Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:11:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: taxi for dickov?  (Read 15305 times)

streatham dave

• VSC Member
Re: taxi for dickov?
« Reply #60 on August 31, 2014, 01:15:08 pm by streatham dave »
I'm not commenting on the game against Oldham as I didn't go. So far this season I've seen us against Port Vale, Colchester and Watford and I think that's enough to get a flavour of what the issue is. On paper it looks like we play 4-5-1 in reality it is something closer to the Christmas tree formation that Terry Venables used to great effect in 1996 a 4-3-2-1 formation with Coppinger and Forrester/ Bennett as the 2. This is a very direct attacking formation but it requires good hold up play from the front man and speed moving the ball forward and great athleticism. In my opinion this has freed up Copps who seems to have improved under this system. The trouble is it leaves you terribly exposed out wide leaving Evina and Wakefield/Wabara with a lot to do. In this formation it is more important that these players can defend then attack because otherwise it drags your other players out of position. This happened Vs Port Vale when Wabara's positioning led to Copps dropping back and MCcoulough coming across leaving a gaping hole where he should have been centrally. I like the formation and if it can be played with pace we will win more games than we will lose but we need to play the ball quickly and Copps or Bennett/Forrester need to drop back to support on counter attacks down the flank they are on. Can Bennett and Forester do this? The other free man must stay forward as an outlet passed to the middle then to them or Forward. Looking at the Oldham highlights just now, you can play whatever system you want but conceding from set pieces your making life difficult for yourself.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 31, 2014, 01:28:36 pm by Filo »
I'm not commenting on the game against Oldham as I didn't go. So far this season I've seen us against Port Vale, Colchester and Watford and I think that's enough to get a flavour of what the issue is. On paper it looks like we play 4-5-1 in reality it is something closer to the Christmas tree formation that Terry Venables used to great effect in 1996 a 4-3-2-1 formation with Coppinger and Forrester/ Bennett as the 2. This is a very direct attacking formation but it requires good hold up play from the front man and speed moving the ball forward and great athleticism. In my opinion this has freed up Copps who seems to have improved under this system. The trouble is it leaves you terribly exposed out wide leaving Evina and Wakefield/Wabara with a lot to do. In this formation it is more important that these players can defend then attack because otherwise it drags your other players out of position. This happened Vs Port Vale when Wabara's positioning led to Copps dropping back and MCcoulough coming across leaving a gaping hole where he should have been centrally. I like the formation and if it can be played with pace we will win more games than we will lose but we need to play the ball quickly and Copps or Bennett/Forrester need to drop back to support on counter attacks down the flank they are on. Can Bennett and Forester do this? The other free man must stay forward as an outlet passed to the middle then to them or Forward. Looking at the Oldham highlights just now, you can play whatever system you want but conceding from set pieces your making life difficult for yourself.

We've been playing 4-2-3-1, the problem we had yesterday was the three behind the striker, Coppinger, Bennett and Furman needed to be a bit narrower and the fullbacks needed to provide the width, that only happened once that I can remember when Wabarra got in behind in the first half. We have two sitting midfielders that can provide cover if the Fullbacks push on, it's a dynamic formation if the player execute it right, yesterday they didn't
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:47:32 pm by Filo »

mjg

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 31, 2014, 01:33:07 pm by mjg »
I think it's taxi time

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 31, 2014, 04:04:19 pm by Donny Viking »
I'd order a taxi (or a coach) for all the moaners.  Its no coincidence that we play well away with a few hundred fans supporting the team, than a few thousand at home getting on players backs when things aren't like Barcelona - and I don'y get chance to go away games, just season ticket at home... It's only footie, chill, relax and enjoy. It will be all right, what's the worse than can happen if we don't get promotion this year? Dickov's got an eye, and an ability for signing quality give the guy time, he's only a few years into his career. :scarf:

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on August 31, 2014, 04:16:46 pm by DRNaith »
You can get tickets on the day for £20 in the West Stand. But I agree, it's going to get to the point at some stage this season when we're playing in front of around 4500 fans, and the club don't seem too bothered.

