Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:43:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What's the best TV comedy ever?  (Read 9380 times)

IC1967

• Forum Member
Re: What's the best TV comedy ever?
« Reply #60 on July 14, 2014, 12:45:15 pm by IC1967 »
The word 'uneducated' springs to mind. The fact that you and your uncle found it funny says a lot about you both. You obviously didn't give a second's thought for the damage it was doing to the vast majority of stammerers. If you can't see that making it OK to laugh at a speech impediment is totally wrong then I'm lost for words.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:59:26 pm by IC1967 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on July 14, 2014, 12:49:05 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I wonder if John Cleese caused offence to people with Parkinsons disease when he was a member of the ministry of silly walks?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on July 14, 2014, 12:50:59 pm by Wild Rover »
Uneducated, well that's a good one, I can supply info to show that is not the case.
I suppose you dislike most things that don't fit snugly with you.

So, remain lost for words. In fact do us all a favour and forget how to use them. All of them.

Especially your piss take on what is it STAMMERMMERS
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:53:45 pm by Wild Rover »

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on July 14, 2014, 12:51:17 pm by IC1967 »
I wonder if John Cleese caused offence to people with Parkinsons disease when he was a member of the ministry of silly walks?

No he didn't. I think you'll struggle to find any evidence for your supposition whereas I can find plenty for mine.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on July 14, 2014, 12:53:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I wonder if Basil Fawlty hitting Manuel was offensive to people who classed it as racism?

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on July 14, 2014, 12:54:47 pm by IC1967 »
Uneducated, well that's a good one, I can supply info to show that is not the case.
I suppose you dislike most things that don't fit snugly with you.

So, remain lost for words. In fact do us all a favour and forget how to use them. All of them.

I'd stop digging your hole if I were you. It is totally ludicrous to defend taking the piss out of stammerers. If we had a poll on this thread as to whether I was right and you were wrong you would be in a minority of one (maybe two if your uncle is a forum member).

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on July 14, 2014, 12:56:16 pm by Wild Rover »
stammermmerers

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 14, 2014, 12:58:23 pm by IC1967 »
I wonder if Basil Fawlty hitting Manuel was offensive to people who classed it as racism?

Only if you are a politically correct nutjob. Manuel was beaten for being incompetent not because he was Spanish.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on July 14, 2014, 01:02:27 pm by IC1967 »
stammermmerers

Like I said, I'd stop digging if I were you.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on July 14, 2014, 01:05:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Why is people immitating stammerers more offensive than people immitating spastics?

Wasn't Basil often requesting that customers should accept Manuel's simplicities because he was from Barcelona?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on July 14, 2014, 01:16:36 pm by Wild Rover »
Why should I heed the advice of you.stammermmerers

And as I said earlier, why blame Ronnie , he was an actor, Roy Clarke wrote it. Take your problem up with him.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:19:03 pm by Wild Rover »

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 14, 2014, 02:05:27 pm by IC1967 »

And as I said earlier, why blame Ronnie , he was an actor, Roy Clarke wrote it. Take your problem up with him.

You just can't stop taking the piss can you?

You obviously don't know what you are on about. The stammer was absent in the original script. Barker introduced it to the character and uneducated people like yourself let him get away with it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/OpenAllHours?from=Main.OpenAllHours

Anyway it doesn't matter who brought the stammer to the show. What matters is that people like you and your uncle didn't have the brains to see how offensive it was. All the more unbelievable given both of you suffer/suffered with a similar affliction.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on July 14, 2014, 02:09:14 pm by IC1967 »
Why is people immitating stammerers more offensive than people immitating spastics?

Wasn't Basil often requesting that customers should accept Manuel's simplicities because he was from Barcelona?

You've lost me. Who imitated spastics? I don't recall the Spastics Society ever complaining about Flowery T**ts.

Basil  was just letting people know that Manuel was from Barcelona so they could make allowances for his poor English. To try to imply that Manuel was being portrayed as a spastic is way over the top and ludicrous in the extreme.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on July 14, 2014, 02:16:04 pm by Wild Rover »

You just can't stop taking the piss can you?

