Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 09:06:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: All aboard the "Jones Rovers Rovercoaster"  (Read 14163 times)

Rovers91

• Forum Member
Re: All aboard the "Jones Rovers Rovercoaster"
« Reply #30 on September 18, 2015, 10:24:04 pm by Rovers91 »
We'll trounce Oldham tomorrow. 3-0. Hope Jones gets the full support of the crowd.

We won't score 3, not a chance.

Positivity eh?

I think we will win, but score 3 goals? We struggle to score 1 at the minute.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 18, 2015, 11:17:44 pm by Askern_reds »
We'll trounce Oldham tomorrow. 3-0. Hope Jones gets the full support of the crowd.
want to av a bet? let's see if your all on the Jones band wagon tomz at tea time,

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 19, 2015, 12:21:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Not sure a central defender has ever been a successful manager, not just at DRFC but within football league ( only 1 I can think of is Jack Charlton). However I know there will be and probably have been exceptions to the rule, so I stand to be corrected.

Franz Beckenbauer didn't do badly.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 19, 2015, 12:33:51 am by River Don »
If a centre back includes sweeper, then Ronald Koeman hasn't done bad.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 19, 2015, 08:31:51 am by drfchound »
Only 4 in 40 years.
There have been loads of CBs that have been good managers.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 19, 2015, 08:32:55 am by Jonathan »
Just listened to the interview on BBC. The way that he comes across in the media has already progressed loads over the space of a week. Hopefully that'll translate into results and performances on the pitch later, too. Clearly he has the drive and determination to make a successful managerial career, I hope he makes a good start here over the coming weeks and that way he'll put himself in with a real chance of making a long term positive impact here.

Can only be open minded at this stage, but it'd be great for him and for us if it was to work out.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 19, 2015, 08:58:29 am by IDM »

What a daft thing to say - of course we have a chance!

We were a couple of decent saves away from scoring 3 against Fleetwood - or have you conveniently forgotten that?  I am not saying we will score 3, but we certainly have a chance...

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 19, 2015, 08:59:13 am by NickDRFC »
I'm not convinced we should be going with a novice at this stage but I have to say that I've generally been impressed by Jones and wouldn't be too disappointed if he ended up being the man. Every manager has to start somewhere and I don't think the position someone plays has any impact on their ability as a manager.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 19, 2015, 09:09:21 am by IDM »
Only 4 in 40 years.

Big Sam? Terry Butcher? David Moyes?

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 19, 2015, 09:11:57 am by Rovers91 »

What a daft thing to say - of course we have a chance!

We were a couple of decent saves away from scoring 3 against Fleetwood - or have you conveniently forgotten that?  I am not saying we will score 3, but we certainly have a chance...

I remember Fleetwood but I also remember Southend, Wigan, Port Vale, Gillingham, Walsall where we have failed to score, you could also put Bury in there as we only scored due to a fluke situation. I think we will win today but we won't score 3, we struggle to score that many in a month.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on September 19, 2015, 09:14:58 am by IDM »
So, we cannot improve then?

By your logic, we're already relegated!

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 19, 2015, 09:54:15 am by Rovers91 »
So, we cannot improve then?

By your logic, we're already relegated!

Yes we can improve I've predicted we will win today, that is an improvement on our recent results. Don't cry just because I said we won't score 3 goals.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 19, 2015, 10:20:17 am by The Red Baron »
Only 4 in 40 years.

Big Sam? Terry Butcher? David Moyes?

Not sure the other two would want to be associated with Terry Butcher, who was a fabulous player but has been a generally disastrous manager.

Next question: Do great players make good managers? There's plenty of evidence that they don't.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 19, 2015, 10:43:17 am by NickDRFC »
I think a great player doesn't necessarily make a great manager and likewise an average players doesn't necessarily translate to an average manager. Look at Dalglish and Beckenbauer - both top, top players and very successful managers - but also look at say Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton, who couldn't translate their playing ability to management. On the other side of the coin you've got Wenger and Mourinho who were very limited players but have been excellent managers.

I think playing the game helps in terms of an understanding but it really doesn't matter if that playing experience is Champions Leagues and World Cups or the French 4th division.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 19, 2015, 11:02:26 am by DonnyOsmond »
Beckenbauer
Lippi
Scolari
Blanc
Benitez
Bielsa
Pochettino
Pellegrini
Koeman
De Boer
Dyche
Bruce
Pearson
Monk
Pulis
Allardyce
Moyes
Hughton
Hodgson
McCarthy

Wenger and Klopp both played in defence aswell as other positions.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 19, 2015, 11:18:47 am by wilts rover »
Slaven Bilic was a centre half when he played for West Ham

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 19, 2015, 11:22:33 am by grayx »
Does a loss tomorrow rule Jones out as a contender?

I'd say probably. We wont get many better chances of a home win.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 19, 2015, 11:26:58 am by wilts rover »
There have been great players who have been good managers, Cruyff, Keegan, Beckenbauer, but generally they dont. It's more often the average players - all be it the more intelligent average players.

