Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:42:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: CEO and Owners appear to accept two seasons of mediocrity.  (Read 18778 times)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
Re: CEO and Owners appear to accept two seasons of mediocrity.
« Reply #60 on April 12, 2015, 10:27:34 am by Mr1Croft »
I believe in Paul Dickov. He may not be the most tactically sound and he may leave a lot to desire in certain areas but I don't think he's done as half as bad to warrant the sack.

He came to us just after winning the league title (an odd occasion) as he had to put his stamp on the team without losing that winning mentality that was present the season previous. We were relegated in the most cruelest of fashions and this season could have been a lot worse (look at Yeovil).

Make no mistake, I believe we should/can have done better this season but I also believe chopping and changing every time it doesn't go to plan is dangerous.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on April 12, 2015, 10:30:19 am by Mr1Croft »
As for Wellens and Copps. One is stealing a wage and the other is the most overrated Rovers player of my generation.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:44:05 am by Mr1Croft »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on April 12, 2015, 10:39:05 am by Bentley Bullet »
As for Wellens and Copps. One is stealing a wage and the other is the most overrated Rovers players of my generation.

Fascinating how we perceive things differently. I reckon that without Wellens and Coppinger this season we'd be bottom of the table.

BoomBoom

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on April 12, 2015, 10:40:48 am by BoomBoom »
The only consistency Dickov brings is consistently crap. Regardless of team, personnel, ambition, he delivers a consistent mid table League One performances. If we want more than that he has to go.

As we've said many times he's a decent bloke with good hair. But he's a diabolical football manager.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on April 12, 2015, 03:16:09 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I've seen Dean Saunders mentioned a few times. He took over at Crawley when they were in 21st place. Now they are in 20th, and still equal on points with 21st, just as they were... move on :)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on April 13, 2015, 01:03:01 am by Alan Southstand »
He should have been gone after last season's abject failure to keep us in the championship, especially given the quality of players we had. He's had nowhere near the same quality of players this season, but according to the club, we had one of the best budgets in the league, so something is not adding up there.

He consistently makes bad errors of judgement and continually takes no responsibility for them, blaming his players at every nip and turn. Must do their confidence in him a world of good! His use, or lack of, the up and coming youth teamers is bordering on the shocking as most of them have hardly had a sniff at a first team game. It may just be that they're not ready yet, but for goodness sake, how the hell are we ever going to find out if they are not given the opportunity.

His tactics are baffling, that's if they exist at all. When in trouble in games, his only plan b is to throw on another striker, or so it seems to me. I hav'nt got a clue what his strategy is for the team and as far as having a long-term strategy, that is too painful for the likes of me to contemplate.

I take my hat off to all of you who think he does not warrant getting rid of, as I could never reach those heady heights of eternal optimism.

In short, the man is a poor excuse as a football manager and he, and his collection of back room no hopers are putting us back years and, for some supporters, there is no wonder they have given up and lost interest (me included).

The sooner someone gets the Board to see sense, as I don't think they have any idea what qualities make a good football manager,  as it was them who had a say in appointing him in the first place, the better for the Club. We are stagnating with what we have presently and the only shining light is the performance of the youth (thank you to whoever manages that).

It matters not one jot what anyone writes on this forum but maybe just enough will stay away in the future for that to make the message to the Board ever clearer. Get rid of this joker. Please.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
We have built a hardcore of about six thousand, with a few thousand more floating supporters, from what i see the numbers are slowly dwindling in both groups, very worrying.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on April 13, 2015, 06:36:04 am by dickos1 »
As for Wellens and Copps. One is stealing a wage and the other is the most overrated Rovers player of my generation.

Can't agree with that

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on April 13, 2015, 09:15:23 am by bobjimwilly »

Very harsh on both Wellens and Copps.

Wellens is past his prime and shouldn't play 90 mins each week, but stealing a wage? Copps has shown 11 years loyal service to the club, played in every significant match over the last 10 years, scored a hat-trick to see us through to Wembley and scored the winning goal to secure us the League One title for the second time in the last 50 years, and they're simply facts. Overrated? I don't think so at all.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on April 13, 2015, 09:27:02 am by The Red Baron »

Can't agree with that

Neither can I.

ctay

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on April 13, 2015, 09:46:06 am by ctay »
I agree that Wellens good games can be counted on pretty much one hand this season. Carnt agree with Copps though, before his injury he was our only quality player along with Harry...if he felt like it or wasnt suspended.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on April 13, 2015, 09:59:23 am by wing commander »
   I have to admit I never thought Copps was quite as good as people thought he was but still a fantastic player for us, i've no complaints this season he's been one our best players and consistent players..Wellens on the other hand is causing us more problems than he creates..Especially now Keegan isn't covering for him..I would like to see a new central midfielder for next season...We all have players who we think are overated,my current one is tintin Main...

