Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:01:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: SOD  (Read 20723 times)

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
Re: SOD
« Reply #60 on October 02, 2015, 08:02:46 am by Yorkiered »
They're too old Yorkie. SOD isn't too old.

BobG

You're missing the point.
What is it with Rovers supporters always wanting to bring back people who have previously been at our club?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on October 02, 2015, 08:08:35 am by wilts rover »
Every other (potential) manger whose name is being thrown about is being judged on his recent record-or lack of it. Yet O'Driscoll's recent record is being totally ignored and he is being judged on what he did 6/7/8 years ago - very strange.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on October 02, 2015, 10:18:17 pm by BobG »
Familiarity. People always feel more at ease with something, someone, they know. Plenty of studies on the subject. The effect is so strong that people are significantly more likely to go for an option they know rather than an option they don't know - even when that option is demonstrably better.

BobG

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on October 02, 2015, 10:36:02 pm by Copps is Magic »
Every other (potential) manger whose name is being thrown about is being judged on his recent record-or lack of it. Yet O'Driscoll's recent record is being totally ignored and he is being judged on what he did 6/7/8 years ago - very strange.

erm...  his recent record is having managed the England u19s having lost only 1 game while in charge including beating Italy 3-0. This season he's assistant manager at Liverpool and they're currently two points outside the champions league places which is I believe their target. That's his recent history.

In fact, he only really has one blip on his career which is while at Bristol, but he wasn't given particularly long there.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on October 03, 2015, 01:29:07 am by Sammy Chung was King »
He took over at Bristol city, a club in severe financial problems, with fans who expected far too much of a squad that he couldn't offload many from as they were contracted on silly money, nobody wanted them
The club he took over was bad to the core, it took a fair few years to sort out.
Nottingham Forest, were not patient enough to wait for him to work his magic, i also think he became a little disheartened at the way he lost his job with us.

Brendan Rodgers could have chose from many coaches, that he chose O'Driscoll along with McAllister tells you highly he rates both, McAllister had previous Liverpool connections, Sean didn't.
The club at the time didn't want to listen to his 'Yo-yo club idea', and neither did we the supporters, because we saw it as 'Defeatist talk', when really it was common sense.

Going back to an old manager is different, it doesn't matter if 'His leg's have gone', we only want his brain, and since he left us he can only have improved, it wasn't luck what he did for us, it was genius.

In the end the small squad he had, injuries and a few cheap poor signings, and missing out on players needed to maintain the squad, when we were strongest, which for me the board have to take a share of the blame, we were so close to playing in the premier league.
If he was in charge i would know i was guaranteed good football, my moneys worth, he would bring back the pride and excitement we have lost!.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on October 03, 2015, 08:12:45 am by wilts rover »
He took over at Bristol city, a club in severe financial problems, with fans who expected far too much of a squad that he couldn't offload many from as they were contracted on silly money, nobody wanted them
The club he took over was bad to the core, it took a fair few years to sort out.

He did exactly the same with Bristol City in his first season as Dickov did with us - nicely out of the relegation places until they took 2 points from the last 9 games and went down. They were rock bottom of League 1 - without winning a game - when they sacked him at the end of November, again a significantly longer period of time and worse run than Dickov had.

Cotterill then took the same squad to a mid-table finish - and won the league at a canter the next season. With the same financial backing Sean had. It didn't take years to sort out at all.

And it certainly wasn't the only blip in his career was it? The football in his last season with us was appalling. As was the injury list throughout it.

Opposition managers sussed him out a long time ago, as his record shows. As it also shows the best job for him now is working with young skilled players in a unpressurised environment, such as England U19's.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on October 03, 2015, 09:23:31 am by The Red Baron »
It's a shame that this thread has just given the SO'D bashers a chance to vent their collective spleens.

And for the record I don't think he should come back, any more than I think JR should come back as Chairman. Let's look forward, not back.

red w(h)ine

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on October 03, 2015, 12:01:02 pm by red w(h)ine »
I'm a SOD fan but should he come back - no. Most of his reputation was built on the few amazing seasons with us. After 7 seasons he left Bournemouth in almost exactly the same position as when he had taken over.
Great manager for us for a few years but those times have gone and we should all move on.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on October 03, 2015, 01:51:01 pm by Alickismyhero »
I will be very surprised and pleased if Sean was to come back.

I know for a fact that Sean was treated very badly during the period of his "Gardening leave" which lead to a threat of legal action before things were sorted. Who was responsible for the bad treatment I really don't know but the club must be held responsible.

I believe Sean to be a very honourable man who has proved to be our best ever manager.

I suspect Sean has a very good opinion of Watson in that what "Watson says , goes. Watson wasn't the one who said “Sean's job is safe” then 24hrs later Sean was sacked for the start of the “football circus”period.

