Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 09:38:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Which candidate would unite the fans?  (Read 13645 times)

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
Re: Which candidate would unite the fans?
« Reply #30 on September 28, 2015, 07:34:42 pm by sheffield exile1 »
If we got Guardiola some people on here would still moan!
I am afraid that although social media sites such as this are a bonus for us fans to have a say regarding our club, the downside is the sad comments I see frequently on here. I am a Doncaster Rovers fan. I support my team. I have followed them from years in the 4th division doldrums, to the depths of the bottom of the conference, to the dizzy heights of 6th in the Championship. Frankly I dont really care if we have a new home shirt with 3 extra red stripes and a collar, a sky blue with yellow dots away shirt or hot dogs at inflated prices with a sushi bar selling Japanese lager. Whoever my board appoints I will give them a chance and back them as a Doncaster Rovers supporter. Give them a chance. I am appalled at the abuse levelled at Jones by some. How many of you are perfect 2-3 weeks into a new job? Same with whoever comes in. Yes if I am unhappy with the new manager I will criticize. I did with Dickov, but that was after a long time. Lets be real. We are still a small/medium club with a lower than average fan base by years of decline before recent success/new ground. So if its Evans, Derry, Redfearn, the pope, etc lets give him a chance please!!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on September 28, 2015, 07:53:46 pm by Lesonthewest »
Rob Jones is so logical in many ways and he certainly has the passion.

He has had 3 games so far and absolutely nothing has changed.
Still the same like for like substitutions. Nothing different to try and change the way we are playing.
No thanks.

What substitutions would you have made with the personel available?

I think N'Guessan will feel hard done by he did well against Oldham and didn't even get on pitch against Sheff Utd I would have started him.
[/quote

Agreed, looked a real handful second half of the Oldham game, winning almost everything in the air & creating a few chances, would have thought Williams would benefit playing off him. Unless he wasn't completey fit for Sheff Utd I found it strange starting the loanee in front of him.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on September 28, 2015, 08:00:50 pm by BobG »
I suspect it's a bit of a given that ex professional footballers  will know a reasonable amount "about football". The questions the Board and the Chief Executive will be asking will be much more to do with vision, style, management, experience, achievements and track record. I would be quite surprised if it is not, basically, a competancy based interview.

BobG

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 28, 2015, 08:50:06 pm by Yorkiered »
I suspect it's a bit of a given that ex professional footballers  will know a reasonable amount "about football". The questions the Board and the Chief Executive will be asking will be much more to do with vision, style, management, experience, achievements and track record. I would be quite surprised if it is not, basically, a competancy based interview.

BobG

Lawrie McMennemy; Excellent manager never played professional football.
Bobby Charlton: One of England finest footballers, hopeless failure as a manager.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 28, 2015, 09:05:58 pm by bedale rover »

BobG

Bobby Charlton: One of England finest footballers, hopeless failure as a manager.

José mourinho
Never played professional football
Probably the most successful manager in recent history

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 28, 2015, 09:10:22 pm by Yorkiered »

BobG

José mourinho
Never played professional football
Probably the most successful manager in recent history

He would never have got an interview for the Rovers job then  ;)

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 28, 2015, 09:36:34 pm by Askern_reds »
anyone  who sees the team for wat it is, ( crap) ruthless  to go through the squad and have the guts to rip it apart and get rid  of who he sees fit, a man who stands up to the board and demands what he wants, a man who as his own back room staff and list of players who will not only will get us promotion but will keep us in the championship, impossible ?? ask the owners at the next meeting what they realy want and cut the bullshit out

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on September 28, 2015, 09:39:23 pm by The Red Baron »
In response to your final point, did you go to the last meeting and put that question to the owners?

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on September 28, 2015, 10:15:46 pm by BobG »
Your ability to entirely overlook the big picture is staggering Yorkie.

Cheers

BobG

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 28, 2015, 10:25:01 pm by Yorkiered »
Your ability to entirely overlook the big picture is staggering Yorkie.

Cheers

BobG

Yes it is easy to see what is wrong when you read it in newspapers, see clips on tv and comments on websites but very rarely actually watch the team play isn't it?

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 28, 2015, 10:43:57 pm by grayx »
Rob Jones is so logical in many ways and he certainly has the passion.

unfortunatley we've yet to win a game under RJ . Needs to win next two to stand a chance i reckon.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 29, 2015, 01:30:01 am by Sammy Chung was King »
We are scared of the future at the minute.
Rob has had a bad situation to take over, for such an inexperienced manager, it's very hard to judge over three games, he is in limbo at the minute, until he has complete control, he can't change things much.
The problem is, if after say two or three months and he has been appointed, and nothing has changed what will we want then?
I see no value in appointing Redfearn over Jones, he doesn't have anymore experience, Jones co managed a promotion team, Redfearn did well as caretaker at Leeds, got the job permanent then results dropped off.