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on April 13, 2015, 11:06:58 am by bpoolrover »
Can't understand how people keep saying we had to much quality to go down last year,who were the players Alan?

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on April 13, 2015, 11:14:27 am by Donnybob »
There’s so much in-depth knowledge and expertise on here, I’m humbled to be able to read your views. Has there ever been such an outburst of positive emotion and well-balanced views anywhere on the planet? Perhaps it’s my rose-tinted spectacles that let me see this.

You wanted SOD out. You got your way.

You wanted Saunders out. You got your way.

Now you want the gob-sh*te back again – and for the life of me I cannot grasp why. Even benefiting from parachute payments and now having a 20-goal striker in a sh*t league he’s achieved exactly what? He’s still in danger of delivering three relegations for three teams in three seasons employing the most dire brand of football imaginable.

And he shows no loyalty whatsoever..., never sees a job through.

Now you want Dickov sacked because he is tactically inept and hasn’t delivered to your expectations.

When he’s gone you will love the next guy for a few games then you’ll want him out, too.

You are unhappy with the board because their ambitions don’t match yours.

You think the players lack skill and don’t give enough effort.

You don’t like the new stadium - decrepit as it was, Belle Vue had so much more appeal.

You don’t like the way the club advertises games.

You don’t like the food, the ticket office service, the stewarding.

You don’t like your fellow fans because they don’t sing when you want them to.

You don’t like the views expressed in the local press.

You are convinced the local radio stations have a hidden agenda against ‘your’ team.

You are certain that referees and their assistants deliberately rule against us all the time, are useless, biased and ineffectual.

You think we need a drum - and then you don’t.

You think the crowds are rubbish except when there’s a big game and then the folk who turn out are glory hunters.

You said the new stadium should have been a 20,000-seater not long ago..., should have had a more expensive (sweeping) roof and waffled endlessly about whether ‘pins’ had been laid to afford future expansion.

You think we should speculate, gamble, have a punt, recruit a sheik, an oligarch or a billionaire from that long list of suitors desperate to purchase the club. Indeed let’s do anything that might just deliver that dream of one season in the Promised Land, whatever the long-term cost and implications.

You didn’t like the fact that a local pop singer tried to involve himself with the club for a while yet you will still believe anything that Mr Ryan says because he’s The Messiah and can do no wrong. Even ‘the experiment’ was a success.

If you disagree with someone’s views you think it’s okay to post, ‘Well, f** off and support Leeds then!’ Without any consideration for the implications or reactions to your pathetic jibes.

And finally, you are naively unaware of the damage this forum does to Doncaster Rovers by constantly bitching and undermining the club, its management structure and its employees.

Answer me one simple question. If you were a talented and ambitious manager or player, would you realistically consider joining Doncaster Rovers after reading this forum? After all, it’s here for anyone to see. Crap board, crap manager, crap team, crap stadium, crap support... Crap, crap, crap, crap and more crap!

So, who’s going to find some cash to buy out Dickov’s contract? I’m guessing there’s maybe a hundred of you who are making all the noise so it’ll only be a couple of grand apiece.

Crowdfunder project anyone? Or do you expect those who you criticise all the time to dig into their pockets and fund your whims?

Get real. Get over yourselves and get behind the board, the manager and the team. This is the 3rd Division. It’s pretty much where we belong. We ain’t Madrid or Barcelona, we ain’t Chelsea or Man U.

We’re a third rate team in a third rate town who’ve never been in a real cup final (or even a semi final). We haven’t even finished a season in a Championship play-off spot and certainly never reached the Premiership.

Ignoring the post-war blip our crowds have averaged single figures and 10K has always been a big gate. We used to live in a tatty council house and now we live in a smart, former council owned semi. That’s who we are and that’s what some folk perhaps should remember.

Bleating about it ain’t gonna change a thing.

End of sermon.

RTID75

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on April 13, 2015, 11:20:50 am by RTID75 »
Post of the decade (so far) goes to Donnybob!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 13, 2015, 11:22:42 am by DonnyOsmond »
Really long post which basically just says accept being shit. Got it. x

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on April 13, 2015, 12:04:38 pm by The Red Baron »

That's how I read it as well.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on April 13, 2015, 12:12:15 pm by bobjimwilly »
who's "You" though Donnybob? Are forum users the Borg now?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on April 13, 2015, 12:21:01 pm by since-1969 »
I've seen Dean Saunders mentioned a few times. He took over at Crawley when they were in 21st place. Now they are in 20th, and still equal on points with 21st, just as they were... move on :)
Saunders since taking over in twenty games has 25 points PD same period 22 games 26 points . Deano has proved he can get players working for him PD with bigger higher paid squad has UNDER achieved .

