Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 04:17:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Piss Poor Rovers Related Claims to Fame  (Read 22971 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Piss Poor Rovers Related Claims to Fame
« Reply #90 on April 22, 2017, 10:36:51 am by Bentley Bullet »
I was once talking to Michael McIndoe shortly after he'd left Barnsley FC. He gave me the impression that they were a peculiar bunch and he didn't share the rest of the team's obsessive interest in baking.

Well anyway, that's the impression I got when he told me they were all very much into bread.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on April 22, 2017, 11:03:23 am by Herman Hessian »
during the days of long-lost extravagance, we hired a limo to drive us up from London for (I think) the second leg of the bob Lord Trophy final against Farnborough - Peter Kitchen (then working at a health club in Essex) was invited to join us for the duration, and duly obliged. It was a long, long day - champagne and smoked salmon in the vehicle first thing, starting from right in the heart of the city - driver was then instructed to pull up outside an offy in some north london hovel to load up with beer; of we go with rovers scarf tied round the aerial on the back of this enormous black motor - tidy ! to cut a long story short,  day of massive excess followed, Duerden does his thing, further extended celebrations - and we were required to stop the limo on the way back so that Mr Kitchen could throw up at the side of the A1...

:sick:

:P

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on April 22, 2017, 11:56:14 am by RoversAlias »
I once sat next to Sam Hird at a performance of 'Oliver' at my school (Hall Cross). He was wearing sandals, very peculiar behaviour.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on April 22, 2017, 12:04:37 pm by tommy toes »
Was hitchhiking in the dales. This 4x4 pulls up. Mcindoe was driving with his new girlfriend who had just invested in his money making scheme.
She was no other than the plump chanteuse Adele.
So I gets in. A couple of miles down the road Mcindoe swerves to avoid a sheep. We go careering down the hill the 4x4 turns over.
We were rolling in the Jeep.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on April 22, 2017, 12:34:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Monday lunch after the Brentford Cross Bar. Went to Asda, in walks Copps looking very tired (understandable). "Ayup James". We then proceeded to have a long chat about the events of the weekend which he said were a bit of a blur. First question I asked him was whether he was onside. I was level, he said.

So what are doing here? Just getting a few bits and putting the lottery on! (Me thinking we won the lottery when you stuck the ball in the net!)

Amazingly, Brian Flynn also walks in. Also unshaven and admitting to feeling knackered. Between three of us we chatted about the game and Brian described the sequence from the penalty. He said   Billy Paynter came over to the dug-out and turned his back to the penno and sank to his knees. "What you doing Bill?" "Praying!" He said.

To be able to chat to two of the main characters and heroes so soon after that historical event was something I'll cherish for the rest of my days. 

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on April 22, 2017, 12:34:39 pm by roversdude »
 :facepalm:
Tommy

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on April 22, 2017, 12:56:32 pm by ravenrover »
Ernie Moss was my stepdads cousin, played with Phil Robinson for Broddy

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on April 22, 2017, 01:33:47 pm by essexrover »
Another Steve Lister related one.
I tried to chat his sister up once in the 80s........and failed miserably  :(
Her loss  :) can't even remember her name now !
Also played against him a few times in kickabouts at school.

donnyspadge

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on April 22, 2017, 01:39:23 pm by donnyspadge »
Brian stock gave me a winners banner from JPT cup final came to the side of the pitch in Cardiff and passed it me himself still got it now

Andy Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on April 22, 2017, 07:20:53 pm by Andy Smith »
When we played at Stoke in playoff final my brother was in Amsterdam watching it on yv when some fella asked to join him and his mates.
Said person was Willy Boyde

Dn11

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on April 22, 2017, 11:15:53 pm by Dn11 »
I delivered too Andy Williams house last month best I've got

the dons

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on April 23, 2017, 07:52:17 am by the dons »
I saw Brian Usher in M&S on Saturday.

DRFC-Hanksie

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on April 24, 2017, 12:27:06 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »
Was speaking to Graham Cawthorne in a pub last year, told me a couple of funny tales about him and dougie. Told me once him and dougie went to a nightclub prior to playing the posh at home in the FA cup, dougie had been drinking the night before, graham hadn't. Bremner caught wind of it and pretty much painted the office red with them.

The other one which I found pretty funny was that on the rovers team coach, they used to have a little mini freezer on there and would keep ice cream in there, probably something like haagen-daaz. Because dougie had a palate, he used to take it out and use it as a scoop/spoon for the ice cream.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on April 24, 2017, 01:10:25 pm by GazLaz »
Lived next door but one to Brian Stock and family in Westwoodside.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on April 24, 2017, 01:11:56 pm by NickDRFC »
Used to work with Paul Heffernan's girlfriend about 10 years ago. Smoking hot but madder than a box of frogs.

ck-rtid

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on April 24, 2017, 03:52:41 pm by ck-rtid »
Laurie Sheffield was at my wedding reception!

