Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 10:10:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brian McDermott  (Read 16563 times)

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Brian McDermott
« Reply #30 on September 29, 2014, 01:18:06 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Gents
I am not questioning anyone's right to have an opinion at all. What I am saying is when is the right time to ask for change? PD has been dealt a hand and he accepted it. He honestly thought a better set of cards was coming his way, I believe.
I love to chat and listen to others opinion as much as the next bloke. There are times we have to accept it's our turn  for some rough times. Hopefully it's short and sweet, but time will tell.
Why PD changed a winning team then only he can answer and then we can judge his response.
Neither am I judging anyone's loyalty to the team. It's just now is the time to get behind the team. That I feel certain we all agree on.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 30, 2014, 08:50:51 pm by les@donr »
If we lose at Scunny PD has to go, they will be putting out a threadbare team due to injuries. They'll be no excuses PD will be able to make as Rovers will be playing a team in a worse state than our own.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 30, 2014, 10:05:20 pm by Lifelong supporter »

Main's absence has been a big loss for us, and don't forget we had Jones and Tyson out the last game.
We've had loads of inexperienced kids on the bench all season and PD just doesn't have anyone to turn to if he wants to make changes and shake up the team.
There seems to be a deafening silence from the club as to when Main and Jones will be back and whether or not the funds are there to bring loan signings in.
What's the point of IRWT when there is such a lack of information from the club and the fans are treated badly?
When is the new chairman going to tell us of his hopes and aspirations for the club and become more publicity savvy?
When will we be told how much of the profit the stadium is making is being put into the playing budget?
Or whether Sheffield Eagles will be playing at the Keepmoat next season, and how much they will pay for the privilege?
Dickov is getting all the flak at the moment but don't let's kid ourselves that everything in the garden elsewhere is rosy.
I just hope he gets a fair crack of the whip and the backing to show whether he can be a successful manager or not.
Although, if it's all about sustainability then just staying in the division and sustaining our position should be good enough for the owners this season.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 30, 2014, 10:07:59 pm by BobG »
Do you enjoy stirring shit Lifelong? What sort of a life have you led?

BobG

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 30, 2014, 10:28:20 pm by Lifelong supporter »

So everyone can make a comment on here...valid or otherwise.
But when I do I'm accused of stirring.
I can only apologise.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 01, 2014, 11:00:22 am by mrfrostsdad »
Well, we know Main is back in training and may be included in the squad this weekend, because it's been on the official site. Whether he is the answer or not, I don't know. I've only seen him the once and he didn't have a kick.
Lifelong, I don't think Jones is going to be much more of a bit part player for us this year. Unfortunately I don't think his body will do it any more. I also think with him and McCombe at the back we'll get murdered with anyone who plays the ball on the floor.

I agree the chairman is anonymous. So much so I can't even remember his name and he's only been chairman a few weeks. We were fortunate, in my opinion, to have JR as chairman for so long. I only wish he had the money TB has.

As for giving PD a fair crack of the whip, personally I think he had that last season. But that's my opinion and if you don't agree, that's no problem

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on October 01, 2014, 11:16:59 am by DearneValleyRover »
For me Main isn't the answer to the real problem its the defence including the keeper. We need an experienced Keeper a left back and a centre half the problem is everyone bar PD can see it.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 01, 2014, 11:40:09 am by Lifelong supporter »
Thanks mrfrostsdad.
It's nice to get a considered and sane response.
I don't agree actually but I don't have a problem at all with you having a different opinion either.
I just think PD was fighting a losing battle from the start last season because of the on/off takeover talks which meant he didn't really know what his budget was going to be until the last minute.
I think he did a reasonable job in keeping our heads above water for the most part with what was really a below average Championship squad ability wise, and it looked as if we may stay up until the late collapse.
How much he was to blame for that and how much was the players' fault is hard to estimate.
And then he was blighted with the same problem this summer.
We've played less than a fifth of the league season so far and I thing it's too early to judge.
But I don't agree with some who think we've got a decent League 1 squad.
We haven't - especially if we lose one or two key members of the side.
And relying on kids who I don't believe are going to be good enough is not a recipe for success either.
It could be said that Dickov has done well to get performances like the Chesterfield game out of the team and not the other way round.
It all depends how good you judge the wafer thin squad to be.
But he will only get a fair crack of the whip in my opinion if he has a trouble free pre-season to prepare and a little bit more than 'sustainability' backing from the Board.   

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 01, 2014, 11:45:23 am by Lifelong supporter »
For me Main isn't the answer to the real problem its the defence including the keeper. We need an experienced Keeper a left back and a centre half the problem is everyone bar PD can see it.

I agree.
But if we have someone up there who can make the ball stick a bit more it will take some of the pressure off the defence.
Having said that I couldn't agree more that the defence needs improving and I doubt whether PD needs it pointing out.
But have we got the funds to do that?

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 01, 2014, 12:32:22 pm by DRNaith »

I agree.
But if we have someone up there who can make the ball stick a bit more it will take some of the pressure off the defence.
Having said that I couldn't agree more that the defence needs improving and I doubt whether PD needs it pointing out.

PD has said that funds are available to dip into the loan market if he feels there is a need

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 01, 2014, 12:36:35 pm by mrfrostsdad »
And if he doesn't feel there is a need, then he is seriously deluded

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 01, 2014, 12:44:53 pm by DRNaith »
Tricky one that, I wonder if the players would be good enough in another team.

You have players' abilities and the manager's ability and, hopefully, when this combines you get a good enough performance.

Could we just have the same issue with different players? I honestly don't know.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on October 01, 2014, 01:06:34 pm by Dagenham Rover »

It could be said that Dickov has done well to get performances like the Chesterfield game out of the team and not the other way round.

