Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 01:16:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Design for next seasons shirts - IRWT  (Read 20103 times)

lee.j09

• Forum Member
Re: Kit Design Competition: Post your designs here
« Reply #90 on December 13, 2014, 08:57:44 am by lee.j09 »
This should be boycotted a disgrace that the club continue to release 2 new kits every year

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

coventryrover

• Forum Member
Re: Design for next seasons shirts - IRWT
« Reply #91 on December 13, 2014, 12:13:51 pm by coventryrover »
Everybody does it now.   Dont want it, dont buy it.  Simple

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on December 13, 2014, 12:24:22 pm by Wellred »
Not very fair on parents with young kids who want the shirts though is it?

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on December 13, 2014, 03:03:43 pm by coventryrover »
Dont parents know how to say no???

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on December 17, 2014, 10:42:27 pm by Drover »
this should be boycotted a new kit year on year is a disgrace

They should put a velcro strip down the front of the shirt because it's a rip-off!

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on December 17, 2014, 10:44:22 pm by ditch_drfc »
Shut up moaning you whining bas**rds. You don't have to buy the shirt every season do you...

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
Re: Re: Kit Design Competition: Post your designs here
« Reply #96 on December 17, 2014, 11:00:14 pm by VivaRovers »
I've only just opened and read this thread, as I actually thought it was just a colouring-in competition for kids.

We've not had the same home kit for two seasons running since 2003-04 / 2004-05. Whether you buy the shirts or not - I actually don't - its absolutely bloody daft. It just causes more hassle than it can surely be worth on a yearly basis, as we change over the club stock, and are - presumably - either left with, or forced to sell all manner of playing kit and training wear at a reduced rate, within six months or so of it actually going on the shelves.

I could of sworn there was a supporters' charter drawn up a few years ago, that included something about not changing the kit every year. Did I imagine that? It would seem so.

And anyway, there's only so many different ways you can design a hooped shirt. At this rate we'll have worn all conceivable designs of hoop by 2021-22. At which point we'll presumably switch to being white and red hoops rather than red and white hoops.

Still, at least it's open for the fans* to design

(*NB. Fans must have access to and proficiency in Photoshop in order to be able to submit design)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: Re: Kit Design Competition: Post your designs here
« Reply #97 on December 17, 2014, 11:13:16 pm by bobjimwilly »
(*NB. Fans must have access to and proficiency in Photoshop in order to be able to submit design)

I think you're trying to be a bit too witty there Glen? No-one has said you have to be proficient in photoshop; people can draw something on paper and scan it in if they please. Or better yet, why not describe the shirt you would like to see, or even post a picture of a similar shirt from another club and say "how about this one but in red and white"? Theres so many ways fans can get involved here.

And you suggest it causes more hassle than it's worth, well not really and the club have already said they made more money from this seasons away shirt than they have for years. Now don't get me wrong, if I had a choice I would suggest a each shirt should last at least two seasons, but at the minute we don't have that choice, so I am supporting this design competition to at least give the fans the chance to buy the shirt they want. If we can come up with another (IMO) great away shirt, then it's worth it.

FYI here is the relevant section from the customer charter (p19):
Doncaster Rovers aim is to provide a range of quality products that will appeal to all fans. The club are committed to
work with the supporters to design the replica strips each year through the fan engagement project ‘In Rovers We Trust’.
All replica strips will have a minimum lifespan of one year. This lifespan will be announced via our club media before the strip goes on sale.
http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/documents/drfc-clubcharter-1314-v2110-1491264.pdf

And re: your first sentence, you can do better than that Glen...

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on December 18, 2014, 12:02:47 am by VivaRovers »
Bobjimwilly... Less of the condescension eh? My first sentence wasn't a joke. I genuinely thought that was the case, as I didn't actually think Rovers would be thinking of having yet another new kit, so presumed it was a competition for peoples' kids and didn't open the thread.

"The club have already said they made more money from this seasons away shirt than they have for years."
That kind of backs up my point really. If the club didn't change the shirt every year then folk would probably be more inclined to buy one, but as it is, sales no doubt drop off when people find out there is going to be yet another new one round the corner, meaning a need to sell them off at a cheaper price when they've not been shifted.

I can see the club charter says that now, but I was certainly under the impression it was initially set out as two due to that being what folk had asked for. A minimum of one season is a cop-out of a statement really.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on December 18, 2014, 07:37:35 am by RobTheRover »
I think the club's fans charter originally did say kits should last 2 years,  but that seems to be a distant memory.  Certainly something that is in need of a review.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Kit
« Reply #100 on December 18, 2014, 08:43:53 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
We're with you on this one Glen. I too hope we can review this. May be appeal to club to poll fans directly. It's an important revenue stream.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on December 18, 2014, 09:08:42 am by ditch_drfc »
Surely if you want the home/away shirt you're more likely to buy it in the first season it's on sale than in the second season...

