Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:45:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: S O'D sacked..  (Read 18842 times)

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
S O'D sacked..
« on October 08, 2015, 01:11:11 pm by nice one rovers »
..Please phone him up DRFC.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

grayx

• Forum Member
Re: S O'D sacked..
« Reply #1 on October 08, 2015, 01:16:10 pm by grayx »

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 08, 2015, 01:16:31 pm by Yorkiered »
Sorry wrong number

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 08, 2015, 01:18:34 pm by nice one rovers »
Having said that, he's probably changed his phone since he was here.
I'd have him here tomorrow.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 08, 2015, 01:20:51 pm by Yorkiered »
Having said that, he's probably changed his phone since he was here.
I'd have him here tomorrow.

I hope he has gone ex directory and we can't get hold of him.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 08, 2015, 01:21:01 pm by mushRTID »
I'd rather we moved on from him but you have to wonder if the unusually long process is because we are hanging on expecting him to get sacked?

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 08, 2015, 01:23:56 pm by nice one rovers »
I'd rather we moved on from him but you have to wonder if the unusually long process is because we are hanging on expecting him to get sacked?
I don't think so. It's more that our board are really slow and old fashioned.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 08, 2015, 01:25:23 pm by Yorkiered »
I don't think so. It's more that our board are really slow and old fashioned.

and possibly clueless as to what to do?

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 08, 2015, 01:27:05 pm by DannyRovers »
I'd take him back in a heart beat.

duggiesmyhero

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 08, 2015, 01:31:02 pm by duggiesmyhero »
Should have stayed as England's u19s manager. As for coming back to the Rovers, thanks but no thanks

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 08, 2015, 01:32:58 pm by Rovers91 »
No thanks things got stale under SOD we need fresh ideas.

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on October 08, 2015, 01:51:56 pm by roverstillidie91 »
I would have him back.

Would get us playing good football again and with how we are trying to improve on and off the pitch he would be a brilliant asset to bring the youngters through

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 08, 2015, 01:54:00 pm by dickos1 »
Why old fashioned and clueless?  It was obvious from the beginning that Jones would be given a chance to impress and it was also pretty obvious that it would be during this break that the appointment would be made

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 08, 2015, 01:57:12 pm by Copps is Magic »
One of the best coaches in the country, clear footballing philosophy, impeccable knowledge of young English talent, contacts within the game, knows the club and the league. He's in a different class to Clarke, Jones and Ferguson. That's probably why it's not going to happen.

LincsRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 08, 2015, 01:59:34 pm by LincsRover »
It won't happen, but I'd have him back with RJ as assistant - good cop, bad cop, SOD's tactical nous and RJ's motivational skills - match made in heaven? Well, IMHO a sh*t site better than Lee Clark or many of the names in the frame at the minute!!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 08, 2015, 02:01:49 pm by dickos1 »
What about the 1 win in 9 months when he got sacked? Also signed some shocking players de souza for one,
He was great for us but I think that ship has sailed

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 08, 2015, 02:04:50 pm by roverstillidie91 »
What about the 1 win in 9 months when he got sacked? Also signed some shocking players de souza for one,

Look at Jurgen Klopp, he took Borussia Dortmund to the brink of relegation last season but he is still highly sought after (now got the Liverpool job)

And haven't all club signed players which haven't turned out to be useful additions. Even the top clubs sometimes get this wrong.

Maybe the fact that we couldn't sign players better than the calibre of Souza was mainly to do with the budget and the attendances weren't growing in the championship so the budget only allowed for likes of Souza etc.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 08, 2015, 02:09:13 pm by dickos1 »
Dortmund qualified for Europe last season

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 08, 2015, 02:09:59 pm by dickos1 »
The signings argument can't be OK for one manager and not another

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 08, 2015, 02:10:30 pm by Rovers91 »

Look at Jurgen Klopp, he took Borussia Dortmund to the brink of relegation last season but he is still highly sought after (now got the Liverpool job)

And haven't all club signed players which haven't turned out to be useful additions. Even the top clubs sometimes get this wrong.

Maybe the fact that we couldn't sign players better than the calibre of Souza was mainly to do with the budget and the attendances weren't growing in the championship so the budget only allowed for likes of Souza etc.

Klopp had a bad start but they still finished 7th that position isn't close to relegation so that's a bad example. SOD ran out of ideas and teams sussed us out he had no plan B and that 1 win in 9 months was shocking we need someone new in with new ideas.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 08, 2015, 02:13:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Dortmund were in the bottom 3 in January though, which for a team that was expected to finish 2nd was embarrassing. He was given time and turned it around, perhaps SOD could have done the same?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 08, 2015, 02:13:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
Three points to consider.

1. Looking at who is feasibly available and removing any emotion either way, SOD is by far the best candidate in terms of getting promotion from this league, playing excellent football and keeping a small club in the Championship. Coupled with excellent contacts in the game from England and Liverpool experience.

2. I can't think of a single occasion when a manager going back to a club has replicated past successes.

3. SOD did well partially due to the yawning black hole in our accounts. Even spending money hand over fist could not keep us in the Championship in the end and we still had Souza, Naylor and Shelton as defenders. SOD would this time have budget far smaller than last time.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on October 08, 2015, 02:15:09 pm by Rovers91 »
Dortmund were in the bottom 3 in January though, which for a team that was expected to finish 2nd was embarrassing. He was given time and turned it around, perhaps SOD could have done the same?

With the way we were going in that run we were showing no signs it was going to end he was clueless in that run teams just sat back and we just passed it around with no idea.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 08, 2015, 02:16:28 pm by Copps is Magic »
2. I can't think of a single occasion when a manager going back to a club has replicated past successes.

Mourihno went back to Chelsea and did the league and league cup double. There will be more - that's just the first one that comes to mind.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 08, 2015, 02:20:24 pm by Chris Black come back »
Mourinho has won one title his time and has clearly now lost the plot. Be amazed if he sees season out and more amazed if he wins title again without literally billions being spent to pad out his squad. His first term sensational. His second term disappearing into obscurity.

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 08, 2015, 02:20:59 pm by DannyRovers »
I'm sure SOD will have grown as a coach and a manager since he left us. He's managed England U19's and Assistant at Liverpool. I'm sure he would come with fresh ideas and more than just plan 'A' which is essentially why he failed at the end with us as well as still having his good attributes.

Having said all that, that is probably exactly why he would never come back. May well be able to get a better job somewhere else.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 08, 2015, 02:23:52 pm by Copps is Magic »
Mourinho has won one title his time and has clearly now lost the plot. Be amazed if he sees season out and more amazed if he wins title again without literally billions being spent to pad out his squad. His first term sensational. His second term disappearing into obscurity.

As are the other title contenders spending the same amount of money. One bad season doesn't make him a bad manager.

I would be less inclined to put the case forward for SOD if any of the candidates in the running for the job were any good.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on October 08, 2015, 02:27:46 pm by RedJ »
Get a grip. He's not coming back.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 08, 2015, 02:33:10 pm by Canadian Rover »
If he had managed another club of our size and done what he'd done....we'd in the main welcome his appointment though surely?

Plus add to that you ask any rovers fan who we played the best football with and I'm sure 90%would say SOD.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 08, 2015, 02:38:01 pm by Yorkiered »
If he had managed another club of our size and done what he'd done....we'd in the main welcome his appointment though surely?

Plus add to that you ask any rovers fan who we played the best football with and I'm sure 90%would say SOD.

50% of the time yes. The other 50% possibly the worst we have had to endure.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012