Interesting way round of looking at it, I don't think many would have looked at it that way round I certainly didn't

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on October 01, 2014, 01:13:35 pm by DearneValleyRover »

He keeps saying that he's happy with what he has so I feel he is deluded.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 01, 2014, 06:20:11 pm by Lifelong supporter »

I agree.

PD has said that funds are available to dip into the loan market if he feels there is a need

Don't know when he said that but I heard he told someone recently that there wasn't.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 01, 2014, 06:24:18 pm by Lifelong supporter »

He keeps saying that he's happy with what he has so I feel he is deluded.

But what exactly is he supposed to say DVR?
If he's stuck with the squad and can't bring others in he can hardly start slagging them off too much in public.
I can't believe anyone would think he is happy with what he's got - irrespective of what he or anyone else says - and that he wouldn't strengthen if he could.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 01, 2014, 06:42:48 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I don't expect him to slag off the players but it would be far easier to say he is looking at strengthening than deny there is no probem. In respect to money for loans it was stated at the meet the owners event and by PD on more than one occasion that there is.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on October 01, 2014, 06:48:57 pm by The Red Baron »
I don't expect him to slag off the players but it would be far easier to say he is looking at strengthening than deny there is no probem. In respect to money for loans it was stated at the meet the owners event and by PD on more than one occasion that there is.

Wouldn't it get the players on their toes if they thought a bit of competition was coming in?

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on October 01, 2014, 07:12:26 pm by Lifelong supporter »

Perhaps that question would be best addressed to the Board.

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 01, 2014, 08:35:00 pm by southwestexile »

One very impressive thing about the set up under Dickov is how there's been little in the way of leaks on signings.  Everything is done behind closed doors which is very tough to achieve.  There's clearly a lot of respect and a good team ethos with the back room staff.  He may well be looking at loaners to bolster the defence but if he broadcasts it we'll be hot with by the Dingle spy network.

walter the red

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 01, 2014, 09:10:26 pm by walter the red »
I honestly feel that an answer to the Dickov problem is to dispense with Brian Horton as assistant coach (who is as useful as a chocolate teapot )
Replace him with a younger more active coach who i am sure could combine with PD and help him in training and tactics (if PD could accept that )-Big Rob would not be the answer.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 02, 2014, 02:32:43 am by Sammy Chung was King »
IT Would be nice if we didn't continually have to hear Paul having to explain away week after week why it hasn't worked,he has had some good results,but overall the bad outweigh the good so far.
Main is the best of the strikers we have,he will improve things,but we need some genuine pressure on the bench,a young striker who is desperate to get in the side.

I Do think we will win this one,but even if we do,it papers over weaknesses that need sorting out,a good manager makes the big decisions,McCombe and Jones would be back up till we get better,put Wakefield in at the side of McCullough.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on October 02, 2014, 04:40:02 am by PDX_Rover »
I don't think we've seen enough of Main to say that he's not the answer. That's foolish. He seems bright to me and gives us some oomph up front.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on October 02, 2014, 08:08:24 am by Wild Rover »
STUPID Question I guess, but none the less I will ask as someone will know.

What reasonably would be the amount of money needed for a loan player.
is it 30% of his salary, 40%, 50, all of it, None of it?.
Is there a "Lump sum" payable as a loan fee?( On to of % Salary )

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on October 02, 2014, 08:41:20 am by DRNaith »

I believe it varies massively depending on many factors such as the reason the loaning club want the player out on loan and the benefits to either club.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 02, 2014, 09:41:45 am by BRMC_rover »

Teams like Man City, United etc are usually happy to send for no fee, and still cover their wages, as generally, Youth teamers and reserve players are on wages that are a drop in the Ocean in comparison to the rest of the clubs wage bill, whilst it of course offers the young player development opportunities and first team action.

Clubs that are closer to our size in footballing terms would usually negotiate a fee and wage proportion to help with operating costs but it all depends on the circumstances of the player and as Naith says, reason for loaning the player. Disruptive players or those that are being put in the shop window = cheap, ones where we may need them more than the parent club need to loan them, would usually command a larger outlay.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on October 02, 2014, 11:37:51 am by ravenrover »
I honestly feel that an answer to the Dickov problem is to dispense with Brian Horton as assistant coach (who is as useful as a chocolate teapot )
Replace him with a younger more active coach who i am sure could combine with PD and help him in training and tactics (if PD could accept that )-Big Rob would not be the answer.
Now don't be saying things like that, I've enjoyed Mr Hortons hospitality a couple of times this season by being invited into his box.  :thumbsup: My brother in law knows someone who knows someone who knows BH, if the box isn't full they can bring their friends along! I am a STH as well by the way.

DonnyRTID

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on October 02, 2014, 11:43:51 am by DonnyRTID »
It's obvious Dickov has no funds available, he's stated in many interviews that he'd go cap in hand to the board if needs be.

BRMC_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 02, 2014, 11:49:18 am by BRMC_rover »
It's obvious Dickov has no funds available, he's stated in many interviews that he'd go cap in hand to the board if needs be.

Well then he needs to be calling on some of the big clubs and explaining that the pot he had in the corner of his office, to piss in, has now also been removed, and that anyone ready for first team action in Lg1, who wont require a proportion of wages and fee's covering, are very welcome to help fix our dire situation (and his job).

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on October 02, 2014, 11:52:36 am by Filo »

People were saying the same thing when it looked like Coppinger and Wellens were going elsewhere!

And don't go saying getting rid of Quinn paid for those two, Quinn would probably have been the least paid out of the three

TinyPortal © 2005-2012