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on December 18, 2014, 11:20:28 am by elmsallrover »
Wont get an other one since last time i got one all the lettering came off in the washer total waste off money

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on December 18, 2014, 11:36:50 am by bobjimwilly »
Wont get an other one since last time i got one all the lettering came off in the washer total waste off money

Happened to both mine home and away shirts that season! Terrible quality. The quality this season has been much better, and the sponsors have simply been ironed on, which they appear to be the season before. In fairness the club shop did offer to replace any shirts that had been damaged by simply washing them, but it's still no excuse.

bfdoncaster west

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on December 18, 2014, 11:53:11 am by bfdoncaster west »
get sports direct in

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on December 18, 2014, 12:01:10 pm by DaveDRFC »
The sponsors are actually part of the shirt now aren't they rather than printed on afterwards? They are on my lad's baby kit anyway. I've not bought one for me for years, couldn't be bothered when all they did was swap round which parts were red and white from 2 seasons before on the final Nike kit, even though it did look far better with an all red back!

If the shirts had a 2 year life cycle then obviously sales would be higher in the first year they were available. But the fact is there would only be one new shirt a season so surely people would be more inclined to buy that one rather than have to choose between home and away?

As for the hoops, doesn't bother me if they stay or go, I don't particularly like them and would prefer an all red top with white trim. I can understand people saying they are our identity but not everyone sticks with the same thing. Even Barcelona regularly change between having stripes and halves. Look at Bayern Munich, completely different kit every time they change, few years back they had red and white hoops for a season, now they are blue and red stripes!

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on December 18, 2014, 12:13:19 pm by Drover »
Shut up moaning you whining b*****ds. You don't have to buy the shirt every season do you...

You do if you want to wear the same shirt as the team does that season.

bfdoncaster west

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on December 18, 2014, 12:56:27 pm by bfdoncaster west »
get sports direct in

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on December 22, 2014, 07:18:25 pm by Mr1Croft »
Doesn't it come round fast? As we all know opinion on how often we should change shirts is mixed but we currently have a manufacturer who is prepared to partner with the supporters and provide a shirt that has been largely designed by those supporters and is the colour choice agreed by us. The last few seasons have seen this particular part of IRWT create some tremendous changes in design and colour, so this season the opportunity will be there again. For those who wish to submit a design or two bear some of this in mind;

The Away kit continues to sell year on year. Sales are driven possibly by the change of colours, but also because of the relative freehand we get with the design aspect. Yet again the Away kit will be a blank canvas with respect to those options and the more creative amongst you can express your capabilities with this shirt.

The sales of the Home shirt are more static, no doubt because of the lack of variation in colour and the hooped design. However we can look at any fans suggestions but we would still need to respect our identity and tradition. That shouldn't mean it HAS to be the same, but we are looking for ideas and suggestions. Please feel free to offer your opinion on the Home shirt and the affinity, or not, that you may have for the existing shirt.

Please bear in mind that the final design will be subject to manufacturing restraints and costs, but the intention will be to supply what the fans have agreed is the best design. Hopefully this coming season we can supply shirts that Just Sports will be able to manufacture, that way we can be more unique amongst our peers.

We need to get this competition up and running, so start to submit as soon as possible. Early January looks like the cut off point so we need to get through the design and selection process as soon as possible. Hopefully having done this over the last two seasons we have learnt enough lessons to be able to feedback at all stages.

Good luck!

So what is the exact process that the shirt design will follow? We currently have a thread asking for designs but then another simply asking for the colour.

VSC

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on December 22, 2014, 09:13:59 pm by VSC »
We are currently in talks with the club on the exact process. The threads we have put up recently are simply to start gauging popular opinion and asking people to be thinking about what shirt designs they would like to see.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on December 29, 2014, 09:48:47 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
It seems we are tied to the current contract, future contracts can be alternating the home and away kit in alternate years. Prem clubs can get away with it because of the massive numbers sold world wide, but for us the ecomonics of it where we are told it's an advantage for the club/manufacturers to change both kits each year is bullshit.

Only a few of our fans will buy both kits each year - maybe this needs researching but I'm fairly sure that's the case. Make the changes every two years and many will then end up buying both kits so total revunue will be not that different.

There will undoubtedly be more of a kit sold if it's around for two years - so the numbers thing that has been mentioned in this thread is b*llocks. In fact the price of a kit should be less if it's around for two years without losing the manufacturers or the club any money.

As for the club making less money, that's being naiive. Fans will have some kind of a budget to spend. Those with more money to spend can be encouraged to buy other merchandise so long as the club promote it well, and make it worth buying. If people think they are getting a better deal from the club, their allegiance will be stronger and they are actually likely to spend more money in total.

I suspect there is some kind of cartel going on that is making it seem like the club HAS to agree to yearly changes. The FSF should check this out. The problem there is the bigger prem clubs who have the greatest merchandising clout are a different animal, so this is about the FSF representing fans of smaller clubs.

If fans vote for the same kit, the club/kit manufacturers will simply over rule  :thumbdown: We need to get behind a strong campaign here, ideally in conjunction with fans of other clubs.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on December 30, 2014, 01:06:57 am by bobjimwilly »
We can ask for the numbers BRR but there is no conspiracy; the manufacturer (and club) are making more money selling 2 different shirts every year. And out of the fans who do buy replica shirts, I'd say from looking around the Keepmoat and at away games it's actually the majority that have the newest shirts on, not "a few".

I'm in the same camp as a lot of fans in that I would prefer to see shirts last for 2 years to save myself some money, but I'm also one of those fans that does like to have the newest shirts, so I still get them both each year. The manufacturer and club both know this is the case for a lot of fans.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012