Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:44:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Positive stuff from Wellens  (Read 7373 times)

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
Re: Positive stuff from Wellens
« Reply #30 on September 20, 2014, 09:28:19 am by mrfrostsdad »
So, where does this leave Keegan then? He's not good enough to lace Wellens boots

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 20, 2014, 09:34:24 am by Filo »
So, where does this leave Keegan then? He's not good enough to lace Wellens boots

No one is questioning his ability, it's his attitude and application that's in question

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 20, 2014, 09:52:46 am by bpoolrover »
Filo you have said tackle against Birmingham in 1 match have you any other examples

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 20, 2014, 10:02:24 am by Wellred »
I agree too Neil/Hoola/Filo

Is this a typo Lol!

:) :) :)

I do agree with you sometimes..............not very often but heh lol

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 20, 2014, 10:07:58 am by Filo »
Filo you have said tackle against Birmingham in 1 match have you any other examples

Actually it was n't a tackle, just a step aside, at a stage of the season where we needed 100% commitment, it's been documented since that he declared himself fit when clearly he was n't, that in it's self is a selfish act, but once you've declared yourself fit you should be prepared to put your body on the line, in that instance he clearly decided that he did n't want to do that. Like I said earlier, it's his attitude and application thats in question when the going gets tough

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on September 20, 2014, 10:14:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Filo

It was the Reading match. It was a quite pathetic chucking in of the cards. In fairness, he wasn't fully fit and Dickov should never have even had him on the bench, never mind chucked him on when we were still on level terms.

I agree with both sides here. Wellens is a supremely talented player who can dominate matches. His display at home to QPR last year was a Masterclass. But he is hit and miss. He has often gone missing when we've needed a senior pro to grab the team by the scruff of the neck. If he can play that role this season and galvanise this squad, it'll be as big an achievement as any in his career. Because he's never yet struck me as the sort of player that you'd look to as the one you want at the side of you when you're in the shit. He might put in a sumptuous performance. He might put in an anonymous one. At senior pro level, I'm looking for solid consistency, reliability and setting standards for the kids. I'm yet to see Wellens take on that mantle.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 20, 2014, 10:28:20 am by Filo »
Filo

It was the Reading match. It was a quite pathetic chucking in of the cards. In fairness, he wasn't fully fit and Dickov should never have even had him on the bench, never mind chucked him on when we were still on level terms.

I agree with both sides here. Wellens is a supremely talented player who can dominate matches. His display at home to QPR last year was a Masterclass. But he is hit and miss. He has often gone missing when we've needed a senior pro to grab the team by the scruff of the neck. If he can play that role this season and galvanise this squad, it'll be as big an achievement as any in his career. Because he's never yet struck me as the sort of player that you'd look to as the one you want at the side of you when you're in the shit. He might put in a sumptuous performance. He might put in an anonymous one. At senior pro level, I'm looking for solid consistency, reliability and setting standards for the kids. I'm yet to see Wellens take on that mantle.

I stand corrected on the match, and as I said his abilty is not in question, as you say against QPR he was something else, Giving Barton the runaround, it's no coincidence that QPR were sniffing around him at that time, he put the extra effort in to try and get a move, that extra effort should also have been applied when the chips were down, it was n't, what does that tell you?

Sheepskin Stu

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on September 20, 2014, 10:28:57 am by Sheepskin Stu »
Probably why he's never played at the highest level.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 20, 2014, 10:33:15 am by dickos1 »
One example in probably around 200 games... Ain't worth anything.
Even messi n Ronaldo make mistakes ya know. His performances last year were very good, it's ridiculous to start getting on his back after a couple of not so good performances this year. But it was always going to be the case after what he said, people who were unhappy with that were always going to be hard to please this year.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on September 20, 2014, 10:46:28 am by Bentley Bullet »
Wellens and Coppinger were head and shoulders above the rest of the team against Crawley. It must be so frustrating for them to play out their twilight years with such inadequate team mates, especially after all the effort they put into getting us in the Championship.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 20, 2014, 11:03:20 am by steve@dcfd »
I agree in most parts with Billy but when Richie at his best which he was most times last year he makes others tick, he always as,but he is not up to speed yet. The Reading substitution was a wrong decision by PD, Richie was not fit yet he put him on in a 442 formation when we where drawing. If he wanted to add his creativity but kept the stability he should have taken off a striker left Furman on to act as a shield with Keegan leaving Richie to link up with the other attacking players.

There is no doubt for me Coppinger plays better when he has players around him who can play football. The problem going forward at the moment either for Richie, Copps and Forrester is the two strikers at present are runners their passing game is poor. Therefore link up play is not good enough.

Going back to Richie and Copps neither score enough goals at any level, to showcase their skills better.

