Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:19:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Labour promises support for Supporters Trusts  (Read 2471 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Labour promises support for Supporters Trusts
« on October 17, 2014, 09:55:11 am by silent majority »
All the political parties are now getting their act together and making promises for football supporters, but the Labour Party will give direct support for Supporters Trusts;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29652317

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Labour promises support for Supporters Trusts
« Reply #1 on October 17, 2014, 10:18:51 am by GazLaz »
Empty promises. Why should billionaire's listen to politicians about how to run their business??

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 17, 2014, 10:25:10 am by The Red Baron »
Sounds like a potential legislative minefield. How do you distinguish football clubs from other businesses? And if football clubs are then made a "special case," couldn't they then start asking for exemptions/ exceptions to other legislation that applies to companies?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 17, 2014, 10:34:56 am by silent majority »
Empty promises. Why should billionaire's listen to politicians about how to run their business??

I doubt it Gaz, when I met him he was extremely determined to see this through. You have to understand that this has been going on for years and all the consultation documents have produced results, some more so than others, but they do have consequences. The FSF are meeting him again today in Manchester.

Following on from that were meeting with the Conservatives next week as they have set up the 'Expert' working group, which again came out of the Select Comiittee reports.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on October 17, 2014, 10:35:43 am by silent majority »
Sounds like a potential legislative minefield. How do you distinguish football clubs from other businesses? And if football clubs are then made a "special case," couldn't they then start asking for exemptions/ exceptions to other legislation that applies to companies?

It seems to work perfectly well in Germany though RB.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 17, 2014, 10:53:52 am by silent majority »
Labour will today (Friday) unveil plans to give football fans a voice in every boardroom and buy a significant slice of the shares when the ownership of their club changes.

Clive Efford MP, Labour’s Shadow Sports Minister, will launch the proposals for the biggest legislative shake-up in the governance of English and Welsh football clubs since the advent of the game.

The plan, which has been drawn up in consultation with 95 football supporters’ organisations, would require supporters to come together to form a single accredited trust in return for the right to:

appoint and remove up to a quarter and not less than two of a football club’s board of directors;
purchase up to 10 per cent of the shares when a club changes ownership, if they so wish.

Supporters have told us that this is the only way to ensure those running clubs share information, power and responsibility with them. Labour's proposals mean fans  could hold the owners of their club to account on all issues on and off the field including ticket prices, shirt sponsorship, ground naming rights, and changing the colour of the strip or the name.

Labour will now consult further on the detail of these proposals with supporters.

Clive Efford MP, Shadow Sports Minister said:

“Too often fans are treated like an after-thought as ticket prices are hiked-up, grounds re-located and clubs burdened with debt or the threat of bankruptcy.  Only this week, the BBC’s Price of football survey showed how average prices have risen at almost twice the rate of the cost of living since 2011. We have reached a tipping point in the way football is run.

“The Labour Party has listened to the views of fans about changing the way football is run in England and Wales. And we want to ensure they are heard by the owners of the clubs too.  We will now consult further on proposals to enshrine on the statute books the idea that football have a special place in people’s hearts – and should be the heart of our communities.”

Jon Cruddas MP, head of Labour’s Policy Review, said:

“The Premier League is a huge success. But football is more than a business. Football clubs are part of people’s identity and sense of belonging. Our plan is to give fans a stake in their clubs. Labour believes in sharing power and responsibility with people, and giving football fans a voice is part of our plan to change our country by devolving power to our cities,  towns and communities. We believe in a society that gives power to people.”

Background:

In the last two decades English and Welsh football has undergone a transformation in terms of its commercial success, and in the quality of football and the experience of the spectator.

The Premier League is a hugely successful product, both in footballing terms, but also commercially. But football is more than a business: football clubs are rooted in people’s communities and they are an important part of many people’s identity and sense of belonging. They also have a vital function to play in local economies.

