Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:15:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Selling my Programmes  (Read 2520 times)

Mike_F

• VSC Member
Selling my Programmes
« on December 04, 2014, 02:13:53 pm by Mike_F »
I've been clearing out my garage and got almost 500 programmes for sale, dates ranging from 1974 to 2013 (mostly late 90's-mid 2000's).

If anybody needs any for their collections I'm open to offers (see list attached) otherwise I'll flog 'em all to a dealer as a job lot. On that note if anybody knows the best place to sell them I'd appreciate the advice.

Cheers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bfdoncaster west

• Forum Member
Re: Selling my Programmes
« Reply #1 on December 04, 2014, 02:23:07 pm by bfdoncaster west »
how much

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 04, 2014, 02:24:25 pm by Mike_F »
For the lot? Don't know really. I'm not sure how much a dealer would offer but I guess it would be about £150

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 04, 2014, 04:39:39 pm by graingrover »
I know you are likely to be accused of hoarding but I still have my collection stretching back to the 1950's and they attract interest as well as dust the longer you keep them . Your son would love to read them when he is your age Mike .

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 04, 2014, 05:29:26 pm by elmsallrover »
A dealer would offer you very little for the programmes definitely not £150 as he as to make something out of it for himself probably looking at 5/10pence a programme very little value in rovers programmes

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 04, 2014, 06:05:37 pm by Donnywolf »
In one of my many stupid moments - and it has LOTS of competition - I had a thought that if I bought a job lot of Programmes on Ebay I could then sell them even for 1p each and say £1.50 postage and make a "reet profit"

However I paid only £160 including enormous postage/courier costs for about 900 Programmes and that was 5 or 6 years ago. Those Progs are/were dating from the 60s and 70s and have complete seaesons of Man U and loads of Man  City away. To date I have sold only one and recently I decided to shift them on and listed 20 Preston Progs with a starting price of 1p each and reasonable Postage charges. Not one of them sold

If you do find a "fair" collector who offers you a good deal let me know. I have tried some on Gumtree and they want to have them given

afro goal machine

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 04, 2014, 06:56:31 pm by afro goal machine »
In one of my many stupid moments - and it has LOTS of competition - I had a thought that if I bought a job lot of Programmes on Ebay I could then sell them even for 1p each and say £1.50 postage and make a "reet profit"

However I paid only £160 including enormous postage/courier costs for about 900 Programmes and that was 5 or 6 years ago. Those Progs are/were dating from the 60s and 70s and have complete seaesons of Man U and loads of Man  City away. To date I have sold only one and recently I decided to shift them on and listed 20 Preston Progs with a starting price of 1p each and reasonable Postage charges. Not one of them sold

If you do find a "fair" collector who offers you a good deal let me know. I have tried some on Gumtree and they want to have them given

Rodney you plonka !!!!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 04, 2014, 07:07:57 pm by graingrover »
It is rare to find programmes from clubs on the continent .. I might just take a selection down to the flea market in Brussels one Sunday morning to gauge interest I receive from locals for old Arsenal, Man U , Chelsea .. and Rovers programmes .

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on December 04, 2014, 07:51:51 pm by Donnywolf »
It is rare to find programmes from clubs on the continent .. I might just take a selection down to the flea market in Brussels one Sunday morning to gauge interest I receive from locals for old Arsenal, Man U , Chelsea .. and Rovers programmes .

If they go well let me know ! I can off mine to you and you can clean up - and I can major on my favourite pastime (drinking Leffe on draught)

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 05, 2014, 02:21:51 pm by Mike_F »
Sounds like I might be pissing in the wind then. Anyone know of any dealers who'll take 'em off my hands? Ta.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 05, 2014, 02:22:47 pm by Mike_F »
I know you are likely to be accused of hoarding but I still have my collection stretching back to the 1950's and they attract interest as well as dust the longer you keep them . Your son would love to read them when he is your age Mike .

Cheers Brian. I've kept a big box full of significant ones for that reason.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 05, 2014, 05:00:58 pm by BobG »
I've got a bloody big box full of mostly 70's progs too. All sorts: Rovers, a lot of Coventry City, Spurs, Arsenal, werid, obscure Rovers way matches. Like everyone I've kept 'em waiting for the day they'd be worth something. Not yet apparently then!

BobG

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 05, 2014, 05:25:12 pm by POD »
Unfortunately Bob,  no matter how long you wait, programmes from the early 60s onwards will never be worth anything.  I'm in the same position as you with hundreds of programmes from the last 50 years.  I've enjoyed reading them and collecting them into sets, but sadly they have no value to dealers or collectors.

The main reason is that programmes from the past 50 years were in plentiful supply at matches and many people kept them as the hobby of programme collecting was just beginning.   Those programmes from the 50s and 40s and before were printed on just a few sheets of flimsy paper, folded into a pocket on matchday and discarded afterwards.  That has made them more scarce and therefore more collectable. 

I have been to auctions at Sheffield Auction Gallery at Heeley and find that large boxes of local club programmes from the post 60s era (including Rovers) sell for as little as £5-£10 per box with commission to pay by the seller.

There are a few exceptions of course and if you search Rovers programmes on eBay, you will see some more modern Programmes selling well, either because of the fact that it was a big match or more likely that the programme was a sell out.  The two league cup matches against Forest in 1997 are a good example.  There are two copies of the away leg for sale currently with several bids on them.  I recently sold the home leg on eBay for £32 and have seen it go for more than that in the past.

In terms of Rovers programmes though these 'gems' are few and far between.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 05, 2014, 06:35:49 pm by BobG »
Thank you POD. That's really informative. Especially as I knew none of it! Thanks

BobG

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 05, 2014, 08:59:13 pm by GazLaz »
That was my first game the thumping by Forest. A mate of mine called John Ramsey played in the away leg, anyone remember him??

neil grainger

« Reply #15 on December 05, 2014, 11:33:20 pm by neil grainger »
We recently had our loft re-boarded which forced me to unpack several interesting old carboard boxes full of memories.
My old cowboys & indians, soldiers, matchbox cars....and loads of old programmes.
Graingrover: I have several of yours mate!

Mike - I don't want to piss on your parade but I doubt there is much monetary value in your collecion.
Hold onto them mate - their sentimental value far outweighs anything else!

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 06, 2014, 09:42:15 am by Donnywolf »
As a PS to my post above on "stupidity" in my life I offer this.

Of the Progs I bought in that "deal" above I managed to sell just the one Prog before giving up as it was to date my worst Ebay deal !

I sold an ages old Man city Prog for 10p I think it was. I listed the postage as something like £1.25 so I "made" about 50p ... and thought just another 850 to go

However I did not spot it was the week that Royal Main introduced the new Big Letter / Little Letter scheme and just posted mine off. The buyer got fined because the postage was incorrect and so she had to pay about £2.50. She then complained to me and of course I gave her the money back !

Result - instead of making about 60p - I lost about £2 ! I gave up at that point and the 850 are still in my Loft - except for the 20 PNE ones I lovingly photographed and listed recently at 1p each and for which I received no bids whatsoever

Get rich quick ....mmmm ... don't think so  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:

TinyPortal © 2005-2012