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on April 13, 2015, 01:05:03 pm by Mr1Croft »

Very harsh on both Wellens and Copps.

Wellens is past his prime and shouldn't play 90 mins each week, but stealing a wage? Copps has shown 11 years loyal service to the club, played in every significant match over the last 10 years, scored a hat-trick to see us through to Wembley and scored the winning goal to secure us the League One title for the second time in the last 50 years, and they're simply facts. Overrated? I don't think so at all.

To be fair I'm probably being a bit harsh on Wellens but apart from his purple patch recently he's been a massive disappointment since the back end of last season (Reading anyone?) and most of this season. A shame when in his prime he is probably up there as one of our best Centre Mids.

As for Copps I said he is the most overrated player. He has skill and ability that is up there with the best on his day, I'm happy to admit that and he has been a loyal servant to the club, I am definitely a fan of his. However he has always been far too inconsistent. It must be 1 good game to 6/7 games where he goes unnoticed.

The 2007/08 season was a prime example, he had that amazing game in the play-offs and scored a fantastic hatrick. Before that game he'd only scored 3 all season. As I say he is great on his day, its just his day comes about once every 6 months.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on April 13, 2015, 01:15:36 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I see no improvement this season from last and under PD I doubt I will see any next even with a full uninterrupted pre season. I was of the opinion at the end of last season that he should have gone nothing has changed including the excuses. Get someone with tactical nous in and give them the budget, not wait until Xmas and give him the boot and putting us back to square one again.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
We have played largely very bad football these past two seasons.

Under Saunders/Flynn we also played largely very bad football.

The difference was that Saunders/Flynn played largely very bad football that was largely very effective.

The best situation to be in was a la SOD where we played largely very good football that was largely very effective, given our resources.

We now unfortunately have the worst of all worlds, playing largely very bad football that is largely ineffective.

Can we all agree on that?

courtney haddock-lately

• Forum Member
We have played largely very bad football these past two seasons.

Under Saunders/Flynn we also played largely very bad football.

The difference was that Saunders/Flynn played largely very bad football that was largely very effective.

The best situation to be in was a la SOD where we played largely very good football that was largely very effective, given our resources.

We now unfortunately have the worst of all worlds, playing largely very bad football that is largely ineffective.

Can we all agree on that?

I'd agree with that, but also add we seem to be missing the players who had passion. Brown and jones sping to mind.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on April 13, 2015, 06:12:13 pm by dickos1 »
I agree but I would also say 19 months into sods reign we were playing largely very bad football which was largely ineffective,
And look what a bit of patience did, now I'm not suggesting that will happen again, but you never know

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on April 13, 2015, 06:20:30 pm by dickos1 »

To me it says that as a fanbase, we ain't happy unless we're pissing and whine about something.
We won the title 2 years ago and this board was rammed every week with people moaning about the home form and the shite football, we played some of the best football any of us have ever seen under sod and this board was rammed with people moaning about sod being boring, showing no passion, playing his favourites, buying shit defenders, buying only small players.
And now were moaning because we're going to finish midtable, when many thought we would be in a relegation battle this year,

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on April 13, 2015, 07:25:30 pm by bobbymax »
There’s so much in-depth knowledge and expertise on here, I’m humbled to be able to read your views. Has there ever been such an outburst of positive emotion and well-balanced views anywhere on the planet? Perhaps it’s my rose-tinted spectacles that let me see this.

You wanted SOD out. You got your way.

You wanted Saunders out. You got your way.

Now you want the gob-sh*te back again – and for the life of me I cannot grasp why. Even benefiting from parachute payments and now having a 20-goal striker in a sh*t league he’s achieved exactly what? He’s still in danger of delivering three relegations for three teams in three seasons employing the most dire brand of football imaginable.

And he shows no loyalty whatsoever..., never sees a job through.

Now you want Dickov sacked because he is tactically inept and hasn’t delivered to your expectations.

When he’s gone you will love the next guy for a few games then you’ll want him out, too.

You are unhappy with the board because their ambitions don’t match yours.

You think the players lack skill and don’t give enough effort.

You don’t like the new stadium - decrepit as it was, Belle Vue had so much more appeal.

