Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 06:52:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Update - new manager search  (Read 23346 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Update - new manager search
« Reply #60 on September 15, 2015, 06:15:20 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Alan,

Players being signed on a free is no way to gauge what your budget is. Throughout the UEFA area something like 95% of transfers don't include a fee, yes we all see the headline signings that some PL clubs make but that doesn't tell the story. UEFA themselves have signalled that we may soon see the end of transfer fees altogether.

As for the actual budget itself, its a matter of public record what clubs spend on salaries, and sooner or later they have to disclose that. At the start of every season every club, (and at stages throughout the same season) have to provide the FL with detailed budgets, its part of FFP, and the FL will report back as to how that club shapes up. There is not many hiding places for clubs these days.

But I repeat, if it is a cheap option then why do it this way?. Surely the cheapest option would be to keep PD in place?

When the club discloses what it spends on salaries does that figure include everyone on DRFC's payroll from the CEO down?

Yep it has to.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on September 15, 2015, 06:31:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
SM, PD was the cheapest solution from the off and to me, that is part of the reason he lasted as long as he did. SOD didn't get the same leniency, did he?

The sustainability issue was becoming a problem as soon as crowd numbers started to wane and that soon got their attention!

I fully appreciate everything you have explained and if you read what I wrote, you can work out that I understand what you have written. I still have a deep underlying feeling that what the Board are saying publicly and what they think privately, or behind the Boardroom door, are 2 different things entirely. Going on very recent history, I just don't think they are prepared to push us to where U.S. Supporters would prefer to be.

I wait with baited breath to see what the next move is and that may well show their commitment to their stated aims.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on September 15, 2015, 06:56:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Where us supporters want to be? That can vary from fan to fan.

So Alan, you get to know more details about the accounts. Then what? You come out and say I told you so? Then what?

What is the actual point of it? What will be clear is the board are spending more than income, but I take it you're not satisfied with that?

So, from where you stand now, do you believe the board should be spending more on player wages and transfers, spending more on player management and reducing ticket prices?

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on September 15, 2015, 07:05:18 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
SM, PD was the cheapest solution from the off and to me, that is part of the reason he lasted as long as he did. SOD didn't get the same leniency, did he?

The sustainability issue was becoming a problem as soon as crowd numbers started to wane and that soon got their attention!

I fully appreciate everything you have explained and if you read what I wrote, you can work out that I understand what you have written. I still have a deep underlying feeling that what the Board are saying publicly and what they think privately, or behind the Boardroom door, are 2 different things entirely. Going on very recent history, I just don't think they are prepared to push us to where U.S. Supporters would prefer to be.

I wait with baited breath to see what the next move is and that may well show their commitment to their stated aims.

The ironic thing is Alan that the accounts show the club is not a sustainable level and that the level of owners funding is as high as ever...

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on September 15, 2015, 07:16:39 pm by Yorkiered »

The ironic thing is Alan that the accounts show the club is not a sustainable level and that the level of owners funding is as high as ever...

When people go on about the playing budget and at whatever level it is.Then if the salaries in the accounts are for "ALL" employees how can anyone tell what the playing budget is?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on September 15, 2015, 07:32:54 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
At the end of the day Alan, the owners are running the club to their best ability. Without them we would be f*cked. That's the alternative. There is no other alternative waiting in the wings.   

When was the last time we had issues paying wages, or had HMRC issuing a winding up order?

One by one, all the conspiracies' about TB & DWs unscrupulous motives have been dismissed.

If we could all accept that they will do what they can financially, then I think we'd be in a much better place.           

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on September 15, 2015, 08:21:40 pm by Alan Southstand »
I have made it perfectly clear what I believe, DBR. I do not need you to invent something else. I take it, then, from your post, you are happy with us in the league we're in? Or am I now inventing something on your behalf?

There is no conspiracy theory, my, you are getting carried away. It's a discussion that's all. I have a distrust stemming back from years of watching our Club. All I am saying is the playing staff quality and size coupled with the stated ambition and then a supposed fantastic budget, why are we floundering so badly? No RB, no strength in depth, I could go on. It just doesn't add up to me. Simply that.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on September 15, 2015, 08:46:28 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Alan, I'm just generalising a tad.