You obviously don't know what you are on about. The stammer was absent in the original script. Barker introduced it to the character and uneducated people like yourself let him get away with it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/OpenAllHours?from=Main.OpenAllHours

Anyway it doesn't matter who brought the stammer to the show. What matters is that people like you and your uncle didn't have the brains to see how offensive it was. All the more unbelievable given both of you suffer/suffered with a similar affliction.

There must have been close on 10 million people like me and my uncle, some who no doubt stuttered, and actually enjoyed the programme .

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 14, 2014, 02:26:37 pm by IC1967 »
Just because most people enjoyed the show doesn't make it right. I have never stammered but knew instinctively that the use of a stammer was reprehensible. To try and defend the show by quoting numbers is laughable.

Ask yourself a question. Why is it that Til Death Us Do Part and Love Thy Neighbour don't feature in people's top comedy shows. Because they were racist. These shows had bigger viewing figures than Open All Hours so does that make it OK in your eyes?

It seems we still have a long way to go before people realise that taking the piss out of stammerers is totally unacceptable. You are part of the problem not the solution.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on July 14, 2014, 02:29:42 pm by Wild Rover »
I only need solution to one problem. And its not stammering.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 14, 2014, 02:46:06 pm by IC1967 »
Look just issue an abject apology and we'll say no more about the matter. I guarantee it will be immediately accepted. I would give one piece of advice though. Do what I always do. In future, engage brain before posting.

Thanking you in anticipation for your cooperation.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on July 14, 2014, 03:00:39 pm by Wild Rover »
One thing is for sure, no apology will be forthcoming, not in respect of programme, or any other that you deem to be wrong type of programme. Its a comedy, as was every other you see fit to decry. Times and people change. I don't.

Oh, and that piece you quoted 2013, from 1 guy ( age 28 ), hells teeth was he born when Arkwright did his GGGGGG Granville bit. (1973-1985 ) Don't think so.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:13:23 pm by Wild Rover »

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on July 14, 2014, 03:24:31 pm by swintonrover »
So anyway, about that good natured discussion about TV comedies we were having...

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 14, 2014, 03:53:32 pm by RedJ »
So anyway, about that good natured discussion about TV comedies we were having...

Mick making a thread all about him, real shocker eh?  :rolleyes:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on July 14, 2014, 04:28:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He was always gonna be one of the main likely lads to sabotage the thread by talking out of his bottom. You just have to remember that some mother's do 'av 'em. Don't take the Mick, he can't help himself.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on July 14, 2014, 04:32:55 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The thin blue line was very funny, i thought.....

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on July 14, 2014, 05:29:47 pm by jonnydog »
aye, another light hearted thread I see has gone to cock yet again.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 14, 2014, 10:21:59 pm by Iberian Red »
Back on topic.

Freddy Daviesth wasth funny as fcuk.

moses

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on July 15, 2014, 01:03:46 pm by moses »
Watched the first series of Benidorm over the last week. Really enjoyed it. Some of the observations of All Inclusive holidays are spot on.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on July 15, 2014, 02:23:57 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Another one that I don't think has been mentioned is the Detectives, with Robert Powell, Jasper Carrott and George Sewell. I always reight enjoyed it!

Milepostuk

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 16, 2014, 09:31:11 am by Milepostuk »
Still Game

Hid away late night on BBC2 I think but, my wife got me the boxed set. Brilliant!

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on July 17, 2014, 12:55:36 pm by Iberian Red »
Ok, not TV, but radio.

Just A Minute.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on July 19, 2014, 04:18:22 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Porrige, Falwty Towers, Only Fools and Horses, Royle Family, and my current favourite, Not Going Out, that is just so bloody funny.

The office, I'd try watching it and have to turn over after a few minutes, So good was Gervais' doing that totally infuriating, character.  Only ever managed to watch one episode right through, the last one he made.

Other high points for me include the Morcambe and Wise sketch with Andre Preview and the German guests in Faulty Towers.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on July 19, 2014, 06:26:03 pm by RobTheRover »
Vic Reeves' Big Night Out was groundbreaking.

L-AAAAAAAR-D

TinyPortal © 2005-2012