Despite their importance in the lives and communities of their supporters there are no effective means for fans to have a say in how their clubs are run or to safeguard their long term interests.

This lack of accountability has led to:
Supporters’ interests and identity being ignored: from clubs being relocated away from fan-bases (Coventry) to team colours and names being changed to satisfy traditions on the other side of the globe (Cardiff, Hull);
Debt and insolvency: which have seen some of our oldest football clubs (Portsmouth, Leeds, Birmingham) forced into administration. 36 football league clubs (exactly half the total number of members) have gone into administration since 1992;
Unsustainably high ticket prices: despite record turnover, average ticket prices in England and Wales remain amongst the highest in Europe - only this week, the BBC’s Price of football survey showed how average prices have risen at almost twice the rate of the cost of living since 2011.

Policy detail:

Right to appoint up to a quarter or a minimum of two of the directors

Labour would legislate to give a legally enforceable right to the Supporters Trust to appoint and remove up to one quarter and not less than two of the members of the Board of Directors.

This would be underpinned by the right to obtain (under an obligation of confidentiality) financial and commercial information about the business and affairs of a football club.

Supporters would not be able to block takeovers or change corporate strategy.

The option of up to 10 per cent of share ownership

The buyer acquiring control of the club (defined at a 30 per cent level) would be required to offer the Supporters Trust up to ten per cent of the shares they were buying in that transaction at the average price paid by the buyer for relevant securities in the year proceeding the change of control. That offer would be open for acceptance for not less than 240 days but the completion of the change in control could happen in the meantime.

This automatic option would be capped once a Trust had acquired 10 per cent of the club’s shares, though that would not prevent the Trust from buying more shares if it wanted.

Accredited Supporters’ Trusts

The legislation would contain provisions requiring Supporters Trusts to become Industrial and Provident Societies. They would be accredited to an umbrella body and would be required to meet certain governance standards, including a compliant constitution, the election of a Board with one member one vote, and provision for membership fees.

The umbrella body would be required to offer training to supporters before taking up positions on Boards.

We have received expert legal advice that these reforms are compatible with European law

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/100193817909/labour-putting-fans-at-the-heart-of-footballs-future
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:27:21 pm by Filo »

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 17, 2014, 11:02:48 am by LincsRover »
My prediction - nothing to do with supporters owning clubs though - this topic will inspire certain individuals to become involved in a political wind up debate and be moved to off topic. You wait & see!

:facepalm:

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 17, 2014, 11:28:08 am by RedRover45 »
SM

While I absolutely agree entirely with the content of your post, may I play devils advocate ?

Do you not think any rich individuals that want to plough money into a club irrespective of which club, might now think that "why should a supporters group have the power to kick me out of the club when I'm putting all my money into it" and therefore that money might be lost to the game ?

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 17, 2014, 12:00:24 pm by Wild Rover »
Is it not "only" allowing "Supporters" 10% of shareholding, effectively 10% of feck All. The voice may be there, but wont be heard unless the 90% man wishes to hear .

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 17, 2014, 12:04:21 pm by bobjimwilly »
Is it not "only" allowing "Supporters" 10% of shareholding, effectively 10% of feck All. The voice may be there, but wont be heard unless the 90% man wishes to hear .

The supporters rep on the board would have insider knowledge though WR that they currently don't have, and would be able to be proactive if any action were needed, for whatever reason, rather than re-active. And with clubs no longer being able to hide dodgy decision making from the fans, it might convince them to run their clubs better than they are doing now. Even if the majority share holders could still make decisions without supporter approval, not many want the supporters on their backs if they can avoid it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:22:35 pm by bobjimwilly »

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 17, 2014, 12:08:47 pm by Wild Rover »
I really don't see it will make a significant difference. Did Andy make a big difference to DRFC. Once his "Useful" period was passed he was effectively cold shouldered.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 17, 2014, 12:48:34 pm by wing commander »
A rare decent policy from dismal Ed and the labour party..Sadly it's not worth risking sending the country bust over..So wont be voting for them...

