Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:35:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Who would you like to see as the VSC's nominated charity for 2014/15?

Alzheimer's Society
22 (21.2%)
Bluebell Wood
36 (34.6%)
Firefly
46 (44.2%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: Final Vote - Choose the VSC Charity for 2014/15  (Read 11929 times)

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
Final Vote - Choose the VSC Charity for 2014/15
« on July 15, 2014, 08:37:36 am by DaveDRFC »
Thanks to all who have voted so far, now it's time for the final vote. This thread will be open until 20:00 on Friday 18th July and the winner announced then.

Alzheimer's Society - A membership organisation which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Many of our 20,000 members have personal experience of dementia, as carers, health professionals or people with dementia themselves, and their experiences help to inform our work - http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

Bluebell Wood - Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice offers care and support to children with a shortened life expectancy, both in their own homes and at our hospice in North Anston. Bluebell Wood is a place filled with laughter and love. We give families the chance to relax, take a break and have fun, and we help support the whole family - http://www.bluebellwood.org/

Firefly -We provide funding to maintain the Firefly Express, a vehicle for a free shuttle transport service for patients undergoing cancer treatments at regional cancer centres. This superb vehicle has been donated by Fil Adams Mercer through Channel 4 Secret Millionaire. This will ease the psychological, physical and financial stress faced by patients and their families - https://www.facebook.com/FireflyCIC

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
Re: Final Vote - Choose the VSC Charity for 2014/15
« Reply #1 on July 15, 2014, 09:02:44 am by hoolahoop »
Thank you for shortlisting Firefly .

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 15, 2014, 12:13:24 pm by the vicar »
but with firefly it sounds like by the wright up that most of the money goes to admin which i am against just my opinion

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 15, 2014, 04:37:14 pm by hoolahoop »
but with firefly it sounds like by the wright up that most of the money goes to admin which i am against just my opinion

Of course the overheads are high Dave , however it is a charity close to my heart.
It is a transportation charity so that would pre-suppose that fuel costs and the purchase of vehicles is likely to be expensive.

I last spoke to Denise when asking what help they could give to me for the countless radiotherapy sessions I was due to have.
I didn't realise that at the time she was a cancer sufferer. She was patient and reassuring but about 20 mins into the conversation ; I was shocked when she said " Steve do you mind if I ring you back but I'm feeling unwell waiting for my appointment and I too am a cancer sufferer" She never did ring me back sorry to say but her husband did as she had let him know I needed help. He then went on to explain how and when she had died and that he and their daughter would ensure that those needing help would still get it
 In other words Denise's lasting legacy to the people of Doncaster would be that her family would see her dream realised.

Dave you're a lovely fella but I do hope that you will reconsider where your vote goes and hopefully others on here know the testament of the mark that a Doncaster lady with vision has left the frightened , ill and lonely of this Borough with.

Please don' t misunderstand me the other two candidates are close to my heart too especially the local candidate Bluebell Wood however this is an established charity with very healthy revenue streams supported by local and national  businesses trading in the area for many years.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:48:01 pm by hoolahoop »

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 15, 2014, 04:59:49 pm by Al4475 »
Firefly for me - mrs4475 is still in her 5 year period before clearance after her breast cancer - and all seems good so far! We were lucky I suppose throughout her radiotherapy that one set of parents would transport her to sheff for the radio! But there were many people there that weren't so lucky and used the firefly services! The others are both very worthwhile (as were all the initial options) but firefly gets my vote!

ROVERSBELLY

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 15, 2014, 05:33:16 pm by ROVERSBELLY »
Firefly for me too , luckily enough we have not had to use it services on the numerous visits to Weston Park whilst my wife has undergone treatment for Thyroid Cancer , but have seen it there on many occassion helping those that have needed it. Again all worthy causes. Good luck to all.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 15, 2014, 05:39:55 pm by Nudga »
Bluebell wood for me, my missus is a nurse there so I understand what the kids and families go through.

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 15, 2014, 06:49:05 pm by scaley back rover »
Firefly for me too my brother in law who hadnt even hit 30 found this service along with the advice , freindship and support such a big help that you couldnt put a monetry value on it.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on July 15, 2014, 07:15:23 pm by Al4475 »
Whichever way the vote goes - more great (behind the scenes as ever) work from Dave in his role as VSC Community Officer!

