Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:27:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: You wouldn't support any other club would ya.  (Read 3862 times)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
You wouldn't support any other club would ya.
« on December 24, 2015, 10:50:23 am by Copps is Magic »
As I got on the coach to Burton last week the free travel was obviously a bonus but the touch that made it was receiving the letter signed by Fergie and the club. As I looked around I could see the volunteers who run the coaches working hard making sure everyone was on and accounted for. Selfless work that provides a cheap service every week.

The away end at Burton was packed with chants new and old reverberating all game. I get back and read on Facebook of fans claiming there is a new re-found unity among the fans and at the club - 'Donny are back' as the commentary at Stoke goes. A few hours later the official facebook page has another round of pictures of the players celebrating, fists in the air, looks of ecstasy on their faces.

Vivarovers puts a call out for spare fanzines and delivers mine in two days. Then he announces he's donating £1,000 to well-chosen local charities. Yet more selfless acts.

In the space a few hours videos start to appear of our players sending personal get-well messages to a long-term fan who sadly passed away a few days ago. What great character from our players - Butler, Coppinger, Stuckmann, Grant et al.

I wouldn't support any other club. Coppinger, 12 years of service and still going strong. Keegan free-kick curlers, new self-produced talent coming through the ranks and talent produced elsewhere flourishing at our club. A manager who knows something about football. A board that continues to fund the club and deliver signings at available opportunities. Fans that have come together under the Black Bank name to improve the support of the club.

But it's not just the fact of doing well on the pitch. It's the selfless acts of the fans and the sense of community generated by supporting a smaller, local team who stays true and close to its fans - and who represents the town its situated in. That's what we've got. It means we feel the failings and idiosyncrasies a lot more vividly but moments of success are also felt more deeply and strongly. So, in the end, it's worth staying for.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: You wouldn't support any other club would ya.
« Reply #1 on December 24, 2015, 10:59:33 am by selby »
There is NO BETTER CLUB.
   Bigger in size probably,IN STATURE NEVER.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 24, 2015, 11:43:00 am by Prez »
Great post Copps  :rtid:

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 24, 2015, 12:05:43 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Great post. I love this club.

bally1950

« Reply #4 on December 24, 2015, 12:33:00 pm by bally1950 »
    Rovers
    Till
    I
    Die

Never a Truer Word.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 24, 2015, 01:31:28 pm by Al4475 »
Said before and even without my Rovers Tinted glasses on, having had the privilege of working alongside Burton, Stoke, Derby (among others) and various other sporting clubs in the last 20 years - DRFC are without doubt the VERY BEST to be involved with on so many levels.

I don't think we appreciate it all the time!

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 24, 2015, 01:53:04 pm by roversontheup »
Spot on post CIM. Our club is one to be really proud of on so many aspects.  Personally I think it has been so for quite a while but now we are producing the entertainment on the pitch again it has galvanised the fans.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 24, 2015, 03:34:07 pm by Red wizard »
The buzz around at the minute been missing for some years now. Its the best its been under DW TB. I'd go as far back as our second season in the championship when we last had a buzz, unity among us fans. Merry Christmas to all and long may it continue. RTID..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 24, 2015, 03:44:32 pm by drfchound »
A bloke i work with is a Man Utd "fan".
He has never been to see them play live and can't understand my passion for the Rovers.
He says he could never support a team that "flatlined" and had no hope of getting into the PL.
I tried to explain to him what it is like to follow a small town club who, in truth, would do well to stay in the Championship if we ever get promoted again.
It was at this point that he talked about us having no ambition and being a club that "isn't going anywhere" and that he has to support a team that has a chance of winning things.

I am proud to support the Rovers but to try to explain why to someone like him is very difficult.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 24, 2015, 04:05:49 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Well said DRFC hound.
It's that's his philosophy then why does he "support" a team with no ambition of winning the champions league?
I've made it my mission to make sure Donny Rovers is every footy supporters second favourite team (at worst).  Proud to be a fan of a real footy team and I mean it when I say, RTID.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 24, 2015, 04:15:53 pm by graingrover »
I think the club's community club mission has become a genuine reality and the benefits are tangible to all those close to Rovers . I would add thanks to Gavin B for initiating lots of community related actions .

les@donr

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 24, 2015, 04:45:40 pm by les@donr »
I live in Canada now, this board is a vital connection for me with fellow fans and the club. I am proud to be a Rovers, I've been through the highs and lows of the club and never once wanted to support another club.  :rtid:

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 24, 2015, 04:50:59 pm by niteowler »
Been a supporter since 1953 and been thro all the ups and downs and never once wanted to support any other team than the Rovers. Hope it can continue for a few more years to come. Brilliant post .

ridgewoodrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 24, 2015, 05:20:54 pm by ridgewoodrover »
Had a similar experience as the hound with a Man U fan at work , his reasoning was he'd rather pay more money & spend more time travelling to Manchester to watch as he put it a better quality product , he doesn't realise how much I despise him & his like .

