Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 10:25:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Huge result  (Read 13843 times)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Huge result
« Reply #30 on August 29, 2015, 08:11:07 pm by dknward2 »
We've turned a corner just have to if we carry on or turn back scared

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 29, 2015, 08:19:39 pm by IDM »
Average performance?

In terms of football quality, yes I agree.

But in terms of effort, and determination, much much better.  Ground out a result today with a much changed, injury hit squad.  In the context of the season, this was excellent.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on August 29, 2015, 08:27:19 pm by ravenrover »
We've turned a corner just have to if we carry on or turn back scared
What if it's a cul de sac we have turned into with no turning space?

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on August 29, 2015, 08:28:19 pm by Donny Viking »
I'm not sure what you expect from Donny? Squad was thread bare today, just look at the bench!, and realistically that's what I expect from the club with 4 or 5 quality injuries, your'e looking at youngsters on the bench. Really good work rate, and decent performance against a good team. we took our chances they didn't. Scored from a set piece, Main scores, keeper makes a couple of good saves to keep us in the game. Good performance in my eyes and I went home happy. I texted a mate in second half when Main went off and Sinclair came on going to 5 man midfield saying 'looks like we are hanging on to 2-0 - hope we don't regret it', But as much as they attacked thought we looked more like scoring on the break. Good sub and good result, I was wrong PD got it it right (plan B  :clapping:on this occasion).

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 29, 2015, 08:32:42 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Well. We won. That's the main thing. We desperately needed to win any way at all today.

I have sooooo many reservations though.

Firstly: if Fleetwood is one of the best teams in the division then God help the standard of football in this country. They were truly appalling. I thought first half we did ok. I thought Main and Williams did well up front and the defence looked fairly solid. That wouldn't have been difficult for a defence of school kids against such a toothless attack.

Secondly: the midfield was very ordinary. I thought Chaplow was abysmal and our worst player by a country mile.

Thirdly: yes, we knew Fleetwood would come out and have a go in the second half and we let them play pretty much as they wanted. Fortunately for us, they were too bad to do anything with the ball when they had it. The number of times they got into decent positions and fluffed the cross or final pass was unbelievable.

Cameron Stewart: ok, first game, but looked like a fish out of water.

The second half was as dire as anything else we've seen this season.

As for Dickov and Rob Jones: no, I didn't feel sorry for Dickov at all. There was no doubt in my mind who was in charge in the dug out today, and it wasn't P Diddly. I had a little discussion  with Donny Baz and my bro in law, and I think we all agreed that Dickov looked like a man who didn't think he was going to be in a job for very long.

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 29, 2015, 08:38:54 pm by Donny Viking »
I don't know what you expect from a league 1 game!, In fact I've seen more boring premier games. I thought it was decent today and seen much worse at this level. We were effective and threatening at times. Fleetwood were only ok because we stopped them playing. Effort will win you a lot in this division. 2nd goal was really good footie for me.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 29, 2015, 08:47:14 pm by mrfrostsdad »
Second goal was a good move Viking.
But if that's the standard of football in the third tier, things are desperate.
Sorry, but that's how I see it. Could you imagine a single player out there today playing at a higher level?? Ok, maybe our goalkeeper

murham

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 29, 2015, 08:50:55 pm by murham »
Want rid of Dickov
But you can't fault the lads today
They put in a shift and got their result

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on August 29, 2015, 08:53:25 pm by Donnywolf »
We've just beat a very good side, how can you surmise we won't win many more?

They were toothless though. Could and should have scored against us as they had a lot of play. If we're to meet our targets we must be better than struggling to beat (the likes of) Fleetwood at home.

Thought the back 4 were brilliant though today. Midfield not so.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on August 29, 2015, 08:53:59 pm by IDM »
mfd, this was one game.  It as better than some of our previous games, and until the injuries resolve and/or new players join, with virtually nowt on the bench to really change the game, it was probably as good as we can expect.

There will be better games to watch in the division, entertainment wise, and worse.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on August 29, 2015, 08:58:34 pm by Donnywolf »
Sorry, but that's how I see it. Could you imagine a single player out there today playing at a higher level?? Ok, maybe our goalkeeper

Not even him imo ... he made a couple of unforced errors today and came when he should not have and vice versa

He has saved us some points already this Season though so I should not be too critical

Distribution not great generally either. He prompted my comment "Aim for the Green bit between the Stands" twice when taking dead ball kicks. Sulli was the worst offender at that though