I know that Sean takes a very philosophical view on management in football in that the sack goes with the job and that provided the club honours the contact, you move on.

If he had been approached for the job he will be going through his normal “Due Diligence” criteria.

Before anyone harps on about Sean's lack of honour for walking away from Crawley, just bear in mind players, like Sharp, have a clause in their contract giving them their way out if a better offer comes in, its the same for managers.

I don't know all the facts about Sean's view with the reserve's and youth teams and why he took the action that he took during that period but I am sure he will get that sorted with his due diligence process.

Millennium Stadium, Wembley Stadium come back Sean I miss the O'Driscoll way of playing football.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on October 03, 2015, 02:07:26 pm by RedJ »
Give it a f**king rest, mate.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on October 03, 2015, 02:15:03 pm by i_ateallthepies »
RedJ, what is the point of a football forum if people can't say what they think.  The man hasn't said anything defamatory about anyone or trying to wind anyone up.  Just giving his thoughts about a current topic of discussion.  Wind your neck in.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on October 03, 2015, 02:20:03 pm by Alickismyhero »
Look Mate,

I always make my comments in a respectful way and when I disagree with an opinion I say why, also in a respectful way.

Could you tell me why I should give it a rest?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on October 03, 2015, 05:12:08 pm by Alickismyhero »
I had a word with a little bird and there is no truth in the rumour whatsoever!!!!!

"Sean's been no where near the Directors Box".

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on October 03, 2015, 06:58:26 pm by Yorkiered »
Thank god for that.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on October 03, 2015, 07:45:31 pm by Alickismyhero »
Personally I disagree with your comment but I think you are in total agreement with Sean O'Driscoll on the matter, as it happens!

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on October 04, 2015, 06:34:16 pm by karldew »
Rodgers sacked, does that mean SOD is now out of a job?

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on October 04, 2015, 06:46:30 pm by glosterred »
Oh for a manager with a 50% win ratio

COYR

P.S is it to late for him to apply for the Rovers job?

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on October 04, 2015, 06:52:22 pm by Rovers91 »
Please no no no, he was fantastic for us but any manager in the world would have been sacked with that run we went on need new ideas and a new manager to lead us.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on October 04, 2015, 06:57:22 pm by Copps is Magic »
A man with outstanding knowledge of England youth players and young players in Liverpool's set-up. It's a no brainer.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on October 04, 2015, 06:58:38 pm by wilts rover »
I would presume then that, until they say any different, Sean O'Driscoll is now the acting manager of Liverpool FC.?

greenvale

« Reply #80 on October 04, 2015, 07:01:19 pm by greenvale »
Well now that Rogers is out of Liverpool, his backroom staff will be looking for new homes

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on October 04, 2015, 07:09:29 pm by Copps is Magic »
They don't play a game for 2 weeks and the statement on their website seems to suggest they'll employ a manager very quickly. Klopp is currently odds on favourite.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on October 04, 2015, 07:44:52 pm by wilts rover »
There is an U18's game next weekend and anyone not involved in the internationals will be doing  light training I should have thought. There is also the progress, and any issues, with the players out on loan. Someone will have to be managing that until Jurgen Klopp or Steve Evans starts.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on October 04, 2015, 07:56:18 pm by The Red Baron »
They don't play a game for 2 weeks and the statement on their website seems to suggest they'll employ a manager very quickly. Klopp is currently odds on favourite.

I think it is pretty clear that someone at Liverpool has already sounded out Jürgen Klopp. Pretty underhand when you have a manager working for you. Although quite a lot of people think we should have done the same.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on October 04, 2015, 08:02:40 pm by Jonathan »
I'd be lumping the money on Ancelotti rather than Klopp.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on October 04, 2015, 08:45:56 pm by dickos1 »
Few people "in the know" say Klopp deal is already done

Askern_reds

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on October 04, 2015, 11:01:54 pm by Askern_reds »
ffs sake dose anyone on here realy thinks sod will come back, your in wonderland and I for 1 dosent want him, did we not sack him for not been good enough ? Might be wrong

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on October 04, 2015, 11:27:59 pm by BobG »
You are Askern.

BobG

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on October 04, 2015, 11:30:18 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
He was lacking to some degree, maybe he's improved AND maybe we are a little more realistic about our level nowadays (ie we are at best a tier 2 to 3 yo yo club). That's not to say we can't make the prem or even top 6 of Tier 2, just that realistically it's not to be expected. SOD could serve us well.

I'm unsure who would be best for us, but SOD is surely an option, especially if we can hang onto Anderson for a couple of years!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on October 04, 2015, 11:38:15 pm by PDX_Rover »
I'd quite like to see SOD work with this squad.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012