You don’t like the way the club advertises games.

You don’t like the food, the ticket office service, the stewarding.

You don’t like your fellow fans because they don’t sing when you want them to.

You don’t like the views expressed in the local press.

You are convinced the local radio stations have a hidden agenda against ‘your’ team.

You are certain that referees and their assistants deliberately rule against us all the time, are useless, biased and ineffectual.

You think we need a drum - and then you don’t.

You think the crowds are rubbish except when there’s a big game and then the folk who turn out are glory hunters.

You said the new stadium should have been a 20,000-seater not long ago..., should have had a more expensive (sweeping) roof and waffled endlessly about whether ‘pins’ had been laid to afford future expansion.

You think we should speculate, gamble, have a punt, recruit a sheik, an oligarch or a billionaire from that long list of suitors desperate to purchase the club. Indeed let’s do anything that might just deliver that dream of one season in the Promised Land, whatever the long-term cost and implications.

You didn’t like the fact that a local pop singer tried to involve himself with the club for a while yet you will still believe anything that Mr Ryan says because he’s The Messiah and can do no wrong. Even ‘the experiment’ was a success.

If you disagree with someone’s views you think it’s okay to post, ‘Well, f** off and support Leeds then!’ Without any consideration for the implications or reactions to your pathetic jibes.

And finally, you are naively unaware of the damage this forum does to Doncaster Rovers by constantly bitching and undermining the club, its management structure and its employees.

Answer me one simple question. If you were a talented and ambitious manager or player, would you realistically consider joining Doncaster Rovers after reading this forum? After all, it’s here for anyone to see. Crap board, crap manager, crap team, crap stadium, crap support... Crap, crap, crap, crap and more crap!

So, who’s going to find some cash to buy out Dickov’s contract? I’m guessing there’s maybe a hundred of you who are making all the noise so it’ll only be a couple of grand apiece.

Crowdfunder project anyone? Or do you expect those who you criticise all the time to dig into their pockets and fund your whims?

Get real. Get over yourselves and get behind the board, the manager and the team. This is the 3rd Division. It’s pretty much where we belong. We ain’t Madrid or Barcelona, we ain’t Chelsea or Man U.

We’re a third rate team in a third rate town who’ve never been in a real cup final (or even a semi final). We haven’t even finished a season in a Championship play-off spot and certainly never reached the Premiership.

Ignoring the post-war blip our crowds have averaged single figures and 10K has always been a big gate. We used to live in a tatty council house and now we live in a smart, former council owned semi. That’s who we are and that’s what some folk perhaps should remember.

Bleating about it ain’t gonna change a thing.

End of sermon.

And breathe! (But a lot of that did make sense)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on April 13, 2015, 07:39:29 pm by wilts rover »

Funnily enough I read it about the quality of posting and whining on the forum (certainly not yourself tho TRB) and fully agree with Donnybob there.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on April 13, 2015, 08:46:17 pm by The Red Baron »

Funnily enough I read it about the quality of posting and whining on the forum (certainly not yourself tho TRB) and fully agree with Donnybob there.

Wilts. Point taken. I am reasonably content with a lot of things at DRFC, although I'm not happy that we didn't make a better fist of reaching the play offs.

What stuck in my throat was the "third rate team in a third rate town bit" and the implication that we shouldn't aspire to better. I'm glad John Ryan didn't think like that.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on April 14, 2015, 02:04:45 pm by BobG »
I'm entirely with you too Wilts. Given the mass and long term epidemic of hyperbole which afflicts so many on this forum, I don't think an occasional example from DonnyBob is anything to get upset about either. We are a third rate team. By definition. And whether we like it or not, economically, environmentally and socially, we are a third rate town too. Cue brickbats.  It's all improving I agree. But grassing over a few slag heaps, knocking up a few Meccano construction kits and laying a bit more of the black stuff (get the reference?!!)  don't alter either the perceptions of the town (which are unbelievably poor in my neck of the woods), or, the reality when the majority of people live south of that dreadful line across the midlands. It's never never land in comparison where I live compared to even present day Donny. You might say it damn well is never never land and I should bloody well stay there. But it's reality. It's here. It's not going away. And it's a damn sight nicer than even today's Donny.

Of course, none of that changes the fact I'm from Donny, I'm proud of it and I'm proud of Donny Rovers.

BobG

VivaRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on April 14, 2015, 03:31:43 pm by VivaRovers »
I just hope I get enough time in the summer to record a spoken version of Donnybob's post and set it over Iggy Pop's Lust for Life ala Irvine Welsh's Choose Life monologue.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012