Club don't seem too bothered? Ha, we must be looking at different clubs, the Rovers I've been looking at have extended the contract of a few players this week and seem to have helped the manager build a fairly strong squad, with still loan-market cash when needed.

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on September 01, 2014, 09:51:55 am by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
I thought Dickov was very naive in his tactics on Saturday as he was vs. Port Vale! The reason I say this is that he started a winning team from the Watford (and Yeovil) games, when we had better players on the bench which, if you're wanting three points you should be starting (Wellens & Forrester).

It's as though he was more bothered about team morale rather than gaining three points. I rate Furman, but as a CDM/CM, why Dickov played him behind Tyson on Saturday instead of Forrester I'll never know! Tyson's (and Theo's) pace is crying out for Forrester's creative talents!

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on September 01, 2014, 12:27:51 pm by BRMC_rover »
Seen a lot of talk from LVG about as a manager it is important to have a philospohy

SOD - Passing Play
DS -  Rigid and strong

I don't think we could all be unanimous on PD's philoshophy

Philosophy

There you are.

He's the talented young Irish keeper on trial isn't he? Looking to build the team around the assured young shot stopper, 'Phil O'Sophy'.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on September 01, 2014, 01:42:56 pm by BRMC_rover »
Hang on, we beat Watford in cup and what a great performance, quality team.  Start the day with high expectations, season looks good, players signing......then we get beat and Manger should be sacked! Glad u are not our chairman, we'd be worse than Leeds. I was there today and yes it was crap, but considering what the team has been through, on the whole I've been happy with the start to the season.  Dickov makes the 3 subs, and before they get a touch Mc gives pen away. Not exactly Dickovs fault 2 goals today, he can only do so much.

Its PD's job to set up the team to win. Fair point the goals were not his fault, but we did not even manage a threatening bit of play. Its inexcusable, not to the extent of looking at sacking him, but he should know that with the players at our disposable, as a manager there are things you should be able to do to change things and at least after 90 minutes, say we gave our all but it wasn't to be. That wasn't the case on Saturday. Dickov is ok, but we are getting away with it a little bit as he's not the best calibre of manager we can attract to the club. Not by a long stretch.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on September 01, 2014, 06:01:39 pm by wilts rover »
Hang on, we beat Watford in cup and what a great performance, quality team.  Start the day with high expectations, season looks good, players signing......then we get beat and Manger should be sacked! Glad u are not our chairman, we'd be worse than Leeds. I was there today and yes it was crap, but considering what the team has been through, on the whole I've been happy with the start to the season.  Dickov makes the 3 subs, and before they get a touch Mc gives pen away. Not exactly Dickovs fault 2 goals today, he can only do so much.

Its PD's job to set up the team to win. Fair point the goals were not his fault, but we did not even manage a threatening bit of play. Its inexcusable, not to the extent of looking at sacking him, but he should know that with the players at our disposable, as a manager there are things you should be able to do to change things and at least after 90 minutes, say we gave our all but it wasn't to be. That wasn't the case on Saturday. Dickov is ok, but we are getting away with it a little bit as he's not the best calibre of manager we can attract to the club. Not by a long stretch.

would you be prepared to name a few names of people you know we can attract?

john_donc857

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on September 01, 2014, 06:44:40 pm by john_donc857 »
Does anybody have the stats handy of rovers home league form under Paul dickov since he arrived at the club

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on September 01, 2014, 07:05:12 pm by The Red Baron »
League:

P.26. W. 9 D. 5 L. 12

Cup

P. 3 W. 1 D. 0 L. 2

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on September 01, 2014, 07:12:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Aye

Last season our home league record was
P23 W9 D4 L10 Pts 31

That put us 16th in the home form table.

For comparison, in our previous seasons in The Championship, we got the following points
08/09 32
09/10 34
10/11 30
11/12 20

All things considered, our home form under Dickov has been alright. It was our away form that sent us down last year.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on September 02, 2014, 11:58:41 am by dickos1 »
That pretty much shut everyone up billy

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on September 02, 2014, 12:33:10 pm by Alan Southstand »
If you think that reading statistics makes up for a completely inept display as was witnessed on Saturday, then you must be barking!