Nice one fella!

donnyplant

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 15, 2014, 07:31:10 pm by donnyplant »
Just to let the vicar know, no money is spent on any admin or wages through firefly. The money is purely used to keep the vehicles on the roads and transporting patients.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 15, 2014, 07:55:35 pm by hoolahoop »
Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could ever get to the position where all 3 could be substantially supported by the monies raised by our supporters.
Donny folk by and large do come and support our charitable work. I love this town and its whingeing , negative folk  ....... YES IM COMING BACK HOME TOMORROW :))))

thorneydave

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on July 15, 2014, 10:10:53 pm by thorneydave »
Its very rare i post on here, although i am a member, so you probably dont recognise the name but can someone give me more info on Firefly please? My daughter has been in Sheffield childrens hospital since January 1st with an aggresive cancer and its the first i've heard of Firefly.
 Im not on facebook so a web address or other link would be great. Glad you are coming home Hoola.
  Many thanks.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 15, 2014, 10:54:46 pm by DaveDRFC »
Hi Dave, sorry to read about your daughter. I'm not on Facebook either but that link does let you read about Firefly without logging in. I'm also sure someone else on here will have some details they can pass onto you. All the best to you and your family, I hope your daughter's treatment is going well.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on July 15, 2014, 11:01:59 pm by hoolahoop »
Its very rare i post on here, although i am a member, so you probably dont recognise the name but can someone give me more info on Firefly please? My daughter has been in Sheffield childrens hospital since January 1st with an aggresive cancer and its the first i've heard of Firefly.
 Im not on facebook so a web address or other link would be great. Glad you are coming home Hoola.
  Many thanks.

Thorneydave you have pm. :)

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on July 15, 2014, 11:47:55 pm by the vicar »
 I know what u have gone through hoola but I lost my dad, grandma and grandad to this horrible disease called Altzhiemers and it could happen to anyone of us without even knowing we have it.  People who have it are dead long before they actually pass away.  It robs people of any dignity, memories and everything else you can think of, they can't eat properly, dribble constantly as it turns a once active brain and mind to mush.  As you can see, this is close to my heart as the the cancer one is to you.  Anyone on here, or any member of their family could have this and not even know as the "incidents" just get classed as "forgetfulness" and it amuses the family until it gets to a stage where you start to thing "this isn't right" and you eventually seek medical attention, but by this time the disease has taken a hold and the person never comes back to you!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 16, 2014, 12:05:45 am by the vicar »
What a brill idea support all 3  how can anyone choose between 3 great and needy organisation it would be cruel to do so I think

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 16, 2014, 05:28:40 am by idler »
Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could ever get to the position where all 3 could be substantially supported by the monies raised by our supporters.
Donny folk by and large do come and support our charitable work. I love this town and its whingeing , negative folk  ....... YES IM COMING BACK HOME TOMORROW :))))
Hope that you had a good journey back Hoola.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 16, 2014, 06:11:03 am by hoolahoop »
I know what u have gone through hoola but I lost my dad, grandma and grandad to this horrible disease called Altzhiemers and it could happen to anyone of us without even knowing we have it.  People who have it are dead long before they actually pass away.  It robs people of any dignity, memories and everything else you can think of, they can't eat properly, dribble constantly as it turns a once active brain and mind to mush.  As you can see, this is close to my heart as the the cancer one is to you.  Anyone on here, or any member of their family could have this and not even know as the "incidents" just get classed as "forgetfulness" and it amuses the family until it gets to a stage where you start to thing "this isn't right" and you eventually seek medical attention, but by this time the disease has taken a hold and the person never comes back to you!