Donny Viking

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 29, 2015, 08:59:30 pm by Donny Viking »
No I couldn't, and that's why I don't want to go up this year. Toy with the play off's yes, but we are nowhere near good enough for promotion. we need to build for that, but fans aren't patient enough. Honestly I don't think any of our players could step up to the championship. Evina and Main maybe?, but they are big asks - the rest are too old or not good enough for me and too late to develop, but no doubt good league 1 players.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 29, 2015, 10:00:30 pm by mrfrostsdad »
I DO want us to go up this season, but don't think for a minute we will. We're not good enough, even at this level.
I think the fans are (relatively) patient. The problem is: we've gone downhill faster than an Olympic bobsleigh champion since Dickov took charge. If we were making progress, I think people would be more patient. But we're not making progress

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on August 29, 2015, 10:00:54 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Great effort today and the second goal was classic counter attack.
Delighted for Curtis.
Stuckman and Williams superb and Copps had a good game. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but today made the three hour round trip well worth it.RTID.
Ps I'll be back for more on Tuesday night.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on August 29, 2015, 10:46:55 pm by dickos1 »
We have half a dozen first team regulars injured we've just beaten a side tipped to do well this year who have a massive squad and have spent plenty of brass.
And yet were moaning that it wasn't very good....
It is pretty pathetic,
If you're not happy after a 2-0 win you never will be

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 29, 2015, 10:58:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Jesus!

Six first teamers out injured and a senior pro acting like a Kitson; we win and keep a clean sheet against a side who have had an excellent start to the season and folk are moaning that we didn't play like Cruyff-era Ajax.

Do folk ever reflect on whether they are acting like spoilt Kitsons?

It's like having Damage-era Juliette Binoche served up in your bedroom on a bed of scented Eider down, naked apart from some strategically placed dabs of kaylie, then complaining that their wasn't a piece of liquorice provided to use to mop the kaylie up.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:05:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 29, 2015, 11:02:23 pm by Copps is Magic »
Did any of the above two posters attend the game?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 29, 2015, 11:06:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Copps.

No I didn't. Does that invalidate my comments about the threadbare nature if the squad?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 29, 2015, 11:11:19 pm by dickos1 »
Nope,
But beforehand when we knew about the injuries even before we knew about wellens, everybody was saying its the result that matters the performance is irrelevant, but now we've won the performance is important again.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 29, 2015, 11:15:30 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Nope,
But beforehand when we knew about the injuries even before we knew about wellens, everybody was saying its the result that matters the performance is irrelevant, but now we've won the performance is important again.

Are the people moaning about the performance the exact people who said the result was important?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:21:28 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 29, 2015, 11:16:18 pm by Copps is Magic »
Rate, OK.

I've read the thread and I don't see the things you two are on about. Most seem to be saying words to the effect of 'thank god we won but the performance wasn't the best'. I don't consider that moaning, I consider that constructive criticism. I am sure PD is aware we didn't play to our full potential today and is trying to improve things - I certainly hope that is how it works.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on August 29, 2015, 11:23:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Copps

Go back and have another look. I've seen five posts explicitly complaining about the performance and another 2, possibly 3 implicitly complaining.

And others on other threads.

But I appreciate that once you've (collective "you" not one aimed at YOU) nailed your colours to the mast about wanting the manager out, you'll complain about everything from the performance to the personal hygiene of the fans sat near to you. I've been there in the past.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 29, 2015, 11:38:22 pm by Copps is Magic »
Yeah, I've seen your posts about being wrong about SOD - but wasn't that after a handful games? We're into the third season with this one, surely a bit more evidence to go on?

I think you and Dickos are taking things one step too far. You're basically  suggesting that anyone who has previously said 'Dickov out' is now having irrational/biased opinions about everything else. Like when people point out that today's performance was 'just OK' (and that's all it was), that this is somehow down to their impaired judgement.

We're an average side at home at the moment. That's just the way I see it having gone to the games. If by some chance that is entirely down to the mitigating circumstances that are constantly listed (injuries, pre-season, etc etc.) and nothing to do with the manager then I am wrong.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:44:18 pm by Copps is Magic »

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 29, 2015, 11:40:16 pm by les@donr »
This is the first win of the season in the league, need a run to save PD's job.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 29, 2015, 11:47:49 pm by Dare to dream! »
BST

Do you think Dickov will turn it around?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on August 29, 2015, 11:52:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Copps

No. It was after 15 months. 11 of which had been f**king awful.

As I've said times many, I learned then that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. That's why I now abstain in these discussions.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 29, 2015, 11:52:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Dare.

See above.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 29, 2015, 11:58:53 pm by pib »
Yawn!

If you blather on endlessly in the discussion about how you're abstaining from the discussion, are you really abstaining from the discussion?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 30, 2015, 12:05:26 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Pib

I don't want to discuss it with you.

Read what I write instead of what you want to think I write, then decide if your question was really necessary.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on August 30, 2015, 12:10:40 am by Lesonthewest »
I comment on it as I see each home game, great result & one we needed badly, but, yet again in front of our home supporters, the football is absolutely awful to watch, that today, in my opinion, is not entertainment, just saying like.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012