Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:45:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers Vs Rochdale 25 Years Ago  (Read 5331 times)

Crowle Rover

• Forum Member
Rovers Vs Rochdale 25 Years Ago
« on November 22, 2014, 02:50:23 pm by Crowle Rover »

A thought occurred to me this morning whilst at work.

It was away at Rochdale 25 years ago that we beat them 3-1 with David "Bruno" Jones getting a hat-trick on his Rovers debut.

And it was a day like today,dull and overcast. The following years fixture was maybe even better as Rovers thrashed them 3-0 in the famous game where Paul Chricton saved 3 consecutive penalties. We vseemed to be unstoppable at the beginning of the 90/91 season when we won the first 5 league games. Didn't last of course.

I know it was the beginning on November as we then went on to beat Notts Countym 1-0  in the FA Cup first round the following week at Belle Vue.

County were high flying in the 3rd division and Rovers were struggling at the arse end of the 4th division.

In fact the win against County was that big a deal that there was a pitch invasion after the final whistle!

Anybody else at the Rochdale game that day?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

donnievic

• Forum Member
Re: Rovers Vs Rochdale 25 Years Ago
« Reply #1 on November 22, 2014, 03:52:11 pm by donnievic »
I was there for both

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 22, 2014, 04:05:08 pm by PDX_Rover »
Yes. Brilliant. We played Rochdale supporters at footie earlier in the day. Well, I say played. The pitch was flooded and under about 2 inches of water in parts. It was pure comedy, if memory serves... We then went with the Dale fans to that great pub near the ground for lunch and a few ales. Always loved going to Spotland.

barnbydunbill

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 22, 2014, 04:29:58 pm by barnbydunbill »
Yea, was there. Previous away game we beat Halifax one nil, I think. We almost missed kick off owing to delays on M62. Walked into ground to see Bruno scoring first.

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 22, 2014, 05:09:58 pm by acko »
think it was that game the multi coloured swap shop with chegwin,and his ex (name forgot)was live from rochdale in town center

raggytash

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 22, 2014, 06:11:35 pm by raggytash »
I was mascot that day!! Can remember pulled out the hat on a junior rovers day trip lol

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 22, 2014, 06:40:07 pm by Prez »
Was there for the Bruno hat-trick (great day) though I missed the other one due to work.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 22, 2014, 06:47:01 pm by Donnywolf »
think it was that game the multi coloured swap shop with chegwin,and his ex (name forgot)was live from rochdale in town center

Maggie Philbin ?

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 22, 2014, 07:11:39 pm by Nudga »
Jeez!  Can't believe this is 25 year ago.
This was THE season that got me really hooked on Rovers as a 12/13 year old.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on November 22, 2014, 07:38:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Oh Christ up a-f**king-bove, don't tell me that was a quarter of a century ago.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 22, 2014, 08:26:04 pm by ctay »
I was with the junior rovers that day. The song of the day I never really got, 2.10 thirty thousand rovers men.....anybody wish to finish it off?

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 22, 2014, 08:51:59 pm by StocktonRover »
I was at both of those games - I cant remember if there was a football special train for one of those games or whether it was before then.

Whenever it was, there were only about 3-400 fans on the train and on the long walk from the station to the ground it was pretty "hairy" and there were a few clashes with locals (mainly Asian if I remember correctly?)

Any one else have memories of that?

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 22, 2014, 08:59:53 pm by donnievic »
Yes. Brilliant. We played Rochdale supporters at footie earlier in the day. Well, I say played. The pitch was flooded and under about 2 inches of water in parts. It was pure comedy, if memory serves... We then went with the Dale fans to that great pub near the ground for lunch and a few ales. Always loved going to Spotland.
those were great days along with darlo,Torquay and Barney

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 22, 2014, 09:08:20 pm by donnievic »
those were great days playing their supporters along with darlo Torquay and Barnet

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 22, 2014, 10:01:33 pm by Lesonthewest »
 Was there for both too, seem to remember Kevin Noteman made his debut the same day as David Jones, great memories of both games, the 3 penalty saves were unbelievable, think the player who took the first (Goodison?), also claimed the 2nd, on missing that gave up, joyous scenes for the 3rd time when the 2nd player failed. With a couple of pints sank earlier in the real ale Cemetery pub made the day even better.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 22, 2014, 11:13:20 pm by RobTheRover »
I drove to Rochdale that day and took the future Mrs RTR with me. She insisted we drive around for a bit before parking up so we might see Lisa Stansfield.  We didn't. Nearly missed the bloody kick off though.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 22, 2014, 11:59:46 pm by not on facebook »
The day When the rovers keeper saved them 3 penaltys was When roachdale were in the  middle if rebuilding  that new stand to left hand side
 as you stand on away end.