That's because they have to work hard to study the game, follow the tactics, analyse and study what's going on around them to be able to make a career in the game. Those with more natural talent dont, it just comes naturally to them. Which is fine for your own performance, but when you have to organise other people into a team you require different skills.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 19, 2015, 11:38:34 am by The Red Baron »
Wilts

I remember it being said of Glenn Hoddle when he became manager of Swindon that he could do things with the ball that left his players agape with admiration. Trouble was, Hoddle struggled to understand why his players couldn't manage to do the same.

As you say, players who were more technically limited than a Hoddle usually have to work hard at the game and maybe think about it a bit more.

Interesting that of arguably our best three managers since WW2 that two of them were highly gifted players while one was a hard worker and deep thinker. Just goes to show...

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 19, 2015, 06:26:02 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well, unfortunately there was no evidence of Rob Jones said prematch. Didn't see anything different at all. Most disappointingly, even without any evidence of a change of approach, there was no evidence of a change of attitude.

You do wonder if we definitely need a pair of fresh eyes.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on September 19, 2015, 06:29:38 pm by dickos1 »
What a manager did or didn't do as a player is totally irrelevant

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 21, 2015, 07:15:56 am by Wild Rover »
Beckenbauer
Lippi
Scolari
Blanc
Benitez
Bielsa
Pochettino
Pellegrini
Koeman
De Boer
Dyche
Bruce
Pearson
Monk
Pulis
Allardyce
Moyes
Hughton
Hodgson
McCarthy

Wenger and Klopp both played in defence aswell as other positions.

How many started managerial career  in the Football League as managers, which is what I said.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 21, 2015, 07:39:03 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Well, unfortunately there was no evidence of Rob Jones said prematch. Didn't see anything different at all. Most disappointingly, even without any evidence of a change of approach, there was no evidence of a change of attitude.

I disagree, I thought there was more attacking intent and more tempo to our play second half, which was very positive.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 21, 2015, 08:06:20 am by Rovers91 »

I disagree, I thought there was more attacking intent and more tempo to our play second half, which was very positive.

Was that mainly due to the fact we were playing poorer opposition? We should be showing more attacking intent against Oldham at home they are the weakest team we have played so far this season. I have to agree with DonnyBazRover.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 21, 2015, 08:16:23 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Was that mainly due to the fact we were playing poorer opposition? We should be showing more attacking intent against Oldham at home they are the weakest team we have played so far this season. I have to agree with DonnyBazRover.

Hard to tell isn't it? We can't judge a Jones side after one home game.  He has two or three more games really and that may show a pattern.  It just felt to me like we did a few small things differently but they weren't radical, just small.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on September 21, 2015, 08:28:28 am by Donnywolf »
Not for me,anyone that says they can bring loan players in but is happy with what we have is a no from me

Thinking of this the other day and (hypothesising of course) Jones MAY have wanted to show what he could get out of EXACTLY the same pool of Players as against what PD had managed in the previous games this Season

If he RJ had managed to do this he could thus have "promoted" himself up the Managerial Job stakes

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 21, 2015, 09:03:04 am by wing commander »
mmmm I wasn't that impressed either if im honest...Whilst I had questions over Jones tactical ability the one thing I was expecting to see was passion,commitment and a whole different attitude to the game....So against a terribly poor team like Oldham I was so disappointed with that first half display..Tepid,slow and directionless and devoid of everything I was hoping to see...Yes we improved after half time and Danny came on and gave us more threat but still devoid of much football and I never really thought we were going to score... The main plus points were Danny's little Cameo performance and I thought Sinclair had a much better game..The negatives...Main was abysmal AGAIN and as soon as possible needs taking out the team..And the new lad from QPR,first time I've seen him and he has to be better than the performance he gave...I haven't changed my mind,still think we need a completely new man and ideas..

Sub note....Ive just read the following comment from Jonesy after the match so I'm even more convinced now......."Wellens changed the game when he came on,although that's taking nothing away from Oscar who I thought was terrific but his legs had gone" Words fail me on that comment if he was terrific I'm pele
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:38:16 am by wing commander »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on September 21, 2015, 09:45:34 am by The Red Baron »
He's hardly going to say that Gobern or anyone else was bobbins, is he?

But it is the nagging doubt I have about appointing RJ permanently. Namely that he's too close to the current squad and won't rock the boat.

I think the question the Board members need to ask themselves is this: Does the squad / team we currently have need a bit of fine tuning, or does it need a major overhaul? If the former, then RJ is a serious candidate for the job. If not, it needs a different pair of eyes.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on September 21, 2015, 10:06:29 am by wing commander »
Fine tuning?????? More like a blown head gasket....lol

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on September 21, 2015, 10:38:45 am by The Red Baron »
I haven't seen Rovers this season and the only lengthy footage I've seen was an hour of the Leeds game, when we looked ok. However, all the things I've read about and been told about suggest we are some way off being a top six team. That is presumably where we believe we should be, so that suggests surgery is needed.

If that's the case we probably have to view it like 2006-07, when we did change managers after an underwhelming start. We probably therefore have to write off the possibility of challenging for promotion, consolidate under the new manager and hope for a Cup run to generate some interest.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012