Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:46:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: What's the Worst and Best  (Read 1698 times)

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
What's the Worst and Best
« on November 14, 2014, 07:09:41 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Football league ground you have been to?,Non league grounds you have been to?,Manager you played under as a kid or adult?

And who would be in your worst eleven and best eleven from the time you have been watching Rovers,with best and worst manager and chairman during that time?

Finally Did Belle vue or The Keepmoat improve or ruin your life,did you meet somebody special,or did you meet the Bride or Bridegroom from hell while watching your team,who has been the worst Rovers employee of all time?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

uptonson

• Forum Member
Re: What's the Worst and Best
« Reply #1 on November 14, 2014, 07:20:13 pm by uptonson »
Haven't got a week to answer all them questions.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 14, 2014, 07:24:24 pm by not on facebook »
Football league ground you have been to?,Non league grounds you have been to?,Manager you played under as a kid or adult?

And who would be in your worst eleven and best eleven from the time you have been watching Rovers,with best and worst manager and chairman during that time?

Finally Did Belle vue or The Keepmoat improve or ruin your life,did you meet somebody special,or did you meet the Bride or Bridegroom from hell while watching your team,who has been the worst Rovers employee of all time?

BV led me to where iam toady When i think about it

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 14, 2014, 07:34:01 pm by IDM »
Loads of questions but I find it difficult to answer about grounds as I mainly concentrate on the football regardless.  Also I wouldn't say Farnborough was crap, for what it is, with grounds like Derby and 'Boro at the other end of the spectrum.

I would say the away ends at Hillsborough and Villa were disappointing for the status of the club/stadium.

I tend to judge grounds by the overall experience.  Apart from our home grounds, I quite like the old fashioned grounds like Saltergate etc.  I did like going to Cheltenham if only because their tea bar poured drinks before half time to help the queues go down faster,

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 14, 2014, 08:39:00 pm by Donnywolf »
At the time I visited them :

Rochdale was very poor with its Floodlights mounted on big wooden Telegraph Poles ... but The Shay - Halifax has to take the biscuit with it being a Speeedway Track as well. So the corners were on huge Pallets with turf on them. Corner takers risked life and limb just to "cross it"

I will find the Photos and add them later

Best Ground (at the time) Everton with its Escalators in the main stand in about 72/73  and a free Programme when you got to the top !

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 14, 2014, 09:55:52 pm by River Don »
A lot of questions there.

Worst ground I have watched the Rovers at, either Sutton United or Leak Town.

Best ground I have been to? I liked the Millenium stadium better than the new Wembley. Maybe the old Wembley was best just because it was Wembley.

Best league ground... I liked the old Highbury, small pitch with stands tight to it. Art Deco.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:58:58 pm by River Don »

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on November 14, 2014, 10:39:21 pm by 1879Rovers »
Worst grounds pre mid to late 80's when a lot changed massively- Newport and Crewe were the worst. Barnet after that

I always liked Villa Park -Massive terrace and the ground oozed history.

Non-league ground during Rovers years. I liked Rushden and I didn't like Farnborough (maybe because I always remember a freezing cold visit on a Tuesday night 0-0).

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on November 15, 2014, 12:32:53 am by Sammy Chung was King »
I Have never been but the Halifax ground The Shay,looks one of the darkest,ugliest,soulless places i have ever seen and that's just on tv.
Chester's ground i remember thinking at the time,i would be happy if we get a ground as good,and when i look at what we got,no comparison,ours is miles better.
I Would have loved to wander round Highbury,but there was no chance of me getting there,what were the grounds like in the Conference,because apart from Chester i never went to away games?

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 15, 2014, 07:01:27 am by aidanstu »
I Have never been but the Halifax ground The Shay,looks one of the darkest,ugliest,soulless places i have ever seen and that's just on tv.
Chester's ground i remember thinking at the time,i would be happy if we get a ground as good,and when i look at what we got,no comparison,ours is miles better.
I Would have loved to wander round Highbury,but there was no chance of me getting there,what were the grounds like in the Conference,because apart from Chester i never went to away games?

Halifax was one of the worst grounds but gave me some of my best memories. I remember being 1-0 down with a few minutes to go, Wade Falana, the man who could only head backwards, taking two corners which both pinpointed Steve Richards head. He scored his first and second for the club that day.

The best bit though was that Lee Bracey, their keeper, had flagged the rovers following off, who were stood behind the goal, after the Steve Richards first. Wade had clearly seen this so after the second ran up and nutted lee Bracy during the celebration. Briliant. I think I remember it snowing too so could have well been a Boxing Day fixture.

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 15, 2014, 07:27:51 am by raggytash »
Hartlepool on a cold wet day takes some beating

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on November 15, 2014, 07:37:07 am by RobTheRover »

Halifax was one of the worst grounds but gave me some of my best memories. I remember being 1-0 down with a few minutes to go, Wade Falana, the man who could only head backwards, taking two corners which both pinpointed Steve Richards head. He scored his first and second for the club that day.

The best bit though was that Lee Bracey, their keeper, had flagged the rovers following off, who were stood behind the goal, after the Steve Richards first. Wade had clearly seen this so after the second ran up and nutted lee Bracy during the celebration. Briliant. I think I remember it snowing too so could have well been a Boxing Day fixture.

Good shout, Aidenstu!!!  It was boxing day, about 1992 I think, but we were 2 down if I recall correctly and those late Steve Richards headers got us a draw.  I also remember the pitch looked frozen solid and the players were tottering about like they all had high heels on.

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 15, 2014, 07:47:23 am by 1879Rovers »
Halifax was horrible and not the place to be on a cold wet day. The terrace behind the goal was just dirt. Probably a better view from outside the shay than in it. I watched their game last week with Bradford and I couldn't believe how much it had changed.

aidanstu

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 15, 2014, 08:04:15 am by aidanstu »

Good shout, Aidenstu!!!  It was boxing day, about 1992 I think, but we were 2 down if I recall correctly and those late Steve Richards headers got us a draw.  I also remember the pitch looked frozen solid and the players were tottering about like they all had high heels on.

Yeah your right we drew didn't we?

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 15, 2014, 08:09:11 am by RedRover45 »

Yeah your right we drew didn't we?

Yes, confirm it was 2-2. Both Rovers goals were officially in the 90th minute.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 15, 2014, 08:09:30 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Not sure it was the worst place, but the weirdest was when Northampton used to play on half of the County cricket pitch.

I was at that Halifax game as well, it was a Boxing Day match as I was living in London at the time and hadn't learnt to drive yet so couldn't get to many Rovers matches. The 'terrace' at the away end was just an asphalt slope..

As for the worst for the weather, that was another Boxing Day match at Saltergate. It was rain/sleet/snowing and a fierce wind was blowing it straight at the away end. Despite wearing several layers of thick clothing, I was wet through to the skin in five minutes in that lot. It's the only game of football I've had to watch over my shoulder..!

At the other extreme, the hottest was Leyton Orient in our first game back in the League..!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:13:15 am by Glyn_Wigley »

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 15, 2014, 08:56:43 am by donnievic »
Agree Northamptons old county ground was really bad,as for away ends would say bristol rovers memorial ground is poor and sheff wed is really poor especially the gangways to get in and out

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 15, 2014, 05:52:16 pm by les@donr »
York away terrible for seeing the other end of the pitch, and the wall that is supposed to be a urinal. Chesterfield seating was terrible, wooden benches.

Darlos new stadium, great seating but a soulless ground.

In Conference R&D ground was very good, shame no one uses it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012