Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:08:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bundesliga Experience  (Read 4830 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Bundesliga Experience
« on May 25, 2015, 08:43:43 pm by IDM »
I happened to be in Germany this weekend, the final weekend of the Bundesliga fixtures.  As soon as I knew I was going, I arranged for a ticket for Hannover 96 vs Freiburg which turned out to be a relegation decider.

The bottom 2 teams go down, and 3rd bottom go into a relegation play off.  Before the game, Hannover and Freiburg were 4th and 5th bottom respectively, on the same points but Freiburg had the better goal difference.  In fact the bottom 6 were all in the relegation battle.

The equation for the Hannover game was simple - winner stays up irrespective of the other results.  Draw, and it is a case of what happens elsewhere (more risky for Hannover) - lose and there is a big risk of going down.

Having been to a match there before, I was inclined to favour the home side.  At the HDI Arena, the capacity is around 49000 and the away end is normally 3 or 4 blocks in one corner in both upper and lower tiers.  My ticket was for this area, but in the lower tier.  For this game, the away team only had 2 upper blocks - I was sat in front of them, more of that later.

My ticket allowed for free use on the city transport network, so I took the tram to the city centre, about a mile or so from the stadium.  From the station to the football ground was a sea of fans in club colours, in bars and cafes, slowly going to the ground.  It reminded me of the JPT final and the centre of Cardiff.

In the park approaching the ground were many stalls selling the usual German fare, beer and sausage etc as well as football souvenirs.  Again, there were thousands of fans everywhere, and a friendly atmosphere.

At the stadium, the ticket is scanned and a quick search at an outer gate - again all friendly and no big queues despite the sell out crowd.  Once in the "outer" concourse, you have access to all the stadium facilities.  This includes a variety of food outlets and bars etc.  The main difference was you need to buy a card first - a bit like a travel card - which costs 3 euros then you put credit on it.  Sounds complicated but it wasn't, and again no lengthy queues.

Then you make your way up to the inner concourse, which is an open plan area at the top of the bottom tier (there are stairs to the upper level).  You are able to wander around to the outer areas, to drink in the stadium and even to smoke.  The outlets take payment by touching the card on the machine by the till - quick and easy.  You can give the card back later and the 3 euros is paid back.

By then, after a currywurst and a frikky and (another) beer, it was time to find my seat and take in the atmosphere.  The Freiburg lot were already in their seats and making a lot of noise, constantly - they didn't stop before nor during the game.  As the stadium filled out, the atmosphere and noise levels grew.  I was in row 2 in a corner, quite low down but a great view of the end I was at.

The atmosphere continued after kick off and went up a quantum leap after 2 minutes when Hannover took a lead from a diving header after a great cross.  Despite the setback, the Freiburg fans continued their great support, but the first half was Hannover's.  Not too many chances, but quite entertaining.

At half time, after the whistle went, I managed to put more credit on the card, queue and buy another beer, then queue again for a 3rd time for a bratwurst, all before the second half started.  Now, because the concourse was open and behind the lower seats (20 odd rows) I decided to watch the second half standing up behind the seats.  This was no issue as many others did the same and it was in an open area.

In the second half, Freiburg were more positive going forward and looked a threat, and Hannover dangerous on the break.  The home goalie made a few decent saves, and as I hadn't got wifi credit I did not know the other scores, and a draw could put Hannover in the relegation places.  The atmosphere remained electric all half.

Then on 84 minutes a Freiburg defender attempted a goal line clearance but sliced the ball into his own net in a Sam Hird stylee.  Cue pandemonium - Freiburg would not score 2 surely and Hannover would be safe.

The 4th official's board said 4 added minutes, and Freiburg did score after 92 mins, but it was too little too late.  Their fans had heard the other scores and they knew they were down, but apart from a couple of beers being thrown, still carried on with their outstanding support (unlike our lot at Notts Co recently!).

The Hannover players and fans celebrated as if they had won the champions league, rather than avoided relegation.  Apart from this and the previous game, they hadn't won in the league since December.  I don't think the Bundesliga is as rich as our PL, but it is still a big thing.  It was very much like Wembley now.

As it happened, with the other results, a defeat would have seen Hannover relegated, and a draw would have put them in the relegation play off position. 

I left the stadium whilst the celebrations were ongoing.  Walking back into the city it was a little quieter, but I got the impression I could have joined in with any fans group in the bars and made friends and been there all night.

Now I haven't been to a PL fixture here for around 20 years, so I can't really compare with our country.  However, and this is no exaggeration this has to be in my top 5 of football experiences ever.  Absolutely everything about the experience, the atmosphere, the stadium, the match, the result, absolutely everything was all football should be about. 

Yes, it isn't going to be the same every fixture, but this was a hell of an experience for me.  I recommend anyone should go and watch the German football, if you get the chance.  If I can figure out how to, I'll upload some pics from my phone.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
Re: Bundesliga Experience
« Reply #1 on May 25, 2015, 09:12:42 pm by Askern_reds »
well if I put that lot on idm I reckon hour at least lol personally think Germans do lots of things better than anyone glad you enjoyed the experiance

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 25, 2015, 09:18:58 pm by IDM »
I did indeed Askern - I was anticipating a tense game but the atmosphere and the overall experience was much more than I imagined.  I wanted to share this - we all love the football experience and we've not had too much to shout about for a couple of years..