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 17, 2014, 12:50:30 pm by silent majority »
SM

While I absolutely agree entirely with the content of your post, may I play devils advocate ?

Do you not think any rich individuals that want to plough money into a club irrespective of which club, might now think that "why should a supporters group have the power to kick me out of the club when I'm putting all my money into it" and therefore that money might be lost to the game ?

The response from the footbal league is quite similar but borders on the naive as well.

What they are saying, in effect, is that football is a loss making industry and therefore supporter directors shouldn't be subject to those losses. So, to put it bluntly, we're making a balls up of running this game so we should be allowed to carry on making a balls up of it.

That belies the fact that some of the best run clubs in this country are supporter owned. Portsmouth, after all their troubles, have paid off all their debt and we recently voted the best run club in the FL.

I'm not suggesting that these proposals are the answer, but do people think we should just ignore the troubles of our game and allow things to continue as they are?

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on October 17, 2014, 12:52:23 pm by bedale rover »
According to the guardian labour has spoken to the European courts to ensure that this can't be overturned
As SM says this has been building for a while and all parties want to get football fans onside
We may even get a national side to be proud of

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 17, 2014, 12:56:58 pm by silent majority »
A rare decent policy from dismal Ed and the labour party..Sadly it's not worth risking sending the country bust over..So wont be voting for them...

That's OK Kev, but so long as all parties are attempting to woo the football supporter makes me happy. The Lib Dems are supporting our position on standing, the Tories are meeting us next week to discuss these issues too, plus we're in Manchester with Clive Efford this afternoon. Our opinions have never been so important as they are right now.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 17, 2014, 12:59:56 pm by The Red Baron »

That's OK Kev, but so long as all parties are attempting to woo the football supporter makes me happy. The Lib Dems are supporting our position on standing, the Tories are meeting us next week to discuss these issues too, plus we're in Manchester with Clive Efford this afternoon. Our opinions have never been so important as they are right now.

That's what is needed really- a decent consensus being built among politicians of all parties.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 17, 2014, 01:04:28 pm by bpoolrover »
Good work sm

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 17, 2014, 01:16:52 pm by GazLaz »
Labour won't get in so it's irrelevant.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 17, 2014, 01:40:19 pm by Colin C No.3 »
who wood u hav as prime minster

GM-MarkB

« Reply #19 on October 17, 2014, 03:21:46 pm by GM-MarkB »
I'm surprised 'Mick' hasn't jumped all over this seeing as it's a Labour initiative....

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 17, 2014, 05:25:58 pm by wilts rover »
I'm surprised 'Mick' hasn't jumped all over this seeing as it's a Labour initiative....
................and half the clubs are run by 'foriegners'...

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 18, 2014, 12:38:40 am by BobG »
This has been building for 15 years at the absolute minimum. I went on a lobby of Parliament back in 1998 or 99. When we were in the poo anyway. We met several extremely interesting people, including the then Labour Minister of Sport. And he was absolutely categorical. It was the time when the 'fit and proper persons' test was being introduced and he said that if the football authorities didn't get it right, there would be legislation. Well, the footy gnomes have had their chance. It's had long enough to be a decent trial. And they've failed. They were warned plenty loud enough. Now I hope they get legislated out of existance. Lol. Really, I hope they're neutered.

I ought to add that it was the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats who took an interest. The Toffs, of course, couldn't give a shit beyond protecting their next million or two.

BobG

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 18, 2014, 01:20:36 am by Mr1Croft »
The Coalition Programme from 4 years ago:

"We will encourage the reform of football governance rules to support the Co-operative ownership of football clubs by supporters"

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/78977/coalition_programme_for_government.pdf

Despite the same noises being made then nothing really ever happened. An CMS Select Committee was formed and wrote an in-depth report about the state of the game and made several recommendations - a little was done by the Authorities and so a follow up report was then published by the Select Committee and recommended the Government to legislate should the Football Authorities not make more progress. The Authorities did little else and the Government ignored this recommendation. That's the problem with Select Committee's then came propose and recommend some of the greatest changes in the world but Government can choose whether or not to listen.