PD seems to have a mental block when it comes to home strategy. And it doesn't end there, when we go a goal down, it just seems to go completely t1ts up and the players seem as if they don't have it in them to fight back and wrestle the impetus back. That seems to me to be something that either isn't worked on and spoken about OR, if it is, the message is not getting through.

The underlying problem for the Club, of course, is that the support base will dwindle away and the 'sustainability' figures will get worse. This is where the sustainable club idea tends to fall down. Its OK whilst we're 'holding our own' and keeping the fans interested, but a few bad performances (and they've already been in evidence in just 3 games at home) and it all crumbles, the cloth is cut again and we go even further backward than we already have.

Something, eventually (hopefully), has to give.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on September 02, 2014, 02:23:57 pm by BRMC_rover »

Dowie, Coyle, Curbs, Billy Davies, Terry Butcher, Zola, Steve Clarke, Steve Coppell, Bob Bradley, Zola, Strachan, Sherwood, Neil Lennon, Paul Jewell, Keegan, Chris Hughton, Laudrup, Andy Parkinson, Di Matteo, Steve Keen, Malky Mackay, Ray Wilkins, McDermott, Tony Mowbray, Martin O'Neill, Peter Reid, Trevor Brooking, Mark Robins and probably me and Clive Woodward.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on September 02, 2014, 02:35:22 pm by Filo »

Dowie, Coyle, Curbs, Billy Davies, Terry Butcher, Zola, Steve Clarke, Steve Coppell, Bob Bradley, Zola, Strachan, Sherwood, Neil Lennon, Paul Jewell, Keegan, Chris Hughton, Laudrup, Andy Parkinson, Di Matteo, Steve Keen, Malky Mackay, Ray Wilkins, McDermott, Tony Mowbray, Martin O'Neill, Peter Reid, Trevor Brooking, Mark Robins and probably me and Clive Woodward.

I assume one of the Zola's is Gianfranco, who is the other one? ;)

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on September 02, 2014, 02:44:46 pm by nortikorner »
Dowie, Coyle, Curbs, Billy Davies, Terry Butcher, Zola, Steve Clarke, Steve Coppell, Bob Bradley, Zola, Strachan, Sherwood, Neil Lennon, Paul Jewell, Keegan, Chris Hughton, Laudrup, Andy Parkinson, Di Matteo, Steve Keen, Malky Mackay, Ray Wilkins, McDermott, Tony Mowbray, Martin O'Neill, Peter Reid, Trevor Brooking, Mark Robins and probably me and Clive Woodward.   WHAT ON THE BUDGET DICKOV RECEIVED  dont think so

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on September 02, 2014, 02:54:36 pm by BRMC_rover »
Most of those names are used to working on a small budget. The only ones that would be likely to get frustrated at their funds available would be Robnis (done it already at Dingles and Hudds), Tony Mowbray, Billy Davies and maybe Coyle. Davies is however, renowned as a great man manager, getting the best out of his players and would easily get our midfield and forwards playing to their potential. Terry Butcher is used to working with a bag of dried figs as a budget. Steve Coppell is also and is very well connected.

Calvin Zola is probably on par with Dickov, Filo. Time will tell. ( :

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on September 02, 2014, 03:22:04 pm by RJHeader »

Line through - recently been linked with Prem jobs = No Chance
In Red - Too old and past it. Not worth replacing a young Dickov with.

Which leaves.... Dowie, Butcher, Jewell, Parkinson, McDermott, Robins.  :headbang:

Out of them who do you realistically, want to replace Dickov with?

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on September 02, 2014, 03:36:35 pm by BRMC_rover »
No one ideally. Id like to see Dickov show what a good manager he is. That would mean us being at the right end of the table. But after the Port Vale and Oldham displays, something needs to be addressed and im not sure he has the answer. Were too good for this league but need the tactical edge and guidance to get us firing. People say he has a big task after an uncertain summer, but is this team any worse, and are the competition any better than our last season in league One?