Dave , I do understand exactly what you mean about Altzeimers and once saw it described as the " Forgotten disease" obviously the author of this particular disease was referring also to the way that this disease wipes your memories clean in much the same way that we can do with our mobile phone apps. One minute the information (data) is there and gradually without any seemingly good reason it disappear s. There can't be a family in this country that hasn't witnessed first hand the devastating way that the brain is attacked. Bit by bit data disappears initially to some amusement and then to horror as that person begins to disappear, some memories survive, many from childhood as the perception of time and space and that person's place in the world slowly disappears from view.
Dave I do understand as many years ago I nursed my maternal grandfather through this hell. The family gave up on him ( my mother was dead by that time thankfully ) and it was left to my ex-wife who just happened to be a registered mental nurse and me to help him survive. Eventually the strain of it all meant that we had to seek out a decent nursing home for him. We visited him every day but only on the odd occasion did he show us  any recognition. Then to call us by some long dead relative's name........it was hell and we were so relieved but saddened when he died clutching his Burma Star medal taken from a box of memorabilia. All those years in a Japanese prison of war camp perhaps for a fleeting moment relived. I hope he didn't remember any of that hell too Dave

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 17, 2014, 07:23:47 am by DaveDRFC »
Just giving this a bump for the last couple of days voting...

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 17, 2014, 03:09:23 pm by hoolahoop »
Bumping again so that all the charities and posters get a chance.

vietaff

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 17, 2014, 04:01:15 pm by vietaff »
Thanks to all who have voted so far, now it's time for the final vote. This thread will be open until 20:00 on Friday 18th July and the winner announced then.

Alzheimer's Society - A membership organisation which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Many of our 20,000 members have personal experience of dementia, as carers, health professionals or people with dementia themselves, and their experiences help to inform our work - http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

Bluebell Wood - Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice offers care and support to children with a shortened life expectancy, both in their own homes and at our hospice in North Anston. Bluebell Wood is a place filled with laughter and love. We give families the chance to relax, take a break and have fun, and we help support the whole family - http://www.bluebellwood.org/

Firefly -We provide funding to maintain the Firefly Express, a vehicle for a free shuttle transport service for patients undergoing cancer treatments at regional cancer centres. This superb vehicle has been donated by Fil Adams Mercer through Channel 4 Secret Millionaire. This will ease the psychological, physical and financial stress faced by patients and their families - https://www.facebook.com/FireflyCIC

All great and worthy charities picked, but I just wanted to give you an insight into the we Merton trust charity. This is a Doncaster charity for Doncaster people. As you know once a year we bring a team of 'premiership legends' to the KM to raise funds, it was our second year this year and we raised 30k - thanks to any of you who came. I want to raise it as it is a local charity however it doesn't have the support of Louis Tomlinson ( such as bluebell wood) so all revenue raised are through specific events. This is to help cancer patients weather terminally ill or fought this horrid illness compile a bucket list of their choice, something they want to do before they succumb to this disease or to celebrate beating it. It wasn't selected this year however maybe next.... In the meantime if you want to request funds for someone you know who has fought/ has cancer please let me know and I will see what we can do. Once again good luck to the 3 'finalists'.

robchester

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 17, 2014, 04:27:17 pm by robchester »
Like the idea of splitting the status between the three charities.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on July 18, 2014, 07:06:25 am by DaveDRFC »
Bump for the final day of voting...thread will be locked at 20:00 tonight so please make your vote count.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 18, 2014, 07:42:47 am by hoolahoop »
Come on everyone. There are hundreds of members and only 99 have bothered vote !

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 18, 2014, 08:12:41 am by Al4475 »
Like the idea of splitting the status between the three charities.

That has been discussed Robchester, but it was felt that only having one designated charity per year would be of more benefit to the Charity for their year of partnership.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:52:05 am by Al4475 »

ROVERSBELLY

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 18, 2014, 05:15:39 pm by ROVERSBELLY »
Bump , less than 3 hours before this closes , cast your votes and All the best to All 3 Charitys.

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 18, 2014, 08:02:03 pm by DaveDRFC »
Thanks to all who voted, Firefly will be the VSC charity for 2014/15!

I will get in touch with them next week and we can begin to plan some fundraising for them. Thanks again to all who took the time to vote.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 19, 2014, 12:02:41 am by Dagenham Rover »
I'm pleased for them I remember watching the the secret millionaire programme that got them a new minibus very deserving.
 tbh as are all

scaley back rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 19, 2014, 12:40:10 am by scaley back rover »
Brilliant news my brother in law will be pleased i may have to force him to come to see the mighty rovers

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on July 19, 2014, 12:53:19 am by hoolahoop »
Great news . I really appreciate the way you guys have discussed this and brought into focus the great work that these charities do for our communities.

I'm sure the folks at Firefly will be delighted  :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012