Budget size and player acquisition is all relative to where we are, not where we've been or where we might be in the future.

I have no reason to believe the budget isn't good enough to give us a chance to do well. Well enough to get out of this division. However, it has to be managed well. The team has to be managed well. The players and management when they cross that white line will not be thinking about budgets, wages etc, they should be thinking about how to win a game.

As for me, the honest truth is I get excited when we play well and win in any division. I get depressed when we don't in ANY division. I can do f*ck all about the budget but I can scream, shout, applaud and cheer at the matches.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on September 15, 2015, 08:57:28 pm by drfchound »

I may have missed something written previously Alan, but how do you know that PD was the cheapest option when he got the job?
Is it written down anywhere how much he was paid and how much the other candidates at the time were asking for?
Without that information, how can you know he was the cheapest option?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on September 15, 2015, 09:48:32 pm by Alan Southstand »
Drfc, it's all there mate, if you can't work it out, I can't be arsed to start it all again!

Engage brain, read again and have a good long think about it.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on September 15, 2015, 09:56:59 pm by DRNaith »
If PD was the cheapest option 2 years ago, when Jones was around. Was Jones a more expensive option than PD?

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on September 15, 2015, 10:11:11 pm by grayx »
If PD was the cheapest option 2 years ago, when Jones was around. Was Jones a more expensive option than PD?

jones was a valuable member of the playing squad then.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on September 15, 2015, 10:19:51 pm by DRNaith »

jones was a valuable member of the playing squad then.

I value him highly now. Just a shame he appears to be injured again

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on September 15, 2015, 10:25:35 pm by Jonathan »
Not wanting to get into a row here, particularly as I like and respect Alan, however it does frustrate me how the word "sustainability" seems to carry such negative connotations amongst some. What on earth do we want our club to be, unsustainable? A sustainable business is surely everyone's aspiration no matter what sector you work in.

Sustainable doesn't necessarily have to be confused with self sufficient, if only! As it stands, going by the assumption of year on year trends, a sustainable level of owner investment is a seven figure annual subsidy. For that, as a fan, I am very grateful. Even more so as it's seen us bring in one of the division's top scorers and top goalkeepers amongst others. Am I happy with us trying to compete in this division? Yes. And at this stage of the season we still have a chance of putting ourselves into the mix. I'm very appreciative of our current owners. They are subsidising the running of our club, we are secure, and we have hope. 

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on September 15, 2015, 10:37:56 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
So, when Penney was appointed by a football man it was a shrewd appointment however, if Jones is appointed by non football men then it's a cheap option?

Who else did the football man appoint, Steve Wignall, Alan Lewer, Paul Dickov.

We could all claim to be football men but it doesn't mean we'd always get it right.

This is not a go at you Alan, some of my dear friends hold similar views.       

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on September 16, 2015, 10:42:51 am by silent majority »
I can't understand how a former Chairman of ours is classed as a 'football man'. What separates a football man from anyone else? What specific training or experience is required to be categorized as such?

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on September 16, 2015, 11:10:49 am by drfc1951 »
How much would you class as a cheap option?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on September 16, 2015, 11:51:52 am by drfchound »
Drfc, it's all there mate, if you can't work it out, I can't be arsed to start it all again!

Engage brain, read again and have a good long think about it.

Alan, i have engaged the brain and had another read of you post and thought about it BUT FROM WHAT YOU WROTE IN THAT PARTICULAR POST i cant see where it is documented how much PD was on and how much the other candidates had asked for.

I did say in my post that i may have missed something (meaning something written a few weeks/months/years ago) and my question was a genuine one and not really worthy of the sarcastic response i got.

So, once again, have i missed seeing how we know that PD WAS ACTUALLY a cheap option.
I am seriously interested to know whether it is true.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on September 16, 2015, 12:41:30 pm by NickDRFC »
I can't understand how a former Chairman of ours is classed as a 'football man'. What separates a football man from anyone else? What specific training or experience is required to be categorized as such?