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on April 24, 2017, 03:55:00 pm by Mike_F »
Been really good mates with Steve Uzelac's son pretty much all my life, been on hols with the family, spent Xmas with them etc.

Used to regularly serve Tim Ryan, Kev Sandwith and Sir Francis in The Sportsman on Armthorpe Rd. They could all put it away.

Had a good few drinks with David Mulligan. Cracking lad, always a good laugh.

Once asked Mark Hine's daughter out. She agreed to meet me in the nightclub and I was delighted as she was bloody gorgeous so imagine my disappointment when she didn't show up. I saw a load of missed calls form her so I followed it up the next morning saying what a shame we'd missed each other in town. She replied with "We didn't miss each other. I saw you in the nightclub but you were so drunk you could barely stand up and you refused to come and sit with me so I left you there." Vodka wasn't my friend that weekend.

Filming a short piece for Look North in the Park Hotel, Sean Thornton took half a step through the door, did an about-turn and skulked off into the car park. The second the camera crew packed up he was back in. Must've been watching through the window.

I also contributed a few lines to "The Twelve Steals of Blundell" song including the "Five DVDs" bit. That's the one I'm most proud of.

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on April 25, 2017, 10:42:21 am by Goole Rover »
Laurie Sheffield was at my wedding reception!
Great d
Great for you to have our best centre forward ever at your wedding. Laurie on a number of occasions  helped me raise money for Gurkha Welfare at Balrams Nepalese restaurant in town. Laurie being an ex soldier would always attend with a word or two after dinner. A great bloke, long may he be associated with Doncaster Rovers.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on April 26, 2017, 04:52:13 pm by ctay »
I was good mates with Ian Duerden when he lived in Donny, still swap messages now and again. Also know Tim Ryan well. I once got Durds playing cricket against Donny Town which was amusing.

Went to watch Durds play for Kingstonian at Telford, tuned up with at the ground, told the guy on the entrance I was the sub keeper and he let me in! Stood with the fans in the away end, nice people.

Had a few nights out with players back then. Carl Alford...not a fan. Justin Jackson.... top class prick. Dino Mammaria, what a guy he was! Really funny.

My mum looked after Kevin Keegans mum (or dad not sure which), in a private hospital when she/he passed away. Think he played for Hamburg at the time, got the usual signed photo and ball. really nice guy.

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on April 27, 2017, 10:28:14 pm by Harrogate Rover »
Spoke to Sean McDaid's Dad last Saturday at a re-cycling centre in Harrogate.   :unsure:

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on April 27, 2017, 10:52:15 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What're the chances of you both looking for a second-hand bike at the same time...

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on April 28, 2017, 12:58:41 am by roversdude »
Well it is TDY again

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on April 28, 2017, 11:09:55 am by Herman Hessian »
Alan Warboys on holiday in Tenby

those super-rich footballers and their luxurious lifestyles, eh !

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on May 01, 2017, 10:03:03 am by Harrogate Rover »
What're the chances of you both looking for a second-hand bike at the same time...

An unusual chain of events led me to scrapping the idea as I didn't want to get saddled with anything dodgy. Nice bloke though, said I'd give him a bell.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on May 01, 2017, 10:12:14 am by StocktonRover »

An unusual chain of events led me to scrapping the idea as I didn't want to get saddled with anything dodgy. Nice bloke though, said I'd give him a bell.
You don't half peddle some crap puns. 😏

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on May 01, 2017, 10:40:12 am by RedJ »
Was it a basket case?

Harrogate Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on May 01, 2017, 02:07:10 pm by Harrogate Rover »
I was trying to pump him for information about what Sean is doing now he's re -tired. Spoke about him taking a brake, as it was hard to handle but was in a good frame of mind now. :silly:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on May 01, 2017, 02:18:54 pm by Filo »
I was trying to pump him for information about what Sean is doing now he's re -tired. Spoke about him taking a brake, as it was hard to handle but was in a good frame of mind now. :silly:

Was the brake in tandem with his work as a football agent?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on May 01, 2017, 06:23:24 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I met him once in London, inner tube station. I asked him if he fancied a pint, and he said: "No thanks, I only drink at night, I can't handle bars in the daytime".

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on May 01, 2017, 06:56:52 pm by RedJ »
One can tyre of bike related jokes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012