Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:59:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

Future Rovers manager?

Jones
61 (80.3%)
Coppinger
13 (17.1%)
Wellens
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Which one of these is most likely to be a future rovers manager  (Read 1183 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
As per title. Few murmurs about players taking on coaching roles in their contracts and these are the three usually mentioned. But which has the attributes in your view to become a DRFC manager of the future?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
I don't think Jones will be a good manager just a good coach.

I picked Wellens because he's got that nasty treak + i think he understands the game better than Copps and Jones
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:33:25 am by Dare to dream! »

jonnydog

• VSC Member
I'd say Jones, then Wellens, Then  Copps.

You definitely need leadership skills and in my personal opinion, Jones proved that in his last full season, rallying the troops and gearing the players up. I firmly believe that if he had been fit last season we would have got that final point we needed to stay up!

Also, I wager that if Jones was the manager, Quinn would either (by now) be fully match fit... or dead!

DRNaith

• VSC Member
Re: Which one of these is most likely to be a future rovers manager
« Reply #3 on July 31, 2014, 11:25:35 am by DRNaith »
Mark Wilson?

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
I've said it for a while now - Rob Jones will be our next manager if and when Paul Dickov isn't.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
If you ever see Jones play in a friendly at a little ground (I'm thinking specifically of the Rosso Main game last season) you will see how he is with the players. He takes zero shit. Always talking to them,  praising and bollocking in equal measures.

River Don

• Forum Member
Just because Jones is a big, imposing defender who will put his head on between someone's boot and the ball doesn't mean he doesn't have other qualities.

In radio interviews Jones always comes across as an articulate, thoughtful bloke. That doesn't necessarily make him great management material but it's a decent start.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Wasn't Jones a teacher in the past?  Suggests he has more than some footballers in his head...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
People skills/man management are very important attributes on top of coaching,  tactics and player knowledge/contacts.

Best players don't always make the best managers. Great coaches don't always make the best managers. Good managers may not be great coaches. At our level, the more ticks to your boxes the better.

Not sure that Copps has the demeaner to be a good manager, Wellens may think he has. Jones the more likely candidate I would say. Very balanced, speaks well, commands respect and is probably further down the road in ticking off the boxes.   

TinyPortal © 2005-2012