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 24, 2015, 05:33:10 pm by roversontheup »
Rovers is in my blood. I could no more support another team as fly to the moon! Back in 1997 I asked the question of myself is I really thought Rovers would fold. I saw a future without footie but then along came John Ryan and the rest is a well documented history.

I wonder what happens to these hairy hunter fans if Man U etc when their team is no longer winning things? Do they move to another club?

I've had many conversations with fans of successful clubs over the years....usually started out of their ridiculing my support of Rovers. They just don't get it and in the end I decided it's not something I can explain to someone who doesn't feel the same. It's so easy supporting the Man Us of this world but I doubt they have ever really enjoyed the highs that I have had as a Rovers supporter because without all the lows the highs are nothing.

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 24, 2015, 05:39:12 pm by Hounslowrover »
I've watched a lot of Brentford games this season, and though they are my second team and my family's first team and the quality of football is better, there is no way I become as emotionally attached as with the Rovers. When Brentford lose, no problem, when I watch Rovers, it's totally different.
I can't understand supporters who never see their team play, except on tv, or were born and live in football towns and yet support other clubs.

niteowler

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 24, 2015, 05:46:06 pm by niteowler »
I can Hounslow, they are called Armchair Glory Hunters !

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 24, 2015, 08:11:46 pm by redbrez »
Football  supporting is like farts, !
when it's your own u don't mind , but its discusting  when it's someone else's.

I always say rovers are shite,  but at least it's my shite .

These fake fans will never have felt the rolarcoaster  of emotions that we have felt.
it would be good to convert some of these fans , but I think it's flogging a dead horse , but hey ho it's there loss.

Yorkiered

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 24, 2015, 08:28:36 pm by Yorkiered »
I can never get excited about any football team other than DRFC. That even includes the international team.
Having supported my team through thick and thin with the highs and lows (and there has been plenty of lows), travelling the length and breadth of thecountry I just cannot get  the same feeling watching anyone else.
There will only ever be one team for me "till I die"

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 24, 2015, 09:30:03 pm by Lesonthewest »
I've watched a lot of Brentford games this season, and though they are my second team and my family's first team and the quality of football is better, there is no way I become as emotionally attached as with the Rovers. When Brentford lose, no problem, when I watch Rovers, it's totally different.
I can't understand supporters who never see their team play, except on tv, or were born and live in football towns and yet support other clubs.

I agree, that is why they aren't & never will be true supporters Hounslow, followers maybe, supporters no chance. I cannot hold a conversation with said people, totally detached they are from the real meaning of 'supporting' a club, find them sad & shallow really, that doesn't include exiles or people with illness obviously.

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 25, 2015, 02:08:20 am by hoolahoop »
I love this club and of course our history. "Flatlined" I read the word  attached to the Rovers well that couldn't be further from the truth.

I have supported our club through the greatest highs and to of course it's extreme lows but always it's  been ours. We've never been some huge conglomerate , passionless, big city high roller club but by God we do strange and unexpected things. Beat huge clubs, appear and win in football's finest palaces, make great records and create the worst records why ?  Because we ARE different , we have a sense of purpose, a señse of belonging.

Supporter since it 67/8 and supporter until I die.

Roll on Boxing Day.........:)

RTID BB
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 02:11:25 am by hoolahoop »

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 25, 2015, 10:40:16 am by Prez »
I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing people wearing Leicester shirts around Donny.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 25, 2015, 10:42:42 am by idler »
Too late, I saw some 3 seasons ago and they weren't happy. Especially the goalie. 😉

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 25, 2015, 12:59:07 pm by Avsuptem »
Great post !.

I have supported DRFC for 55 years through thick and thin, mostly thin and although it has  not been the most rewarding hobby a man could ever have it has given me some tremendous highs along with the lows. I have not lived in Donny for 50 years but it is in my blood and always will be. No other club could ever come close. And it is great to be approaching 2016 with some genuinely justifiable optimism.

Best wishes for the new year to all fellow die hard fans.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012