Now I had the pleasure of meeting the Chair of the Committee (John Whittingdale) above a couple of years back and it was clear that this issue was one he felt strongly about, now I don't for one second think these parties make these promised to just ignore them when they get into power, I think it all stops dead because of time - there isn't enough time in Parliament as it is and bills and changes to legislation is very much stretched as it is and is usually allotted on those that the majority of voters will see as a valuable way of spending the Millions of taxpayers money and sadly Football just isn't one of them.

Its not alone in this, quite a large number of draft bills never make it to the first or second reading every parliament purely because they run out of time as not enough is allotted because there are more important issues of the day. Despite the recommendations of the CMS Committee above the Government doesn't want to legislate against the Football authorities now because were too close to an election and it won't win them votes.

As for Labour's proposals they are welcomed and I think they are a great start but such is the nature of our legislative system that I doubt anything will change. It's easy to promise the world when you aren't in power - but much harder to implement it when you are.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 18, 2014, 01:21:45 am by bpoolrover »
I was lead to believe there were nearly as many labour mps that were millionaires as conservatives,I could be wrong thou

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 18, 2014, 09:48:29 am by River Don »

It seems to work perfectly well in Germany though RB.

In Germany they apply the same principle to all business don't they? I think they have workers reps at board level throughout German business, even the likes of BMW.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 18, 2014, 10:20:01 am by silent majority »
Mr1Croft,

And out of that select committee report, and the follow up to it, the current Government stated they would form an Expert Working Group to look at the legislation and hurdles that are delaying fan ownership of football clubs. That group meets next week in Portsmouth.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 21, 2014, 02:39:19 pm by bobjimwilly »
More info on the Supporter Ownership and Engagement Expert Group, meeting next month:
http://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/article/newsitem=3504

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 21, 2014, 04:45:26 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
People criticise Ed Miliband,but i think he is the most trustworthy politician we have,yes he's not fluid on being a good liar,like the rest,but he is a good and decent man.
He has my vote against this cruel lot who are in now,they look after nobody but number one and their rich pals,he may be a public schoolboy,but he cares about people,and tries to help the community he serves,i'm not a fan of many politicians,but for me given time he could be a good leader.
Vote Cameron back in and you will get your Gran,Grandad,mam and dad all losing money,Cameron doesn't care.

Miliband as PM? Heaven help us! He's one of many Labour politicians who exhibit hypocrisy and double standards in excess. He represents a northern seat, yet owns a £2M house in Islington or Hampstead. How often does he have surgeries for his constituents?
And this is a bloke who forgets to mention the economy and immigration in a major party speech!  :facepalm:

And what about the likes of John Prescott? Used to call members of the House of Lords "the vermin in the ermine." And who is he now? Lord Prescott, for heaven's sake!   :sick:

And don't get me started on Gordon Brown. Since the last election he's attended the House of Commons less than a dozen times. Charity work, apparently. But who's representing the interests of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath in his absence?

And, yes, I am more than aware of the failings of MPs of other parties. But Miliband for PM?  :suicide:

(Sorry for the rant. Let's get back to football, eh?)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:01:31 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on October 21, 2014, 05:35:20 pm by Muttley »
People criticise Ed Miliband,but i think he is the most trustworthy politician we have,yes he's not fluid on being a good liar,like the rest,but he is a good and decent man.
He has my vote against this cruel lot who are in now,they look after nobody but number one and their rich pals,he may be a public schoolboy,but he cares about people,and tries to help the community he serves,i'm not a fan of many politicians,but for me given time he could be a good leader.
Vote Cameron back in and you will get your Gran,Grandad,mam and dad all losing money,Cameron doesn't care.

He's not.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012