Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:10:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster Rovers Managers  (Read 7540 times)

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
Doncaster Rovers Managers
« on April 08, 2015, 12:57:55 pm by Old Popsider »
There has been many managers at the Rovers since I started supporting the team in 1956 - 38 of them in fact!! I'm wondering who the 39th will be.  :scarf:

First manager was Peter Doherty in 1955/56 season and now ending up with Paul Dickov. There's been quite a variety of management styles and results.

Some have survived a few seasons, others not long at all. Some have gone on to bigger and better things others steadily declined.

Some of the managers a lot will remember were Bill Leivers, Lawrie McMenemy, Stan Anderson, Billy Bremner, Dave Cusack, Sammy Chung, Ian Snodin, Steve Wignall, Dave Penney, Sean O'Driscoll, Dean Saunders, Brian Flynn.

There were others that probably won't be in the memory bank such as Danny Molloy, Frank Marshall, Johnny Quigley, Cyril Knowles, Tony Cunningham, Mark Atkins.

Until I checked on Wikipedia (thanks Wiki for the memory jogger!!) I didn't realise we'd had so many managers through the managerial revolving door at Doncaster Rovers Football Club!

What's the point of this post?? Nothing really!! Why post it then? Don't know - you tell me - other than give something out to be mauled/mulled over and suitably debated and commented on.  :rtid:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
Re: Doncaster Rovers Managers
« Reply #1 on April 08, 2015, 01:48:02 pm by Silkscarf »
When you put 'What's the point of this post' I thought you meant the post of Rovers manager. Good question!

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 08, 2015, 03:35:41 pm by graingrover »
We used to sack the Manager every two years or so but in many cases they had to work at a club with no strategy and no resources . How many times did we have to sell our best players ... starting already in the Doherty era when he complained we couldn't sustain a promotion challenge on crowds under 20,000 lol and then sold Harry Gregg and Bert Tindill before moving on .
    I think one of the key decisions over those same years however was the decision NOT to offer Shackell a decent deal at a crucial time . There have been many other decisions which have meant we tilted the balance in the wrong direction at a crucial point.

I love this club and always have , through those same years since 1956.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 08, 2015, 05:33:36 pm by wilts rover »
Graing, we offered Shackell a decent deal - Barnsley offered more.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 08, 2015, 06:01:17 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Felt a bit bad the other day when I saw the funeral of Dave MaKay shown in excerpts on sky. I have a news clipping from the Green Un letters page of my slagging off his record at Belle Vue (he had a very poor record I have to say) in the days when that WAS social media!

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 08, 2015, 07:52:15 pm by acko »
you said we offered shackel decent deal can you elaberate,same time what about freind,tommy spurr

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 08, 2015, 08:17:49 pm by Askern_reds »
tell us your fave pop?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 08, 2015, 08:22:25 pm by wilts rover »
you said we offered shackel decent deal can you elaberate,same time what about freind,tommy spurr

Are you calling John Ryan a liar?

"It was disappointing to miss out on Jason Shackell who joined Barnsley, because after spending last season here on loan we thought that he would come to us after we agreed a fee with Wolves."But Barnsley were absolutely determined to beat us and offered him very high wages which we couldn't compete with."Time will tell whether it was a good move for him or not."

http://www.football.co.uk/doncaster-rovers/rovers-chairman-john-ryan-confident-of-top-ten-finish/1047459/

What about Friend and Tommy Spurr? You think Rovers should be matching what Middlesborough and Blackburn pay their players do you?

acko

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 08, 2015, 08:40:07 pm by acko »
thanks for that wilts,but as for spurr he put a big article in the free press stating rovers offered him more money than blackburn but they was too slow doing buisness

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 08, 2015, 08:46:35 pm by Askern_reds »
Nothing new there Acko same old same old

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 08, 2015, 09:58:22 pm by Filo »
thanks for that wilts,but as for spurr he put a big article in the free press stating rovers offered him more money than blackburn but they was too slow doing buisness

Would you like to produce that article

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 08, 2015, 10:12:02 pm by wilts rover »

That's interesting Acko. Blackburn had just been relegated so would have come down with the parachute money. Shows some ambition from the board dont you think to be matching the sort of money they could afford to pay?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 08, 2015, 11:04:23 pm by BobG »
Lol! I bet, I absolutely bet, Acko won't/can't answer that.

Just brilliant Wilts!

Bob

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 09, 2015, 10:37:05 am by Old Popsider »
tell us your fave pop?

Lawrie McMenemy & Billy Bremner were sound managers and I liked them both.

Rosso Exile Deux

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 09, 2015, 12:07:16 pm by Rosso Exile Deux »
.....I think one of the key decisions over those same years however was the decision NOT to offer Shackell a decent deal at a crucial time . There have been many other decisions which have meant we tilted the balance in the wrong direction at a crucial point..... 

Not always wrong direction.  What about decision in 2001 to offer a 34 year old journeyman striker a deal....30 odd goals later and a golden goal assist and we're back in the league :) 

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 10, 2015, 02:53:01 am by Sammy Chung was King »
tell us your fave pop?

I always liked Tizer ;)

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 10, 2015, 11:55:55 am by Northants Nomad »

Would you like to produce that article

Actually Acko, what he said at the time was that even though Blackburn offered more money, had Rovers offered their deal in a more timely manner, his head wouldn't have been turned. I seem to remember that our delay in offering a deal opened the door to new offers and the Blackburn one was big.

Though I haven't got the article to be sure of that.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 11, 2015, 10:43:45 am by bobjimwilly »
SOD has got to be the best Rovers manager on his accomplishments, surely?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on April 11, 2015, 11:12:44 am by The Red Baron »
SOD has got to be the best Rovers manager on his accomplishments, surely?

Close thing between SO'D and Peter Doherty for me.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on April 11, 2015, 11:30:05 am by Filo »
It's all relative isn't it?

Look at the achievments of the managers and there isn't much between them

Peter Doherty 1 promotion
Lawrie McMenemy 1 promotion
Billy Bremner 2 promotions, 1 relegation
Dave Penny 2 promotions, 1 cup final
SOD 1 promotion, 1 cup final

All in different leagues granted, but also all with different financial parameters

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 11, 2015, 01:08:30 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Thought Stan did well until the wheels came off at Spurs, although we were 2-1 up briefly!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012