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on May 25, 2015, 09:35:04 pm by Askern_reds »
say that again, let's hope rovers fans got something to shout about soon,

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 25, 2015, 09:37:18 pm by RedRover45 »
Glad you enjoyed it mate. I've done nearly all the Dutch Eredivisie grounds and the Bundesliga is my next target. I've been going over and doing 3 games in a weekend in Holland. Great experience.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on May 25, 2015, 09:39:14 pm by IDM »
say that again, let's hope rovers fans got something to shout about soon,

Too right! This was Cardiff and Wembley rolled into one, and for a team I only have a passing affinity with..

Bundesliga highlights on ITV4 tonight...

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I've done nearly all the Dutch Eredivisie grounds and the Bundesliga is my next target. I've been going over and doing 3 games in a weekend in Holland. Great experience.

Sounds fantastic!  I will try and take in a fixture wherever I travel, if I can - having just missed out by a day on a local derby in the Maracana recently, I wasn't going to let this one go by...

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on May 25, 2015, 10:04:22 pm by IDM »
Before kick off, from row 2...

2nd half, view from the concourse level...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:20:18 pm by IDM »

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on May 25, 2015, 11:04:32 pm by BobG »
That is some bloody flag in that top pic IDM! I hope there weren't people who'd paid to watch the match underneath it!

Cheers

BobG

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 25, 2015, 11:06:44 pm by IDM »
That is some bloody flag in that top pic IDM! I hope there weren't people who'd paid to watch the match underneath it!

Cheers

BobG

didn't we used to pass around a huge shirt before a game?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:10:50 pm by IDM »

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on May 26, 2015, 12:17:53 am by bobjimwilly »

Cheers

BobG

didn't we used to pass around a huge shirt before a game?

yeah, but the numbers in the south stand got so low it couldn't be done any more. plus I was the one who had to get it out myself and try and get ppl to help unfold the thing and pull it along. got too much in the end, so the community team use it now. I dare say if the black bank takes off as expected, it could be "surfed" again.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on May 26, 2015, 09:08:49 am by Hounslowrover »
Glad you enjoyed it IDM.  My mate Herbert lives in Berlin, but he's a big Hannover fan and we kept in touch throughout the afternoon as the game progressed.  The win at Augsburg gave them hope, until then Herbert feared the worse!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 26, 2015, 11:20:19 am by IDM »
Yes, the form since the winter break had been shocking, with a steady decline in league position.  Maybe they'll do better next season.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 26, 2015, 01:40:32 pm by GazLaz »
I'm going to Bremen at the end of October. Hoping Dortmund are at home that weekend and I'll be able to get a ticket. It's not far on the train.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 26, 2015, 01:45:10 pm by IDM »
Not sure when the fixtures are announced over there.  You may get lucky and find Dortmund away to Werder that weekend?  There are quite a few Bundesliga teams not too far away if you are considering travel from Bremen to Dortmund, ie Hamburg, Hannover, Wolfsburg at least.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 26, 2015, 02:38:44 pm by Mike_F »
I'm on a stag do in Gdansk in September and hope to take in a Lechia Gdansk match in the polish top flight. Anyone been to a match in Poland? Any advice?

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 26, 2015, 04:00:47 pm by GazLaz »
The German fixtures are released reletavly early compared with Spain for example (I think) .

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on May 26, 2015, 04:27:03 pm by DaveDRFC »
When I had my stag do in Berlin 4 years ago we were hoping to go to watch Hertha Berlin at the Olympic Stadium. However, it was the last match of the season and they had won Bundesliga 2 so we couldn't get a ticket - best part of 80,000 people there for a second tier match! Great city though, would definitely go again.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 26, 2015, 04:29:18 pm by IDM »
I get the impression the German fans make quite a thing of the final fixture.  For the game at Hannover, this was priced as a high category game, ages before it became a crunch relegation battle, just by virtue of being the final fixture.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on May 26, 2015, 05:23:28 pm by Muttley »
I'm on a stag do in Gdansk in September and hope to take in a Lechia Gdansk match in the polish top flight. Anyone been to a match in Poland? Any advice?

Wear a Lonsdale trackie top if you want to fit in with the locals.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 26, 2015, 09:52:18 pm by Mike_F »
That's me sticking out like a sore thumb then. I was thinking of taking a couple of Rovers scarves to give away.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 26, 2015, 11:07:01 pm by BobG »
Just don't call the place Danzig, Mike, in a moment of forgetfulness!

BobG

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 27, 2015, 10:09:35 am by Mike_F »
I quite like being alive, Bob so I reckon I'll be careful on that front!

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on May 27, 2015, 11:10:10 am by silent majority »
Mike_F,

I haven't done any club games in Poland but I have been to a few games there when England were playing. Its all a bit hairy to be honest! But the last Euros went off OK (within reason) and the new stadiums have transformed the place.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on May 27, 2015, 11:18:14 am by Mike_F »
Cheers SM. Might have to tread carefully then. I thought taking a couple of scarves as goodwill tokens might help but it may be best to gauge the atmosphere and make a call on the day!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012