What Richie said in the previous interview was not derogatory about the club, fans. But it did not tow the party line and a lot do not accept that, although what he said IMO was the truth about the club.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:14:51 am by steve@dcfd »

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 20, 2014, 12:15:10 pm by DonnyNoel »
Wellens and Coppinger were head and shoulders above the rest of the team against Crawley. It must be so frustrating for them to play out their twilight years with such inadequate team mates, especially after all the effort they put into getting us in the Championship.

Said that to my mate. Those two are the only two that link up and show any cohesion in our team (excluding Forrester). Everyone else just seems to run around doing their own thing and offering little going forward.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 20, 2014, 12:16:53 pm by dickos1 »
Usually I'd agree but I thought Bennett was very good on Tuesday

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 20, 2014, 12:32:02 pm by goalkick »
Agree Bennett was better.cant see what can be done with the players Dickov has at his disposal.just look at the players on the bench Tuesday night.

neil grainger

« Reply #44 on September 20, 2014, 09:41:15 pm by neil grainger »
I have to come back on this thread and say what a superb performance Wellens put in today.

That was RW at his best....prompting, probing, passing with accuracy, holding the ball when we needed a calm head... and his link-up play with our other 'veteran', Copps, was a delight to watch.
It's as though they have a telepathic understanding at times, and when they interchange passes in tight areas near the corner flag, running down the minutes, I find myself thinking "Just let these two have the ball for the last 10 minutes!"

What a cracking game of football that was today. Credit due to both teams, and credit due to Wellens.

Dickov obviously showed Richie my comments on here in order to motivate him.....  ;)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 20, 2014, 09:45:58 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think I should get the credit for yet another fabulous display from the dynamic duo. I reckon they were inspired by my post above!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 20, 2014, 10:13:22 pm by bpoolrover »
Good post Neil

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 21, 2014, 06:38:38 am by Lifelong supporter »
Well done Neil, an honest appraisal of the situation.

That's the spirit SM.
Pity you can't back some players in the same way you always back the board.
As you are so close to GB, TB etc can we take it that is their view as well?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 21, 2014, 10:40:22 am by silent majority »
Well done Neil, an honest appraisal of the situation.
That's the spirit SM.
Pity you can't back some players in the same way you always back the board.
As you are so close to GB, TB etc can we take it that is their view as well?

It's a personal opinion Lifelong.

I happen to back most people who are employed at DRFC, it's those who are intent on doing the club harm that I reserve my contempt for.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 21, 2014, 11:18:13 am by The Red Baron »

Surely if they intend to stay in the game in some capacity, particularly coaching, they would see it as a challenge to work with their team mates and help them improve?

Someone like Kyle Bennett could learn a lot from Copps. Maybe he is learning and that explains why he's been a better player this season.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 21, 2014, 12:12:12 pm by Bentley Bullet »
From what I've been told Kyle has been a better player this season because he has settled down, grown up a bit, and stopped knocking about with certain knobheads.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 21, 2014, 01:30:26 pm by bpoolrover »
Don't think rw is intent on causing any harm to rovers,he obviously was unhappy at certain things and maybe should not have said it in public but it's worked out alright in the end

RJHeader

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on September 21, 2014, 01:53:54 pm by RJHeader »
Wellens was always gonna get stick after he slated the club post season. Some people dont like hearing the truth about the club, and some of what he said was truth.

Wellens on his day, is absolutely class. Filo for you to take the Reading game example from the last season to back up your point is ludicrous. He was one of, if not, the best player last season. And if he hadn't had slated the club post season then i very much doubt you'd be slating his one mistake

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on September 21, 2014, 02:06:05 pm by Filo »
Wellens was always gonna get stick after he slated the club post season. Some people dont like hearing the truth about the club, and some of what he said was truth.

Wellens on his day, is absolutely class. Filo for you to take the Reading game example from the last season to back up your point is ludicrous. He was one of, if not, the best player last season. And if he hadn't had slated the club post season then i very much doubt you'd be slating his one mistake

As I've stated, I'm not questioning his ability, he played well yesterday and looks like he's getting back to his best, however his attitude toward the club close season was shite, you're correct if he had n't gone public with his selfish reasons we would n't be having this debate, but he did go public, and that makes all the difference, Richie Wellens is not bigger than DRFC

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 21, 2014, 02:08:00 pm by silent majority »
Don't think rw is intent on causing any harm to rovers,he obviously was unhappy at certain things and maybe should not have said it in public but it's worked out alright in the end

I didn't say he did, my comment was aimed at Lifelong picking away at my comments by making inferences that don't exist. To suggest that anything I post must be the thoughts of GB and TB is quite frankly ludicrous.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 21, 2014, 02:09:27 pm by bpoolrover »
Oh right sorry

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 21, 2014, 04:41:46 pm by GazLaz »
From what I've been told Kyle has been a better player this season because he has settled down, grown up a bit, and stopped knocking about with certain knobheads.

He's playing well because his contract is up soon.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012