I think, rightly or wrongly, the fact that JR attended most games and was fanatical about watching and discussing football means that many of our fans think he was better informed making appointments than a board who attend fewer games and don't have as much of an interest in football in general.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on September 16, 2015, 12:43:01 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I sure any prospective candidate would accept that their remuneration will be proportionate the the size and income of the club. A former Championship/premier manager is likely to temper their expectations. May be negotiate a bonus on achievement.

It's a two way street, so assuming we can't afford x,y,z is not always the case.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on September 17, 2015, 01:14:53 am by Sammy Chung was King »
Look at the quality players Paul had during his time with us, Saunders didn't have a quarter of what he was allowed, and his team was promoted at the end of the season, though he didn't finish the job.
In the championship Tamas, Meite etc, in league one Williams, Taylor-Sinclair, Chaplow etc, Saunders one top player was Cotterill with Coppinger and a few more then the rest triers.

I admired that Paul didn't moan about budgets, he got on with it, but in his whole time here, he never quite managed to consistently get the best from what he had.
In the championship we had a few memorable performances, but on the whole he failed after getting the team into a good position to avoid relegation.
He wasn't sacked he was given another season, again somehow we were in with a chance of the play-offs in a very poor league one, he failed again.

The board gave him another chance, he recruited well, but made do in positions not learning from the previous season, he did well in the cups as he did at Oldham.
But in the league, he had stopped the leaking of goals, but now had one of the best strikers in the league, and managed to turn him into a striker who doesn't get many goals.
The midfield needed strengthening, with younger ambitious players, what does he do?, give Keegan and Wellens contract extensions, instead of starting anew.

If i had been chairman last season, would have been his last chance, now if they get it wrong this time, the repercusions could be felt for the next ten seasons!.

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on September 21, 2015, 03:46:15 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'm guessing this week's update hasn't happened yet because I'm reality what is there to say?

donnydon

« Reply #82 on September 21, 2015, 04:32:49 pm by donnydon »
Anyone else heard Luke Williams name mentioned? Generally considered the driving force behind Swindon style of play, think that would be a great appointment

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on September 21, 2015, 04:35:58 pm by dickos1 »
Well they interviewed on Thursday they could say that

donnyguy61

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on September 21, 2015, 05:43:02 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
So it's what we expect.  I think the updates are good, up to us if we believe them or not (I'm very sceptical)

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on September 21, 2015, 05:45:32 pm by Dagenham Rover »
So it's what we expect.  I think the updates are good, up to us if we believe them or not (I'm very sceptical)

So am I tbh

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on September 21, 2015, 06:35:41 pm by Jonathan »
Look at the quality players Paul had during his time with us, Saunders didn't have a quarter of what he was allowed, and his team was promoted at the end of the season, though he didn't finish the job.
In the championship Tamas, Meite etc, in league one Williams, Taylor-Sinclair, Chaplow etc, Saunders one top player was Cotterill with Coppinger and a few more then the rest triers.

I admired that Paul didn't moan about budgets, he got on with it, but in his whole time here, he never quite managed to consistently get the best from what he had.
In the championship we had a few memorable performances, but on the whole he failed after getting the team into a good position to avoid relegation.
He wasn't sacked he was given another season, again somehow we were in with a chance of the play-offs in a very poor league one, he failed again.

The board gave him another chance, he recruited well, but made do in positions not learning from the previous season, he did well in the cups as he did at Oldham.
But in the league, he had stopped the leaking of goals, but now had one of the best strikers in the league, and managed to turn him into a striker who doesn't get many goals.
The midfield needed strengthening, with younger ambitious players, what does he do?, give Keegan and Wellens contract extensions, instead of starting anew.

If i had been chairman last season, would have been his last chance, now if they get it wrong this time, the repercusions could be felt for the next ten seasons!.

Just purely out of interest, what are your main considerations when deciding whether to refer to a leading Rovers figurehead in first name terms or otherwise? Intrigued as I've spotted recent references to Paul, Rob, John and Saunders!

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on September 22, 2015, 12:17:24 am by jonnydog »
Out of interest, who is the Bookies favourite currently?

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on September 22, 2015, 12:54:17 am by swintonrover »
Jones and Redfearn are both equal, I believe

TinyPortal © 2005-2012