Dowie, Parkinson and McDermott would be viable and suitable alternatives if a change was made.

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on September 02, 2014, 03:41:50 pm by les@donr »
I think a lot of last season's problems have resurfaced this season. Still I would give Dickov time to prove what he is doing does work, at least 10 League games, then start evaluating his performance.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on September 02, 2014, 03:45:47 pm by Dare to dream! »
Said at the end of last season Chris Powell. Experience of getting out this league, experience of the champ and favours youth

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on September 02, 2014, 04:13:59 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
No one ideally. Id like to see Dickov show what a good manager he is. That would mean us being at the right end of the table. But after the Port Vale and Oldham displays, something needs to be addressed and im not sure he has the answer. Were too good for this league but need the tactical edge and guidance to get us firing. People say he has a big task after an uncertain summer, but is this team any worse, and are the competition any better than our last season in league One?

Dowie, Parkinson and McDermott would be viable and suitable alternatives if a change was made.

I disagree, we're consistently inconsistent. We need a prolific goalscorer who is able to play off Forrester and our defence is very weak. We need a solid, young, injury free centre back along with Luke McCullough (who is inconsistent) and a full back who has an end product e.g. a decent cross which can beat the first man.

I'm going to predict a finish between 8th and 12th for us this season and Dickov will still be our manager next year unless he leaves for bigger & better (like Saunders).

My opinion of course.

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on September 02, 2014, 04:20:02 pm by DonnyRTID »
Powell's being linked with Huddersfield.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on September 02, 2014, 04:20:51 pm by DonnyNoel »

I disagree, we're consistently inconsistent. We need a prolific goalscorer who is able to play off Forrester and our defence is very weak. We need a solid, young, injury free centre back along with Luke McCullough (who is inconsistent) and a full back who has an end product e.g. a decent cross which can beat the first man.

I'm going to predict a finish between 8th and 12th for us this season and Dickov will still be our manager next year unless he leaves for bigger & better (like Saunders).

My opinion of course.

I don't think you'll be far wrong unless we get either an injury to RW or HF or some spectacular loan signing.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on September 02, 2014, 04:22:04 pm by BRMC_rover »

My opinion of course.
My opinion of course.

So Dickov to still be with us next season then.

CraigyBoy

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on September 02, 2014, 06:44:40 pm by CraigyBoy »
The problem Rovers will have all season is the central defense. At the moment it's poo. We have a great midfield, decent forwards, and pretty good full backs, but the central defense seems to have been overlooked. Last time in this league it was brilliant - and was almost directly responsible for our promotion - this time it's pathetic.

Dickov should shoulder some blame for it.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on September 02, 2014, 06:49:17 pm by dickos1 »
We still have the same centre halves as we had two years ago though

walter the red

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on September 02, 2014, 07:13:03 pm by walter the red »
Paul Jewell could be a good shout as manager in this league,though possibly he has been out of work too long now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on September 02, 2014, 07:24:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Dickov does take responsibility. He admitted he may be should have brought fresh legs in for the Oldham game however, just as many of us suggested on here, he should stick with the same line up as Tuesday. Except he brought Rob Jones back.

No one could have predicted after 2 good wins, the performance throughout the team would have been that poor after we'd seen better performances and a system that seemed to work much better. He played the same system, but the execution let us down.

In hindsight it's easy to say we should have brought Forrester and Wellens in but I don't begrudge the man the right to play the same winning team.

Beyond that, I too question the merit of making 3 subs when he did rather than make 2 changes at half time however, we don't know what was said at half time. May be he was convinced by the players they would go out and put it right in the second half. Only now, he may be thinking he should have been more ruthless.

It's a judgement call and we don't know half of what goes on behind  dressing room doors. Like all managers he will be judged on results and after he's suffered some upheaval beyond his control, it is now up to him to get the show back on the road.

Too early to be pushing the button.   

TinyPortal © 2005-2012