About 15 ddr lads walk onto the building site after there was a huge gap
In the surrounding construction fence.

bascially we all got in got nowt after jumping corner into away end.

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on November 23, 2014, 07:02:15 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
I was there the day Bruno got his hat trick.I think there keeper was a Welsh international. He was suppose to be a good keeper but he had a nervous breakdown that day.Lovely pie and pea's from the shed behind the goal.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 23, 2014, 07:16:46 pm by roversdude »
If only Bruno didn't collide with that baseball bat, who knows what might have been

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on November 23, 2014, 07:25:02 pm by hoolahoop »
I was there too but not for the County game sadly . We were on fire then and Spotland has always been a favourite place along with Boundary Park ( always freezing lol ).
It was in the early 90's that footy violence was under more control and as mentioned above pints with the Rochdale and Oldham lads were normal fare :)

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 23, 2014, 07:26:56 pm by hoolahoop »
The day When the rovers keeper saved them 3 penaltys was When roachdale were in the  middle if rebuilding  that new stand to left hand side

Come on Ossie where is the rest of the tale I.e. what happened ? Lol

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on November 23, 2014, 11:26:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I was there the day Bruno got his hat trick.I think there keeper was a Welsh international. He was suppose to be a good keeper but he had a nervous breakdown that day.Lovely pie and pea's from the shed behind the goal.

I don't know about a nervous breakdown, but he left half his colon in the space between the six yard box and the penalty spot for the third goal.

Routine through ball into the box. Keeper came out for it, only to find a 15st chunk of Donny (soon-to-be) legend bearing down on him, swinging a right leg like the grim reaper's scythe in the direction of the ball and any part of the keeper's anatomy that dared to come close.

Imagine the keeper's mental state for a moment.

On the one hand, he could be a hero. Chuck himself in the oncoming path of the new king of Div 4 striker-hood. Sacrifice his future and his ability to play rough and tumble with his kids, for the momentary plaudits of 1,500 Spotlands fans.

On the other, he could stay on his line and try to pull off a worldy save.

Instead, he took the half-and-half route. Started to come to claim the ball. Then shited it. Physically. Literally.

Who could blame him?

Anyway, it went like this: Foot-contact-ball-back-of-net. Keeper in a heap on the floor calling for a new pair of shorts.

Great days.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:47:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on November 24, 2014, 02:07:20 am by not on facebook »

Come on Ossie where is the rest of the tale I.e. what happened ? Lol

Pie and Mushy peas  with mint sauce were best scran ever had at the football.

Rovers keeper saved 3 pens ,nowt to report on the FV front

Recall thinking When i saw that rochdale were Halfway throu building a new stand how jellous i felt,as BV was a shite Hole.

Now look at KMS to dales ground and few Of us miss BV

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on November 24, 2014, 05:06:24 am by PDX_Rover »
Happy days.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 24, 2014, 07:50:23 am by Nudga »
Where did we get Bruno Jones from? And what a master stroke it was to add Jonny Muir to partner him.

Derby Viking

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 24, 2014, 08:02:33 am by Derby Viking »
I was there with Junior Rovers too - played their junior team in a series of 5-a-side matches before the game. Think both Bruno and Kevin Noteman made their debuts that day though Noteman was on loan

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 24, 2014, 08:35:33 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Jones came on a free from Ipswich. Jinny Muir from Solihull Motors.

Bremner. A god!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on November 24, 2014, 12:39:27 pm by The Red Baron »
Jones came on a free from Ipswich. Jinny Muir from Solihull Motors.

Bremner. A god!
Point of information - there is no such club as Solihull Motors. Solihull Moors was formed a few years back following a merger between Solihull Borough and Moor Green.

So if Johnny Muir had come from a Solihull team it would have been Borough. However I thought we got him from Dudley Town. Still a cracking bit of business though.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 24, 2014, 12:47:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
TRB

Yep. You're right on all counts. Didn't Muir end up at Solihull after he left us?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 24, 2014, 12:53:40 pm by The Red Baron »
TRB

Yep. You're right on all counts. Didn't Muir end up at Solihull after he left us?

I think he did. I'll check up when I'm next home. I'm in A&E at the moment trying to get to the bottom of why my leg is so bloody painful!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:19:25 pm by The Red Baron »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012