Rob has an insider knowledge of what's going wrong, Redfearn doesn't, but his advantage is that he will have no personal affiliations with any of the players, though Jones has said something along the same lines even though he has been a team mate.
For me it's important to get the right man for where we are, i would be really ambitious and offer McDermott the job, he fits into developing the youth system, get's results, and plays a mix of good football but his teams adapt to wha's needed.

Give him a three year contract, let him bring staff in with him, give him funds within reason, and let him get on with the job.
If not the Malky Mackay shout is a really good one, he shouldn't be kept out of football, for a private conversation that was leaked, the chairman wanted rid of him in my opinion, and though he was wrong, it was a private conversation.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on September 29, 2015, 07:59:26 am by IDM »
i would be really ambitious and offer McDermott the job,

If not the Malky Mackay shout is a really good one,

Assuming one or both of those has applied...

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 29, 2015, 08:37:22 am by glosterred »
It will be interesting to see how many unemployed managers are at the game tonight.

COYR

DRFCSouth

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 29, 2015, 08:40:34 am by DRFCSouth »
It will be interesting to see how many unemployed managers are at the game tonight.

COYR
Make sure we charge them entrance. Could be quite a number! 😆

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on September 29, 2015, 08:53:20 am by The Red Baron »
Apparently Fatty Evans rang up the club to ask for two seats for tonight's game. They asked if he was bringing Paul Raynor with him. He said, "no, they're both for me."

Boom, boom!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on September 29, 2015, 09:44:55 am by Alan Southstand »
I would be quite surprised if it is not, basically, a competancy based interview.

If that's the case, Bob, wouldn't we need someone with the appropriate competence on the interview panel?

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on September 29, 2015, 01:25:21 pm by bedale rover »
Haven't seen Paul lambert mentioned anywhere?

bfdoncaster west

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on September 29, 2015, 02:06:31 pm by bfdoncaster west »
Malky MacKay

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on September 29, 2015, 02:23:59 pm by Dare to dream! »
Malky MacKay

Would be a good appointment.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 29, 2015, 02:47:47 pm by Copps is Magic »
Now if we're talking about characters who I wouldn't want as manager then Malky 'I'm only sexist/racist/anti-semetic in private' MacKay would be right up there.

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on September 29, 2015, 02:59:32 pm by Askern_reds »
In response to your final point, did you go to the last meeting and put that question to the owners?
no I didn't as it would have made any difference they wouldn't take notice that would all have to come from the next gaffer

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 29, 2015, 03:36:31 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Nigel Farage.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 29, 2015, 03:37:56 pm by RedJ »
no I didn't as it would have made any difference they wouldn't take notice that would all have to come from the next gaffer

Hahahahaha what an absolute cop out.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on September 29, 2015, 03:44:19 pm by Yorkiered »
Nigel Farage.

Nah its got to be Nocher P  Now there was a prophet!!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on September 29, 2015, 03:59:59 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Just because your a nice fella dunt make you a good manager

Having the name Gary Megson doesn't make you one either.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on September 29, 2015, 05:25:07 pm by wilts rover »

I see no value in appointing Redfearn over Jones, he doesn't have anymore experience, Jones co managed a promotion team, Redfearn did well as caretaker at Leeds, got the job permanent then results dropped off.

Err Sammy, Redfearn has managed over 100 first team games, plus he has been manager of Leeds Academy and then Leeds Reserves since 2008, so there must be at least another 200-300 games there.

But apart from that...

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on September 29, 2015, 05:32:01 pm by Al4475 »
If (as I assume) mcdermott is out of range - one of the ex-local bosses may be a good shout, I'm not evans' biggest fan (obviously he clearly is) but I reckon he could turn things round! Ditto anyone of megson, clough, gray or even rob jones! Whoever gets it needs to turn things round quick and get the best out of (on paper) decent-to-good (for our league) players! I, like many others, think this is a vital appointment - but I also believe the board will get it right, one way or another, for long term progression!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:01:20 pm by silent majority »

timdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on September 29, 2015, 06:07:25 pm by timdrfc »
Didn't Redfearns results at Leeds drop off when Thompson left as his assistant

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on September 29, 2015, 06:09:10 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The answer is the one that gets results and get the team playing 'good' football.

On appointment of the manager will the fans turn up at his first game in large numbers? No.

Say he gets a couple of results, some people will return but others will wait to hear match reports etc.

There will still be scepticism whoever is appointed and it will take some time for fans to unite. So why rush the appointment? To satisfy the impatience and sceptical nature of us fans?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012