16:18 am by silent majority »
Blind faith doesn't advance the debate either. Asking questions is the correct thing to do, having them answered would also be the correct action to take.

The ambition that's been stated so far, with a financial model that won't even stabilise this club in its current league, can lead to speculation about this clubs future that should concern every DRFC supporter.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 04, 2014, 09:22:09 am by GazLaz »
Blind faith doesn't advance the debate either. Asking questions is the correct thing to do, having them answered would also be the correct action to take.

The ambition that's been stated so far, with a financial model that won't even stabilise this club in its current league, can lead to speculation about this clubs future that should concern every DRFC supporter.

We don't have any facts about what the TR2 have got or are willing to put in do we. The only fact we have is that TB is happy with their level of funding. That should buy TR2 a bit more time and trust as far as I'm concerned. It's only 2 weeks since the deal was struck, embryonic days yet.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 04, 2014, 09:36:41 am by steve@dcfd »
Great post Jonathan there are concerns from a lot of supporters. Yes Norfolk it may all be clear on the 17th July but apart from the ones in the know or think they are in the know nothing official is being said.

It's about DRFC, the team, the players we will have to go for promotion from this league. That is the priority not slating every post, not having factions, as supporters we want to know about the team.

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 04, 2014, 10:03:36 am by Yargo »
apart from the ones in the know or think they are in the know nothing official is being said.
On that note what i call The Silence Of The Sycophants are making alot of noise,by their very abscense.apparently the lack of take up on the"offers" is all down to the moaners and groaners!

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 04, 2014, 10:10:20 am by DearneValleyRover »
A very well constructed and thought out post by a very sensible poster who is echoing many others concerns

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 04, 2014, 10:25:58 am by bpoolrover »
im not quite sure why people are worried,as many people said tb and dw would never put the the club at risk and would only sell if its in the best intrest of drfc,now the same people who said that are now questioning this takeover that to me makes me think either they were talking rubbish about tb and dw or there just trying to stir things up,ryan and lt dont even take over till mid july yet the same people are still stirring things up

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on July 04, 2014, 10:30:21 am by DearneValleyRover »
How is it stirring? The silence is deafening and despite talking to players we aren't in a position to offer deals, if the TO is nailed on why have we to wait to make offers? These are reasonable questions which aren't aimed at individuals.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 04, 2014, 10:32:26 am by bpoolrover »
how do you no we are not in a position to offer deals? maybe tb and dw have said until the takeover is complete we cant sign anyone?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 04, 2014, 10:40:44 am by Jonathan »
I might add I haven't posted on here for a very long time and have never said that TB and DW would only sell to those with the club's interests at heart. Honestly, I don't even know if I understand if they have sold, I just don't know what's going on! Now please refrain from dragging this into pathetic 'tit for tat' squabbling and points scoring, and somebody that understands what's happening please make it clear...

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 04, 2014, 10:53:37 am by wing commander »
   That Jonathon is the problem..Nobody does know whats happening and the club aren't saying...We are all making assumptions on our gut feelings and little snippets of information passed here and there.... Taking everybody's thoughts and opinions into consideration..Why they cant just tell us what the situation is,is frankly beyond me...!!!

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 04, 2014, 10:59:56 am by weststander »
Has anyone asked the club to confirm that we will not/cannot sign anyone until the takeover is finalised?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on July 04, 2014, 11:01:22 am by bpoolrover »
I might add I haven't posted on here for a very long time and have never said that TB and DW would only sell to those with the club's interests at heart. Honestly, I don't even know if I understand if they have sold, I just don't know what's going on! Now please refrain from dragging this into pathetic 'tit for tat' squabbling and points scoring, and somebody that understands what's happening please make it clear...
i was not talking about you johnathon sorry 4 not making that clear

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 04, 2014, 11:07:01 am by silent majority »
I've already posted several times that this isn't about personalities, nor is it about which side of the argument anyone is on. I'm on the side of the club. That's it!

Therefore when TB and DW said they would only sell if it was in the best interests of the club and it's supporters I agreed with that. But now they've sold it doesn't, and shouldn't, stop me or anyone else from asking what those details are.

Those with blind faith in JR are saying we should also have blind faith in TB. Sorry but that doesn't work either.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 04, 2014, 11:07:20 am by Wellred »
In the main a very sensible post Jonathan, however I would take issue with your point about discontent in the camp. If you mean this forum by "the camp" then fair enough but......................the world doesn't revolve around this forum. It is a very small minority compared to the rest of the clubs supporters.

Sit back and wait and lets see what happens. None of us no matter how much we post are going to change anything.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 04, 2014, 11:17:15 am by StocksArmy »
Be patient

TinyPortal © 2005-2012